Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
pipistrelle

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by pipistrelle »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:06 am It's going around the social media now. I expect it to change soon. I should screen shot it, but it's too damned depressing.
The second search turns this up.

https://theshaderoom.com/google-explain ... exclusive/
Google Explains Why A Search For ‘Unprofessional Hairstyles’ Shows Mostly Black People (Exclusive)

BY CHRISTINA CALLOWAY
10 June 2020

“Our Google Images search systems rely on a number of factors, including word matching, to surface results,” Cathy Edwards, VP of Google Images, tells us. “For many of the results, the words ‘unprofessional hairstyles’ appear in the articles, and many of these stories are rightly denouncing the discrimination people of color face when it comes to their hair.”
FWIW.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Truth or Fiction had a story on this last year. It appears the algorithm, among other things, was picking up blogs and such with discussions on bias in hairstyles based on race. Thus, the unprofessional search is linking to images on pages that are actually denouncing racism in the view of professional or unprofessional hairstyles.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/professi ... e-results/
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 am Truth or Fiction had a story on this last year. It appears the algorithm, among other things, was picking up blogs and such with discussions on bias in hairstyles based on race. Thus, the unprofessional search is linking to images on pages that are actually denouncing racism in the view of professional or unprofessional hairstyles.

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 274#p51272
northland10

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:54 am
northland10 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 am Truth or Fiction had a story on this last year. It appears the algorithm, among other things, was picking up blogs and such with discussions on bias in hairstyles based on race. Thus, the unprofessional search is linking to images on pages that are actually denouncing racism in the view of professional or unprofessional hairstyles.

Yeah, you done ninga'd me. You replied while I was busy working on mine.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:41 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:54 am

Yeah, you done ninga'd me. You replied while I was busy working on mine.
Just checking to see if this thing is on.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I was not properly coffee'd when I did it so I did not even notice after I posted. It would also explain why it took me so long to post it that I missed your update.

Monday morning mind.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Sounds like they need some new laws, or better application of existing ones.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:18 pm Sounds like they need some new laws, or better application of existing ones.
Why do I suspect that if the family retaliated with nearly identical behavior back, the police would all of a sudden find that such behavior is indeed covered by nuisance laws.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Retaliate with a noise activated sound system the is highly directional that blasts back Barrack’s 2nd inauguration speech…

Edit..
Yeah… that isn’t going to make things better for the family, the racist will just escalate and being that sort of piece of excrement - will probably target the child.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

neeneko wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:20 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:18 pm Sounds like they need some new laws, or better application of existing ones.
Why do I suspect that if the family retaliated with nearly identical behavior back, the police would all of a sudden find that such behavior is indeed covered by nuisance laws.
IANAL but this does not sound like free speech or even a nuisance issue but harassment directed specifically at a protected class, race. It is not an attempt to express an opinion but to annoy the family until they leave.

They should place up Black Live Matters signs along their driveway blocking the motion sensors from sensing movement in the driveway. Either that or spend 5 hours drive back and forth on their driveway until their asshole neighbors (and the other ones) get annoyed with the noise and lights. 12-5am would be a perfect time. Maybe some lawn ornament that always moves.
Lani

Post by Lani »

They can sue him. For example:

An African-American family that sued a white neighbor in Mount Prospect for what was said to be ongoing, racially motivated harassment has agreed to settle the case for an undisclosed amount of money and an apology.

Iris Howe and her two adult children, Sidney Powell and Samuel Mobley, claimed in the civil lawsuit that their neighbor, Terry Calliari, repeatedly taunted them with racial slurs, followed them and blocked their paths with her car and attempted to prevent them from using the complex pool.

Howe and her children, who lived across the street from Calliari, "have been denied basic rights to live in their home and enjoy the use of their property and community peacefully, without racially motivated intimidation, interference, harassment and the threat of violence," according to documents filed in 2014 in Cook County.

Attorneys for both parties said they could not disclose the terms of the settlement and that, while Calliari agreed to apologize to Howe and her children in court, Calliari did not admit to wrongdoing.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

could also be in cops behaving badly
Michaels stores and Brooklyn Center police discriminated against Black teen, Human Rights Department finds
BY: MAX NESTERAK - SEPTEMBER 23, 2021 10:49 AM

The Minnesota Department of Human Rights announced on Thursday that Michaels, the craft store chain, and the Brooklyn Center Police Department racially discriminated against a Black teenager who wanted to apply for a job and was instead roughly arrested without cause.

