Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Reality Check - About that healthy part of a Happy and Healthy New Year

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I learned the importance of the healthy part of that. Before Christmas I developed a mild chest cold. Mrs. RC had a cold about a week before me. Mine hung around and on News Years weekend started getting worse. I seemed to go downhill every day from Monday 1/2 forward. I was weak, coughing like crazy and had no appetite I called the doctor Tuesday and he prescribed us both an antibiotics (Z-pack). Friday morning I took a home COVID test and that was negative. We had an O2 saturation meter and I was only mid-80s. We went to urgent care and they confirmed the low oxygen sat. They did some swabs and one test for influenza type B came back positive. They transported me to the hospital. I was in the ICU for two days (actually 3 nights because they could not find another room). X-rays confirmed double pneumonia but they never confirmed the influenza. I had meta pneumonia virus in both lungs with a probable bacterial infection. I never had a positive COVID test.

I was on O2 at max rate when I came in but after steroid IV’s, antibiotics and a bunch of other drugs and breathing treatments my oxygen needs decreased every day and I was weaned off completely Wednesday. Thursday morning everyone was satisfied I could be released. So I am home. I will still be taking an oral steroid and antibiotics for several days.

Maybe should have gone to first care earlier but you always figure you can kick stuff like that. This time I could not. I thought I had all the latest vaccinations for pneumonia but I guess you can still get it.

I am feeling much better now. Double pneumonia is sure a hell of a way to lose weight

JT8 will be proud. I made my NFL picks for week 18 from the ICU on my iPad. Got to keep your priorities straight. :fingerwag:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Glad you're on the mend! :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Glad you’re feeling better and back home. :bighug: :bighug:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Yeah i had pneumonia a few years ago it was not fun. The doctor asked me how i wasn't in the er since I had water in my lungs.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
realist

Post by realist »

Glad you are on the mend and home. Home alway seem to help at least the attitude if not the underlying problem.
Take care, RC and heal completely.
:bighug:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yikes! I like an adventurous life, but not that kind of adventure!

Get better soonest! :thumbsup:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Had the same sort of experience with my husband about four or five years ago. He ended up in the hospital for a week. The doctor in the ER (straight from the doctor's office in an ambulance) said he would have been dead in 24 hours if I had not dragged him to the doctor. He also had pneumonia vaccines, but the doctor said they can't protect against all of it. He still ended up with double pneumonia. I learned from that experience that it's a very sneaky disease.

I had a casual friend whose husband died of it more than 20 years ago, so not very old. I always wondered how a doctor could miss it, but have learned it's not that hard to miss if the patient doesn't seek help earlier enough.

Hope you feel much better soon!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:23 pm

JT8 will be proud. I made my NFL picks for week 18 from the ICU on my iPad. Got to keep your priorities straight. :fingerwag:
Humbled is more like it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

So very, very glad you are home and on the mend. :heart: :heart:

Note to anyone reading this: Get a pulse oximeter. Twenty bucks, max. Keep it where you keep your thermometer. Use it when you feel crappy.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:26 pm Had the same sort of experience with my husband about four or five years ago. He ended up in the hospital for a week. The doctor in the ER (straight from the doctor's office in an ambulance) said he would have been dead in 24 hours if I had not dragged him to the doctor. He also had pneumonia vaccines, but the doctor said they can't protect against all of it. He still ended up with double pneumonia. I learned from that experience that it's a very sneaky disease.

I had a casual friend whose husband died of it more than 20 years ago, so not very old. I always wondered how a doctor could miss it, but have learned it's not that hard to miss if the patient doesn't seek help earlier enough.

Thanks! I will know the signs next time and measure O2 saturation when I am sick. I was so weak that I could not even get dressed w/o being exhausted. I think I was a day from being in serious trouble. The hospital said I was one step from a ventilator when things turned. I think since COVID hospitals are geared up to handle respiratory issues aggressively.

I spent 6 days. 3 in ICU, 2 in step down and 1 in a regular room.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Glad you're doing better!

