Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - "My Kevin" McCarthy "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, House Speaker /Clowns

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Dave from down under

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Dave from down under »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:12 pm Just plain and simple cruel--and stupid.
GOP core values
Suranis

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Suranis »

And if they are enforcing a dress code, then make Gym Jordan wear a goddam suit jacket for once in his life.

I should also point out they want to make smoking ok in the house chamber.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Suranis wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:37 pm And if they are enforcing a dress code, then make Gym Jordan wear a goddam suit jacket for once in his life.

I should also point out they want to make smoking ok in the house chamber.
They already made it okay in offices. One of the very few offices in the US where one can smoke.

They should smoke doobies, maybe they would lighten up.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:47 pm They do NOT want to piss off the cancer survivors. Loss of hair during chemo is an incredibly emotional thing for most people, male and female, and a lot of time and money and thought go into the decision of whether to wear a wig, a hat or "go naked" and just live with the bald. It is an extremely personal decision and chemo patients are fiercely protective of each other about things like hair loss, breast reconstruction, colostomys and scar surgery. We've already traveled the road to hell. Stepping on a bunch of congress people would be a brisk walk in the park for us. Cancer survivors are not the group to pick a fight with.

I chose to go naked and also to forego breast reconstruction. My hair has grown back (curly as a poodle's ass) but the boobs won't.
You beat me to it. It’s a personal decision, and why would anyone think it’s okay to pick on someone who’s going through the hell all of us hope we can avoid? How is that a good look?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Republican House Oversight Committee disbands Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties

Cheyanne M. Daniels
Tue, January 31, 2023 at 7:59 PM GMT+1

The Republican-controlled House Oversight and Accountability Committee has disbanded the Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, which focused on issues including voting rights, freedom of assembly and criminal justice reform policies.

In a committee meeting on Tuesday, Chairman James Comer (R-Ky.) said this doesn’t mean topics related to these issues can’t be brought before the committee.

“Let me be very clear: any topic that’s not mentioned in the subcommittee jurisdiction is reserved for the full committee,” Comer said. “We can have a committee hearing in this committee on basically anything we want.”

A spokesperson for the panel told The Hill that “Oversight Republicans are realigning subcommittees to ensure the efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability of the federal government and all its agencies. Going forward, subcommittees will now be better equipped to meet our mission, identify problems, and propose meaningful legislative reforms for the American people.”

But Rep. Jasmine Crockett (D-Texas) is urging the committee to reinstate the subcommittee, saying that the loss of it sends an “unmistakable message to the American people that their civil rights and civil liberties are no longer a priority to the 118th Congress.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-h ... 29008.html
(original: The Hill)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:roll: :roll: :roll:

"Will the Weather Channel be canceled next if they refuse to bow to the left's altar of climate change?" -- Lauren Boebert on the House floor on DirecTV dropping Newsmax
Rep. Eric Burlison compares DirecTV dropping Newsmax to the Holocaust
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@RepJamesComer
: We're all rooting for you. We know that you're going to win this battle. You're in our thoughts & prayers.

@RepRaskin
: I've been gratified to receive so many kind words of encouragement & sympathy...I certainly plan on getting though this thing and beating it.
raison de arizona

Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:54 pm :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1620579447765192704
"Will the Weather Channel be canceled next if they refuse to bow to the left's altar of climate change?" -- Lauren Boebert on the House floor on DirecTV dropping Newsmax
Rep. Eric Burlison compares DirecTV dropping Newsmax to the Holocaust
These people are completely insane. This House is really going to be something.

