Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by raison de arizona »

holy cow that race-norming stuff is a bunch of crap
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:smokeears: There needs to be accountability, re-evaluation, and also restitution to make it right.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Banking while black
Black Panther Director Falsely Arrested For Bank Robbery

10 Mar 2022

Filmmaker and director Ryan Coogler, the director of the Marvel Universe's Black Panther movies, was falsely accused and detained at a bank under suspicion that he was robbing it. Rick Strom breaks it down. Give us your thoughts in the comments below!

DISCLAIMER:
TYTSports do not act as an attorney nor provide legal advice. All info provided is general information and for educational purposes only. Our content is in no way designed to provide legal advice or create attorney-client relationships. If you happen to be arrested or detained, please contact a lawyer.

Rick Strom
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

One more reason for me to cancel my BoA accounts.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Jussie Smollett Sentenced to Jail for False Report of a Hate Crime
The actor was sentenced to five months in jail after being convicted last year of filing a false police report that said he had been the victim of a racist and homophobic attack.

By Julia Jacobs and Robert Chiarito
March 10, 2022

A judge in Chicago sentenced Jussie Smollett to five months in jail on Thursday, ordering that the actor be incarcerated for falsely reporting to the police that he had been the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in 2019.

At the end of a hearing that lasted about five hours, Judge James B. Linn excoriated Mr. Smollett from the bench, saying that he had concluded that the actor had premeditated the hoax and that despite his and his family’s admirable past work in social justice, he had an arrogant, selfish side and had planned the stunt because he “craved the attention.”

In the searing speech, the judge said that Mr. Smollett’s name had become synonymous with lying, that he had sought to throw a “national pity party” for himself and that Mr. Smollett’s conduct had undermined other victims of hate crimes at a sensitive time, as America was trying to climb out of its painful history of racism.

“You took some scabs off some healing wounds and you ripped them apart,” the judge said. “And for one reason: You wanted to make yourself more famous.”

Given the chance to address the court before the sentencing, Mr. Smollett declined. But after Judge Linn read his sentence, the actor defiantly stood up and declared, “I did not do this, and I am not suicidal,” adding that “if anything happens to me when I go in there, I did not do it to myself.” As he was taken into custody to begin his jail sentence, Mr. Smollett raised his right fist. His lawyers immediately said they planned to appeal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/10/arts ... ncing.html
raison de arizona

FAFO?
Florida Dunkin' worker sentenced for fatal punch of customer

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida Dunkin' employee pleaded guilty to felony battery for fatally punching a customer who repeatedly called him a racial slur.

A Tampa judge sentenced 27-year-old Corey Pujols on Monday to two years house arrest, an anger management course, and 200 hours of community service.

The Lost and Found ResaleInteriors consign and sell high quality furniture and accessories

The Lost and Found Resale Interiors consign and sell high quality furniture and accessories
Prosecutors said Vonelle Cook was irate when he entered the Dunkin' store last May and began yelling about customer service.

Pujols, who is Black, asked coworkers to call the police and told the 77-year-old registered sex offender to leave.

Cook repeatedly called him a racial slur, and Pujols punched him.

Cook fell and hit his head.

According to WFTS, Cook was rushed to a nearby hospital and died a few days after the incident.

The Associated Press reported that an autopsy revealed that Cook suffered a skull fracture and brain contusions.

Pujols was initially charged with manslaughter, but the AP reported that prosecutors considered Pujols' age and lack of criminal history before offering him a plea deal.

The news outlet reported that Cook's family did not speak at Monday's hearing.
https://www.abc15.com/news/national/flo ... f-customer
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:45 am
Jussie Smollett Sentenced to Jail for False Report of a Hate Crime
The actor was sentenced to five months in jail after being convicted last year of filing a false police report that said he had been the victim of a racist and homophobic attack.

By Julia Jacobs and Robert Chiarito
March 10, 2022

A judge in Chicago sentenced Jussie Smollett to five months in jail on Thursday, ordering that the actor be incarcerated for falsely reporting to the police that he had been the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in 2019.

At the end of a hearing that lasted about five hours, Judge James B. Linn excoriated Mr. Smollett from the bench, saying that he had concluded that the actor had premeditated the hoax and that despite his and his family’s admirable past work in social justice, he had an arrogant, selfish side and had planned the stunt because he “craved the attention.”

In the searing speech, the judge said that Mr. Smollett’s name had become synonymous with lying, that he had sought to throw a “national pity party” for himself and that Mr. Smollett’s conduct had undermined other victims of hate crimes at a sensitive time, as America was trying to climb out of its painful history of racism.

“You took some scabs off some healing wounds and you ripped them apart,” the judge said. “And for one reason: You wanted to make yourself more famous.”

