💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Volkonski
Verified:

💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, "My Kevin" McCarthy House Speaker /Clowns

Post by Volkonski »

MTG Literally Curses Mike Johnson’s Speakership After Ukraine Vote

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marjorie- ... raine-vote
After Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) presided over the passage of a sweeping Ukraine aid package on Saturday, there was little left for Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) to do but literally curse his speakership on live television.

Speaking to CNN outside the Capitol following an overwhelming bipartisan vote in favor of Ukraine aid, Greene fumed over Johnson’s alleged offenses, culminating in the Ukraine vote, which she called “this bullshit in here on the House floor.”

Over half the House GOP conference voted against the package, representing the most Trump-aligned members.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, "My Kevin" McCarthy House Speaker /Clowns

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:06 pm [b]MTG Literally Curses Mike Johnson’s Speakership After Ukraine Vote[/b]

After Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) presided over the passage of a sweeping Ukraine aid package on Saturday, there was little left for Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) to do but literally curse his speakership on live television.

Speaking to CNN outside the Capitol following an overwhelming bipartisan vote in favor of Ukraine aid, Greene fumed over Johnson’s alleged offenses, culminating in the Ukraine vote, which she called “this bullshit in here on the House floor.”

Over half the House GOP conference voted against the package, representing the most Trump-aligned members.
Okay; I read the report; I listened to MTG spew her crap. Nowhere did I read or here her say that she cursed Mike Johnson. If anyone can find a reference to the curse, please let me know.

In the meantime, I ask: What the fuck find of reporting is this, Daily Beast???? Do we have to go over "literally" AGAIN? I mean, that's not even an off-idiom usage; it's just wrong. She didn't say it.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

If she used "bad Language" that is called "cursing" by some people.

Which is the fig leaf Daily Beast is using to justify that shit headline. Sorry for cursing at those fucks.
Hic sunt dracones
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:25 pm
Volkonski wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:06 pm [b]MTG Literally Curses Mike Johnson’s Speakership After Ukraine Vote[/b]

Okay; I read the report; I listened to MTG spew her crap. Nowhere did I read or here her say that she cursed Mike Johnson. If anyone can find a reference to the curse, please let me know.

In the meantime, I ask: What the fuck find of reporting is this, Daily Beast???? Do we have to go over "literally" AGAIN? I mean, that's not even an off-idiom usage; it's just wrong. She didn't say it.
2:17 in the video.
https://x.com/mkraju/status/1781767491301106076
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks, Sugar! :bighug: But if that's it, the headline i's still an error and misleading.

Saying Johnson was responsible for the "bull shit" on the House floor is not "literally cursing his speakership". For several reasons: swearing is not the same as cursing, although I agree that is pedantic. More to the point, cursing Johnson is not the same as cursing at Johnson. She was not even "literally swearing at" Johnson's speakership. She used bad language when condemning Johnson's work product. That's it.

To curse someone is to wish them ill, as in "I curse your speakership; you'll never accomplish anything and will be booted in disgrace." She did not do that. The addition of "literally" eliminates any other interpretation.

There's probably a transitive/intransitive element here (cursing vs cursing at), but I can never remember which is the one that takes the direct object.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I agree with you Portia.

But I'm wondering... should we have a standalone "Grammar NAZI" thread?
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

keith wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:35 pm I agree with you Portia.

But I'm wondering... should we have a standalone "Grammar NAZI" thread?
Nah -- It came up in context here.

I would have been that in the media thread if I'd been the OP. Reacting to media failings is my guilty pleasure. Okay, not so guilty.

ETA: I just realized this is my second quibble of the day: I also called out the Guardian for a misleading headline. I admit I see all headline writers as 23 year old ignoramuses.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

such wonderful words coming out of the mouth of a "christian"

my mama would have beat my behind and washed my mouth out with soap after slapping it

good Baptist woman that she was
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Lifebouy or Lux?
Largo al factotum.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

lava.jpg
lava.jpg (24.85 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Or this?
tek

