Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by raison de arizona »

Would you be surprised if I told you this was mtg’s district? Because it’s mtg’s district.
After white students displayed Confederate flag at school, Black students suspended for planning protest

Story at a glance:
  • White students at Coosa High School in Georgia waved the Confederate flag and hurled racial slurs leading up to homecoming.
  • The students with the Confederate flag did not face repercussions.
  • School administrators suspended several students of color who were protesting. Two white protesters were left unpunished.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... -at-school
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

covfefe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 am Would you be surprised if I told you this was mtg’s district? Because it’s mtg’s district.
:snippity:
Nope, and you folks think I exaggerate when speaking about north GA hillbillies.... :whistle:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Grossly Negligent’: Black Disabled Student ‘Singled Out’ By Police and Arrested, While Her Mother Was Detained Over Drawing of a Bully at a Hawaii Elementary School

By Angelina Velasquez |
October 21, 2021

The wrongful arrest of a disabled 10-year-old Black girl and unlawful detainment of her mother has become the catalyst behind demands for school-level change in Hawaii.

At the helm of the demands is the American Civil Liberties Union, which claims the mother, Tamara Taylor, and her daughter were both traumatized by an incident that occurred last year at Honowai Elementary.

On Jan. 10, 2020, Taylor and the ACLU alleged her daughter — who is diagnosed as having attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — was “singled out” by school police for drawing an offensive sketch in retaliation to a non-Black student that was bullying her.

While the ACLU argues that drawing is an outlet utilized in the student’s treatment and in therapy for ADHD, none of that was taken into consideration when school officials removed her from class to be interrogated by police.

Taylor said she was notified of the incident and immediately made her way to the school. There she spoke with school officials and officers in a separate part of the building, all the while assuming her child had remained in class.

Taylor was informed that the parent of the other student had requested police be called and was considering pressing charges. When Taylor asked if mediation would be possible, school officials seemingly sided with the other child’s parent.

At that point, she was made aware that her child was no longer in class, and instead being held in a “cold” room with officers who had handcuffed her. Taylor’s request to be reunited with her child during the questioning was denied.

“DOE [Department of Education] was grossly negligent in not taking reasonable steps to prevent such absurd affect, while also taking extraordinary and offensive steps to prevent Ms. Taylor from protecting — or even speaking with — her own child,” the ACLU wrote.

In the end, Taylor was forced to stand by in horror as her handcuffed daughter was transported by police to the station. She was also suspended from school.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2021/10/21 ... ry-school/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Diversity expert hired to help with workplace diversity loses job offer because he wants to promote...diversity.

(NBC via yahoo)
https://news.yahoo.com/black-chief-dive ... 14896.html

Sounds like a lot of companies are going thru the motions, hiring someone of color so they can say, "Look how diverse we are!" when what they really want is a POC who will parrot their existing policy and say, "This is fine."1
A hospital sought a Black expert's help to diversify. They fired him over his stance on race.
► Show Spoiler
1. See current acting Florida Surgeon General, soon to be voted on. This is the guy who refused to wear a mask when paying a call to a state senator (with breast cancer) who asked he put on a mask. Not only did he refuse, he made a remark as he exited about trying to reason with unreasonable people.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I remember as a kid seeing Cadillacs parked front of derelict shanties as we drove around the South (AL, GA, FL). My Dad explained it thus: Nobody will sell or rent a decent house to black folks, but they'll see them a car they can't afford so it will get repossessed and they lose their money. It was a diabolical plan I didn't not fully comprehend until much later in life.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/phila ... uxbndlbing
Philadelphia to become first major US city to ban police from stopping drivers for low-level traffic violations

The Driving Equality Bill, passed 14-2 by the city council on October 14, categorizes certain motor vehicle code violations as "primary violations," which allow officers to pull people over in the name of public safety, and "secondary violations" that don't meet the criteria for a lawful traffic stop, according to the office of Councilmember Isaiah Thomas, who authored the bill.