Given the chance to address the court before the sentencing, Mr. Smollett declined. But after Judge Linn read his sentence, the actor defiantly stood up and declared, “I did not do this, and I am not suicidal,” adding that “if anything happens to me when I go in there, I did not do it to myself.” As he was taken into custody to begin his jail sentence, Mr. Smollett raised his right fist. His lawyers immediately said they planned to appeal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/10/arts ... ncing.html
The local news covered the sentencing by the judge.

Very long winded, but basically he premeditated the fake hate crime, then lied about it in his testimony.

And the judge had him pegged when he said Smollet is arrogant and narcissistic
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NY Woman Punched 125 Times, Foot-Stomped in Brutal Hate Crime Beating: Police

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-in ... t_DFWBrand
A 42-year-old Yonkers man has been arrested on attempted murder as a hate crime and other charges in the vicious caught-on-camera beating of a 67-year-old Asian woman who was attacked as she returned home last week, police said Monday.

Cops responding to a call around 6:15 p.m. Friday for reports of a dispute found the victim bloodied in the vestibule of her building. The suspect, identified as Tammel Esco, was still outside.

According to the investigation, the victim simply passed by Esco on her way home and he yelled a racial slur at her. She ignored him.

When she moved to open the second door to enter the lobby, the suspect punched her in the head from behind, knocking her to the floor, then proceeded to punch her in the head and face more than 125 times with alternating fist strikes before foot-stomping her seven times and spitting on her, police say.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

OMG, there are no words. :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

The hilarious Elie Mystal has coined the term “White Wing” and I think it’s brilliant and perfect and we should all use it.
raison de arizona

Much more at the link, it's bad.
‘This is akin to a hostile takeover’
State officials ask residents of a small, predominantly Black town near the site of new Ford investment to forfeit their city charter or face takeover.

MASON, Tenn. – The Tennessee Comptroller issued an unusual appeal last week to residents of this small, majority Black town, which occupies fewer than two square miles in rural west Tennessee.

“In my opinion, it’s time for Mason to relinquish its charter,” Comptroller Jason Mumpower wrote in a letter mailed to each one of Mason’s 1,337 property owners.

Mumpower urged local residents to “encourage your local officials to do what’s necessary to allow Mason to thrive. There is no time to waste.”

State comptrollers, responsible for financial oversight of local government, typically communicate directly with elected local leaders and not their constituents. “We have not issued a letter to citizens like this before,” Comptroller spokesman John Dunn said, noting it is “unprecedented for us to publicly call for a town charter to be relinquished.”

But the Comptroller’s unprecedented public callout comes at an unprecedented time not only for Mason, but for the state. Mason, located in the southeastern corner of Tipton County, now finds itself with some of the most coveted real estate in Tennessee.

It’s one of the nearest towns to the massive new site to be built for Blue Oval City, a key component in Ford Motor Co’s multibillion-dollar pivot to electric vehicle manufacturing.

Mumpower’s letter has infuriated Mason’s part-time elected officials, who insist they have no intention of ceding their town’s 153-year-old charter – which would subsume the largely African-American, majority Democratic community under the governance of Tipton County, which is predominantly white and Republican.
:snippity:
https://tennesseelookout.com/2022/03/14 ... -takeover/
raison de arizona

I just can't... Did it not occur to ANYONE that this was a bad idea? Good grief. Is this Cawthorn's district perchance?
North Carolina superintendent apologizes after mock slave auction
The mock slave auction was recorded on video and happened at J.S. Waters school in Goldston in the presence of staff and faculty, a racial equity group said.

A North Carolina schools superintendent has apologized for a mock “slave auction” in which white middle-schoolers pretended to sell their Black classmates.

“Actions such as these, they just do not reflect who we are as a school system,” [Yes they do, they represent EXACTLY who you are] Chatham County Schools Superintendent Anthony Jackson said after parents raised an outcry. “And I say, unapologetically, will not be tolerated in the school system.”

The school board adopted some policy changes and will also review the student code of conduct and discipline policies involving acts of racism, Jackson said. Some parents complained that several students involved were given just a one-day suspension.

A coalition of local groups called on the board Monday to address the situation at the J.S. Waters School in Goldston and require the instigators to apologize, news outlets reported.

The mock auction happened in the presence of staff and faculty and was recorded on video, according to a Chatham Organizing For Racial Equity press release. The K-8 school about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Raleigh has 195 students, and 68 percent are white.