Post by tek »

zekeb wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 pmLifebouy or Lux?
Foe me, it DEFINITELY would have been Octagon.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:27 pm such wonderful words coming out of the mouth of a "christian"

my mama would have beat my behind and washed my mouth out with soap after slapping it

good Baptist woman that she was
I listened to her presenting her fatuous amendment to the Ukraine bill today (reduce all numbers to zero). Hrt mix of lies, ignorance and Russian talking points was not as noteworthy as her delivery, which was loud, grating and sneering. Nails on blackboard. She seems committed to becoming a full-on pariah. Gosar, Gaetz, one or two others occasionally. But otherwise loathed by her peers.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

tek wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:49 pm
zekeb wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 pmLifebouy or Lux?
Foe me, it DEFINITELY would have been Octagon.
I dunno, challenging someone to an MMA fight for swearing seems a bit much.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Post by Luke »

Either way, as the other topic says, "Democrats Win Again". :P Changed this topic title because it's true:
41 mins ago - Politics & Policy
Hakeem Jeffries emerges as Congress' shadow speaker
Andrew Solender

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) found himself in an unusual position for a minority leader last week: It was he, not the House speaker, who had the ultimate power to decide whether legislation came to the floor.

Why it matters: Democrats got everything they wanted – a $95 billion foreign aid bill, the credit for passing it, and adversaries more divided than ever. In their telling, that total victory wasn't a sure thing.

Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), a master legislative tactician, heaped praise on her successor: "He is fabulous. We're so proud of him."
One senior House Democrat told Axios: "It easily could have fallen apart ... He played the cards the way you'd want to play them."
"I would not want to play blackjack against him," the lawmaker added.

What happened: Democrats did something virtually unheard of in modern politics on Thursday, crossing the aisle on the House Rules Committee to save the foreign aid package. They did it again the next day on the House floor. This was all Jeffries' call, as was Democrats' decision to wait until it was clear House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) didn't have the votes on his own before saving the package on the floor. "We wouldn't be voting on this right now if it weren't for Hakeem ... He's the one who created the system that Johnson could follow and get this done," said a House Democrat.

Zoom in: Jeffries' message to his members leading up to the foreign aid fight was to stay unified behind him and not commit themselves to positions on saving Johnson that might box the party in.

In other words: To give him all the power and maneuverability that Johnson lacks. The senior House Democrat told Axios: "If he hadn't taken the approach he had, he could have had members going rogue." "He gave us so many options," said Pelosi.

Between the lines: Democratic leadership had already been forging the unified front that would be Jeffries' strongest weapon for weeks with a push to get as many signatures as possible on their foreign aid discharge petition. Jeffries himself sat down with centrist Rep. Jared Golden (D-Maine), a skeptic of single-party discharge petitions, to get him to sign. It worked.

What they're saying: House Democrats told Axios the foreign aid fight revealed a deftness in Jeffries – both in public and in closed-door negotiations – that makes him well suited for the speakership.

Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) told Axios: "Hakeem has been very graceful. He's not purposefully thrown Johnson under the bus ... He's not been triumphant at all, he realizes how bad that would be for Mike Johnson."
"It's a lesson well learned from previous speakers: He finessed it well when he had to," said Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.).
What to watch: Many Democrats also told Axios they don't anticipate Jeffries facing the type of revolts from his left flank that Johnson has seen from his right on the motion to vacate and procedural votes.

Part of that is his reputation as a coalition builder: "He knows how to engage, uplift and balance all members of his party," said Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.), a member of the progressive "Squad." "Anybody that wants a phone call or a meeting, we've had it," said one Democrat. The lawmaker predicted the party will change a rule allowing any member to force a vote on ousting the speaker, but said such a vote "would never happen in our caucus even if that rule existed ... he works very closely with [his left flank]."

The bottom line: Johnson "should just pack up and resign and hand the gavel over to Leader Jeffries," said Rep. Greg Casar (D-Texas), a leading Progressive Caucus member. "He seems to be able to manage this process in a much more democratic way – in a way that gets bills to the floor."
https://www.axios.com/2024/04/21/hakeem ... el-ukraine

I think it's ridiculous to be called a HERO for doing your job, but MAGA Mike deserves some credit for accepting reality. Here's a story about how he converted:

Behind the Curtain: Speaker Johnson's historic road-to-Kyiv conversion
https://www.axios.com/2024/04/21/behind ... conversion
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bob

Post by bob »

One senior House Democrat told Axios: "It easily could have fallen apart ... He played the cards the way you'd want to play them."
While I appreciate the sentiment, the metaphor doesn't hunt. (Blackjack players compete against the house, which follows automatic rules.)
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Perhaps poker is the game he is hunting for?