Once the Driving Equality Bill is signed into law, the Philadelphia police will work on directive amendments and necessary training. Max Weisman, a spokesperson for Councilmember Thomas, said the police department has exhibited support for the bill and has negotiated in "good faith."

The bill was informed by the development of the Bailey pilot program, a result of the 2011 settlement agreement of Bailey v. City of Philadelphia, which requires the police department to collect data on all stop-and-frisks and store it in an electronic database. The lawsuit alleged that thousands of people in Philadelphia are illegally stopped, frisked and detained by police officers.

Low-level offenses such as registration plate and bumper issues will now be categorized as secondary offenses, which bar officers from conducting traffic stops, unless there is an additional high-level safety violation, according to the Philadelphia police department.

"We believe this is a fair and balanced approach to addressing racial disparity without compromising public safety," the department said in a statement. "This modified enforcement model for car stops furthers the Department's priority of addressing the issue of racial disparity in the Department's investigative stops and complements the Department's efforts to address these same issues in pedestrian stops."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/black-stu ... sm-is-rife
A 10-year-old Black girl who was a student in a Utah school district that had been the subject of a federal racism investigation hanged herself over the weekend, leaving her family distraught over what they say were unanswered calls to address bullying.

The girl’s mom, Brittany Tichenor, said she had contacted the Davis School District “multiple times” to discuss how her daughter Isabella was mistreated by her peers after starting fifth grade just months ago. Through sobs, Tichenor described during a news conference the relentless teasing that her daughter—one of just a few Black students at the Foxboro Elementary School—had endured without much help from school administrators.

“Even though my baby is gone, I’m going to make sure that I stand for Izzy,” Tichenor said on Monday. “And I’m going to make sure—for voices that can’t be heard like hers—that this will never happen again to any kid.”

The Salt Lake Tribune first reported on the tragic death of Isabella, who was also autistic, within months of the start of the new school year.
OMG :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Arson suspect accused of setting fire to Austin synagogue on Halloween arrested
AUSTIN, Texas — A man suspected of setting fire to the Congregation Beth Israel synagogue on Halloween has been arrested, the Austin Fire Department said Wednesday.

The incident happened at around 9 p.m. on October 31st at 3901 Shoal Creek Boulevard.

The suspect, in this case, has been identified as 18-year-old Franklin Barrett Sechriest. He faces a felony charge of arson in the first degree.

An arrest affidavit for Sechriest says fire crews arrived at the scene and found the front of the synagogue in flames. Investigators later arrived at the scene to determine how and what caused the fire. It was determined that the fire was an act of arson as investigators noticed burns consistent with the use of a liquid accelerant. The affidavit also said an estimated $25,000 in damages occurred to the structure due to the fire.
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/afd-ar ... gogue-fire
Lani

Post by Lani »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:29 pm
‘Grossly Negligent’: Black Disabled Student ‘Singled Out’ By Police and Arrested, While Her Mother Was Detained Over Drawing of a Bully at a Hawaii Elementary School

By Angelina Velasquez |
October 21, 2021

The wrongful arrest of a disabled 10-year-old Black girl and unlawful detainment of her mother has become the catalyst behind demands for school-level change in Hawaii.

On Jan. 10, 2020, Taylor and the ACLU alleged her daughter — who is diagnosed as having attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — was “singled out” by school police for drawing an offensive sketch in retaliation to a non-Black student that was bullying her.
UPDATE!
But Vanic made clear HPD has a different perspective on the incident.

“To be clear, the ‘drawing’ was a graphic drawing of a girl holding and pointing a gun with a severed head at her feet,” Vanic said. “Your client also wrote a clear message addressed to two classmates by name, using foul language: ‘Stand down B**ch! Yo F**kin days are over NOW’ and ‘Fake to me And DED.'”

Vanic also said that it was “extremely misleading” for the attorneys to characterize the drawing as an “offensive sketch of a student.”

