Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you doing for Christmas?

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Caught the cold our daughter brought home from school as did our SIL yesterday. Mrs. V. remains healthy.

I see from Google Maps that she is now at the Wichita Falls equivalent of a Whole Foods so no doubt some fine foods for our Christmas celebration are being procured. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

We are having two of our granddoggies over beginning Friday night so Pancake has someone to play with. On Xmas Day we go over to my brother's house in Little Rock for their traditional Lasagne Christmas dinner. Then we play games and tell lies all afternoon and leave before it's too dark to drive safely. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Yikes! All the best Gregg. Speedy recovery, and you'll have to treat yourself to a festive occasion once you are on solid food!

Our Christmas is subdued. I won't be joining my wife at her sister's place for Christmas Eve, cuz, well for the same reason I avoided Thanksgiving.

Christmas morning just wife, self, son, and her sister will be here for a pretty simple breakfast of sliced oranges picked that morning from our tree, waffles that I make, bacon, and lotsa coffee. Then sonny boy is off to his girl friend's deal wherever it happens to be this year.

By noon all the decorations are down, and it is back to usual.

I'm glad you can see your pops, Foggy. I miss both of mine nearly every day. I'm an only child. All my cousins are at least 10 years older than I. We were never close due to age and distance.

Cherish your time!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Well, Christmas has officially been partly rescheduled for early January. My brother's flight out of NYC was cancelled. My dad has requested I not drive over to get him. We both have some snow (and maybe a little ice...it seems to change hourly) in the forecast and my dad says they're talking about possible 50 mph winds in open areas around him. We're forecast for -30 degree wind chill factors here so I can't imagine what they'll be there. It'll just be us and my wife's father on Christmas day. I hate my dad being alone on Christmas day but that's where we are.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Plans are now finding ways to have a prepared choir after losing tonight's rehearsal. While I usually wait until later to pull the chain, to make sure it does not become a nothing burger, but it's not looking good.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I am not gonna watch JT8's video, and if you can't trust people who don't watch Christmas movies, it is time to consider emigration to another planet or sumpin'. 'Course, I trust a lady who watches every freakin' Christmas movie ever made, and she is totally in Heaven when she's at the beach, in July, getting tanned during the day and watching Christmas in July on Hallmark at night.

So it takes all kinds. :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our SIL's parents and brother will arrive this evening.

Mrs. V. is in the kitchen making two 9" chicken pot pies for tonight which will feed the 5 of us who are not vegetarian or vegan. Our younger cat is "helping" her. ;)

Currently 11F going down to single digits tonight. Also breezy.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:59 pm Currently 11F going down to single digits tonight. Also breezy.
:shock:

It's a wind chill factory!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh wait, it just hit me.

On Christmas morn, I will be up at 5:30 a.m. like I am every Sunday when possible, doing forum maintenance chores.

And just hope that Santa didn't leave me a new version of phpBB or sumpin' . :lol:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:07 pm I am not gonna watch JT8's video, and if you can't trust people who don't watch Christmas movies, it is time to consider emigration to another planet or sumpin'. 'Course, I trust a lady who watches every freakin' Christmas movie ever made, and she is totally in Heaven when she's at the beach, in July, getting tanned during the day and watching Christmas in July on Hallmark at night.

So it takes all kinds. :smoking:
Those are Raleigh sportsball radio dudes. Joe Ovies (left) rags on Joe Giglio for not liking xmas movies.

It's just fun stuff.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I figured it wasn't serious. It's just that in this house there is a definite dividing line between people who do, and do not, watch Christmas movies. So it's kind of a standing joke around here. But I have to walk through the room where the Christmas movies live.

I have seen enough snippets of Christmas movies on Hallmark to realize that they aren't Christmas movies at all.

Not one of 'em is about the birth of Jesus, or the spirit of Christmas, or anything like that. They are love stories set in a Christmas setting. They are romantic love stories, in little towns, where it snows, at Christmastime, and even the one that did have Santa and some elves, was a love story. "I'm in love with Santa's daughter!" :roll:

So now you can skip them, since I have now effectively mansplained more than 400 movies in just a few paragraphs.
:thankyou:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, and one of the beautiful things about Hallmark movies about love stories at Christmastime is that you don't have to pay any silly royalties for the music. You just get an orchestra to play Christmas carols with various types of arrangements, and it's all public domain. Priceless!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:49 pm Yeah, I figured it wasn't serious. It's just that in this house there is a definite dividing line between people who do, and do not, watch Christmas movies. So it's kind of a standing joke around here. But I have to walk through the room where the Christmas movies live.

