💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bob

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by bob »

Current tally:

Jeffries: 212
McCarthy: 203
Biggs: 10
Jordan: 6
Donalds: 1
"Present"/other/not voting: 2
(Vacant seat): 1
Edit: To add Jordan's votes
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by SuzieC »

I think 6 voted for Jordan.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Just an FYI -

bob

Post by bob »

"For completeness," McCarthy in 2021 received 209 votes.
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So.... uh... Red Wave?
Hic sunt dracones
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Neither Jordan or Biggs hold sufficient for a productive alliance with McCarthy.
Gaetz and Boebert splitting their vote is suspicious.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

8% of the caucus thinks it has the right to control the caucus and the entire Congress. It shows how they view democracy.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:13 pm 8% of the caucus thinks it has the right to control the caucus and the entire Congress. It shows how they view democracy.
:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The problem with not talking about personalities is that this is all so personal. Charlie Dent, former Republican congressman:
"What can he give these folks that he hasn't already tried to give them? I don't think there's anything he can give them. It will never be enough. It seems so personal. They don't — they just don't want him so I don't think there's anything he can do. No concession he can make. There's no more appeasement that he can do to win some of these folks over."
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... c9799abd54
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I wonder what amount of horse-trading it would take for a moderate Republican and some buddies to team up with Democrats ("Hey Dems, elect me Speaker and you'll get these concessions...")
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Yeah, but, the Dems know Repubs lie.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Matt Gaetz is nominating Jim Jordan.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Sex partners?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Yes … so Gaetz is switching sides… to give Jordon the power to broker.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Not only is Gaetz supporting Gym Jordan, he's tearing Kevin McCarthy apart. He said Kevin "sold pieces of himself" to get votes and "maybe the right person is someone who doesn't want it". :lol: This is delicious. Even Fox News is covering it live Bret Baier is referring to the 1856 Speaker vote and saying how GOP voters are unhappy that after voting for Republicans, they can't even get their "house in order". Bret also points out how horrible it looks that Hakeem Jeffries is getting more votes "in a Congress that just became a GOP majority". What a disaster for Kevin and the GOP.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer

I'm concerned about Scalise getting the position.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

This all reminds me of the Tea Party over a decade ago. :doh:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Biggs votes switching to Jordan. Already enough to deny speakership to McCarthy on 2d ballot. What a shitshow.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Putin's (and probably Saudi's as well) goal of creating dissension to weaken American resolve plays out again.
101010 :towel:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Brian Kilmeade on Fox News: "This is a great day for the Democrats" :lol:

MeidasTouch @MeidasTouch 4m

Brutal. Kevin McCarthy just LOST the SECOND VOTE for Speaker of the House.

He once again does not have the votes.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer

:popcorn: :popcorn:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

This is like watching the sausage being made behind the scenes without having to watch the sausage being made. :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”