Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:04 pm I have my A&P now....time to plan my escape from here...
For you civilians, that's an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic's license. They don't just hand those out to anyone who takes a three-hour online class. It's a big deal.

The fact that air travel is as safe as it is today is due more to the skill and professionalism of these folks than it is to the knowledge and quality control of the original aircraft builders.

Congratulations, Frater!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

(-D) :blackeye:
Los Angeles City Council President Steps Down After Racist Comments
In a meeting last year, Nury Martinez mocked Indigenous immigrants and the Black child of a fellow council member. She will remain on the council but relinquished her leadership role.

By Shawn Hubler and Jill Cowan
Published Oct. 9, 2022 Updated Oct. 10, 2022, 2:30 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES — The president of the Los Angeles City Council stepped down from her powerful leadership role on Monday after a leaked audio recording revealed racist and disparaging remarks that she had made about the Black child of a white council member, and about Indigenous immigrants in the city’s Koreatown neighborhood.

“I take responsibility for what I said, and there are no excuses for those comments. I’m so sorry,” Nury Martinez, the council president, said in a statement on Monday announcing that she would resign from the leadership role, but not from the council as some people had demanded. “As a mother, I know better and I am sorry. I am truly ashamed.”

The comments, which Ms. Martinez made during a meeting last year with two other council members and a labor official, exposed longstanding racial tensions in the governance of one of the nation’s most multicultural cities, as well as fault lines among the city’s Democrats.

In the profanity-laced recording, a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times and which was first reported by The Los Angeles Times on Sunday, Ms. Martinez, who is Latina, compared the Black child of a white council member to a “changuito,” Spanish for little monkey. She also called Oaxacan immigrants living in Koreatown “short little dark people.”

It was unclear who leaked the recording of the October 2021 meeting, which included Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León, council members representing parts of the city’s East Side, and Ron Herrera, president of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor. Also unknown was who made the recording, which was initially uploaded to Reddit earlier this month by an unidentified, now-suspended user, and continued to circulate via email after the post was taken down. No one has disputed the recording’s authenticity, and Ms. Martinez, Mr. de León and Mr. Herrera have issued apologies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/09/us/l ... -leak.html
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

O Ye..O Ye
L.A. L.A.
which way will you go today?
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Eric Andre: Police Stopped Me for Flying While Black. I’m Suing. Here’s Why.

Eric Andre
Mon, October 17, 2022 at 10:48 AM·

Last year, I was steps from completing what is, for most Americans, a mundane part of air travel—walking down the jet bridge from the airport gate to the plane—when the police stopped me.

They didn’t have any reason to stop me (a fact they have admitted). It’s just part of Flying While Black.

Shortly after I entered the jet bridge, two police officers stepped in front of me, blocking my path. They started rapid-fire questioning: Was I carrying any illegal drugs? Cocaine? Meth? Pills? Why was I traveling? Could they see my ID?

I didn’t see any other Black people boarding at that time.

The officers were part of a local Clayton County Police drug interdiction task force, whose job it is to lurk at the end of jet bridges and accost unsuspecting passengers. Police call these passenger encounters “consensual.” That’s based on the fiction that passengers have the power to ignore the officers and their questions, even though officers have chosen the exact place and time—passing through the narrow jet bridge—when passengers will feel least free to ignore them.

We all learn that airport security is important and we should obey officers. They never inform passengers they have a right to simply ignore them, and it is hard to imagine people choosing to do so. And then there is the fact that people of color are drilled repeatedly about the dangers of ignoring police “requests.”

The officers who stopped me that day at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport did not know who I was. They had no reason to suspect me of any crime. When I asked why I was being singled out, I was told what Black men are told every day by police: that it was a “random” search.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eric-andre-p ... 31889.html
(original DailyBeast)
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:40 pm
Eric Andre: Police Stopped Me for Flying While Black. I’m Suing. Here’s Why.

Eric Andre
Mon, October 17, 2022 at 10:48 AM·

Last year, I was steps from completing what is, for most Americans, a mundane part of air travel—walking down the jet bridge from the airport gate to the plane—when the police stopped me.

They didn’t have any reason to stop me (a fact they have admitted). It’s just part of Flying While Black.

Shortly after I entered the jet bridge, two police officers stepped in front of me, blocking my path. They started rapid-fire questioning: Was I carrying any illegal drugs? Cocaine? Meth? Pills? Why was I traveling? Could they see my ID?