“These students were emboldened to not only commit brazen and overt acts of racism but to retaliate further and continue their aggression after serving a perfunctory one-day suspension,” [And they learned nothing, because THAT is what you are] the coalition said.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/nor ... -rcna20280
I guess it's good that the students involved got a one-day suspension, but what about the staff and faculty the facilitated and recorded it? They are the adults in the room and they should be severely disciplined.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:33 pm I just can't... Did it not occur to ANYONE that this was a bad idea? Good grief. Is this Cawthorn's district perchance?
North Carolina superintendent apologizes after mock slave auction
:snippity:“Actions such as these, they just do not reflect who we are as a school system,” [Yes they do, they represent EXACTLY who you are] Chatham County Schools Superintendent Anthony Jackson said after parents raised an outcry.

:snippity: [And they learned nothing, because THAT is what you are] ...

For the record, this is the Superintendent. Do the actions reflect exactly who he is?

101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Hmm, imma guess no. Maybe. I’m referring to the staff and faculty that filmed and facilitated the event. I doubt the superintendent was on site for the event. But if he was, then I question his judgement as well.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:33 pm I just can't... Did it not occur to ANYONE that this was a bad idea? Good grief. Is this Cawthorn's district perchance?
Nope, it's reped by this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Budd
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/3 ... -his-fault
'Black Panther' director handcuffed trying to withdraw cash from bank, cop suggests it was his fault

As several media outlets have reported recently, Coogler entered the bank, filled out a withdrawal slip for $12,000, and penned on the back of it a request that the cash be counted and handed to him discreetly. He handed a Black teller the withdrawal slip along with his California license and Bank of America account card, according to an incident report from the responding law enforcement agency, the Atlanta Police Department.

“The bank teller then received an alert notification from Mr. Coogler account and quickly advised her manager that suspect # 3 is attempting to rob the bank,” police said in the incident report. “911 was alerted and responded.” Suspect No. 3 was Coogler.

When officers arrived, they initially encountered a black Lexus SUV parked outside the bank with a driver and passenger inside both advising the officers that they were waiting for Coogler to make a transaction inside the bank and that he is a movie producer, according to the incident report. "The description that was given of Mr. Coogler match the description of the male suspect that is attempting to rob the Bank Of America," police said in the report. One of the officers detained both the driver and passenger and put them in the back of a patrol vehicle without handcuffs.

When officers detained Coogler, they handcuffed him until their investigation revealed he was who he said he was. Police said Coogler "was immediately taken out of handcuffs" and those in the back of the patrol car were released. Coogler requested the name and badge number of the officers on the scene.

Atlanta Police body-camera video showed an officer on the scene asking Coogler if he’s ever considered talking to the bank before making a transaction like that. Coogler tried to explain that making large withdrawals privately is a matter of safety. “I’m not saying out loud how much money I’m taking out,” he said. The officer continued to press, asking Coogler if he considered asking to speak to a manager to make the withdrawal.

“I may consider it now that y’all f—king drew guns on me while I was trying to take money out,” Coogler said. He continued explaining that this has never happened at any other Bank of America he has frequented.

“Y’all explaining y’all perspective, right? Y’all the ones with guns and vests,” Coogler said. “You understand what I’m saying? What’s my perspective?” He said the teller never told him there was a problem. He provided his own account card and pin number. “She asked to see my ID. I gave it to her,” Coogler said.

He added that bank personnel assured him they were taking care of him. “Next thing, I hear f—king Glocks. I hear Glocks getting pulled out. That’s what I hear,” Coogler said.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Ryan Shead @RyanShead wrote: This would be a young Black girl having beads removed from her hair during a power lifting competition after a judge was going to disqualify her over them.

This angers me past words, honestly!

This is why we needed the #CrownAct in the first place.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

one of our BB Girls had to cut her beads out during half time at our last BB game. AFTER she had been playing with them for 3 other games
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Honestly, that looks like assault.
June bug

Post by June bug »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:07 pm Honestly, that looks like assault.
To be fair, it looks to me like they’re trying to help - maybe to get it done within some time limit.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

June bug wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:28 pm
To be fair, it looks to me like they’re trying to help - maybe to get it done within some time limit.
Yeah, I just saw the still, not the video. Still think it’s ridiculous. Unless someone can demonstrate it’s unsafe.
June bug

Post by June bug »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:30 pm
June bug wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:28 pm
Yeah, I just saw the still, not the video. Still think it’s ridiculous. Unless someone can demonstrate it’s unsafe.
Oh, I agree with you there completely. I just think the video is of teammates trying to help.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

What’s the big deal with beads :? ?
raison de arizona

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:52 am What’s the big deal with beads :? ?
It’s a traditional Black hairstyle, so it must be outlawed. They usually won’t straight up outlaw it, but will instead consider it ornamental like jewelry and insist they be removed. The Crown Act will protect against discrimination based on race-based hairstyles.

Return to “Current Politics”