Republicans against Trump @RpsAgainstTrump wrote: GOP Rep. Derrick Van Orden: “Matt Gaetz is a bully. Chip Roy is a bully. Bob Good's a bully. And the only way to stop a bully is to push back hard."

House Republicans are in total disarray.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

bob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:18 pm
While I appreciate the sentiment, the metaphor doesn't hunt. (Blackjack players compete against the house, which follows automatic rules.)
Poker should have been the correct game....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I still say all the Republicans that are probably going to just throw in the towel should do it right away. That would be the best "fuck you" to the Marjorie Taylor Green faction of the Republican Party. Just turn the House over to the Democrats and sit back and laugh while MTG freaks herself into a heart attack. That would be so sweet to see. There has GOT to be a handful of Republicans that have had enough and would love to stick it the so-called Freedom Caucus and the other screaming meemies.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

RVInit wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:35 pm I still say all the Republicans that are probably going to just throw in the towel should do it right away. That would be the best "fuck you" to the Marjorie Taylor Green faction of the Republican Party. Just turn the House over to the Democrats and sit back and laugh while MTG freaks herself into a heart attack. That would be so sweet to see. There has GOT to be a handful of Republicans that have had enough and would love to stick it the so-called Freedom CaucusFARTers and the other screaming meemies.
Fixed it for you
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Flatpoint High wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:49 pm
RVInit wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:35 pm I still say all the Republicans that are probably going to just throw in the towel should do it right away. That would be the best "fuck you" to the Marjorie Taylor Green faction of the Republican Party. Just turn the House over to the Democrats and sit back and laugh while MTG freaks herself into a heart attack. That would be so sweet to see. There has GOT to be a handful of Republicans that have had enough and would love to stick it the so-called Freedom CaucusFARTers and the other screaming meemies.
Fixed it for you
:lol: :thumbsup:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

House speaker Mike Johnson calls on Columbia University president to resign

Guardian News
24 Apr 2024

US House speaker Mike Johnson called on the president of Columbia University, Minouche Shafik, to resign for failing to crack down on antiwar protests in support of Palestine on campus. Johnson was speaking at Columbia University where he said: 'I'm here today joining my colleagues and calling on President [Minouche] Shafik to resign if she cannot immediately bring order to this chaos.'

Protests have been taking place at several US universities, where some students have set up tents. Police have responded to some of the demonstrations with force, detaining students and dismantling their camps

Mike Johnson calls on Columbia president to resign; students arrested at campus protests in California, Ohio and Texas – live

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The video is private, but I hope it was one of the students chanting, "Mike you suck!" because I liked that part.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/2 ... t-00154658
TALLAHASSEE, Florida — Rep. Bill Posey (R-Fla.) abruptly announced on Friday that he will not seek reelection, after initially planning to run for another term.

Posey’s announcement — if made earlier — could have easily attracted a spirited Republican primary, with politicians from the state’s Space Coast region already eyeing the seat once Posey retired. Florida’s 8th congressional district is a solid Republican seat.

Instead the 76-year-old incumbent’s announcement came shortly after qualifying officially ended and after his hand-picked replacement — former state Senate President Mike Haridopolos — had already quietly jumped into the race.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 pm https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/2 ... t-00154658
TALLAHASSEE, Florida — Rep. Bill Posey (R-Fla.) abruptly announced on Friday that he will not seek reelection, after initially planning to run for another term.

Posey’s announcement — if made earlier — could have easily attracted a spirited Republican primary, with politicians from the state’s Space Coast region already eyeing the seat once Posey retired. Florida’s 8th congressional district is a solid Republican seat.

Instead the 76-year-old incumbent’s announcement came shortly after qualifying officially ended and after his hand-picked replacement — former state Senate President Mike Haridopolos — had already quietly jumped into the race.
1. Will Loomer be screaming that Posey dropped out late so she would not be able to qualify for that district?

2. Did he drop out late to keep potential Dems who might be be a possible challenge to a non-incumbent out of the race? While a safe seat anyway, if the Dems had realized he was not in it, they might have recruited a strong candidate.

My opinion if he did point 2. Well, that's politics. If he did point 1. I will probably agree with him for the first time ever.
101010 :towel:

Return to “Current Politics”