George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Bob, of course, is right. I couldn't tell during the press scrum what Santos was standing on or next to. So I couldn't shout at my TV and correct the breathless reporting.

Santos sure likes to talk.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined while representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sterngard friegen wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:43 pm Bob, of course, is right. I couldn't tell during the press scrum what Santos was standing on or next to. So I couldn't shout at my TV and correct the breathless reporting.

Good.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

sterngard friegen wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:43 pm Bob, of course, is right. I couldn't tell during the press scrum what Santos was standing on or next to. So I couldn't shout at my TV and correct the breathless reporting.

Stern, did you see there's a Twitter account, "I'm a Lectern"? We follow each other. It's in your honor. :bighug:
I'm a Lectern @NotPodium
Follows you
A podium is a step, like a soapbox.
It/it.
Arlington VA Joined November 2020

https://twitter.com/NotPodium

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
Plot Twist: the Lectern account is a secret Stern-alt.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Off Topic
I’ve thought that since I
learned of it! :thumbsup:
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

orlylicious wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:02 pm

Stern, did you see there's a Twitter account, "I'm a Lectern"? We follow each other. It's in your honor. :bighug:
I'm a Lectern @NotPodium
Follows you
A podium is a step, like a soapbox.
It/it.
Arlington VA Joined November 2020
I must point out that I was giving a presentation two weeks ago in front of 200 people, the first time I'd been up in front of a large crowd since well before the pandemic. I was talking about presentation skills. Naturally, I had to talk about how to deal with the wooden box like thing that people usually stand behind.

As I walked on stage, I had one of those rare moments of thinking "What would Sterngard do?" and I made damned sure to refer to the lectern, not the podium in my talk. However, I am not yet sufficiently advanced on the grumpy geezer axis to berate them at length for using the wrong term.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Man, I just come here for the jokes, not to get lecterned.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I just got a pain in my Podium.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

busterbunker wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:21 am Man, I just come here for the jokes, not to get lecterned.
:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Suranis wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:31 am I just got a pain in my Podium.
There's a drug for that - Impodium.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:D
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘We’re living in madness’: George Santos’s constituents on federal charges
Residents of the congressman’s New York district say they’re fed up with a system that enables his behavior

Edward Helmore in Westbury, New York
Thu 11 May 2023 11.00 BST

“It’s like we’re living in madness,” said Danielle Gentile at a Brazilian restaurant in Long Island’s Westbury, one of a cluster of towns close to the eastern border of the fabulist Republican congressman George Santos’s third congressional district.

“I know politicians lie all the time, but you’ve got to at least try to keep up,” Gentile added. “But what’s he going to say? I didn’t mean to lie? He’s like the Brian Williams of politics.”

The hostess’s comments came just hours after Santos was hit with 13 criminal counts in federal court. The 34-year-old politician, flanked by just one defense lawyer, was pitted against five attorneys wielding the power of the government.

But Santos did not appear overly fazed, later boasting that he had surrendered earlier in the day to authorities so that his entrance to the imposing criminal justice complex would not happen “under the noses” of the media.

He pleaded not guilty to charges alleging financial fraud at the center of a political campaign built on a résumé touting his personal wealth and business success that began to unravel six weeks after he won office.

Outside the court, Santos appeared almost to relish the attention of a large number of media that gathered. He refused to answer questions until a podium was produced, and then called the investigation and the charges that followed a “witch-hunt”. He was asked if he would resign (he wouldn’t), and if he would campaign for re-election next year (he would).

But within the third congressional district, a typically Democratic suburban district north-east of New York City, the first-generation Brazilian American, who ran as a member of a “new generation of Republican leadership”, is received as a deeply oddball figure.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... d-new-york
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Time for remedial education for the editor who let "deeply oddball" through.

Not only horrific English usage, but a new low as a synonym for "lying liar who lies."

:oldlady:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I will fight to defend myself!
I’m humbled by the support of my colleague & fellow freedom fighter Rep. Gaetz for reminding the American people that I too have rights.