“The facts of this case are both shocking and unsurprising. There was no reason for Michaels to call the police. And no Black child should ever have to plead for their life from police,” said Minnesota Department of Human Rights Commissioner Rebecca Lucero in a statement.

Having found probable cause for racial discrimination, the department will next require structural changes in the police department and Michaels through a settlement as well as monetary relief for the teenager.

The findings come as Brooklyn Center leaders are trying to remake the police department after former officer Kim Potter shot and killed Daunte Wright, a Black 20-year-old, during a traffic stop in April, leading to dayslongs protests outside the police station.

The Human Rights Department is currently investigating the Minneapolis Police Department to see if it has engaged in a pattern of racial discrimination over the past decade. That investigation was opened in the wake of the police murder of George Floyd on May 25, 2020.

A lawsuit filed by the Human Rights Department against the city of Minneapolis forced the department to implement a series of immediate reforms, including a ban on chokeholds, a requirement for officers to intervene if they witness excessive force and that the police chief make timely disciplinary decisions and publish them to the city’s website.

According to the Human Rights Department’s report on the Michaels incident, the 16-year-old went to Shingle Creek Crossing store in Brooklyn Center on March 19, 2019 and behaved “like a typical customer,” according to surveillance video described in the report.

A manager — a white woman also not named — called 911 to report that a Black “kid” with dreadlocks was “going through the store, playing with the balls… knocking stuff off shelves,” and that he wouldn’t leave after repeatedly being asked to do so.

Surveillance video shows the teenager did juggle a few items but put them back, while another store employee testified that he was not acting out of the norm and there was no reason to call the police on him.

The manager had a history of racial discrimination, according to the Department of Human Rights, whose investigators interviewed employees at the store. One employee told investigators that the manager “instructed employees to surveil and track all Black customers who entered the store, but only instructed employees to track white customers who appeared to be under the influence of drugs.”

The teenager did leave when asked by the manager but reentered in protest, believing he was asked to leave because he was Black.

The manager then had another store employee block the teen from reentering and called 911 again to report that the “tyrant customer” had returned and was touching her employees. Surveillance video does not show him touching employees.

Three police arrived shortly after the second 911 call was placed and one of the officers found the teenager shopping in a different store. He approached the teenager and reached to grab his arm, saying “Come here man.”

The teen stepped back, put up his hands and said, “Don’t touch me.”

The officer later testified that raising one’s hands up “is an assaultive posture demonstrating resistance.”

https://minnesotareformer.com/briefs/mi ... ent-finds/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Parkville is a beautiful, little historic town on the Missouri River just north of KC. I'd always been in love with it. Ex Hubs taught music at the local, but highly respected, college, For years, it was my dream to own one of the little tudors nestled in the hills overlooking the restored downtown full of antique dealers and craft beer pubs.

https://themindshield.com/students-at-a ... k-slavery/
Students at a high school in Missouri circulate a petition calling for the return of slavery.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

From the Department of Redundancy Department…
Counties with more Confederate monuments also had more lynchings, study finds
Fascinating.

Which is not to say the article was useless, it had interesting bits, so as…
As recently as 2015, 57 percent of Americans saw the Confederate flag as representing “Southern pride” more than racism, according to a CNN poll. Seventy-five percent of White Southerners felt it represented pride, versus only 11 percent of Black Southerners. Those numbers had hardly moved from a similar poll taken 15 years earlier in 2000.
Anyway. https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... -virginia/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I'm surprised no one has claimed they are ethnically Confederate wanting equal protection under the law.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 am https://themindshield.com/students-at-a ... k-slavery/
Students at a high school in Missouri circulate a petition calling for the return of slavery.
I suggest that they volunteer to be the first ones.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Great idea, MN!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

IIRC, there was some discussion ~early 19th-C. of allowing enslavement of the browner Europeans… Italians, Greeks and so forth.

Nice.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Via one of those idiotic laws the reichwing in Texas passed, a school curriculum "leader" says classrooms that have factual books about the Holocaust then it has to have "opposing viewpoint" books, too.

The massive fuckwittery is obscene.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/so ... s-rcna2965
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

Apparently the Trumpists think they're the victims of racism. Interesting article from Pew Research in 2020:

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... nder_0-02/
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Hi Doc.. and thanks.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

It says the tweet has been deleted. Could someone sum up?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Current Politics”