Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Who Is Rep.-Elect George Santos? His Résumé May Be Largely Fiction - gift link to the failing NY Times

This Santos might need his own thread, this story is getting curiouser and curiouser.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

As if by magic, I turned Kendra's post into a new thread.

Which this guy has clearly earned.

It must have been scary - any minute before the election he could have been popped for all his bullshit, but now he really has been elected to the Congress of the United States of America.

Awesomeness. :oldman:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I think we're gonna need it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:10 am As if by magic, I turned Kendra's post into a new thread.

Which this guy has clearly earned.

It must have been scary - any minute before the election he could have been popped for all his bullshit, but now he really has been elected to the Congress of the United States of America.

Awesomeness. :oldman:
Can we move the previous postings on this from Republicans behaving badly over here?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've read several articles on this in the last few days. In one, it said that the Democrats had tried to get this out, but they were ignored by the media. I think they mentioned the NYT.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thank you Foggy for getting this started off while I was being lazy :bag: :oldlady:

This is getting wide reporting now on CNN and MSNBC. No mention yet on Fox this morning. I believe NY Times reported this first, if anyone finds it/can gift it, feel free to post here :bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:37 am Can we move the previous postings on this from Republicans behaving badly over here?
I could do that, but 1) too much work, we'll be able to follow along with the new thread, and 2) it would make the author of the first post the author of the thread (I can change the author but not the timestamp of a post), and it should be Kendra's thread because she was the first to recognize that this is a story important enough for Mr. Santos to have his own thread.

'Course, Kendra can always edit the first post in the thread (hint hint, wink wink, say no more) to give links to the initial stories about this guy. I know the first was in the failing NY Times, and that would be a good one to add. But Kendra is an intelligent lady, she knows how to do this stuff.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

:Congresshumans behaving badly:
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:59 am
Off Topic
Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:37 am Can we move the previous postings on this from Republicans behaving badly over here?
I could do that, but 1) too much work, we'll be able to follow along with the new thread, and 2) it would make the author of the first post the author of the thread (I can change the author but not the timestamp of a post), and it should be Kendra's thread because she was the first to recognize that this is a story important enough for Mr. Santos to have his own thread.

'Course, Kendra can always edit the first post in the thread (hint hint, wink wink, say no more) to give links to the initial stories about this guy. I know the first was in the failing NY Times, and that would be a good one to add. But Kendra is an intelligent lady, she knows how to do this stuff.
:oldlady: LOL, I had no idea there were posts in Republicans behaving badly :bag:

I'll see what I can do later. I have to work at home today, so time is limited.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, I can just add it to the first post, and you're bizzy so I will. I can get a gift link to the failing NY Times, it will just take a minute.
Edit: done
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Shame on the democratic party in NY for doing zero oppo research on this guy.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:46 am Oh, I can just add it to the first post, and you're bizzy so I will. I can get a gift link to the failing NY Times, it will just take a minute.
Edit: done
Thank you Foggy :notworthy:
Off Topic
I was in the middle of the most tedious, time consuming project that needed all my attention. Making sure the lads are collecting sales tax and/or Reseller Permits. Now that that job is done for another month, I can write the NYT article.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:54 am Shame on the democratic party in NY for doing zero oppo research on this guy.
This seems more like a shame on the media for ignoring attempts to interest them.

What IS going on in NY?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kinda sounds like someone dropped the ball on the opposition research...
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

In May 2017, Mr. Santos faced another eviction case, from a rent-stabilized apartment in Sunnyside, Queens. Mr. Santos’s landlord accused him of owing more than $10,000 in rent stretching over five months and said in court records that one of his tenant’s checks had bounced. A warrant of eviction was issued, and Mr. Santos was fined $12,208 in a civil judgment.

By early 2021, Mr. Santos was becoming vocal on housing issues but not from a tenant perspective. During New York’s pandemic-era eviction moratorium, Mr. Santos said on Twitter that he was a landlord affected by the freeze.

“Will we landlords ever be able to take back possession of our property?” he wrote.

Mr. Santos said that he and his family had not been paid rent on their 13 properties in nearly a year, adding that he had offered rental assistance to some tenants, but found that some were “flat out taking advantage of the situation.”

But Mr. Santos has not listed properties in New York on required financial disclosure forms for either of his campaigns; the only real estate that he mentioned was an apartment in Rio de Janeiro. Property records databases in New York City and Nassau County did not show any documents or deeds associated with him, immediate family members or the Devolder Organization.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

From the NYT article linked above:
Friends of Pets United held at least one fund-raiser with a New Jersey animal rescue group in 2017; the invitation promised drinks, donated raffle items and a live band. Mr. Santos charged $50 for entry, according to an online fund-raising page that promoted the event. But the event’s beneficiary, who asked for anonymity for fear of retribution, said that she never received any of the funds, with Mr. Santos only offering repeated excuses for not forwarding the money.

During that same period, Mr. Santos was also facing apparent financial difficulties. In November 2015, a landlord in the Whitestone neighborhood of Queens filed an eviction suit in housing court accusing Mr. Santos of owing $2,250 in unpaid rent.

The landlord, Maria Tulumba, said in an interview that Mr. Santos had been a “nice guy” and a “respectful” tenant. But she said that he had financial problems that led to the eviction case, declining to elaborate further. The judge ruled in favor of Ms. Tulumba.
Edit: Deleted duplicate text.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/openly-ga ... with-woman
Republican congressman-elect George Santos is under new scrutiny after a New York Times report earlier this week uncovered a string of apparent outright fabrications at the heart of some of the most fundamental facts of his life, but that backstory may also be notable for what Santos did not include—a publicly undisclosed marriage.
I had to register (with throw away email) for free to read the article. I can c/p the whole thing if you guys want and Foggy says OK.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

To think that a newly elected congressman starts his term with an ethics complaint pending when he arrives :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He could do the ethical thing and resign. Oh, wait . . .
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Are we sure he's not just 3 raccoons in a suit?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Now, now, if he was three raccoons in a suit it might could be difficult to persuade a lady of the femalian persuasion to marry him, in an undisclosed marriage that he doesn't want us to know about.

And I didn't want to say this out loud, but is the dude gay or is he just saying that because he thinks it could get him more votes and/or sympathy? Lots of right-wing idiots think liberals vote for people if they're gay. If he's gay, maybe his wife can tell us about it.

I will say again, it must have been terrifying, hoping this stuff didn't come out before the election. But this is almost worse.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I know that Santos and his lawyer(s) have released statements calling the NYT allegations "defamatory", but have they released a single piece of evidence that anything at all on his resume is true?

C'mon, George. Just prove that one thing on your resume is true. A single thing. Produce a college transcript or diploma. Something. Anything.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

noblepa wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:23 pm I know that Santos and his lawyer(s) have released statements calling the NYT allegations "defamatory", but have they released a single piece of evidence that anything at all on his resume is true?

C'mon, George. Just prove that one thing on your resume is true. A single thing. Produce a college transcript or diploma. Something. Anything.
That's what any sensible person would do. It can't be that hard, unless he really did fake it all.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, but at this point I'm much more interested in what he really has done with his life, and not so much proving all the lies.

He didn't go to the schools he said, he didn't hold the jobs he said, but he was somewhere doing something for his previous adult life, and WTF was it?

'Course, give the reporters enough time, they'll track that down. Before January 3rd? :shrug:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Apparently, he is gracious enough to tell us the latest version of who he is next week, when he figures out which story might work. Somehow. In today’s Republican Party it won’t matter. He will vote for McCarthy and end up on the Intelligence Committee.

Return to “Current Politics”