Donate to keep me fighting for you!
https://secure.winred.com/george-santos-for-congress/t

#StopTheCCP #FightForFreedom #FreeMilesGuo 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

As American you surely have the right to become inmate of the penitentiary system. :twisted:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

George Santos co-sponsored a bill against unemployment fraud. Now, he's accused of it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I received Pandemic Unemployment Insurance in NY for about 18 months during COVID. I got mine because gig workers were included, and I was compensated for lost vacation rental income. I got about the same amount that Santos got, over the two years. A couple of points that may be enlightening some say:

1. As others have pointed out, if Santos' PUI claim was based simply on a reduced pay check, he did not, in fact, qualify for PUI, as I understood it to be administered in NYS. You had to actually be out of work due to COVID. Meaning, not leaving one job and going to another that paid less, and meaning only because of COVID, not because you got a surprise inheritance and quit your job. My guess is that he did not report any income at all, and trusted that because the income he got was from Florida, NY would not notice it. I too make part of my income from Florida and part from NY (technically, in that I am in NY when I edit); I too lost only part of my income due to COVID, but I still qualified. I can't remember, but my sense is that if Santos claimed 50,000 income for 2020, he would not have qualified for PUI. Meaning he was above the threshold for qualifying. But at least because his (I know, imaginary) income loss had nothing to do with COVID.

2. The sign-up process in NYS for PUI was a shitshow. Overwhelmed website, unclear instructions, phone system failures. It took me, I think, two months of trying to get through to someone to speak to. I was lucky enough to get a good guy (a theater nerd who was making the extra money doing the PUI thing). During the process he said that they were basically giving anyone who sounded honest the $$$, with the idea that suspect cases would be reviewed later. Like much in emergency spending, they were more worried about moving the money to as many people who were in need as possible, without looking too closely. I did have to provide my tax returns, showing my rental income (from FLORIDA) from the previous year, but it was still pretty lax. People later boasted about getting money for this and that by playing the system. Which is all to say that Santos could easily have scammed the system--for a while.

3. The first 11,000 bucks you got was not taxed by the IRS in 2020. But the whole amount you got was subject to NY State tax. In 2021, both the IRS and NY State required that PUI be taxed. So I'll be interested to see if he paid tax (particularly in NYS) when the detes come out.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

George Santos inks deal to avoid prosecution in Brazil over bad checks

https://apnews.com/article/george-santo ... 685f598cc5
A day after New York Rep. George Santos pleaded not guilty to charges in the U.S., he signed an agreement Thursday with public prosecutors in Brazil to avoid prosecution for forging two stolen checks in 2008.

“What would have been the start of a case was ended today,” Santos’ lawyer in Brazil, Jonymar Vasconcelos, told The Associated Press in a text message. “As such, my client is no longer the subject of any case in Brazil.”

Asked about the details of the non-prosecution agreement, Vasconcelos demurred, citing the fact the case proceeded under seal. The public prosecutors’ office of Rio de Janeiro state also declined to comment when contacted by the AP.

Court records in Brazil, first uncovered by The New York Times, show Santos was the subject of a criminal charge for using two stolen checks to buy items at a shop in the city of Niteroi, including a pair of sneakers that he gifted to a friend. At the time, Santos would have been 19. The purchase totaled 2,144 Brazilian reais, then equal to about $1,350, according to the charge prosecutors filed in 2011.

That followed an investigation opened in 2008 and Santos’ signed confession, in which he admitted to having stolen the checkbook of his mother’s former employer from her purse and making purchases, including in the store, and recognizing the fraudulent checks as those he had signed, according to the court documents reviewed by the AP.

A judge accepted the charges against Santos in 2011, but subsequent subpoenas for him to appear personally or present a written defense went unanswered and, with authorities repeatedly unable to determine his whereabouts, the case was suspended in 2013. That changed after he won a U.S. congressional seat and the subsequent flurry of media attention focused on his dubious credentials. Rio state prosecutors then petitioned to reopen the case.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

And not a peep out the reich-wing "leadership" in the house about kicking his dumb ass to the curb.

There are no morals in the "R" any longer.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

George Santos leaves the Capitol after voting on a border bill and an unemployment insurance fraud bill — despite being accused of UI fraud himself. And he doesn’t answer our questions about fraud he confessed to — in Brazil. http://cnn.com/2023/05/11/politics/geor ... index.html
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Remind me again why Al Frankin had to resign?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Because things were different back then.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Look at the elderly gent with the white beard holding the lies sign. Reminds me of the white bearded gent who held signs at Manafort, Roger Stone trials to name two.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I believe I read somewhere this fellow is a stable at these things. If I remember correctly, the LIES sign was leftover from Bannon's arraignment, or trial, and the Santos thing came so quickly he didn't have time to make a new one. But LIES works great, if you ask me.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn he’s one of Roger Stone’s ratfuckers. Just like MattGaetz was involved in the Brooks Brothers riots in 2000. There are apparently tons floating around FL.

BTW, fuck Florida. :biggrin:

Return to “Current Politics”