Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I have rented cars from Hertz dozens of times in Australia without once having to show my USA passport.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

keith wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:49 am I have rented cars from Hertz dozens of times in Australia without once having to show my USA passport.
but are you of Spanish descent?
with a name like Humberto?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:46 am
keith wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:49 am I have rented cars from Hertz dozens of times in Australia without once having to show my USA passport.
but are you of Spanish descent?
with a name like Humberto?
Nope. You got it.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Queencreek is a hotbed of racism. We looked at a house there, but saw all the tfg paraphernalia and immediately noped out.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I wish I could find it again... I remember reading an website a few years ago with a lot of the errors companies make when talking to customers and failing to recognize that locations - such as New Mexico - are part of the United States.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Old news but I missed it.
Bird-watcher wrongfully accused in Central Park video gets a bird-watching TV show
Christian Cooper, the bird-watching Black man who was the target of false accusations during an encounter in New York City's Central Park in 2020, has a new TV show airing on National Geographic.

The channel announced this week that Cooper, a lifelong bird-watcher, will host a series called Extraordinary Birder. In the series, Cooper will take viewers into the "wild, wonderful and unpredictable world of birds," according to National Geographic.

"Whether braving stormy seas in Alaska for puffins, trekking into rainforests in Puerto Rico for parrots, or scaling a bridge in Manhattan for a peregrine falcon, he does whatever it takes to learn about these extraordinary feathered creatures and show us the remarkable world in the sky above," the network said in a statement.

The 59-year-old was thrust into the spotlight in May 2020 after Amy Cooper (no relation), a white woman with a dog, called the police saying he threatened her and her dog.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

:clap: :clap:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

:thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/b ... t-30143123
Police swarm apartment block over man armed with flamethrower and Nazi flag

The man was also reportedly wearing body armour, is carrying a crossbow and lit an arrow on fire as police surrounded him.
Edit: Name hasn't been released but apparently found dead after a long standoff.
raison de arizona

Red Joker 🇺🇸 @R3dJ0k3r wrote: When an actual Scholar meets a Twitter monkey.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Let the world know’: elderly survivors of the Tulsa race massacre push for justice
Viola Ford Fletcher and her family fled a murderous white mob 102 years ago – today she’s still demanding accountability

by David Smith in Washington
Sun 25 Jun 2023 11.00 BST

Viola Ford Fletcher smiles as her mind burrows back in time more than a hundred years. “We were happy then,” she says wistfully. “Before this happened, we had children in the neighbourhood to play with. We had schools, churches, hospitals, theatres and anything that people enjoyed. It was a strong community.”

“This” refers to the 1921 Tulsa race massacre, when a white mob descended on the neighbourhood of Greenwood, home to a business district known as Black Wall Street, killing an estimated 300 people and looting and burning businesses and homes. Thousands were left homeless and living in a hastily constructed internment camp.

For most Americans it is the stuff of history books and museum exhibits, as foreign and faraway as Charles Lindbergh or the Wall Street crash. For Fletcher, it is a childhood scar that never went away.

Now 109 and still dressing to the nines with earrings and bracelets, she is the oldest living survivor of the massacre. In 2021, the year of its centenary, “Mother Fletcher” and her brother, Hughes “Uncle Red” Van Ellis, testified to the US Congress to push for reparations and travelled to Ghana, where they were treated like royalty.

Now Fletcher is thought to have become the world’s oldest author with Don’t Let Them Bury My Story, a memoir that recounts the impact of the massacre on her life and advocates for racial justice. “I’ve enjoyed life so far, so I think if I can do it at this time, I should,” she says.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... eparations
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump-Obsessed Trucker Arrested for String of Wildly Racist Attacks
In just one of several incidents, the man allegedly tried to run a Black couple off the road in a pick-up decked out in Confederate flags and Trump stickers.

Brooke Leigh Howard Reporter
Updated Jun. 25, 2023 3:54AM EDT / Published Jun. 23, 2023 3:55PM EDT

The feds have finally nabbed a Trump-obsessed Confederate sycophant accused of sparking racial terror for well over a year in his North Carolina town.

Marian Hudak, a white man, was arrested by the FBI in Concord Thursday and charged with interfering with federally protected activities and the right to fair housing, according to the criminal complaint filed by the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina.

The agent who led the investigation on Hudak said there was “probable cause” that Hudak committed racial intimidation.

One incident outlined in the criminal complaint occurred in November 2021 when Hudak allegedly egged his Mexican American neighbor’s car and told the family to “go back to” their country and called them “fucking Mexican alcoholics.”

According to the complaint, an argument ensued between Hudak and his neighbor, leading to a physical altercation and Hudak assaulting the neighbor in the stomach, face, and back of the head. The fight also caused damage to the neighbor’s car.

