Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

"Authoritarian Nightmare: Trump and His Followers"

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

There is a bumper crop of Trump books, but one caught my eye: "Authoritarian Nightmare: Trump and His Followers" by John Dean and Bob Altemeyer. Altemeyer, a Canadian psychologist, wrote a pre-Trump book that I found insightful, "The Authoritarians" (that you can download for free).

I'll leave my impression when I finish it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

DrConspiracy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:29 pm There is a bumper crop of Trump books, but one caught my eye: "Authoritarian Nightmare: Trump and His Followers" by John Dean and Bob Altemeyer. Altemeyer, a Canadian psychologist, wrote a pre-Trump book that I found insightful, "The Authoritarians" (that you can download for free).

I'll leave my impression when I finish it.
You have likely found a winner. I will look for it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I read Altemeyer's summary of Trump's coup attempt. Excellent. In a nutshell, he concludes that Trump's coup failed because he is too stupid to plan an effective coup.

And we are talking about John Dean of Watergate fame, I assume?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

SuzieC wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:26 pm I read Altemeyer's summary of Trump's coup attempt. Excellent. In a nutshell, he concludes that Trump's coup failed because he is too stupid to plan an effective coup.

Yep. He has written several books on authoritarians, at least one with Altemeyer. Well worth the reads.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve mentioned this before:

John Dean holds a special place in my heart. When I was at FireDogLake, we read his book ‘Conservatives Without a Conscience’ and he came online to do a book salon with us. What started out as an hour-long discussion turned into 2.5, until he absolutely had to go. We weren’t done, though.

We kept submitting questions after he left and he answered them all later that night. In all he spent about 5 hours with us dirty fucking hippies and our great questions. Emptywheel was there, as I remember.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:36 pm I’ve mentioned this before:

John Dean holds a special place in my heart. When I was at FireDogLake, we read his book ‘Conservatives Without a Conscience’ and he came online to do a book salon with us. What started out as an hour-long discussion turned into 2.5, until he absolutely had to go. We weren’t done, though.

We kept submitting questions after he left and he answered them all later that night. In all he spent about 5 hours with us dirty fucking hippies and our great questions. Emptywheel was there, as I remember.
Very cool!

I've read Conservatives Without a Conscience over and over.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Boy, was he right. He said they’d keep coming and here they are.
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

SuzieC wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:26 pm I read Altemeyer's summary of Trump's coup attempt. Excellent. In a nutshell, he concludes that Trump's coup failed because he is too stupid to plan an effective coup.

Yes, it's that John Dean.
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

This is the SECOND EDITION of the book with post coup material. August 25, 2020.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”