💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Danraft

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Danraft »

Ok. I’ll make my boo prediction. Thinking of this like Bridge.
- Jordan (unacceptable to Democrats, like Biggs) nominates McCarthy. In the nomination speech he DOES NOT mention investigations. He talks about actual policy issues (this is a signal, I think)
-This round of votes will NOT reach consensus. But Jordan will prove he has control over some votes.
-The third round will also fail to reach consensus because of the hard-liners (Biggs and some of Jordan’s bunch even tho he endorses McCarthy) stance of Never-Kevin.
Then, there will be a real pause. Some crazy horse-dealing and reach-arounds.
This may include Democrats offering to carry McCarthy over the line with the caveat there is not an investigation oriented House (remember that Jordan did not mention investigations). It has to be enough Democrats (in the nomination for Jeffries in the second round the Democrats said their voter would Remain unified—another Bridge-like bidding signal) to overcome the hard-liner votes in exchange for a policy oriented House.

That’s my optimistic perceived potential reality.
AndyinPA
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by AndyinPA »

I think Jeffries is going to be the top vote getter again. :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Jordan gave a rousing speech about voting for McCarthy before the first vote. My question is whether Jordan votes for Jordan or McCarthy in round two.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:06 pm Jordan gave a rousing speech about voting for McCarthy before the first vote. My question is whether Jordan votes for Jordan or McCarthy in round two.
McCarthy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Basically the same end vote. Jeffries got the same plurality. Top voter again.

Another ballot. :oopsy:
bob

Post by bob »

Final second ballot:

Jeffries: 212
McCarthy: 203
Jordan: 19
Other/present/not voting: 0
(Vacant): 1

I assume it is the same 19 not voting for McCarthy.
Image ImageImage
tek

Post by tek »

I cant see them dems bargaining to get behind a republican, McCarthy or otherwise.

I just don't think there is any trust that this person would keep his word. And I don't see the crazies on the GOP side taking a deal like that laying down
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

tek wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:20 pm I cant see them dems bargaining to get behind a republican, McCarthy or otherwise.

I just don't think there is any trust that this person would keep his word. And I don't see the crazies on the GOP side taking a deal like that laying down
Exactly this. There's no mechanism to hold Kevin to any promise except the motion to vacate. And I'm not sure if the minority party can trigger the latter.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I too believe McCarthy will pull it off, after having been taught a lesson [/close bunny ears]. However, how much fun would it be to watch video of him having to move out of the speakers office?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Hakeem Jeffries is SIX votes away from winning. Remember how the dope "Joseph DeMaio" blogged over and over and over at the P&E that just a few Democrats could switch the GOP and "Save America"? It would be awesome if his plan worked... in reverse. :lol:

GOP R Rep David Joyce is going off on Scott Perry and the holdouts on CNN, saying these were the people that brought America the January 6 Insurrection. :lol: David thinks Kevin was wrong letting those 19 go on with the election denialism because now they feel empowered "in front of all those cameras".Great interview, we need to get a copy of it.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Round three. :bored:
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:14 pm Round three.
Mid-B's and Jordan already has three votes. Likely another no-decision.
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Is that a qualified statement by Swalwell? No Democrat is going to help Kevin McCarthy today.

Third vote: already, loser loses again.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

hahahahaha McCarthy already lost the 3rd Vote. With a new defector!
Melanie Zanona @MZanona 3m
And on the third vote, McCarthy gets a new defector: @ByronDonalds.
Fox News coverage is hilarious (free link above in Members Only). Chad Pergram is even PRAISING Nancy Pelosi, "Like her or not, she always kept her Members together on big votes" and Chuck Schumer, "He always kept his caucus together'. And with this as just to set their own LEADER, good luck getting anything passed (let alone the doom in the Senate with a full D majority). As the topic was headlined: "Democrats Are Going to Win Again" :P

And Charlie Kirk:
Charlie Kirk @charliekirk11
From House source: 2 very plugged-in Dem leadership aides say they are already talking about “coalition leadership” to divide the House evenly between Republicans and Democrats.
4:12 PM · Jan 3, 2023

Sentinus Enterprises @SentinusPrime3m
Replying to @charliekirk11
Who didn't see this coming?? GOP loosing when victory was all but assured yet again.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Why the hell would anyone talk to Charlie Kirk of all people. LOL :roll:
Hic sunt dracones
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:22 pm hahahahaha McCarthy already lost the 3rd Vote. With a new defector!
Melanie Zanona @MZanona 3m
And on the third vote, McCarthy gets a new defector: @ByronDonalds.
Fox News coverage is hilarious (free link above in Members Only). Chad Pergram is even PRAISING Nancy Pelosi, "Like her or not, she always kept her Members together on big votes" and Chuck Schumer, "He always kept his caucus together'. And with this as just to set their own LEADER, good luck getting anything passed (let alone the doom in the Senate with a full D majority). As the topic was headlined: "Democrats Are Going to Win Again" :P

And Charlie Kirk:
Charlie Kirk @charliekirk11
From House source: 2 very plugged-in Dem leadership aides say they are already talking about “coalition leadership” to divide the House evenly between Republicans and Democrats.
4:12 PM · Jan 3, 2023

Sentinus Enterprises @SentinusPrime3m
Replying to @charliekirk11
Who didn't see this coming?? GOP loosing when victory was all but assured yet again.
:banana:
Jim

Post by Jim »

No way the Pubs will want to have an evenly split house, especially on committee assignments. Dems would block their Hunter Biden investigations before they could even get going.
Luke

Post by Luke »

What does MAGA think?
Sararose 🇺🇸 @saras76 8m
The GOP is a shit show
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 @RepMTG9m
If the base only understood that 19 Republicans voting against McCarthy are playing Russian roulette with our hard earned Republican majority right now.
This is the worst thing that could possibly happen.
Cope from RSBN:
Julie Kelly 🇺🇸 @julie_kelly2 44m
Republican voters voted for Republicans to put up a fight, not to install Kevin McCarthy. Even if this fails, it shows spine, passion, and sense of risk that’s sorely lacking among Republicans in Washington.

George Santos sits alone.

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Santos carries around with him all the people he needs to talk to…?
bob

Post by bob »

Jordan now has 20 votes; looks like Donalds (R-FL) switched over. (On the first round, Roy (R-TX) voted for Donalds.)
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

So the Tweet above that Orly posted, with Santos all alone with no one to talk to?

Click on the Tweet.

Scroll down to the first replay.

Turn the sound on.

Click play.

:faint:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

The 19 or 20 Nevins are not breaking. Neither is the solid 212 Dem caucus. Hard to predict what comes next.

Return to “Current Politics”