“A threat to shoot and kill another student is, and must be considered to be, ‘a threat of significant harm to someone,’ which you acknowledge is something officers could arrest a student for on school property,” Vanic said. “Thus, the arrest of your client on school property is consistent with your own assessment of the situation.”
https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/11/hpd-t ... ds-arrest/

However, ACLU responds:
“N.B. had no disciplinary record involving harming other students, was not violent, did not have weapons, and complied with the school and police that day,” the lawyers wrote. “She did not have the means to injure other students and did not pose a threat or danger to anyone. If the school had complied with disability law, they would have called counselors instead of HPD, and we would not have seen a child handcuffed and taken away in front of her peers.”

The lawyers also said that HPD left something “critical” out of its response.

“N.B. was not the only student who contributed to the drawing, and she did not want it turned over to the other student,” they wrote. “Also, N.B. the only Black child involved, was singled out. None of the other students involved were even questioned, let alone handcuffed. If the threat was sufficiently serious to cause real fear of harm, all of the students involved would have received the same treatment.”
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

Black Texas teen tased by students dressed as KKK members, lawyer says
Attorney Matt Manning is representing the young man who he says was tased Halloween night Manning, says they've learned that there were at least six victims.

Manning said his client, a black teenager, was hit with a taser, or taser-like device, by a group of students dressed as members of the Ku Klux Klan on Oct. 31.

Manning, in a statement on Facebook, said he was "infuriated because I learned, from multiple sources, that another, even younger victim was terrorized by these depraved menaces that same night."
“We're not dealing with kids who just happened to get into a fight, we're not dealing with kids who happened to be engaged in high school Hijinx we're talking a specific act of terror where they are emulating the members of a terrorist organization," said Manning.
Woodsboro ISD said in their statement that they will "continue to cooperate with law enforcement during the criminal investigation," but they say they cannot discipline the students for the conduct since it occurred off-campus.
https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/loc ... 546f916a67
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1 ... wd-control
Let's get at the root cause of Astroworld tragedy. It's bigger than Travis Scott

Nine days after at least eight people were killed during rapper Travis Scott's set at the Astroworld festival at NRG Park, journalists are asking all the right questions: What could have been done to prevent the tragedy? Who should the onus fall on to ensure crowd safety? Knowing what we know—what we have known for decades—why are these tragedies still happening? I would add another essential question to the list: How do we avoid one set of rules for Black musicians and another for white?

It's a question that would be too late to ask in other entertainment businesses, namely nightclubs at which it's common practice for venues to drive up the cost of entry or staff added security on their one hip-hop night a month. Black nightclub owners marched through Chicago's Near North Side last June to protest discrimination and racial targeting driving them out of the area. Asa “Duce” Powell, a nightclub owner and long-time promoter, told the Chicago Sun-Times that the city police department's Near North Side District has been running Black people out of downtown "simply because of the color of their skin for at least 20 years."

Promoter Monique Taylor told the Portland Mercury a year earlier that so many Black-owned hip-hop clubs have been shut down in the last decade in Portland, Oregon, that she can't keep track of them. She described "constant police surveillance of her parties, and discriminatory club policies she’s seen go unchecked by law enforcement." When she once asked an officer why he frequently stood outside one hip-hop club, she told the Portland Mercury his answer was: "‘We don’t like hip-hop. We don’t want all these ghetto Black people in here.’"

