2024: California Senate (Feinstein's seat)

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:brickwallsmall:

Devin Nunes says Adam Schiff wants Feinstein to stay in office “because Gavin Newsom has said .. that he is going to appoint some LGBTQ, black, whatever, woman, trans, I don’t know. Anything but a white dude.”
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Why does everyone have to be 80yo? Don’t we have any young blood available?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:08 pm Why does everyone have to be 80yo? Don’t we have any young blood available?
Other contenders for this seat include Secretary Beccera (65), Rep. Schiff (62), Rep. Porter (49), and ... Governor Newsom (55).
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I lean towards Porter.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
somerset

Post by somerset »

I think Schiff would be much more effective, even if only for one term.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I like Porter but the thought of Sen Schiff makes my heart go pitter patter.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:04 pm I like Porter but the thought of Sen Schiff makes my heart go pitter patter.
Same here. I love Porter, but also have been a huge fan of Schiff for a very long time. And agree with somerset, he will be hugely effective in the Senate. He would make a really good Democratic leader as well. I like Barbara Lee, but 77 is just to old to start your Senate career.*

*I don't really think there should be such a thing as Senate or House "career", I am a strong advocate for term limits. Don't get me started. I just erased two paragraphs of what I would like to see changed with campaign rules, qualifying for running for office, including an amendment to the Constitution to include new requirements for presidential candidates.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I spoke with a relative who resides in SoCali last week on this issue. She thinks Diane should be allowed to continue. I like Diane and all, but her health issues are crippling our ability to get work done on the Hill.

My relative forwarded me the news of Diane's complications this morning. It's time to let it go. She can live out her years promoting charity causes and raising money for same... but D.C.? Thank you for your service.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:14 am All I know is people suffer various degrees of shingles, from painfully annoying to Jeez, just kill me now. :snippity: :snippity:
I had an odd rash and thought it was an allergy. Allergy meds didn't help. It was spreading, and I had an odd feeling. The rash was heating up. So I thought I'd call a doctor for a tele-appointment. He knew what it was & called the closest pharmacy (it was almost 5pm) so I could get the pills. I pulled on a shirt that mostly hid the rash and raced to the clinic. Whew! Made it by 5 minutes. Apparently, the pills work if taken in 3 to 4 days, and that was day 4. Burning & pain went away quickly.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Lani wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:33 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:14 am All I know is people suffer various degrees of shingles, from painfully annoying to Jeez, just kill me now. :snippity: :snippity:
I had an odd rash and thought it was an allergy. Allergy meds didn't help. It was spreading, and I had an odd feeling. The rash was heating up. So I thought I'd call a doctor for a tele-appointment. He knew what it was & called the closest pharmacy (it was almost 5pm) so I could get the pills. I pulled on a shirt that mostly hid the rash and raced to the clinic. Whew! Made it by 5 minutes. Apparently, the pills work if taken in 3 to 4 days, and that was day 4. Burning & pain went away quickly.
I am really REALLY happy you caught it in time. :bighug:
Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Am I alone in thinking that if she wants to suffer through her entire term, that she could still resign all her committee positions so someone else could fill the role and get things moving?

It would take a lot of the burden off her, she'd only have to study and vote and stay awake.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
June bug

Post by June bug »

keith wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:34 pm Am I alone in thinking that if she wants to suffer through her entire term, that she could still resign all her committee positions so someone else could fill the role and get things moving?

It would take a lot of the burden off her, she'd only have to study and vote and stay awake.
One major problem with that is that Republicans have already said they will block any replacement for her on the Judiciary committee. That means no Biden judicial nominees can be voted out of committee. Even in her diminished capacity, her committee vote means those nominations can move forward to the Senate floor.
keith

Post by keith »

How can they block a replacement?
bob

Post by bob »

keith wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:30 am How can they block a replacement?
I presume the filibuster.
Image ImageImage
keith

Post by keith »

That would stop them from getting ANYBODY on ANY committee at ANY time then.

How could they stop THIS ONE vacant position?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

keith wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:59 am That would stop them from getting ANYBODY on ANY committee at ANY time then.

How could they stop THIS ONE vacant position?
You need 60 votes to mess with committee assignments. Dems are only 51-49.
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/18/11706245 ... udiciary-p
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:09 amYou need 60 votes to mess with committee assignments. Dems are only 51-49.
60, of course, being the vote required for cloture.

The parties have a vested interest in reaching a compromise when initially making committee assignments. Not so if a vacancy occurs mid-session.

In days of yore, this kind of maintenance wouldn't be subject to such partisan bickering. But this majority is razor thin, and the Judiciary is a powerful committee. So the minority has an incentive to make mischief and create delay.

In theory, the Democrats could go nuclear and abolish the filibuster for committee assignments. But I doubt they will.
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

:brickwallsmall:
Image ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: Please no.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bob

Post by bob »

IIRC, the governor names an interim senator.

California will have to schedule an election for the parties to nominate people to fill the rest of the remaining, uncompleted term. (I expect whomever is named as the interim senator will seek this nomination for the Democrats.)

Once the parties have their nominees, California will vote (likely in June) on who should fill the remainder of this term. (The interim senator should win this election.)

California in June also will vote on the parties' candidates in a primary for the next term. (Per Newsom's comments, he doesn't want the interim senator to seek this nomination.)

And then, in November of next year, actually vote for a senator to fill the full term (that will start in January 2025).
Image ImageImage
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

bob wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:46 pm IIRC, the governor names an interim senator.

California will have to schedule an election for the parties to nominate people to fill the rest of the remaining, uncompleted term. (I expect whomever is named as the interim senator will seek this nomination for the Democrats.)

Once the parties have their nominees, California will vote (likely in June) on who should fill the remainder of this term. (The interim senator should win this election.)

California in June also will vote on the parties' candidates in a primary for the next term. (Per Newsom's comments, he doesn't want the interim senator to seek this nomination.)

And then, in November of next year, actually vote for a senator to fill the full term (that will start in January 2025).
That's how it worked when Alex Padilla succeeded Kamala Harris.
Image Image Image Image
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

It's Laphonza Butler, head of Emily's List. :heart:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/0 ... r-00119360
California Gov. Gavin Newsom will appoint EMILY’s List President Laphonza Butler to fill the seat of the late Sen. Dianne Feinstein, elevating the head of a fundraising juggernaut that works to elect Democratic women who support abortion rights, according to a person familiar with the decision.

Newsom is moving swiftly to name the next senator, two days after Feinstein’s death and just as a perilously split Congress narrowly averted a government shutdown. Senate Democrats are in need of every vote in the closely divided chamber.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As far ass I can tell, she sounds like a good choice.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Meh. She's a political strategist. A hired gun. An odd choice for a representative of the state, she hasn't lived here very long.

This appointment sounds like political strategy. Never heard of her, but she ticks some requisite boxes, along with some that may prove to be dodgy.

I don't trust politicians but I sure as hell don't trust lobbyists. Hired guns can backfire. This could lead to some drama.

Not to worry, we don't have any say in the matter.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Well, he did say he wanted to fill the seat with someone who wasn't going to run for it, so this lobbyist may truly be a temporary replacement

If Meghan were to run and win, would she then be Senator Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle Windsor
or Duchess of Sussex Senator Meghan Markle Windsor?*

*(I know, they gave up their royal titles,so the whole joke is moot, but I thought it was funny anyway. So there ya go!)

Return to “U.S. Senate”