Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - "My Kevin" McCarthy "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, House Speaker /Clowns

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Suranis

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Suranis »

McCarthy’s reason for sharing the video with Tucker:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64670742
US House of Representatives Speaker Kevin McCarthy has defended giving thousands of hours of Capitol riot footage to a Fox News host.

Asked about his decision to share the video trove with Tucker Carlson, Mr McCarthy said in a newspaper interview: "I promised."

He said he planned to make the footage more widely available in the future.
Well there you go. Promises to a Fox Opinioner is more important than any other consideration
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

“…in order to win my job. I can’t back down now or they’ll write a sternly worded letter and I’ll have to step down. Do you really want MTG to be Speaker?”
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Because we all know how honorable McCarthy is.
:roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Unbelievable. Jim Jordan, Marjorie Taylor Green, & Lauren Boebert sent a letter to Pete Buttigieg thinking that NTSB is part of the Department of Transportation when it’s actually an independent agency. Complete idiots & an utter circus. They have nothing on Pete Buttigieg.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Ah, here's the letter. H/T to https:// twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1629259089384558593
Attachments
FpxKcSOXoAArgNc.jpg
FpxKcSOXoAArgNc.jpg (190.26 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Spat Erupts On Capitol Hill After Republican Congressman Questions ‘Loyalty’ of Chinese-American Colleague on Fox News

By Alex Griffing
Feb 24th, 2023, 4:24 pm

Top House Democrats slammed Rep. Lance Gooden (R-TX) on Friday over the Republican’s comments on Fox News earlier in the week in which he said he questions Rep. Judy Chu’s (D-CA) “loyalty or competence.”

“I’m really disappointed and shocked that someone like Judy Chu would have a security clearance and be entitled to confidential intelligence briefings until this is figured out,” said Gooden.

Gooden made the remarks in response to host Jesse Watters asking if he believed “Congresswoman Chu should be looked into?”

Watters asked the question in a segment slamming President Joe Biden for nominating Dominic Ng to lead U.S. trade interests in Asia. The Daily Caller published an article alleging Ng is linked to front organizations for Chinese intelligence agencies, which subsequently led to a small group of GOP House members to call for an FBI investigation into Ng.

Chu, the country’s first Chinese-American congresswoman and chair of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, hit back at those Republicans and defended Ng – claiming the allegations against him were nothing but right-wing “profiling.”

After Gooden’s Fox News appearance on Wednesday, Chu released a statement saying the congressman’s “comments on Fox News questioning my loyalty to the USA is absolutely outrageous.”

“It is based on false information spread by an extreme, right-wing website. Furthermore, it is racist. I very much doubt that he would be spreading these lies were I not of Chinese American descent,” Chu concluded.

House Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) also released a statement Thursday lambasting Gooden. “Lance Gooden’s slanderous accusation of disloyalty against Rep. Chu is dangerous, unconscionable and xenophobic,” wrote Jeffries.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/spat-erup ... -fox-news/
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

We're done as a country.

Oh, it'll wander along on it's own momentum but the wandering is on downward curve, driven by shitty media reporting and fascists and Lost Causers that in reality need shot to cull them out of decent society.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:35 pm We're done as a country.

Oh, it'll wander along on it's own momentum but the wandering is on downward curve, driven by shitty media reporting and fascists and Lost Causers that in reality need shot to cull them out of decent society.
Best comment on this I've heard was *just an hour ago*, from a Taxi driver here in London -- he was taking me from Heathrow back to my flat after an 8-day vacation in Barcelona -- over the course of a conversation about political madness the world over. I mentioned the whole Lost Cause mindset and he jumped on it thusly: "I don't understand why those arseholes in your country wave Confederate or Nazi flags. Both of those armies *lost* and it pretty much tells you they are not only losers but racist losers. If they want to make the argument that it's about independence and not racism, at least fly, oh, I don't know, the old Republic of Texas flag, and make the argument that it was an independent country once before."

From the mouths of London cabbies, really...
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thank you, cabbie. Ima stealing that!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:46 am
Off Topic
John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:35 pm We're done as a country.

Best comment on this I've heard was *just an hour ago*, from a Taxi driver here in London -- he was taking me from Heathrow back to my flat after an 8-day vacation in Barcelona -- over the course of a conversation about political madness the world over. I mentioned the whole Lost Cause mindset and he jumped on it thusly: "I don't understand why those arseholes in your country wave Confederate or Nazi flags. Both of those armies *lost* and it pretty much tells you they are not only losers but racist losers. If they want to make the argument that it's about independence and not racism, at least fly, oh, I don't know, the old Republic of Texas flag, and make the argument that it was an independent country once before."

