Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

U.S. v. Governor Doug Ducey

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://apnews.com/article/politics-mex ... 22b2dca565
US sues Arizona over shipping containers on Mexico border

The U.S. government sued Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey and the state Wednesday over the placement of shipping containers as a barrier on the border with Mexico, saying it is trespassing on federal lands.

The complaint filed in U.S. District Court comes three weeks before the Republican governor steps aside for Democratic Gov.-elect Katie Hobbs, who has said she opposes the construction.

Ducey told U.S. officials earlier this week that Arizona is ready to help remove the containers, which he says were placed as a temporary barrier. But he wants the U.S. government to say when it will fill any remaining gaps in the permanent border wall as it announced it would a year ago.

The U.S. “owes it to Arizonans and all Americans to release a timeline,” he wrote in a Tuesday letter, responding to news of the pending federal complaint.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/arizo ... smsnnews11
Arizona to remove shipping container wall from Mexico border

Arizona will take down a makeshift wall made of shipping containers at the Mexico border, settling a lawsuit and political tussle with the U.S. government over trespassing on federal lands.

The Biden administration and the Republican governor entered into an agreement that Arizona will cease installing the containers in the Coronado National Forest — the only national forest along the border — according to court documents filed Wednesday [December 21] in U.S. District Court in Phoenix.

The agreement also calls for Arizona to remove the containers that were already installed in the remote San Rafael Valley, in southeastern Cochise County, and in the Yuma area where the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation has an easement on the Cocopah Indian Tribe’s reservation. All this must be done by Jan. 4 without damaging any natural resources. State agencies will have to consult with U.S. Forest Service representatives.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Somebody(s) is going to be raking in the OT bucks.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Word on the street is that they are going to repurpose the containers as homeless shelters.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Kudos to the activists who prevented further work while the federal government finally filed the damn lawsuit! :clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:36 pm Word on the street is that they are going to repurpose the containers as homeless shelters.
Thats a good thing if done right. But you need some clever archetects to do it right. And you cant just stick them out in the desert a million miles from needed services and security.

I was going to suggest sending them to Ukraine as emergency shelters.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:45 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:36 pm Word on the street is that they are going to repurpose the containers as homeless shelters.
Thats a good thing if done right. But you need some clever archetects to do it right. And you cant just stick them out in the desert a million miles from needed services and security.

I was going to suggest sending them to Ukraine as emergency shelters.
ETA: are these containers the missing link in the supply chain woes?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Look, I'm not saying I'm a prophet or anything ....

viewtopic.php?p=159103&sid=b349ccc15b40 ... 16#p159103
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
tek

Post by tek »

keith wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:46 pm ETA: are these containers the missing link in the supply chain woes?
For some reason my brain is telling me those are containers heading for scrap, but I can't find a link.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

There's actually a lot of history around shipping containers. Played a rôle in the Vietnam War, iirc.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Currently, there are 17 million shipping containers across the globe. Of those 17 million containers, however, only six million are actually being used for transport or any other practical usage. That means approximately 11 million shipping containers are unused and are just sitting stagnant all over the place.

in http://integratedequipmentsales.com/don ... go-unused/
re highlighted part: in such general terms incorrect, many are repurposed (other than for border walls) to be used as storage containter in businesses and private. When they are still good quality they are watertight and can be used in harsh environments. There is also a cottage industry that converts container into living space.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

Here in Northwest Costa Rica, a cottage industry has been set up turning them into living spaces. They end up looking pretty decent.
keith

Post by keith »

After the Christchurch earthquake, they built a whole shopping center downtown out of shippi g containers. It was great and drew the highest rents for commercial property in town. It was supposed to be temporary, but I think its still there - but I havent checked in a while.
keith

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:21 pm After the Christchurch earthquake, they built a whole shopping center downtown out of shippi g containers. It was great and drew the highest rents for commercial property in town. It was supposed to be temporary, but I think its still there - but I havent checked in a while.
ETA its been closed since 2017 apparently. Time flys.

Mall closes, tenants scatter.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

keith wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:21 pm After the Christchurch earthquake, they built a whole shopping center downtown out of shippi g containers. It was great and drew the highest rents for commercial property in town. It was supposed to be temporary, but I think its still there - but I havent checked in a while.
There's one in East London. I walk past it on days I head to that side of the city (a total of an hour of walking and multiple mass transit modalities from my side of the city, depending on day of week and time of day I go) since it's against the side of the Shoreditch High Street overground station and bus stop(s). And that puts it about 3-4 blocks from the 24 hour hour bagel (though for some reason it's 'beigel' here) bakeries on Brick Lane.

Mmmm....fresh hot bagels, round the clock.

But here's the shpping container shopping park. It's actually pretty hip.

https://www.boxpark.co.uk/shoreditch/
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”