It is sentiments like that officer's that make any conversation about greater restriction in the name of public safety an issue of race requiring legislation applied equally to protect all concert crowds. Keith Still, a visiting professor at the University of Suffolk and a crowd safety expert, told The Washington Post that "sadly, the music industry hasn't learned anything" from its decades-long history of concert stampedes. In 1979, 11 people were killed when thousands of people packed the outside of a Cincinnati music venue in the hopes of seeing the British rock band The Who, the Post reported. In 1991, three teens were killed when an AC/DC crowd in Salt Lake City rushed the stage, crushing the children.
Edit:
► Show Spoiler
I enjoy Lauren Floyd's thorough reporting.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1 ... a-s-racism
Even being an Olympic gold medalist doesn’t prevent you from being a target of America’s racism

Although anti-Asian hate crimes are no longer a topic of interest in the media, that doesn’t mean they have come to an end. Since the pandemic started, crimes against the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) have been reported daily. Between 2019 to 2020 alone, the U.S. had seen a 76% rise in crimes targetting AAPI community members.

While many of these crimes target the elderly and often go unreported, one’s profession and age do not deter them from being a victim. In a recent hate crime that has made headlines, Olympian gold gymnast Sunisa (Suni) Lee said she was attacked with pepper spray in Los Angeles. Lee became famous when she brought home not one but three medals, including one gold, after the 2020 Olympics. The 18-year-old made history as the first Asian American to bring home a gold medal in the all-around gymnastics competition.

In an interview with PopSugar, she shared that she and a group of friends, all of Asian descent, were waiting for an Uber in Los Angeles when a car drove by and shouted at the group. Amongst racial slurs, the people inside the vehicle allegedly called for the group to “go back to where [they] came from.” One person even pepper-sprayed Lee on her arm before the car drove away.

“I was so mad, but there was nothing I could do or control because they skirted off,” Lee told PopSugar. “I didn’t do anything to them, and having the reputation, it’s so hard because I didn’t want to do anything that could get me into trouble. I just let it happen.”
A resource for bystanders:
https://www.advancingjustice-chicago.or ... fVvKI6pwkM
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.advancingjustice-chicago.or ... fVvKI6pwkM
BYSTANDER INTERVENTION TRAININGS

To combat the current rise in harassment and discrimination and to also proactively prepare for the future increase of hate incidents, Advancing Justice | Chicago is partnering with New York-based nonprofit Hollaback! and CAIR-Chicago to plan and implement an aggressive scaling up of locally-led bystander hate incident intervention trainings for community members.

Attend a Training

Thursday, November 18, 5:00PM CST: Register here

Wednesday, December 8, 12:30PM CST: Register here

Wednesday, January 12, 10:00AM CST: Register here

Thursday, January 20, 12:30PM CST: Register here

Monday, January 24, 5:00PM CST: Register here

Monday, February 7, 10:00AM CST: Register here

Wednesday, February 16, 12:30PM CST: Register here

Thursday, February 24, 5:00PM CST: Register here

We periodically update this page with new training dates.

Our AJ affiliate has completed over 150,000 trainings since launching July 2021.
raison de arizona

Holla Back does some great bystander training as well: https://www.ihollaback.org/bystanderintervention/
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Because standing there accusing the guy for 5 minutes is soooo much easier than just calling the fucking phone first thing.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:12 pm The Confederacy of slave owners loses again...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-09/ ... /100445558

A crowd erupted in cheers as work crews hoisted a statue of US Confederate general Robert E Lee off the giant pedestal where it has towered over Virginia's capital city for more than a century.

:shrug:
A Time Capsule Beneath a Lee Statue Reveals More Mysteries
Conservators spent hours carefully prying open the container, which had been hidden beneath a monument to the Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

By Eduardo Medina
Dec. 22, 2021

After about five hours of meticulous prying and poking, the time had come on Wednesday afternoon for Gov. Ralph Northam to lift the lid of a time capsule that had been hidden beneath a statue of Robert E. Lee in Richmond, Va., since 1887.

The hands of Kate Ridgway, one of the conservators doing the prying and poking, had begun to blister.

“No pressure,” she told Mr. Northam.

Inside, they found unexpected and seemingly random items: an 1875 almanac, a waterlogged book of fiction, a British coin, a catalog, one letter and a photograph of James Netherwood, a master stonemason who worked on the Robert E. Lee pedestal.

