Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
MN-Skeptic

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:24 pm But as traffic started to move I could see this guy had big white letters on his tailgate that said “Certified White Boy”.
So apparently he had been questioned about his whiteness and so had to tell folks that, yes, despite appearances, his is white?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:38 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:24 pm But as traffic started to move I could see this guy had big white letters on his tailgate that said “Certified White Boy”.
So apparently he had been questioned about his whiteness and so had to tell folks that, yes, despite appearances, his is white?
Maybe the driver is nonwhite but wants LEOs to think he is so they won't hassle him. Or maybe he means "certifiable white boy" but spelled it wrongly. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20210309_080818.jpg
Image Image Image Image
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Good grief. It's 2021 and he's been working for 20 months now to get rid of the N-word.

40-something years ago I went on a campaign (not planned) to root out that word from my elders. Including eliminating them from using it for "Black toes" (Brazil nuts).

So damn happy his image is off the company. (still ain't getting pizza from there)
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

To be clear, he says he's been working on eliminating the N-word from his vocabulary for the last twenty months, not that he's actually succeeded yet. And he still doesn't understand how "they" painted him a racist.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

And to be clearer, he's only actually working on his vocabulary, not his underlying racism.
Image Image Image Image
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

You can't teach it. You can't purge it.
When I was a yougin', I never had it. It never took hold. I knew Black people, young and old.
And that is why I got rebellious over it as an adolescent.
much ado

Post by much ado »

neonzx wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:44 pm Good grief. It's 2021 and he's been working for 20 months now to get rid of the N-word.

40-something years ago I went on a campaign (not planned) to root out that word from my elders. Including eliminating them from using it for "Black toes" (Brazil nuts).

So damn happy his image is off the company. (still ain't getting pizza from there)
I had forgotten that. Our family (southeast Ohio) stopped calling them "Black toes" in the sixties when we found out they were actually Brazil nuts. That was about the same time we discovered that "mangoes" were actually bell peppers, probably because tropical mangoes started showing up in stores.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:12 pm You can't teach it. You can't purge it.
When I was a yougin', I never had it. It never took hold. I knew Black people, young and old.
And that is why I got rebellious over it as an adolescent.
You can control it, and near purge it. There are people who fell into hate groups and, in time, as they saw the error of their ways and how it was consuming them, they were able get out. It is a long process, requires finding people to help, and above all, changing your heart.

He's not going to be able to stop the words until he changes his heart. He must begin to see others, and especially others who are different, as people. It's possible for people. For him, he does not understand. He is only working on a symptom, not the disease.

He is still playing the victim card. As long as that continues, he will not change.
101010 :towel:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

much ado wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:35 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:44 pm Good grief. It's 2021 and he's been working for 20 months now to get rid of the N-word.

I had forgotten that. Our family (southeast Ohio) stopped calling them "Black toes" in the sixties when we found out they were actually Brazil nuts. That was about the same time we discovered that "mangoes" were actually bell peppers, probably because tropical mangoes started showing up in stores.
How do you might imagine I felt having to educate mature grown adults on this? A kid. My father apologized two decades later. (and yes, this was Ohio when it all happened)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My dad was a racist. My mom was a social justice advocate. The four kids are social justice advocates.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:56 am My dad was a racist. My mom was a social justice advocate. The four kids are social justice advocates.
I don't know why -- might be because I knew I was gay-ish then and the stigma I was going through. But everything seemed wrong with that word. I wasn't overtly militant with it, but if someone spoke that word in my presence, they were going to get scolded by a 12yo. Neon could be a prick even way back then. :biggrin:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:56 am My dad was a racist. My mom was a social justice advocate. The four kids are social justice advocates.
Ummmmm...how did they end up together :confuzzled:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:21 pm
They both loved music and each other. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:20 pm
That's what I was going to say. Love will find a way. (wasn't there a song (more than one) about that?)

''

Or opposites attract?

northland10

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:29 am
I don't know why -- might be because I knew I was gay-ish then and the stigma I was going through. But everything seemed wrong with that word. I wasn't overtly militant with it, but if someone spoke that word in my presence, they were going to get scolded by a 12yo. Neon could be a prick even way back then. :biggrin:
As long as I can remember, that word, and racism in general was considered a very bad thing in my family. The most involved discussion we had about racism that I can recall was when Roots came out. For my family, it was not just television but a teachable moment for this 9-year-old.

