Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
chancery
Verified:

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by chancery »

Charles Murray
@charlesmurray
Given the race disparity in IQ within occupations and equal educational attainment, this employer behavior is economically rational. [Referring to a large carefully-designed study demonstrating strong discrimination against “black names” in responses to resumes with otherwise identical qualifications.]
Off Topic
Before he wrote the odious Bell Curve and became an entrepreneur of racist conservative policy, Murray and his wife, Catherine Bly Cox, wrote one of the finest books on space exploration ever written, and my favorite among the scores of books I’ve read about the Apollo program: Murray & Cox, Apollo, The Race to the Moon (1989). The book substantially ignores the astronauts to focus on the engineers who planned the missions, designed and built the spacecraft and supporting structures, and controlled the missions from the ground.

See this admiring review by astronaut Michael Collins:
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/16/book ... bound.html

Collins's own book, Carrying The Fire, is also extremely good.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Fuck Temecula. I considered moving there a year or so ago, and then read about stuff like this and decided against it. It's known for being a little racist haven. Or at least those are the warnings I found, which are proving true. Glad I stayed away.

I'm feeling really fed up lately. With everything.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:48 pm
Fuck Temecula. I considered moving there a year or so ago, and then read about stuff like this and decided against it. It's known for being a little racist haven. Or at least those are the warnings I found, which are proving true. Glad I stayed away.

I'm feeling really fed up lately. With everything.
Come sit by me in the corner and we can heckle the idiots together.

Repeat after me; Fuck these people. Fuck all these people.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

For every step back there will hopefully be two (or more) forward..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/ ... /100398448

The Wiggles announce new 'gender balanced and diverse' cast members for YouTube series
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

This caught my eye. It's a good thing when somebody get it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/04/opinions ... index.html

ADL head: On NY Islamic center, we were wrong, plain and simple
Today one can see how the Cordoba House could have helped to heal our country as we nursed the wounds from the horror of 9/11. As we near the 20th anniversary of that tragic day, the need for healing remains. Arguably, it has attained an increased urgency after the tumult of recent years and especially now as we prepare to welcome refugees from Afghanistan, including many who supported our troops and our ideals, and now flee the onslaught of the Taliban. Sadly, rather than heal, we have seen Islamophobia persist in ugly ways.

As the leading anti-hate organization in the US, with experts tracking extremism of all sorts, ADL is committed to help our Muslim allies counter Islamophobia. Indeed, we have been doing so for many decades. And this is exactly why, as a dear Muslim friend told me recently, ADL's stance on the Cordoba House project was "a punch in the gut to the Muslim community." I hope that by righting this wrong, we can be better allies in the fight against the rise in anti-Muslim hate that is coming -- and it is coming.

I say this, because as most Americans were praying for the Afghan people, generously donating funds and preparing to welcome some number of Afghan civilians into our great nation, some so-called "experts" began spreading alarmist and Islamophobic disinformation in shameless attempts to block these brutalized civilians from coming to the United States. Adding to the alarm, these insidious conspiracy theories are coming during a time that the FBI is reporting the highest level of hate crimes in over a decade.

And that is likely just the opening chorus of anti-Muslim sentiment that I fear will swell in the weeks, months and years ahead.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Uninformed wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:00 pm
This is a bullshit tweet and they know it. I'm not seeing where they corrected it either.
The marker was knocked down accidentally by a construction vehicle in the evening. The company immediately notified the county and county road workers came and picked up the sign and took it back to the county barn for safekeeping. First thing the next morning they notified the center.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Thanks for the correction. It appears several “news” sites have/had roughly the same info.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Uninformed wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:46 pm Thanks for the correction. It appears several “news” sites have/had roughly the same info.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/emm ... d-79816131
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

The Confederacy of slave owners loses again...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-09/ ... /100445558

A crowd erupted in cheers as work crews hoisted a statue of US Confederate general Robert E Lee off the giant pedestal where it has towered over Virginia's capital city for more than a century.

Key points:
The statue of Robert E Lee was lifted off its pedestal and cut into pieces
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam congratulated the removal of the statue and said it will be "healing" for the state
Mr Northam ordered the statue to be taken down after the death of George Floyd
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani

Post by Lani »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:12 pm The Confederacy of slave owners loses again...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-09/ ... /100445558

A crowd erupted in cheers as work crews hoisted a statue of US Confederate general Robert E Lee off the giant pedestal where it has towered over Virginia's capital city for more than a century.

Key points:
The statue of Robert E Lee was lifted off its pedestal and cut into pieces
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam congratulated the removal of the statue and said it will be "healing" for the state
Mr Northam ordered the statue to be taken down after the death of George Floyd
As a Virginian - although I call myself as a Northern Virginian - I'm so happy about this!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Thanks Obama!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I'm confused by this. I am full of WTFs. So I ran to Wonkette to help out.

https://www.wonkette.com/one-of-ben-sha ... -killed-it

They are also full of WTFs, but at least I got to read some snark, so I'm better.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Evan did us proud on Wonkette! Ben Shapiro and his ilk have way too much air time to fill.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

The Proud Bois in Salem yesterday providing security to the local poorly attended J6 protest.

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Dr James Whitfield, Colleyville Principal, on paid leave “accused of teaching CRT”.

“Uppity in the first degree”. :rotflmao: :mad:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:27 am Dr James Whitfield, Colleyville Principal, on paid leave “accused of teaching CRT”.

“Uppity in the first degree”. :rotflmao: :mad:
And they voted 7-0 to NOT renew his contract!

Sounds about white.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Their mission statement has 14 words.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/9 ... sian-women
Lawmakers call on DOJ to implement hate crimes law after three men robbed 70 Asian women

Despite the decreased media attention, hate crimes against Asian Americans are still on the rise. Since the start of the novel coronavirus pandemic last year, hate crimes against the American Pacific Islander (AAPI) community have risen at alarming rates. The increase is mainly owing to racists and xenophobes blaming Asian Americans for the current pandemic.

As a result, legislation addressing hate crimes against the APPI community was passed in May for the first time in America’s history. However, the law has yet to be implemented. As crimes continue against the AAPI community, Democratic lawmakers are urging the Justice Department to quickly implement the law to expedite the review of anti-Asian hate crimes during the COVID-19 pandemic, NBC News reported.

In a letter sent to Attorney General Merrick Garland, Hawaii Sen. Mazie Hirono and New York Rep. Grace Meng highlighted key provisions of the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act that are "critical to its effectiveness" and noted the agency should pay attention to them. "Full implementation of the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act will help stem the tide against further violence," they said in the letter on Monday. The letter also highlights the increased violence against vulnerable community members, including women and the elderly.

The letter follows new data compiled by the FBI which indicates that hate crimes targeting people of Asian descent in the U.S. rose by 70% last year compared to the number of such incidents in 2019. The FBI report also found that more than 10,000 people reported hate crimes to law enforcement—the highest tally of reported hate crimes since 2008.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Try this.

Google up "profesional men's hairstyles"

Then google up "unprofessional men's hairstyles"

What is the major difference between the two groups?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Whoa. That wasn't subtle at all.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

It's going around the social media now. I expect it to change soon. I should screen shot it, but it's too damned depressing.

Return to “Current Politics”