“I’m going to kill you,” Hudak told the neighbor, according to the complaint.

Prosecutors also said the neighbor told police about multiple attempts Hudak made to drive him off the road and verbal attacks against his sisters, who were just 9 and 13 years old.

Hudak’s terrifying tirades continued into July 2022 when he blared racist rhetoric from his truck’s loudspeaker in a Sam’s Club parking lot, the feds say.

In August 2022, Hudak allegedly called his neighbor’s mother “a fucking fat ass Mexican bitch” while she took out garbage.

“I promise you this is never going to end,” Hudak allegedly told the woman.

In October 2022, Hudak allegedly tried to run a Black driver and his girlfriend off the road in his pickup truck crudely decked out in Confederate flag paraphernalia and Trump stickers, according to the complaint. He allegedly stared down the Black driver and shouted a myriad of derogatory, anti-Black statements, including calling the Black driver the N-word. Hudak allegedly chased the driver and his girlfriend on the road, eventually getting out of his truck during traffic to beat on the Black driver’s window. Then, Hudak followed the man to his apartment complex, pointed a gun at people who were nearby, and allegedly threatened “I will kill you, n-----” to the man he followed, the complaint says.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-obs ... st-attacks
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:58 am
Trump-Obsessed Trucker Arrested for String of Wildly Racist Attacks
In just one of several incidents, the man allegedly tried to run a Black couple off the road in a pick-up decked out in Confederate flags and Trump stickers.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-obs ... st-attacks
... and the local police / justice system could do nothing about this ... it had to be turned over to Federal authorities to arrest and prosecute ... how odd. Sounds like two crimes occurred here to me.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Outrage as Republican says 1921 Tulsa massacre not motivated by race
Oklahoma superintendent Ryan Walters decried for comments on 1921 massacre in which hundreds were killed by white mobs

Adam Gabbatt
Sat 8 Jul 2023 11.00 BST

The state official in charge of Oklahoma’s schools is facing calls for impeachment, after he said teachers should tell students that the Tulsa race massacre was not racially motivated.

In a public forum on Thursday, Ryan Walters, Oklahoma’s state superintendent of public instruction, said teachers could cover the 1921 massacre, in which white Tulsans murdered an estimated 300 Black people, but teachers should not “say that the skin color determined it”.

Walters is a pro-Trump Republican who was elected to oversee Oklahoma education in November. He has consistently indulged in rightwing talking points including “woke ideology” and has said critical race theory should not be taught in classrooms. Republicans have frequently conflated banning critical race theory with banning any discussion of racial history in classrooms.

At the forum in Norman, Oklahoma, Walters was asked how the massacre could “not fall” under his broad definition of CRT.

“I would never tell a kid that because of your race, because of your color of your skin, or your gender or anything like that, you are less of a person or are inherently racist.

“That doesn’t mean you don’t judge the actions of individuals. Oh, you can, absolutely. Historically, you should: ‘This was right. This was wrong. They did this for this reason.’

“But to say it was inherent in that … because of their skin is where I say that is critical race theory. You’re saying that race defines a person. I reject that.

“So I would say you be judgmental of the issue, of the action, of the content, of the character of the individual, absolutely. But let’s not tie it to the skin color and say that the skin color determined it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... e-massacre
raison de arizona

Orwellian.
raison de arizona

:torches: The dog whistles have been retired, folks.
PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 @patriottakes wrote: Charlie Kirk said Joy Reid, Ketanji Brown Jackson, Shiela Jackson Lee, and Michelle Obama used affirmative action because they “do not have the brain processing power to otherwise be taken really seriously” so they had to “steal a white person’s slot.”
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Any one of those women has more IQ points in their clipped toe nails than Kirk has in his whole head.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:55 am Any one of those women has more IQ points in their clipped toe nails than Kirk has in his whole head.
:stamp: And more humanity.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Why is Chucky only calling out WOMEN of color?
raison de arizona

neonzx wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:35 pm Why is Chucky only calling out WOMEN of color?
Rhetorical? Because Clarence Thomas, of course, who flew to where he landed (in part) due to affirmative action and has been trying to pull the ladder up behind himself ever since.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Is Jason Aldean’s song racist? I voted yes even before this thread analyzing it.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1681 ... 16384.html
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:45 pm Is Jason Aldean’s song racist? I voted yes even before this thread analyzing it.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1681 ... 16384.html
"It's about heritage small town sense of community, not hate." Or something. :roll: :think:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

IMG_5404.png
IMG_5404.png (450.08 KiB) Viewed 743 times
raison de arizona

Sundown Town, a Jason Aldean "cover."

Return to “Current Politics”