My grandmother grew up in the bootheel of Missouri, but it appears some of the ugliness in that area did not rub off. Granted, she was the daughter of the long-time superintendent and not from a long residing farming family.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:20 pm
That made me smile on a sad day. :biggrin:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My father was a racist bigot who got more outspoken about it as he got older & drunker; Estiveo's Mom was the most colorblind person I've ever known.

Any racist, derogatory name for blacks, Hispanics, asians, Jews, Catholics, Italians, Poles, you name it, I grew up hearing it. (Never Irish, though; we're Scots/Irish.)
Image Image Image Image
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

I was raised on the coast of Oregon, (Oregon having a very storied history of racism). The town had a very miniscule air force closet (too small to be a base) where they would not station any POC there because of the treatment they would receive in town. I never heard my parents express anything but equality for anyone and everyone during my upbringing. (She was from Newark, New York and he was from Sioux Falls, SD). However my grandmother was a different story being from Missouri. What I remember most was the evening of her 90th birthday. The entire family was at a very swanky restaurant in San Francisco where, after imbibing quite a few martinis, she, my grandmother announced, in a very loud voice, that she had decided that POC (more colorful language, which I shall not use) were almost like "real" (meaning white) people. And, of course, this happened just as our server, who was a POC, came to our table. Lovely, NOT! I guess it was step forward, very small by all of us, but probably huge for her.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:27 pm As long as I can remember, that word, and racism in general was considered a very bad thing in my family. The most involved discussion we had about racism that I can recall was when Roots came out. For my family, it was not just television but a teachable moment for this 9-year-old.
If you were 9yo, we were about the same age when Roots was released. I'd already defined myself on this (racism) -- put a stake in the ground -- Roots was just a really long (and boring to a kid) mini-series.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:37 pm
northland10 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:27 pm As long as I can remember, that word, and racism in general was considered a very bad thing in my family. The most involved discussion we had about racism that I can recall was when Roots came out. For my family, it was not just television but a teachable moment for this 9-year-old.
If you were 9yo, we were about the same age when Roots was released. I'd already defined myself on this (racism) -- put a stake in the ground -- Roots was just a really long (and boring to a kid) mini-series.
As far as I can remember, I had already defined myself on this as well (racism is bad) though I did have the advantage of parents who despised racism and a Quaker meeting that was the same. Still, for me, Roots was a meaningful experience and led to questions and discussions. It is one thing to talk about slavery and racism, it is another to see it in front of you. My parents, while being music teachers, were still teachers and never let a good teachable moment got to waste.

I can safely say, I was not bored with that mini-series. I watched it intently with the rest of the family.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Georgetown Law professor terminated after ‘reprehensible’ comments about Black students
By Lauren Lumpkin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... story.html
The video clip — which was shared on Twitter this week — showed Sellers discussing student performance.

“I hate to say this. I end up having this angst every semester that a lot of my lower ones are Blacks,” Sellers said in the video. “Happens almost every semester. And it’s like, ‘Oh, come on.’ You get some really good ones, but there are also usually some that are just plain at the bottom. It drives me crazy.”

Law Center Dean William ­Treanor said Thursday that he informed Sellers she was terminated and that she had indicated she had planned to resign. Batson was placed on administrative leave pending the investigation, Trea­nor said.

The dean said the incident underscores the school’s needs for more anti-bias training. He said officials are taking steps to ensure that students in Sellers and Batson’s class are graded fairly.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Fiascoist wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:36 pm I was raised on the coast of Oregon, (Oregon having a very storied history of racism). The town had a very miniscule air force closet (too small to be a base) where they would not station any POC there because of the treatment they would receive in town. I never heard my parents express anything but equality for anyone and everyone during my upbringing. (She was from Newark, New York and he was from Sioux Falls, SD). However my grandmother was a different story being from Missouri. What I remember most was the evening of her 90th birthday. The entire family was at a very swanky restaurant in San Francisco where, after imbibing quite a few martinis, she, my grandmother announced, in a very loud voice, that she had decided that POC (more colorful language, which I shall not use) were almost like "real" (meaning white) people. And, of course, this happened just as our server, who was a POC, came to our table. Lovely, NOT! I guess it was step forward, very small by all of us, but probably huge for her.
Hello, fellow Oregonian!!

Oregon's racist history is much deeper than I knew for quite a while.

When Portland banned blacks: Oregon’s shameful history as an ‘all-white’ state

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ret ... ite-state/
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I had an uncle, whom I loathed for many reasons, who always said blacks had a missing bone in their feet, which meant they weren't human.

I can remember when he had a fit when my cousin went to a Harry Belafonte concert.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”