I have seen enough snippets of Christmas movies on Hallmark to realize that they aren't Christmas movies at all.

Not one of 'em is about the birth of Jesus, or the spirit of Christmas, or anything like that. They are love stories set in a Christmas setting. They are romantic love stories, in little towns, where it snows, at Christmastime, and even the one that did have Santa and some elves, was a love story. "I'm in love with Santa's daughter!" :roll:

So now you can skip them, since I have now effectively mansplained more than 400 movies in just a few paragraphs.
:thankyou:
If you can tolerate Kevin Spacey, The Ref is my 2nd favourite x-mas movie behind Bill Murray's Scrooged. The Ref is funny in a mean, anti-holiday sort of way. That's my season this year.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:55 pm Oh, and one of the beautiful things about Hallmark movies about love stories at Christmastime is that you don't have to pay any silly royalties for the music. You just get an orchestra to play Christmas carols with various types of arrangements, and it's all public domain. Priceless!
The real beauty of Hallmark movies is you can drift in and out of sleep for 123 hours in front of them and never lose the plot because they're all the same movie, different actors and they play the public domain music in different orders.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:55 pm Oh, and one of the beautiful things about Hallmark movies about love stories at Christmastime is that you don't have to pay any silly royalties for the music. You just get an orchestra to play Christmas carols with various types of arrangements, and it's all public domain. Priceless!
My beloved watches these Hallmark Christmas movies with regularity. Many of the cast members appear in some of their other franchises.

Not only are all the plots nearly identical, but it is obvious that they are filmed during more temperate months. In movie after movie, very rarely do the actors have condensation on their breath while enjoying the outdoors doing their thing. Actors with "snow" on their jackets go inside to a function. Twenty minutes later those "snowflakes" still cling to their clothing or hair. Other actors are bundled up for the cold weather and encounter a friend in town who is dressed like its 65 degrees. There is never--never--any snowmelt throughout the movie. The temperatures plummet below freezing and never rise high enough to melt some of the snow or ice.

Maybe I am too anal, but stuff like this in scene after scene distracts me from the weak plot, and I focus on all the goofs and other oddities that litter their Christmas movies.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:59 pm
My beloved watches these Hallmark Christmas movies with regularity. Many of the cast members appear in some of their other franchises.

Not only are all the plots nearly identical, but it is obvious that they are filmed during more temperate months. In movie after movie, very rarely do the actors have condensation on their breath while enjoying the outdoors doing their thing. Actors with "snow" on their jackets go inside to a function. Twenty minutes later those "snowflakes" still cling to their clothing or hair. Other actors are bundled up for the cold weather and encounter a friend in town who is dressed like its 65 degrees. There is never--never--any snowmelt throughout the movie. The temperatures plummet below freezing and never rise high enough to melt some of the snow or ice.

Maybe I am too anal, but stuff like this in scene after scene distracts me from the weak plot, and I focus on all the goofs and other oddities that litter their Christmas movies.

There is never any snow on the road that has been driven into wet, grey, messy slush and the cars never have the film of road dirt and salt on them that you can only ever get in states that salt the road.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I started an avalanche. :mrgreen:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pagan trees.jpg
pagan trees.jpg (254.19 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

This is old but appropriate, apparently.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

The originality is suspect unless you bury it in see-ment.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not what I'm doing, but I'm sure many here will appreciate.
lastthing.jpeg
lastthing.jpeg (101.2 KiB) Viewed 815 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

When I was growing up, the old wooden ones were at the bottom, the breakable ones were mid-way but not near the chairs, and the others (including cloth chewable ones) were up high. I think my parents continued that tradition even after they didn't have cats.

I have only put up a tree twice since I moved out so I did not continue the tradition.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My sister-in-law regularly has four Christmas trees up. The one downstairs, where their daughters had bedrooms, is still to this day called "The Touching Tree." You can guess the durability of the ornaments hung on that tree!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I have a fake tree that delights me. This year my box with the nutcrackers sprout and I have been collecting since he was 7 has gone walk-about. We can’t find it anywhere. I’m verklempt. :crying:

Return to “General Stuff”