From the mouths of London cabbies, really...
Off Topic
A London Black Cab is an interdimensional anomaly:
On the outside they are the size of a Ford Escape
On the inside they are the size of a 3 bedroom walkup. I think you can fit an entire Football Team in the back of a black cab.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:56 am Thank you, cabbie. Ima stealing that!
It's not every day that a London cabbie treats me to a 20 minute discussion on the difference between morality and ethics with regards to the behavior of the Royal Family. But it was delightful. I dropped 100 quid on what would have been an 80 quid fare and I do not regret leaving that large a tip for the 30 minute ride, dude totally earned it.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:47 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:56 am Thank you, cabbie. Ima stealing that!
It's not every day that a London cabbie treats me to a 20 minute discussion on the difference between morality and ethics with regards to the behavior of the Royal Family. But it was delightful. I dropped 100 quid on what would have been an 80 quid fare and I do not regret leaving that large a tip for the 30 minute ride, dude totally earned it.
What would that be in guineas? Or crowns? Do they still use those forms of currency? :mrgreen:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

humblescribe wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:09 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:47 pm
What would that be in guineas? Or crowns? Do they still use those forms of currency? :mrgreen:
Guineas are for horse race prizes, not cab fares.

A guinea is 1 pound and 1 shilling. The pound goes to the owner, the shilling to the jockey.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Off Topic
They have decimal money now, 100 pence to the pound. A pound is referred to as a quid in slang.

It used to be 12 pence to a schilling, 20 schilling to a pound.
A pence, or penny was 2 half pence or 4 farthings.

Hearing English talk about prices is just cute, in a sing song way. Here, something cost "a dollar forty five", but in London, it might be "one and forty five P". A cab ride is "Eighty dollars" but "eighty quid" just sounds better.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Marjorie Taylor Greene Votes Against Mourning Victims Of Turkey-Syria Earthquakes

Lee Moran
Tue, February 28, 2023 at 1:45 PM GMT+1

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene and one fellow Republican were the only House lawmakers on Monday to vote against a resolution that mourned the almost 50,000 people killed in this month’s earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.

The resolution, which praised “the work of humanitarian aid and rescue workers on the ground” and condemned “efforts by the Assad regime of Syria to exploit the disaster to evade international pressure and accountability,” passed 412-2.

Greene (R-Ga.), and Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) opposed the measure.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marjorie-tay ... 56068.html
(original: HuffPost)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Humanity? Empathy? Sympathy?

Disgusting, and pointless.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/house-ove ... prosecuted
House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer invoked the late son of President Joe Biden on Tuesday, lamenting that Beau Biden was never prosecuted over an investigation into illegal contributions involving his father’s 2008 presidential campaign.

When he’s not busy threatening pay-TV providers for not carrying his favorite right-wing channels, or warning that Chinese spy balloons may drop “bioweapons” on the U.S., Comer has devoted much of his energy to launching an investigation into presidential son Hunter Biden’s business dealings.

During an appearance on former Fox Business host Lou Dobbs’ podcast, Comer and the election-denying MAGA acolyte bemoaned that the U.S. attorney probing Hunter Biden has yet to bring any charges.
:snippity:
At one point, Comer seemingly suggested that Weiss was overly sympathetic to the Biden family before bringing up Beau Biden, the former Delaware attorney general who died of a brain tumor in 2015.

“This U.S. attorney had had an opportunity to go after the Bidens years ago,” the Kentucky lawmaker huffed. “In fact, it was Beau Biden, the president’s other son, that was involved in some campaign donations from a person that got indicted, as well as Joe Biden was involved in some of these campaign donations when he was a senator, and then when he ran for president against Obama.”

Comer continued: “But nothing ever happened. So I don’t know much about this U.S. attorney other than he’s had an opportunity to investigate the Bidens before and he chose not to. We all know that he’s just been silent for a long time.”

After grumbling that Weiss didn’t go after the president’s dead son when he had the chance, the GOP congressman then fumed that “we know what’s on that laptop” while wondering why Weiss has yet to prosecute Hunter Biden.

“There’s enough to indict Hunter Biden now, there was enough to indict Hunter Biden three or four years ago with what’s on the laptop,” he exclaimed. “So for whatever reason, this U.S. attorney hasn’t produced very many results.”
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

They're trying to make the "crime family" a thing, so they need to malign as many family members as possible.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

The dead cannot defend themselves
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:35 pm We're done as a country. Oh, it'll wander along on it's own momentum but the wandering is on downward curve, driven by shitty media reporting and fascists and Lost Causers that in reality need shot to cull them out of decent society.
That's pretty much my opinion at this point. The national government no longer functions, because the majority party doesn't want it to function. They want to run the country like a one-party government, when this country doesn't work that way, and never has. They're far more concerned about issuing social demands, but can't even agree on what they want, and are still settling debts over the trivial task of selecting a Speaker of the House. There is no organizational competence to deal with problems like East Palestine; all either major party can do is issue talking points and try to blame the other, when there's plenty of blame to go around. We're basically the Golgafrinchams. To hell with it; just crash everything. This country whined so much when inflation was 8%, let's see what they do when it's 80% because the USA defaulted on debt over an artificial limit.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Then Steve Bannon wins. What, who knows.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Wild goose chase or witch hunt :?:
‘Lab leak’ report energizes Republicans’ covid probes
GOP broadens investigation into pandemic origin after new assessment, even as other agencies still lean toward ‘spillover’ explanation

