Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Oh, lordy. So, I had read the shorter version of what he said. But then apparently he went on to say this as well:
Klatt_Spew.jpg
Klatt_Spew.jpg (242.51 KiB) Viewed 1207 times

:brickwallsmall:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:23 am And a shining display of Americas unlimited 1st Amendment rights to accost anyone for anything how unrelated that is.
:yeahthat:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

If he thought there wasn't going to be blowback after that, he's more detached from reality than I thought.

Why do so many think the world must have their opinions? How hard is it to keep ignorance to oneself?
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

Foggy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:37 am
“Most of my income will be gone by next week,” he said. “My reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed. You can’t come back from this, am I right? There’s no way you can come back from this.”
And you knew that when you opened your nasty mouth. You knew what would happen.

:violin: :crying:
I don't know that he knew what would happen -- I think many people with opinions like this vastly overestimate how many other people share them -- but there is no way he can escape responsibility for what was simply the direct result of his own words. On the other hand, as we've discussed on the January 6th trials thread, there is a way to come back from something like this, but it starts with acknowledging that you made a mistake and hurt other people, showing true remorse, and demonstrating that you have changed whatever character flaws led you to the antisocial behavior. Mr. Adams doesn't seem like he's opting for this path at present.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

“Most of my income will be gone by next week,” he said. “My reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed. You can’t come back from this, am I right? There’s no way you can come back from this.”

I might be cynical, but I suspect it was deliberate. His popularity has been waning for a while now, going all in on the right wing 'I was canceled so pay attention to me!' might be his plan.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

On the local ABC station several years ago, there was a long-time reporter who was fired for racist comments off (and maybe on) air. I was wandering through the channel guide and saw the Wendy Bell show on Newsmax. Not surprised. She was rattling on about East Palestine.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

neeneko wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:18 pm

I might be cynical, but I suspect it was deliberate. His popularity has been waning for a while now, going all in on the right wing 'I was canceled so pay attention to me!' might be his plan.
I do not see that as cynical anymore. The right has created an industry in victims of the evil leftist cancel culture hatred.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I liked this cartoon -

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:06 pm Oh, lordy. So, I had read the shorter version of what he said. But then apparently he went on to say this as well:

Klatt_Spew.jpg

What is he talking about? What fixing was happening that we need to abandon now because it failed?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:25 am
RVInit wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:06 pm Oh, lordy. So, I had read the shorter version of what he said. But then apparently he went on to say this as well:

Klatt_Spew.jpg

What is he talking about? What fixing was happening that we need to abandon now because it failed?
:shrug: I am mystified by this drama. And I also thought the creator of Dilbert was older. However, he is 65 so he's good to retire and be put out to pasture with his white retirement benefits. :smoking:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:25 am

Klatt_Spew.jpg

I would just about bet it's old "Black people need the help of white people, because they just can't help themselves. And since they are not sufficiently groveling at our feet because of all the "help" we are giving them, let's just quit helping them"

It's the "they need our help" thingy.

That is a more subtle racist attitude perhaps, but it belies that this guy is racist through and through.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Jim Wright of Stonekettle Station fame points out that Adams has been like this for years and no-one batted an eye. He suspects the real reason here is that his strip isn't profitable in getting people to buy newspapers anymore, or at least not profitable enough. So its cheaper to drop him and pocket the Syndication fees, and this is just a good excuse.

I suspect he is right.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7950173 ... %2CO%2CP-R
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Edited to add - "Still no disagreement about my point of view." WTH? It's the public's vehement disagreement with your point of view which has led to all of these subsequent cancellations! The man is clueless.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

By choice.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Why doesn't he write a racist book for the billions of racist Americans he thinks adore him?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Okay, yeah, I will allow it.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

A deep conviction that all white people are racist under the surface is symptom number one of white racists. Again and again you hear such folks say "If people told the truth...," etc. It literally never occurs to them that people talking about diversity actually mean it. The bubble accentuates that.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Actor Brian Cranston posits MAGA is possibly a racist phrase.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Possibly???
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Of course it's racist. :bored:

It means, take us back to the 1950s, when white people men ruled the planet, and everyone else better look out.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-09/ ... /102072106

An Adelaide suburban councillor has been asked to apologise for posting an image of a swastika on social media, amid an acrimonious debate about security cameras that has now resulted in the council's mayor penning a letter to Elon Musk.

Key points:
An image of a person contorted into the shape of a swastika was shared on social media by a Salisbury councillor
The mayor has asked the councillor to apologise
She has also written to Elon Musk about separate claims she said were made during a council meeting

Salisbury councillor Severina Burner posted a photo, on her Facebook page, showing a young person contorting their body into the shape of the Nazi symbol.

The image is accompanied by the words, "Me when I'm asked to kneel and apologize for being right", with the word "right" superimposed on the word "white".
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Gulfport man sentenced 42 months for burning cross to intimidate Black family

GULFPORT, Miss. (WLOX) - Axel Cox, 24, has been sentenced to 42 months in prison followed by three years supervised release and ordered to pay $7,810 in restitution for burning a cross in his front yard in an attempt to intimidate a Black family.

The incident took place on Dec. 3, 2020. According to court documents, Cox violated the Fair Housing Act when he used threatening and racially derogatory language toward his Black neighbors and burned a cross to intimidate them.

After a dispute with the family, Cox wedged two pieces of wood together to form a cross, placed it in clear view of the family’s residence, doused it in oil and set flames to it, all while yelling threats and racial slurs towards the victims’ house.

Cox admitted that he lit the cross on fire because the victims were Black and that he intended to scare them into moving out of the neighborhood.
:snippity:
https://www.wlox.com/2023/03/09/gulfpor ... ck-family/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Dude goes with family to amusement parks and decides to let everybody know he is a nasty racist neo-nazi.
Screenshot 2023-03-15 194348.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-15 194348.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 646 times
For those who might be unaware, 88 is a hate symbol.

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/88
101010 :towel:

Return to “Current Politics”