I didn’t see any other Black people boarding at that time.

The officers were part of a local Clayton County Police drug interdiction task force, whose job it is to lurk at the end of jet bridges and accost unsuspecting passengers. Police call these passenger encounters “consensual.” That’s based on the fiction that passengers have the power to ignore the officers and their questions, even though officers have chosen the exact place and time—passing through the narrow jet bridge—when passengers will feel least free to ignore them.

We all learn that airport security is important and we should obey officers. They never inform passengers they have a right to simply ignore them, and it is hard to imagine people choosing to do so. And then there is the fact that people of color are drilled repeatedly about the dangers of ignoring police “requests.”

The officers who stopped me that day at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport did not know who I was. They had no reason to suspect me of any crime. When I asked why I was being singled out, I was told what Black men are told every day by police: that it was a “random” search.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eric-andre-p ... 31889.html
(original DailyBeast)
I used to fly Melbourne to Sydney on Monday and back on Friday. For about 40 weeks. I got picked for a drug scan maybe 5 times in Sydney. I am of Scottish/English border ancestry as far back as anyone has been able to find records of. The first of my name was a Saxon turncoat that let Willy the Norman's troops into the city back in 1072 and was rewarded with a small 'earldom' (didn't call it that then).
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

My wife gets regularly stopped at airports for Drug/Bomb tests... middle age, Scots/Irish/English... it must be the Irish... :shrug:
While I rarely am... :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:shock: :mad:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:10 am He gives away the game at the end, he was never going to watch it anyway.
Jason Campbell @JasonSCampbell wrote: Daily Wire host says it is unscientific to cast a Black person as a mermaid: “From a scientific perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have someone with darker skin who lives deep in the ocean”
https://mediamatters.org/daily-wire/dai ... on-mermaid
Fish that inhabit different depths have different coloration ranges depending on depth. It’s quite believable to give a mermaid living at mid depths darker coloration. But seriously, what is the point of nitpicking about fantasy, do these people really not understand all of what they are ranting about are completely made up? Never mind, clearly racist bullshit is the point.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

You happen have this dark creature here, please explain how deep down the the mermaid is living?
How deep can a whale dive? - Natural History Museum

The deepest recorded dive was 2,992 metres, breaking the record for diving mammals. Experts have suggested that this dive was unusually deep for this species. A more normal depth would be 2,000 metres. Sperm whales also regularly dive 1,000 to 2,000 metres deep.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/quick-qu ... -dive.html
Into the depths: Shark diving behaviour revealed

Thirteen species were found to dive to depths greater than one kilometre beneath the surface. Whale sharks were found to dive to a staggering 1,896m while great white sharks were recorded diving deeper than 1,200m, providing new and important insights into the behaviour of these ocean giants.

https://oceanographicmagazine.com/featu ... olumn-zsl/
And as you were citing "science", how about the research on the breathing aparatus of mermaids? :rotflmao:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:52 pm You happen have this dark creature here, please explain how deep down the the mermaid is living?
How deep can a whale dive? - Natural History Museum

The deepest recorded dive was 2,992 metres, breaking the record for diving mammals. Experts have suggested that this dive was unusually deep for this species. A more normal depth would be 2,000 metres. Sperm whales also regularly dive 1,000 to 2,000 metres deep.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/quick-qu ... -dive.html
Into the depths: Shark diving behaviour revealed

Thirteen species were found to dive to depths greater than one kilometre beneath the surface. Whale sharks were found to dive to a staggering 1,896m while great white sharks were recorded diving deeper than 1,200m, providing new and important insights into the behaviour of these ocean giants.

https://oceanographicmagazine.com/featu ... olumn-zsl/
And as you were citing "science", how about the research on the breathing aparatus of mermaids? :rotflmao:
Now that sounds like something legitimate to rant about. :lol:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nationa ... t/3949110/
University of Kentucky Permanently Bans Student Accused of Hurling Racist Slurs at Black Student
The University of Kentucky has permanently banned a white former student accused of physically assaulting a Black student worker while repeatedly using racial slurs.

Sophia Rosing is no longer a student at the university following the incident Sunday and will not be allowed to reenroll, university President Eli Capilouto said in a message to the UK community Wednesday. The school's investigation continues.

Rosing had been set to graduate in May. She will seek help for the issues she has, her attorney, Fred Peters, said Tuesday.