By Dan Diamond
Updated February 28, 2023 at 9:51 p.m. EST|Published February 28, 2023 at 1:28 p.m. EST

Emboldened by an Energy Department analysis that concludes with “low confidence” that the coronavirus pandemic probably began with an accidental lab leak in central China, Republicans on Capitol Hill are teeing up new demands for information and broadening their planned probes of covid-19’s origins.

The classified report remains a minority view among the nine intelligence entities probing the pandemic’s origin, most of which still favor the theory that the virus naturally “spilled over” from animals to humans, probably in a Wuhan market near where the first cases of an unusual pneumonia were reported. None of the other agencies have changed their view after seeing the report, officials say, and peer-reviewed scientific papers published last year also bolster the spillover explanation.

But the Energy Department analysis, first reported Sunday by the Wall Street Journal, arrived just as GOP congressional leaders had embarked on their covid oversight agenda. They have promised multiple probes into whether Chinese officials covered up a lab accident, and targeted scientists such as Anthony S. Fauci, the recently retired U.S. health official whose agency had supported virus research in China. Republicans also cheered FBI Director Christopher A. Wray’s interview on Fox News on Tuesday — his first public comments on the matter — where he confirmed reports that his agency concluded that “a potential lab incident in Wuhan” probably sparked the pandemic.

In interviews on Monday, Republican lawmakers touted the Energy Department’s conclusion, which bolsters long-standing GOP talking points, while acknowledging they had yet to read the classified report.

“It gives us momentum to expose the true origins of covid,” said Sen. Roger Marshall (R-Kan.), who supported Senate probes into Fauci and argued in favor of the leak theory, citing the virus’s infectiousness and ability to evade human immune systems. “As a physician myself, a biochemistry major, I think that there’s just no way this virus could have come from nature. It’s just too perfect.”

The House select subcommittee probing the coronavirus response, meanwhile, sent letters to the Energy Department, State Department and FBI on Monday, seeking an array of new materials and broadening its investigation into the pandemic’s origins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... an-probes/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think the White House did not do this in a smart way. They gave several agencies a shot at finding out the cause. This was bound to get differing opinions and just confuse the issue. Those who want to believe in the lab theory will, no matter what.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

GOP Leader Now Claims He Didn’t Make Ugly Comment About Biden’s Dead Son

Rachel Olding, Justin Baragona
Fri, March 3, 2023 at 7:42 PM GMT+1

Rep. James Comer (R-KY), the new House Oversight Committee Chairman who lamented this week that President Joe Biden’s dead son was never prosecuted in a long-settled campaign financing case, has now tried to claim he said no such thing.

In an appearance on former Fox Business host Lou Dobbs’ podcast on Tuesday, Comer bemoaned that U.S. Attorney for the District of Delaware David Weiss, a Trump-era appointee, never indicted Beau Biden in a campaign financing scandal in which Biden was cleared of wrongdoing.
But when Comer was cornered by a reporter from The Independent at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday, he angrily denied making the comment at all, claiming he was simply pointing out that Weiss “had an opportunity to look into Joe Biden for campaign contributions” and that Beau was attorney general at the time.

“You need to watch the tape, that is a lie—the White House said that, that is not true,” he told The Independent.

“I just said he was attorney general during a case ... Lou Dobbs asked about the attorney, the U.S. Attorney in Delaware. And I said, all we know is ... there was one opportunity... he had an opportunity to look into Joe Biden for campaign contributions. He didn’t, [and] the person that made the contributions was sent to jail, Beau Biden was attorney general at the time, and nothing happened. I never said anything negative about Joe Biden, and I never said Joe Biden should be indicted, which is what the White House said—that’s a complete lie.”

In fact, the White House said Wednesday that Comer’s invocation of the president’s dead son was “completely inappropriate” and “ugly.”

When The Independent pointed out that Beau recused himself from any involvement in the Tigani matter, and was cleared of wrongdoing, Comer shot back, “So what’s your point?”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-leader-n ... 31983.html
(original: Daily Beast)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:24 pm
When The Independent pointed out that Beau recused himself from any involvement in the Tigani matter, and was cleared of wrongdoing, Comer shot back, “So what’s your point?”
And that's a big part of the problem, caught in a bald faced lie and it doesn't even matter.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Current Politics”