Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So, he was was Facish?
Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... e1c4fd56db
The Department of Justice asked the Federal Election Commission to “hold off on any enforcement action” aimed at fabulist Rep. George Santos (R-NY) while it conducts its criminal probe, reported the Washington Post on Friday.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:40 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... e1c4fd56db
The Department of Justice asked the Federal Election Commission to “hold off on any enforcement action” aimed at fabulist Rep. George Santos (R-NY) while it conducts its criminal probe, reported the Washington Post on Friday.
Well there goes next two years.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:40 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... e1c4fd56db
Fuck them to hell and back.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

This seems like a story. Fake donors
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... aign=alert
In addition to the federal probe, the Post also reported that the Securities and Exchange Commission interviewed two people who shared a story of being pitched by Santos in 2020 to invest in Harbor City Capital, shuttered in 2021 as a Ponzi scheme.

Christian Lopez and Tiffany Bogosian told the Post that they were asked by the SEC for details about Santos' offer, made in an upscale restaurant, Lopez told CNN Thursday.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:35 pm
I'm not following your logic. Typically, when criminal investigations and civil investigations overlap, the civil investigation is paused in order to (1) protect the rights of the potential defendant; and (2) avoid inadvertently giving the potential defendant the right to obtain information about the government's case or witnesses through civil discovery mechanisms (which could jeopardize the criminal case). I view the DOJ request as a sign that the criminal case is serious.

The most significant action the FEC could take against Santos would be a criminal referral (which in turn would be handled by the DOJ). If the FEC solely looked at civil proceedings, because of the FEC's balanced partisan composition, it might fail to get approval to go forward from the Republican Commissioners. The Republicans on the FEC have been unwilling to authorize action against Republicans for election law missteps, even when faced with egregious violations.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

It's becoming quite clear Santos left a massive trail behind him, and that the Dem Party was asleep at the wheel losing to this guy.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

jcolvin2 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:25 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:35 pm
I'm not following your logic. Typically, when criminal investigations and civil investigations overlap, the civil investigation is paused in order to (1) protect the rights of the potential defendant; and (2) avoid inadvertently giving the potential defendant the right to obtain information about the government's case or witnesses through civil discovery mechanisms (which could jeopardize the criminal case). I view the DOJ request as a sign that the criminal case is serious.

The most significant action the FEC could take against Santos would be a criminal referral (which in turn would be handled by the DOJ). If the FEC solely looked at civil proceedings, because of the FEC's balanced partisan composition, it might fail to get approval to go forward from the Republican Commissioners. The Republicans on the FEC have been unwilling to authorize action against Republicans for election law missteps, even when faced with egregious violations.
I don't think being logical was my point (though I admit it often is). Pretty sure I was referencing my belief that the Garland DOJ is a molasses pit and I will be dead before they indict TFB--and yes that has nothing to do with Santos other than the appearance of "Move over, boys, we'll take care of this" when in fact they have failed this country horribly. I didn't say or believe that FEC should be the sole pursuers of fact. But that's fine; I thank you for your explanation of the process, and am consoled. :bighug:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

FY'allI, all the face donors from 2020 stuff in from a terrific Mother Jones article:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -to-exist/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Sadly, the discovery of classified documents at Biden’s properties means Trump won't be prosecuted for the documents he stole.

That's just how the world works. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

But yeah birthers really ran a show us your papers campaign against Obama. Meanwhile George Santos is exactly the person they said Obama was that no one knew about his past. He just came out of nowhere. You can't find information on him.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bob

Post by bob »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:56 am But yeah birthers really ran a show us your papers campaign against Obama. Meanwhile George Santos is exactly the person they said Obama was that no one knew about his past. He just came out of nowhere. You can't find information on him.
:yeahthat:

"Manchurian candidate!" and all that.

