Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Texas Big Freeze Aftermath

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Texas Big Freeze Aftermath

Post by northland10 »

I have done indoor drying a few because my drying decided to go out for a beer (though I realized later that a good kick resolved the issue). I also have done indoor drying for a linen shirt (complete with iron) but it does not help. This is why I avoid buying linen shirts
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The beauty and ease of linen is that it’s meant to be wrinkled. You can’t be accused of being slovenly in linen. :biggrin:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:49 pm The beauty and ease of linen is that it’s meant to be wrinkled. You can’t be accused of being slovenly in linen. :biggrin:
I believe with linen, you're legally required to call it 'relaxed' rather than 'wrinkled'. Like being 'eccentric' instead of 'weird' when you're rich.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Yeah, I'm eccentric, absolutely love wearing linen far more than a straight guy should and more relaxed than His High Judgmental Supremacy, Judiciary Pag, L.I.V.R. (the Learned, Impartial, and Very Relaxed).
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I adore everything about linen. Wearing it, sewing with it, the fact it is relaxed, it's cool in the summer too.
If you absolutely MUST iron your linen, a mister bottle of cheap vodka is the way to go.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:39 am I adore everything about linen. Wearing it, sewing with it, the fact it is relaxed, it's cool in the summer too.
If you absolutely MUST iron your linen, a mister bottle of cheap vodka is the way to go.
Wait, is the vodka for you or the clothing when you are trying to eliminate the wrinkles? I have a few linen shirts but I don't personally deal with them anymore. They go to the cleaner and come back nicely pressed on hangers.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

The more vodka, the less you notice it's wrinkled. It's sort of like the relationship between bourbon/rum/gin/wine/beer and organ playing. The more you have, the better your playing gets, as far you know.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:44 am The more vodka, the less you notice it's wrinkled. It's sort of like the relationship between bourbon/rum/gin/wine/beer and organ playing. The more you have, the better your playing gets, as far you know.
It's the foundation of Karaoke Night.

See also: Dance Floor.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Off Topic
Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:17 am It's the foundation of Karaoke Night.

See also: Dance Floor.
My choir once insisted on taking me out for a beer after rehearsal for my birthday. We went to the bar/restaurant nearby the church. It was Karaoke Night.

My choir honors their director by torturing him. It triggered memories of sitting through endless school musical auditions, and not in a good way (save for that one girl who was really good).
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:39 am I adore everything about linen. Wearing it, sewing with it, the fact it is relaxed, it's cool in the summer too.
My planned reward for hitting the 200 lb mark (I still have a bit to go) is some drawstring-waist linen pants from Cubavera. I will have earned them by that point.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

More than once in the last few weeks ERCOT has had to beg Texans to reduce their power usage due to unseasonably high temperatures and power plant outages.

This past Friday 9 generating plants were down.

Good time to be on the North Fork. When actual summer comes to Texas things could be bad.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

But if your 18 year old neighbor with anger issues needs to buy a truckload of guns and ammo, Governor Roller Nazi and the Legislature are gonna make sure he doesn't need to show an ID to get them.

If Democrats propose a law that the clerk should frown if the kid asks "Is this ammo good for killing toddlers?", Republicans would piss themselves running for a TV camera to scream about the tyranny that would be.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Just in time to blame Abbott in the run up to the election.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: maybe convert to coal :?: :twisted:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:09 pm

Just in time to blame Abbott in the run up to the election.
"... and this should worry Biden and Democrats because..."

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

xpost

Nobody cares about blatant lies in the land of alternative facts anymore.
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1 wrote: Texas has its own electrical grid, so either the senator is lying — knowingly — or he has no idea how the state he represents actually runs.
Senator Ted Cruz @SenTedCruz wrote: The impact of President Biden being beholden to the Green New Deal radicals in his party has electricity costs through the roof in Texas.

https://dallasnews.com/business/energy/ ... -kicks-in/
AKA electricity problems in Texas, here's why that's a problem for Biden...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Hey Ted, you know where electricity costs ain't through the roof?

My house, bitch.

You know where gas prices aren't through the roof, either?

My house, again!

northland10

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:58 pm AKA electricity problems in Texas, here's why that's a problem for Biden...
A reply to that tweet wanted to blame Biden because he made the oil prices go up and that is why Texas power cost has gone up. Somebody* was rude enough to copy a graph from Ercot that shows the percentage of the power generated by source. Oil was relegated to the other that made up 0.1%. As one would expect, the sources are natural gas 47.3%, coal 20.3%, leftist commie wind 20%, nuclear 10.8%, Marxist solar 1.1%, etc.

* I was not the rude somebody. I was getting ready to reply with the same chart but somebody beat me to it. You have to wake up early in the morning to be the rude one on Twitter.
raison de arizona

Senior editor of Texas Monthly. Dunno what the latest active shooter situation is. They all blend together.
Christopher Hooks @cd_hooks wrote: Had to get my car towed. Driver told me that his 26-year-long wife, who he’d known since high school, died in the cold during the 2021 winter blackout. Im never going to stop being angry about that week, and the lack of accountability that followed

also we had to stop at intersection to make way for a SWAT convoy on its way to an active shooter situation. things are going great here!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jim

Post by Jim »

So, what did Texas do to prepare for this summer?
raison de arizona

Jim wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:49 pm So, what did Texas do to prepare for this summer?
Tots and pears? Dunno what they did, but they claim it'll be fine.
ERCOT says Texas power grid prepared for summer despite recent call to cut use

With an unseasonably hot May giving the state’s strained power grid about all it can handle, what's going to happen when demand for electricity hits anticipated record levels amid even hotter temperatures this summer?

According to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, the state agency charged with operating the grid, it should be fine.

ERCOT said this week that generation capacity is expected to be sufficient to serve peak summer demand "under normal system conditions" and most of the scenarios it has modeled for moderately worse to extreme weather and grid conditions.

But it remains to be seen if Texans will find the agency's annual summer assessment of the grid reassuring — coming on the heels of a weekend that many might have spent wondering if their lights would stay on.
:snippity:
https://www.statesman.com/story/busines ... 805797002/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

My impression is that Texas didn't do much to prepare for the summer heat. Abbott doesn't want his rich uitility plant owning supporters to have to spend money improving reliability.

Return to “Current Politics”