💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Suranis

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Suranis »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:24 pm Thr Hastert Rule?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastert_Rule
The Hastert Rule, also known as the "majority of the majority" rule, is an informal governing principle used in the United States by Republican Speakers of the House of Representatives since the mid-1990s to maintain their speakerships[1] and limit the power of the minority party to bring bills up for a vote on the floor of the House.[2] Under the doctrine, the Speaker will not allow a floor vote on a bill unless a majority of the majority party supports the bill.[3]

Under House rules, the Speaker schedules floor votes on pending legislation. The Hastert Rule says that the Speaker will not schedule a floor vote on any bill that does not have majority support within their party—even if the majority of the members of the House would vote to pass it. The rule keeps the minority party from passing bills with the assistance of a minority of majority party members. In the House, 218 votes are needed to pass a bill; if 200 Democrats are the minority and 235 Republicans are the majority, the Hastert Rule would not allow 200 Democrats and 100 Republicans together to pass a bill, because 100 Republican votes is short of a majority of the majority party, so the Speaker would not allow a vote to take place.[4]

The Hastert Rule is an informal rule and the Speaker is not bound by it; they may break it at their discretion. Speakers have at times broken the Hastert Rule and allowed votes to be scheduled on legislation that lacked majority support within the Speaker's own party. Dennis Hastert alleged the rule as being "kind of a misnomer" in that it "never really existed" as a rule.

Origins

The Hastert Rule's introduction is credited to former House Speaker Dennis Hastert; however, Newt Gingrich, who directly preceded Hastert as Speaker (1995–1999), followed the same rule.[5] The notion of the rule arose out of a debate in 2006 over whether Hastert should bring an immigration reform bill to the House floor after it had been passed by the Senate. “It was pretty obvious at that point that it didn’t have the votes to move it out, especially in the Judiciary Committee,” he said later. “It was pretty well stacked with people who weren’t willing to move.”[6]
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:24 pm
Suranis wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:48 pm So, Kevin. You saying you cant muster Five Republican votes to pass a clean debt ceiling raise?

Oh right. The Hastert rule. It's amazing how dedicated you are to the rule named after a past Republican speaker, who plead guilty to being a Child Molester.
Thr Hastert Rule?
The rule that the majority of Republicans have to support a bill to bring it to the floor, regardless of whether there is a bipartisan majority that would pass it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:24 pm Thr Hastert Rule?
The Hastert "Rule" is the Republican belief that no vote should happen unless a majority of the Republican House conference supports it.

In other words, leadership shouldn't seek compromise with the Democrats without the conference's blessing.
Image ImageImage
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Republican Congress

Where Democracy goes to die..

Well… actually be beaten to death by the American Fascist party.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Thanks, all, for the Hastert Rule explanations!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

It's like learning about how pirates treat 'parley'. Only with 40% more piracy, based on analysis of morality.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Post by bob »

The issue here is the razor-thin majority that elected McCarthy as speaker is piling the debt-ceiling bill with all of their pony wishes. Poison pills that the Senate won't agree to.

So McCarthy can either ride-and-die with the clowns who gave him the gavel, or compromise with the Democrats to get the legislation actually passed and be rewarded with a motion to vacate.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'd bet on the former.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:37 pm I'd bet on the former.
I'm holding out for Door No. 3: a motion to vacate followed by the nomination of a more moderate Republican, who will work on a compromise bill.

:popcorn:
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

"Melt children's bones"? Reference below.
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: Kevin McCarthy certainly has a way with words
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Suranis wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:48 pm So, Kevin. You saying you cant muster Five Republican votes to pass a clean debt ceiling raise?

Oh right. The Hastert rule. It's amazing how dedicated you are to the rule named after a past Republican speaker, who plead guilty to being a Child Molester.
To be fair to Hastert, he plead guilty to structuring banking transactions to circumvent currency reporting to the IRS to bribe those he molested to keep quite. By the time it was revealed the statute of limitations had passed for the assault...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:47 pm

To be fair to Hastert, he plead guilty to structuring banking transactions to circumvent currency reporting to the IRS to bribe those he molested to keep quite. By the time it was revealed the statute of limitations had passed for the assault...
Well that just makes all the difference in the world.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

In the past few days, prominent Republicans have:

- Said adoptive mothers are not real parents.
- Mocked Mattel for releasing a Barbie with Down syndrome.
- Passed a bill to kick 1M mothers and children off the WIC nutritional assistance program and 300K kids out of child care and Head Start.

The Party of Family Values™
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I've noted here before I'm adopted. It was never a shameful secret, my older brother and I both knew. I had several friends urging me to find my biological mother but I wasn't interested. I hit the parent lottery and I knew it.

Stop me if you've heard this: My parents said I was a pretty well behaved little kid but the one time they had to punish me had to do with my little brother who was their biological (change of life) baby. He was acting the way little brothers tend to act and I said to him, "Mom and dad chose me, they got stuck with you." *

As for step-parents, I raised D's daughter from the age of 7. Her mother died of cancer when she was 5. Not saying I was the best stepmom, but she was the first kid in her family's generation to not only graduate HS, she graduated with a college scholarship. Neither her mother, maternal aunts or uncle graduated HS either. B wasn't too fond of me in HS. Daddy wanted to be her best friend so I had the role of evil stepmother.

Nailed it. But we're very close now.

Also, fuck you, MTG.

*That story killed at mom's funeral.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I have two adopted children, and I am their real father. :towel:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Maybe somewhat OT, but I don't know where else to put it :bag:

ACOSTA: People listen to what you said & say it's your job to fix gun violence. Why not?

REP. BURCHETT: I was probably speaking more from a Christian perspective. We need revival in this country

ACOSTA: There's Christianity in other countries & they don't have mass shootings
@davidrlurie
Knoxville was.radically gerrymandered to force this embarrassment on the citizens of that city.

@davidrlurie
McCarthy's debt limit extortion bill was too liberal for this guy. He voted against it. If the bill called for arming all schoolteachers with ARs, that might have changed his vote.

Great question by Acosta. In response to the Congressman who said more adherence to Christianity would bring down rates of shootings, the US actually has some of the highest rates of both Christian belief AND mass shootings in the world. So why hasn't that worked yet?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Atheism for the win!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

I'm sure it's somethign to do with the fact that there's too many believers in the Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 and not enough in the Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879. I mean, it Emo Philips called it years ago, right?

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:06 am I'm sure it's somethign to do with the fact that there's too many believers in the Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 and not enough in the Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879. I mean, it Emo Philips called it years ago, right?
Die, heathen!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I don't see the connection between Christianity and guns. But this isn't Christianity as I know it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Christianists.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Or, to be more clear in the division, Xtianists.

There is a clear distinction in my mind between Christians like Northland and suranis, and these others. It’s no longer a religion, whatever they might protest, it’s a political block.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Works for me.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I was raised Episcopalian. I had three different Catholic girlfriends in long-term relationships. I've known a ton of adult, responsible, not-insane Christians. I still have a lot of respect for the religion itself.

But I also drive up to see my pa quite often, which means I have to drive past the Church on Fire.
I don't think those are my kind of Christians. :confuzzled:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
Foggy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:48 am I was raised Episcopalian. I had three different Catholic girlfriends in long-term relationships. I've known a ton of adult, responsible, not-insane Christians. I still have a lot of respect for the religion itself.

But I also drive up to see my pa quite often, which means I have to drive past the Church on Fire.
I don't think those are my kind of Christians. :confuzzled:
My favorite is "Fullers Temple Fire Baptized Holiness Church of God of The Americas" in the Fort Lauderdale area.

Return to “Current Politics”