The people who demanded (and still demand!) to see Obama's ("real") birth certificate also defend Santos' lying by saying "well, so did Obama!"
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

A Manchurian candidate would have had a better cover story.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@hugolowell
New via Wash Post: Justice Dept has asked the Federal Election Commission to hold off on any enforcement action against George Santos — the clearest sign to date that federal prosecutors are examining Santos’s campaign finances.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Santos is part of the push to get Hispanics to register R.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:24 am It's becoming quite clear Santos left a massive trail behind him, and that the Dem Party was asleep at the wheel losing to this guy.
A rare instance where I disagree with you bill. There were hints and allegations, ignored by NYT among others when pointed out. I used to think the Dems were asleep but now I think they’re simply out-eviled. What are you gonna do when no one wants to see what you’ve found?

You might also have said his tribe knew everything but didn’t do anything. They weren’t asleep, they were predating.

George faked everything, all the time. His life is one big lie. That he lived in the US might be the only truth from his life here.

The last time I spoke to Soros* a bunch of us were bemoaning R dirty tricks and wondering how to best the tricksters plying them. Soros said “Don’t become like them whatever you do.” I didn’t like his answer then but have come to appreciate his wisdom lately.

I don’t EVER want to find myself with a worldview that matches theirs. I will never be that person.

These guys are honest to god nazis at this point. They have a plan to destroy us from within - think of all the school board drama going on in red states, militarization of police forces, and the latest statistic I saw that gobsmacked me - more than half of all people killed by police have a disability. Somehow, Republicans have made eugenics part of their platform without telling us. That’s some Nazi shit right there.

I’m terrified it’s too late. They’ve gone completely off the rails.

* FireDogLake book salon with Soros many moons ago.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:14 pm Santos is part of the push to get Hispanics to register R.
P520,

Since he claims to be of Portuguese/Dutch heritage (admittedly another :?: ), I think that those from Portugal/Brazil would not be characterized as Hispanic.

Is there something out there where he claims to be from Latin America/South America (save Brazil)/Caribbean? I could have missed it trying to chart all his lies.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He's got a Spanish/Latin sounding name. That will work well enough for some people.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Exactly, Andy. :lovestruck:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

It helped DeSantis and nobody will convince me otherwise.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I think we may have missed this claim :roll:
Lawmaker who admitted to lying made carbon capture claims
By Scott Waldman | 01/04/2023 06:27 AM EST

Rep. George Santos has admitted to misleading his constituents about working at Citigroup and Goldman Sachs and to lying about his educational credentials. He also falsely claimed that his mother died on Sept. 11.

Then, there are his climate falsehoods.

Before he was elected as a Republican in the November midterms, Santos claimed that he had helped develop carbon capture technology, that he played a major role in oil and gas development and that he admonished officials with Goldman Sachs Group Inc. who supported renewable energy.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/lawmake ... re-claims/
Note. there is a company named Santos that works in the field of carbon capture, from the search results their claims may be questionable,
eg ref: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ge-project
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

So one day Santos was googling one of his names, this company showed up and now what, he's CEO?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, yanno how I've been yappin' about the Information Age morphing into the Disinformation Age?

Well, Anthony George Devolder Santos is the epitome of what I mean. He was elected to the House of Representatives of the United States of America, and everything he ever said or did to get elected was an outright lie.

Every. Single. Thing. He. Said. Or. Did.

It's masterful, really. It's the perfect representation of the Republican Party today.

I'm gobsmacked, but I'm also deeply impressed. He is such a prolific liar, such a pathological liar, and yet ... he was never seriously caught in any of his lies before the failing NY Times started the ball rolling.

And those of us who focus on dishonesty and examine it as well as practice it in depth (they call them lawyers :biggrin: ) know that if you tell a lot of lies, it's really hard to keep your lies straight. It's easy to get them mixed up, since they aren't based on reality.

Even Trump is a terrible liar, but his secret is, he never lets anyone near him who could actually bust him on them. He does rallies, and the lamestream media reports "He told this lie and that lie," but the rallygoers love it

AGDS isn't in that situation. He can't control who he talks to. Even before he was elected, he was talking to dozens and hundreds of people who were intelligent Earthlings, and lying to all of them, and getting away with it.

That's some kinda smooth operator, and he has a bright future in some field that requires lying without batting an eye.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Current Politics”