Campus police charged Rosing with first and second offenses of alcohol intoxication in a public place, third-degree assault of a police officer, fourth-degree assault and second-degree disorderly conduct, according to an arrest report.

Rosing pleaded not guilty to the charges Monday afternoon and bonded out of jail later in the day.

The altercation at Boyd Hall was captured on video and posted to multiple social media platforms. Kylah Spring, a freshman working as a desk clerk, says in the video that Rosing hit her multiple times and kicked her in the stomach. Spring said the attack began when she asked Rosing, who appeared to be intoxicated, if she was OK.

Spring, who was working an overnight shift, never retaliated and said at one point: “I don’t get paid enough for this.”
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The Tennessee Holler @TheTNHoller wrote: WHITE AUSTIN, TX TEACHER TO BLACK STUDENTS: “I think my race is the superior one.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

That teacher (soon to be former teacher) is on administrative leave while H.R. completes the investigation.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I wasn't sure where to put this but I'm reading Zero Fail and about the three drug users in Colorado who wanted to kill Obama. Looked up one of them. He's gotten deeper in the hole; he didn't get a very long sentence then but has since. And now he's in trouble for drugs in prison.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/l ... ates-mail/
FORT COLLINS, Colo. (CBS4) -- Nine male inmates and three female accomplices have been charged following the takedown of a drug trafficking organization that provided illicit drugs to inmates through their incoming mail.

Investigators discovered paper soaked in narcotics, ink on the paper infused with narcotics, and narcotics hidden in the seams of commercially available envelopes, authorities stated in a joint press release.

Fentanyl, methamphetamine, and Suboxone strips were found in the mail sent to various inmates.

Shawn Adolf Chapman, 47 – 2nd degree conspiracy to introduce contraband (F6), conspiracy to commit money laundering (F4), and conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance (DF4).
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Woman stabbed teen multiple times on Indiana bus for being Chinese, according to affidavit

Michelle De Pacina
Fri, January 13, 2023 at 11:31 PM GMT+1

A woman was arrested for stabbing an 18-year-old girl in the head multiple times on a Bloomington Transit bus in Indiana.

Billie R. Davis, 56, repeatedly stabbed the teen using a pocket knife while she was waiting for the bus doors to open at the intersection of West Fourth Street and the B-Line Trail at around 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday, according to police.

Bloomington Police Department officers responded to the scene and the victim, who had “blood flowing from her head,” was rushed to the hospital.

Although her medical condition is currently unavailable, she was able to speak to investigators regarding the incident.

More from NextShark: 26 million Shanghai residents placed on two-stage lockdown amid COVID-19 surge

According to the police's review of the stabbing, footage from Bus No. 1777 showed no interaction between the two women prior to the attack.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-stabbe ... 56189.html
(original: Nextshark)

comment: still covid hysteria?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

UPDATED: Police arrest woman in unprovoked stabbing on Bloomington bus

Laura Lane, The Herald-Times
Fri, January 13, 2023 at 8:15 PM GMT+1

Police say a 56-year-old woman stabbed a fellow Bloomington Transit bus passenger in the head Wednesday afternoon as the victim waited to disembark at the B-Line Trail downtown.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-arres ... 50153.html
(original: The Herald-Times)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Houston-

‘The damage is immeasurable’: Woman breaks into Jewish temple, desecrates sanctuary and Torah, then returns to scare children, prosecutors say

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... utors-say/
Last Saturday, Winsor says a rabbi getting ready to officiate a Bar Mitzvah at Congregation Emanu El walked into an unholy surprise.

”He found an individual on the pulpit,” Winsor says.

That individual was identified as Ezra Law, and Winsor says she wasn’t there to pray.

”There were several religious items that had been removed from their place. Some were damaged, there was red wine that had been consumed and also spilled,” she said.

The allegations get even more sacrilegious.

”Most importantly, there was a Torah scroll that was removed from the Holy Arc and spread out on the floor. And there was red wine that was spilled on that scroll,” she said.

:snippity:

Law was arrested, but prosecutors say instead of showing up to court for her arraignment Friday, she returned to the congregation.

She allegedly screamed and shouted at preschool children during their chapel service, then left before officials could arrive.

A warrant was quickly issued for her arrest.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Not racism (maybe underlying though) but a mental health problem - imho.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:34 pm Not racism (maybe underlying though) but a mental health problem - imho.
Why not both? :think:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.

Return to “Current Politics”