I have one of those fancy-pants watches that monitors stuff. If it's showing my O2 as low, I've got a regular pulse-ox I can grab to double check it. Mine seems to bounce all over the place, but even with my self-titrating CPAP, I'll still get down into the 80s while I'm sleeping (according to the watch which gives me my O2 range for when I'm sleeping.)
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh my!!! So glad you are doing better.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

So glad you are home and feeling better! What a skeery experience!!!! :bighug: :bighug:

I have repeatedly advised my sons that if their significant other says they need to go to the doctor, believe them!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:25 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:26 pm Had the same sort of experience with my husband about four or five years ago. He ended up in the hospital for a week. The doctor in the ER (straight from the doctor's office in an ambulance) said he would have been dead in 24 hours if I had not dragged him to the doctor. He also had pneumonia vaccines, but the doctor said they can't protect against all of it. He still ended up with double pneumonia. I learned from that experience that it's a very sneaky disease.

Thanks! I will know the signs next time and measure O2 saturation when I am sick. I was so weak that I could not even get dressed w/o being exhausted. I think I was a day from being in serious trouble. The hospital said I was one step from a ventilator when things turned. I think since COVID hospitals are geared up to handle respiratory issues aggressively.

I spent 6 days. 3 in ICU, 2 in step down and 1 in a regular room.
Another thing to look for as one gets older is confusion, disorientation, and delirium. They can be signs of infection. That was the main thing that drove me to get him to the doctor.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:10 pm :snippity:
Another thing to look for as one gets older is confusion, disorientation, and delirium. They can be signs of infection. That was the main thing that drove me to get him to the doctor.
Yep, Mrs. RC says I am like that all the time. But she noticed I was off more than usual when this crap hit.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

So what's the prognosis? What do you have to do to try to prevent another attack like that? It sounds like you were in real trouble for a while there, three days in the ICU, yikes!

So what does the future hold for you? I mean, of course you're required to regain your health and keep posting on Fogbow :biggrin: but what are the specifics?
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:32 am So what's the prognosis? What do you have to do to try to prevent another attack like that? It sounds like you were in real trouble for a while there, three days in the ICU, yikes!

So what does the future hold for you? I mean, of course you're required to regain your health and keep posting on Fogbow :biggrin: but what are the specifics?
I should have a full recovery. They at first were hinting I might need oxygen at home but I passed the walking around with no oxygen test with flying colors. I will be on oral antibiotics and steroids for another few days.

I was in ICU an extra day or two because they just did not have another place to move me. I finally got moved to step down and was there an extra night for the same reason. When I came in the ER last week the patients were stacked up like Walter Fitzpatrick's cord wood. Lesson learned is to go to a first care place then get transported to the hospital. The first care place got me in and on oxygen then at the hospital I got right into an examination room. The nurse told me they had wait times up to 14 hours in the ER.

I just need to monitor my oxygen saturation in the future especially if I get a bug. I have orders for a bunch of PT followup too. I see the pulmonary doctor in a couple of weeks. I will no more about long term then. I have improved a lot since I got home.
June bug

Post by June bug »

So glad you’re feeling better after such a scary thing, RC! :bighug: :bighug:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

June bug wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:11 am So glad you’re feeling better after such a scary thing, RC! :bighug: :bighug:
Yep, this was new to me. Thanks to everyone for the wishes for a full recovery. :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Welcome to the club RC. This year a bunch of us have stood on the precipice peering over. Glad you were able to step back.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:14 pm So very, very glad you are home and on the mend. :heart: :heart:

Note to anyone reading this: Get a pulse oximeter. Twenty bucks, max. Keep it where you keep your thermometer. Use it when you feel crappy.
A pulse oximeter is definitely a handy doodad to have in your home first aid. Blood pressure machines are super affordable too.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Here we call first care "Urgent Care" and ol' Wifehorn is always telling her clients to start there instead of the emergency room. I read your story to her and she has new ammunition for persuading people to go to Urgent Care first. Or first care urgently, whichever. :biggrin:

Or the future.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:24 am :snippity:
A pulse oximeter is definitely a handy doodad to have in your home first aid. Blood pressure machines are super affordable too.
Yes, I have multiple blood pressure machines. We are in a Medicare Advantage plan that gives us $70/quarter to spend on OTC products. I usually get a blood pressure box about once per year. I take mine daily and record it in the iPhone Health app. I know I could spend a little more and get one with Bluetooth but just haven't done that yet.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”