AI and writing

DrConspiracy
Verified:

AI and writing

Post by DrConspiracy »

I wrote a post for Fogbow and then thought I'd submit it to an AI writing program to clean it up. I tend to write in a stream of consciousness style and usually benefit from improved organization. Here is the before and the after.

My draft:
I'm a little ashamed over my inattention to what my member of Congress, Bob Good, does, but he called attention to himself by sending me his year-end newsletter. In that newsletter Good lists his "2022 Legislative Highlights," the first of which was his introduction of the Empowering Parents Act"." He says:
No child should be subject to participate in a public school curriculum which encourages them to embrace woke ideology, view sexually explicit material, or learn divisive critical race theory. The Empowering Parents Act creates a private right of action for parents to sue taxpayer-funded schools and stop forced indoctrination of their children.
Here's the press release and here is the draft bill. The bill had 2 co-sponsors, Rep. Mary Miller (R-IL), Rep. Randy Weber (R-TX), Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), and Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ).

The proposed legislation itself doesn't use the phrases "woke ideology" or "critical race theory," leaving one to wonder what he's talking about. When I attended an all-white segregated school in Alabama in the 1960s, I got a little bit of "woke ideology." We had a substitute teacher named Mrs. Simmons in what would not be called "middle school" today. She told us about how shamefully Native Americans had been treated and their land was stolen.
Here us ChatGPT's rewrite:
I recently received a year-end newsletter from my member of Congress, Bob Good, in which he highlighted his "2022 Legislative Highlights," the first of which was the introduction of the Empowering Parents Act. According to Good, "No child should be subject to participate in a public school curriculum which encourages them to embrace woke ideology, view sexually explicit material, or learn divisive critical race theory." The Empowering Parents Act, which had four co-sponsors (Rep. Mary Miller, Rep. Randy Weber, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, and Rep. Paul Gosar), would allow parents to sue taxpayer-funded schools and seek to stop the "forced indoctrination" of their children. It is worth noting that the legislation itself does not specifically mention "woke ideology" or "critical race theory," leaving one to question the exact nature of the curricular content that is being targeted. As someone who attended an all-white segregated school in Alabama in the 1960s, I recall learning about the mistreatment of Native Americans and the theft of their land from a substitute teacher named Mrs. Simmons. This could be considered an example of "woke ideology" being introduced in a school setting.
That is what I posted on Fogbow (adding some paragraphs and a URL). And here is a second version ChatGPT offered:
I must admit that I have been negligent in keeping track of my representative, Bob Good, but his recent year-end newsletter caught my attention. In the newsletter, Good highlighted his "2022 Legislative Highlights," the first of which was the introduction of the Empowering Parents Act. According to Good, "No child should be subjected to a public school curriculum that promotes woke ideology, displays sexually explicit material, or teaches divisive critical race theory. The Empowering Parents Act allows parents to sue taxpayer-funded schools and halt the forced indoctrination of their children through the creation of a private right of action." The press release and draft bill can be found [here]. The bill was co-sponsored by Representatives Mary Miller, Randy Weber, Marjorie Taylor Greene, and Paul Gosar.

It is worth noting that the proposed legislation does not mention "woke ideology" or "critical race theory," leaving one to speculate on what Good is referring to. In my experience attending an all-white segregated school in Alabama during the 1960s, I received some "woke ideology" myself. We had a substitute teacher named Mrs. Simmons in what would now be considered "middle school." She told us about the injustices inflicted upon Native Americans and the theft of their land.
Patagoniagirl

AI and writing

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Wow!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

AI and writing

Post by raison de arizona »

:lol:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

AI and writing

Post by RTH10260 »

Will teachers now not only forbid Wkikipedia for homework but also ChatGPT and other robots?
raison de arizona

AI and writing

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:33 pm Will teachers now not only forbid Wkikipedia for homework but also ChatGPT and other robots?
I can't imagine how they couldn't. Might be hard to detect though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

AI and writing

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... gpt-ruling
A judge in Colombia has caused a stir by admitting he used the artificial intelligence tool ChatGPT when deciding whether an autistic child’s insurance should cover all of the costs of his medical treatment. He also used precedent from previous rulings to support his decision.

Juan Manuel Padilla, a judge in the Caribbean city of Cartagena, concluded that the entirety of the child’s medical expenses and transport costs should be paid by his medical plan as his parents could not afford them.

While the judgment itself did not cause much fuss, the inclusion of Padilla’s conversations with ChatGPT in the ruling has been more contentious.

Among Padilla’s inquiries with the chatbot, the legal documents show Padilla asked ChatGPT the precise legal matter at hand: “Is an autistic minor exonerated from paying fees for their therapies?”

ChatGPT’s response corresponded with the judge’s final decision: “Yes, this is correct. According to the regulations in Colombia, minors diagnosed with autism are exempt from paying fees for their therapies.”

The case has raised a discussion over the use of AI in law and has been criticised by some of Padilla’s peers.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

AI and writing

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:19 pm https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... gpt-ruling
:snippity:

Among Padilla’s inquiries with the chatbot, the legal documents show Padilla asked ChatGPT the precise legal matter at hand: “Is an autistic minor exonerated from paying fees for their therapies?”

ChatGPT’s response corresponded with the judge’s final decision: “Yes, this is correct. According to the regulations in Colombia, minors diagnosed with autism are exempt from paying fees for their therapies.”

The case has raised a discussion over the use of AI in law and has been criticised by some of Padilla’s peers.
The problem is that accodring to this article the judge did obviously not research and quote the respective law after using the chatbot. I guess Colombia will need to use AI to place such questions based the own country laws. While I have no knowlege about this, I bet uch AI search engines have already been implemented elsewhere, maybe just more concealed unter the general query user interface.
raison de arizona

AI and writing

Justine Moore @venturetwins wrote: As ChatGPT becomes more restrictive, Reddit users have been jailbreaking it with a prompt called DAN (Do Anything Now).

They're on version 5.0 now, which includes a token-based system that punishes the model for refusing to answer questions.
raison de arizona

AI and writing

b-boy bouiebaisse @jbouie wrote: conservatives have really decided to make “why won’t the AI say slurs” their crusade this week

Return to “Science”