Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by Slim Cognito »

From the comments: I'm not a racist but I play one on Twitter. (Lots more of her tweets in the thread. They are horrifying!)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:52 pm From the comments: I'm not a racist but I play one on Twitter. (Lots more of her tweets in the thread. They are horrifying!)
They reminded me of Civil War cartoons from the 1860s. They are that bad.

And cancel culture is so mean. Totally not our fault for throwing a racist party!

Also, in this day of ubiquitous phone cameras and ubiquitous narcissism, to claim you didn't photograph your party setup is LOLIJUSTWETMYSELF.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

poplove wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:29 pm
► Show Spoiler
That is quite the mugshot for a professional woman. She looks like a prison pro.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

If you don’t consider all the clearly racist stuff they’ve admittedly done, they’re not racist at all!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

In the Nicosia story, insert the word very before every instance of the word racist to get a true sense of where they land on the hate spectrum.

For instance, they are not very racist. They don't say very racist things. etc etc

Frankly, I'm surprised her name isn't Karen.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Too, also, add after "racist", " I never thought I would be outed".
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

What's interesting is how they are surprised — SHOCKED — to find out they appear to be racist to others and the community to which they've been oh-so-benevolent can't/won't overtly support that by standing behind them.

I recommend they quietly retire to the Adirondacks with any money the lawyers and lawsuit leave them.

How can anyone do what they did and not expect a FAFO moment? There's been a million of these stories. On the lengthy list of things I can't get my head around.
Tiredretiredlawyer

pipistrelle: I recommend they quietly retire to the Adirondacks with any money and the bottle of cognac he got at the party the lawyers and lawsuit leave them.
FIFY.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:30 am Too, also, add after "racist", " I never thought I would be outed".
Change approved with the amendment place the phrase in parenthesis, and bold the second instance of I for emphasis.

For example: They are not very racist (I never thought *I* would be outed).
Tiredretiredlawyer

Changes approved!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

We have a motion and a second. All in favor say aye.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

bill_g wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:47 am We have a motion and a second. All in favor say aye.
Squirrel!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

:rotflmao:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

BYU has often been in the news in recent years for racist bullshit. Nice to see that they are continuing to *not* address it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/9 ... past-cases
San Francisco DA Jenkins vows to hold hate crimes perpetrators more accountable, review past cases

Despite the number of hate crimes occurring against the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) community, few convictions are made. With her city reporting one of the highest rates of violence against the AAPI community, San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins has vowed to hold perpetrators accountable.

In addition to promising justice, Jenkins said her office would review a number of high-profile anti-Asian attacks for any evidence to support hate crime charges. The cases in question were originally reviewed by the city's former District Attorney Chesa Boudin.

Several AAPI community members have praised the initiative and Boudin's replacement. While in office, Boudin was consistently criticized by several AAPI advocates for what they called his lack of attention to AAPI issues and his inability to hold perpetrators accountable.

According to a poll conducted by the San Francisco Standard in May, two-thirds of Asian voters backed Boudin’s recall in June, the highest level of all racial groups.
raison de arizona

When 'wokeness' comes to Middle-earth: Why some say diverse casting ruins the new 'Lord of the Rings' series
:snippity:
Morse is deputy managing editor of RedState, a conservative news site. He says "The Rings of Power" producers have cast non-White actors in a story based on European culture and who look wildly different from how Tolkien originally described them. He says it's an attempt to embed "social justice politics" into Tolkien's world.
Steve Toussaint, a Black actor who plays a wealthy naval commander in the current "Game of Thrones" prequel, "House of the Dragon," spoke to this debate recently when he revealed he's been criticized by White fans for being cast in the HBO series.

"They are happy with a dragon flying," Toussaint said. "They're happy with white hair and violet-colored eyes. But a rich Black guy? That's beyond the pale."
Louis Markos, author of "From A to Z to Middle Earth with J.R.R. Tolkien," says casting Black and brown actors in "The Rings of Power" threatens story believability. He said Tolkien described elves, for example, as "fair-faced."

Casting a non-White actor to play an elf makes it more difficult for audiences to maintain their willing suspension of belief, he says.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/03/entertai ... index.html
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tolkien describes the Harfoots, one of the 3 races of hobbits, as having browner skin than Fallohides or Stoors.

Tolkien describes some of the peoples of Middle Earth as being swarthy.

There are lands well south of Gondor such as Umber where the people might be expected to have darker skin.

Tolkien didn't provide enough information in LOTR for readers to understand the races of the various humanoids in Middle Earth.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:17 pm San Francisco DA Jenkins...
There's a lot more to the Jenkins story. For example:

Tangled Web: How All 3 Nonprofits That Paid DA Brooke Jenkins Have Links to the Chesa Boudin Recall
Michael Barba, Matt Smith
Aug. 29, 2022
https://sfstandard.com/criminal-justice ... in-recall/

Inside the tumultuous early days of SF District Attorney Brooke Jenkins' tenure
Eric Ting
Sep. 1, 2022
https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article ... 410091.php
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thanks, buster!
raison de arizona

Oakbrook Middle School teacher accused of using racial slur to describe fellow educator
by Alissa Holmes - Monday, September 5th 2022

DORCHESTER COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) — Dorchester District Two officials are investigating an incident at Oakbrook Middle School, where a student claims a teacher called the black teacher in the neighboring class, "The monkey next door."

In a post widely shared on social media, Shanda Wiggins says her 8th-grade son came home from school upset and told her about the monkey next door comment.

Wiggins said her son then told her the same teacher had also asked the class to participate in a cotton picking activity where she brought in raw cotton for the class.

Wiggins said she and her son were surprised and hurt by these actions and she immediately met with the schools administration and the accused teacher.

In a recording of the meeting with the teacher, the teacher can be heard admitting she made the comment but says she "didn't mean it that way."
https://wpde.com/news/local/oakbrook-mi ... cator-wciv
raison de arizona

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:00 pm BYU has often been in the news in recent years for racist bullshit. Nice to see that they are continuing to *not* address it.
I guess they are saying the Duke team was lying? Dunno.

https://byucougars.com/story/athletics/ ... ball-match
raison de arizona

He gives away the game at the end, he was never going to watch it anyway.
Jason Campbell @JasonSCampbell wrote: Daily Wire host says it is unscientific to cast a Black person as a mermaid: “From a scientific perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have someone with darker skin who lives deep in the ocean”
https://mediamatters.org/daily-wire/dai ... on-mermaid
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Slightly off, slightly on topic: I was curious what debates might have happened when Star Trek was first rebooted. A Black Klingon, fine, more roles for Black actors. But now are all Klingons to be Black? Oh dear, we can't have white good guys and black bad guys, not good stereotyping! But if we can afford of other ethnicities, how should they be made up? Or are the Klingons multiracial? Perhaps theirs is a tolerant society celebrating diversity, while also being violently quasi-fascist?

I don't read comic books but I liked the story (true? apocryphal?) of the artist whose editor complained that the stories with a Black superhero submitted by the artist contained too few white characters. So the artist's next story included many more white characters, all wearing Ku Klux Klan robes!
busterbunker

What is woke?

Post by busterbunker »

Last night my mom asked me "what is woke?" I asked her, "is this a joke?"

Nope. It was a serious question.

So I had to get the mind gears cranking, because my mom is about as woke as they come. Far woker than me. How can I explain it?

Well, first of all, it depends on your side of the fence. I think it started as a compliment before it transformed into a pejorative.

My best guess is the top two issues concern LGBTQIA and racism, but not always in that order. Sexism and other issues may follow.

On both sides of the fence, perhaps it's more about insomnia?

Return to “Current Politics”