Something bad.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

UPDATE: This has been resolved. And Dems have named their 9 members, including VI delegate PLASKETT as the ranking member. She’s a former prosecutor who was a standout impeachment manager during Jan. 6 Trump impeachment.
And Dan Goldman too.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Dan Goldman has been chomping at the bit for this. Given his experience in Impeachment v1, not to mention his experience as a prosecutor, I think he's perfect for this. So glad the Dems have decided to participate and call out the hypocrisy and the unconstitutionality of this Committee and it's R members.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Republicans & Democratic members of the House Judiciary got into a lengthy/ heated debate during their first biz meeting this morning over a proposed amendment from Matt Gaetz to recite the pledge of allegiance at the start of each committee meeting.
A few more details at the link.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rep Goldman strong out of the gate. Letter here:

https://lieu.house.gov/sites/lieu.house ... Durham.pdf

DOJ IG is limited in their ability to look at DOJ attorneys. A bill to fix that (IG Access Act of 2021) died last month. Yet DOJ IG is involved in (criminal) cases of Jeff Clark and others, so who knows.
raison de arizona

How many times a day should they have to pledge allegiance? Even as a school kid I only had to do it once a day. :crazy:
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:20 pmSo glad the Dems have decided to participate and call out the hypocrisy and the unconstitutionality of this Committee and it's R members.
Exactly: the lop-sized nature of the J6 committee did not benefit those who boycotted it.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:27 pm How many times a day should they have to pledge allegiance? Even as a school kid I only had to do it once a day. :crazy:
I recited it daily without a clue as to what it meant. Even as a teen, I didn’t think about it. At some point I quit because it was rote and no one noticed or cared whether you said it.

If Democrats fight this, that proves they’re un-American. So the cult and panderers will claim.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Nahh..

Go with the oath

And then as points of order go through all the R failings to uphold that oath…

Each day
Every day
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Obviously the Republicans need multiple reminders each day about where their allegiance lies.

:shrug:

Unfortunately, they are incapable of understanding what they are saying.
raison de arizona

R-NY, election integrity caucus chair
https://twitter.com/claudiatenney/statu ... 5959538693
Claudia Tenney @claudiatenney wrote: Today, some people will do something to Ilhan Omar’s committee assignment.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Phillips: She doesn't question whether a plane really smashed into the towers on 9/11, she doesn't wonder if school shootings in America are staged. She has not propagated the absurd notion that space lasers financed by the Rothschild family..
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

🚨 NEWS 🚨 Governor
@SarahHuckabee
of Arkansas will deliver the Republican Address to the Nation after the State of the Union next Tuesday, February 7.
raison de arizona

AOC, right on again.
CSPAN @cspan wrote: .@RepAOC @AOC defends Rep. @Ilhan Omar: "Don't tell me this is about consistency. Don't tell me that this is about a condemnation of anti-Semitic remarks...This is about targeting women of color in the United States of America."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Kendra wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:14 pm
🚨 NEWS 🚨 Governor
@SarahHuckabee
of Arkansas will deliver the Republican Address to the Nation after the State of the Union next Tuesday, February 7.
I still don't understand why the opposition party gets to air a prime-time rebuttal to the SOTU. The Constitution requires the President to advise congress "from time to time" on the state of the union. It does not require a response.

Nowhere else on TV is the equal-time doctrine still in effect. Why should it be here?

I say this as a liberal democrat and I don't think that the dems should be afforded the priviledge of an immediate reply to a republican president's SOTU, either.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

noblepa wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:46 pm
I still don't understand why the opposition party gets to air a prime-time rebuttal to the SOTU. The Constitution requires the President to advise congress "from time to time" on the state of the union. It does not require a response.

Nowhere else on TV is the equal-time doctrine still in effect. Why should it be here?
The opposition party is going to give the speech no matter what and the television networks know it will receive views, so that's what happens. Basic free enterprise.
raison de arizona

noblepa wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:46 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:14 pm https://twitter.com/SpeakerMcCarthy/sta ... 2400131073
🚨 NEWS 🚨 Governor
@SarahHuckabee

I say this as a liberal democrat and I don't think that the dems should be afforded the priviledge of an immediate reply to a republican president's SOTU, either.
Don't forget that this immediate rebuttal is what launched Obama onto his Presidential arc. FWIW.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:00 pm Don't forget that this immediate rebuttal is what launched Obama onto his Presidential arc. FWIW.

Are you saying that Ms. Sanders will be our next president? (shudder)

Return to “Current Politics”