💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
tek

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by tek »

He will negotiate no more.
Until he does.

All these years of standing for exactly nothing are coming home to roost.
Or something like that.
New Turtle

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by New Turtle »

This coward hasn't fought for anything since he's been in office. He only claims to do so now cause he's scared to end up like Eric Cantor and be forced out.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

It's not looking good for Qevin. But I still think he will win in the end.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

It was a "bad" thing when Hillary was accused of earning the job, but it's a "good" thing when this nitwit says it?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

OMG, MSNBC has Steve Kornacki at the Big Board counting McCarthy's votes. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:popcorn:

McCarthy just on saying he doesn't have the votes.

:popcorn:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was just watching Steve Kornaki, and that's saying something. He usually gets on my nerves.

But it looks like I might get my wish. More than one ballot. :pray:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Steve Kornacki said Kevin might be trying to get some members to vote "present." Those votes would not count, and thus the voting threshold would be lowered to about 214.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And this is bad news for Joe Biden...
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

You don’t have the votes, you don’t have the votes!

Such a blunder makes me wonder why I even bring the thunder.

On a serious note, I think it would be great if we got around to political drama about issues and not process and personality.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:53 am
I wonder what that means.

Probably something along the lines of "you can be speaker, but you must first get the approval of the Freedumb Caucus before you do anything".

I, too, think that he will eventually get the job, but he is going to be seriously damaged goods for the next two years. He will be under the thumb of the likes of emptygee, bobo and Gaitz.

The good news is that this congress will not be able to pass any legislation that hurts people. The bad news is that this congress won't be able to pass any legislation that helps people. I predict one of the least productive congresses in history.

They will spend their time investigating every democrat in sight. Emptygee probably already has articles of impeachment against President Biden, just waiting until a speaker is elected and the House can conduct other business. I look for her to introduce the articles this week or next.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

One good thing is that the Five Ninnys will be constantly fighting one another to be Chief dingbat and to get in front of the nearest TV screen, so they wont have a chance to formulate a policy.
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Gupwalla wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:48 am You don’t have the votes, you don’t have the votes!

Such a blunder makes me wonder why I even bring the thunder.

On a serious note, I think it would be great if we got around to political drama about issues and not process and personality.
:yeahthat:
So much :yeahthat:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:43 am Steve Kornacki said Kevin might be trying to get some members to vote "present." Those votes would not count, and thus the voting threshold would be lowered to about 214.
How many "present" votes to lower the quota such that the Democrats could "accidentially" push thru their own candidate :?: :cantlook:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was wondering that, too. :popcorn:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Not sure but already 8 Rs have voted against McCarthy. No one has voted present so far.

Steve Kornacki speculates that some may start voting present in second round. If that happens Jeffries with a solid 212 votes could "accidentally" slip in!!
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:07 pm I wonder what that means.
I read it as meaning the Freedom Caucus agreed to support McCarthy's Speakership provided he agreed to their terms, such as a rule allowing for a single member to move to remove the current Speaker.

And reports suggest Freedom Caucus members were demanding plum assignments for their votes.

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:05 pm How many "present" votes to lower the quota such that the Democrats could "accidentially" push thru their own candidate :?:
Democrats current have 212 votes (a member recently died) and the Republicans have 222.

Because the Speaker must be elected by a majority, 11 is the minimum number of "present" votes that would give the Speakership to the Democrats. And Republicans could block that by simply voting for someone other than McCarthy or the Democratic nominee.
Image ImageImage
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:31 pm
18 as of this poast
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

19. Come on 20. Nice, memorable number.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Jeffries! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I know he didn't win, but he got the plurality.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Final vote Jeffries 212 to about 200 (?) McCarthy.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

hahahahaha
BrooklynDad_Defiant!☮️ @mmpadellan

BREAKING: The 1st round count is over.
Rep Hakeem Jeffries dusted McCarthy, 212-203.

FUCKING HILARIOUS.
1:45 PM · Jan 3, 2023
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “Current Politics”