“We have not yet made sense of why this assortment was placed in the box,” said Julie Langan, director of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. “It’s an odd assortment.”

The time capsule was first recovered last week by historians, who had failed to find it in September, when the statue was taken down. They strategized over the weekend about how to delicately recover the container from the 1,500-pound block of granite that it was nestled in.

But after an X-ray scan and careful chipping with power saws and wedges, the removal process was over.

The time capsule, however, was not the coveted one that was described in newspaper accounts from 1887, a capsule which was reportedly placed beneath the same statue and rumored to contain a rare photo of Abraham Lincoln in his coffin, Ms. Langan said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/22/us/t ... tatue.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:think:
Crews find second apparent 1887 time capsule under Robert E Lee statue
Long-sought-after item could contain artifacts, Confederate memorabilia and even a rare photo of Abraham Lincoln

Associated Press
Tue 28 Dec 2021 00.28 GMT

Crews wrapping up the removal Monday of a giant pedestal that once held a statue of Confederate Gen Robert E Lee in Richmond found what appeared to be a second and long-sought-after time capsule, Virginia governor Ralph Northam said.

The governor tweeted photos of a box being removed from the site and said conservators were studying the artifact.

“They found it! This is likely the time capsule everyone was looking for,” he tweeted.

The governor said the box would not be opened Monday. It wasn’t immediately clear what kind of condition any contents might be in.

The development marked the latest turn in a months-long search for the capsule, which contemporaneous news accounts indicate was placed during a cornerstone-laying ceremony in 1887 attended by thousands of people. News accounts described its dozens of donated artifacts, including Confederate memorabilia. Based on historical records, some have also speculated the capsule might contain a rare photo of deceased President Abraham Lincoln.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... lee-statue
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Idaho Republican ‘Community Leader’ Freaks Out Over Hershey’s Commercial Featuring Black Family
The Daily Beast reported Lisa Leisy lost it on social media after seeing an old Hershey commercial depicting a Black family reveling in the holiday spirit.

Written By NewsOne Staff
Posted December 5, 2021

Alocal Republican “community leader” based in Idaho was blasted recently for a racist since-deleted Tweet complaining about a commercial showing a Black family enjoying the holidays. The Daily Beast reported Lisa Leisy lost it on social media after seeing an old Hershey commercial depicting a Black family reveling in the holiday spirit.

Writer Tim Peacock said the incident was basically “the 2021 GOP in a nutshell.”

As of Sunday, Leisy no longer had her affiliation with Idaho Lt. Gov Janice McGeachin’s gubernatorial campaign listed in her Twitter bio. Her tweets were also protected. She lists herself as anti-vaxx local leader. It is unclear if she is still affiliated with McGeachin’s campaign.

But given the stunts McGeachin has pulled this year alone, it’s unclear if Leisy went too far for the gubernatorial candidate. Back in May, McGeachin used a short stint as acting governor to issue an executive order banning mask mandates.

Leisy’s Instagram account god.and.patriotism was still public with a recent post sharing a statement from Donald Trump continuing the false narrative of “election fraud” during the 2020 election. Leisy seems to support extremist Republican candidates and party figures from her social media.

https://newsone.com/4256667/idaho-repub ... ck-family/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
@startelegram
Developing story: All residents in the immediate area of Congregation Beth Israel are being evacuated, and people are asked to avoid the area.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... 5e278190bd
COLLEYVILLE, Texas — Police on Saturday morning were evacuating residents of a Colleyville neighborhood while SWAT officers responded to a hostage situation.

The Colleyville Police Department tweeted about the situation shortly after 11:30 a.m.

Police were "conducting SWAT operations" near the 6100 block of Pleasant Run Road, near Tinker Road and Highway 26. An officer at the scene confirmed that the situation was a hostage incident, but more information had not yet been confirmed by officials.
Synagogue was conducting a streamed service when they were attacked.

Return to “Current Politics”