Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Birding

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Birding

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I have heard some new singers in my backyard, side yards, and green easement. One is maybe the downy woodpecker. The other I don't recognize.

We have blue jays, cardinals, mockingbirds, robins, kites, crows, wrens, Canadian geese, and the occasional red tail hawk and owl.

The VERY LOUD Cicada Chorale continues every day beginning at 5:00 p.m. It has abated some. I wondered if frogs could be contributing, but I haven't seen frogs in our trees.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:03 pm The VERY LOUD Cicada Chorale continues every day beginning at 5:00 p.m. It has abated some. I wondered if frogs could be contributing, but I haven't seen frogs in our trees.
Here is one of the singers in our chorale. He came for his weekly voice lesson from the voice teacher who lives here. No need to work on projection with these so we spend more time on diction and tone. I haven't figured out how to do breathing since I assume their sound comes from the wings or other body parts, but as with everything, even keyboard and violin playesr, breathing matters.
Cicada1.jpg
Cicada1.jpg (380.57 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
On a separate note, I am seeing a bunch of more goldfinches this year and they are quite talkative. We have always had them but not it seems the population really took off. One of them was early for church yesterday sitting on the tree outside the door, singing away.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Do you work on phrasing also? :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

But of course. The problem with the cicadas is that they tend to flatten in pitch at the of the phrase. Breathing would fix that. Breathing fixes everything.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Nighthawks!

I love those birds. Super aerobatic distinctive wings are and stripes.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

northland10 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:30 pm But of course. The problem with the cicadas is that they tend to flatten in pitch at the of the phrase. Breathing would fix that. Breathing fixes everything.
My voice coach is always telling me to relax my jaw.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Mrs. FRP and I are sitting on the couch this morning, listening to a couple of our local pairs of sandhill cranes call at each other. It's making me a bit sad. First, because I know they will be leaving soon to head south on their migration, and I'm always bummed when the cranes and geese leave our area for warmer climes. Second, because when these particular cranes come back next year (as they do every year), Mrs. FRP and I won't be here to see them. Why? Because we just bought a house on the other side of the Green Bay area, in a much less rural area (it's less than a mile from Lambeau Field). So we are savoring our last few mornings of hearing the Song of Destruction from our favorite species of birds dinosaurs.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Congratulations!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice news!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Congrats!!!! Record your final dinosaur calls!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Bring Birds Back
A podcast about the joy of birds and the ways that humans can help them through simple, everyday actions.
https://www.birdnote.org/listen/podcast ... birds-back
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
tek

Post by tek »

baby ducks on Lake Humidity now almost bigger than their mom..
IMGP5346sm.jpg
IMGP5346sm.jpg (355.82 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

The pup and I are headed out to Illinois Beach State Park tomorrow morning to hawk watch the fall migration.
Tiredretiredlawyer

We has an owl!!!! A big one. We haven't identified it yet, but it says, "Hoo, hoo, grrr."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:11 am We has an owl!!!! A big one. We haven't identified it yet, but it says, "Hoo, hoo, grrr."
training for Decembers Santa Claus display ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer

:rotflmao: You definitely think outside the box! Love it! :biggrin:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Sandhill
Tiredretiredlawyer

:lovestruck:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

wait for it - thank you Obama ;)
► Show Spoiler
northland10

Post by northland10 »

:rotflmao:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ales-males
The California condor is the largest flying bird in North America, with a 10ft wingspan that enables it to soar up to 15,000ft – nearly half the height of a commercial airplane. Now the birds can claim another superlative feat: scientists have discovered that females can reproduce without a male partner, in a rare phenomenon known as parthenogenesis.

:snippity:

Condors have been imperiled for a century. As Europeans settled the west, they often shot, poisoned and captured the condors, collected their eggs, and reduced their food supply of antelope, elk and other large wild animals. Their population declined steadily until only 22 remained in 1982, but a state-led recovery program has since successfully bred the animals back from the brink.

:snippity:

Ryder says the zoo continued to use DNA testing to determine the familial relationships between the condors, to avoid inbreeding closely related individuals. More recently, scientists decided to undertake a complete genetic analysis of the population, which had grown to more than 900 birds. They used condor samples collected over the course of the program’s 30-plus-year history, including blood, eggshell membrane, tissue from deceased birds and feathers.

When the scientists completed their investigation, there were two glaring cases that indicated something was amiss. Both involved chicks that came from an egg without genetic material from the male who shared the enclosure and was presumed to be the father. The results were confirmed by multiple samples, so scientists were confident it wasn’t a mistake.

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Would like to point out that the female California Condors can only produce MALE offspring by parthenogenesis.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Azastan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 pm Would like to point out that the female California Condors can only produce MALE offspring by parthenogenesis.
We’ll, duh!! That’s cuz they know parthenogenesis isn’t nearly as much fun as the traditional way!
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

June bug wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 pm
Azastan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 pm Would like to point out that the female California Condors can only produce MALE offspring by parthenogenesis.
We’ll, duh!! That’s cuz they know parthenogenesis isn’t nearly as much fun as the traditional way!
:lol:

It's actually considered a method by which there will be more genetic material available to provide diversity. If they produced all females, every female would be the same as their mother. This way, mother will be able to mate with her son.

We are used to humans being XX = female, XY = male.

In birds, ZZ = male, ZW = female. The W chromosome, just like the human Y chromosome, is vestigial.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

New Zealand finally welcomes godwit two months after it was blown 2,000km back to Alaska
The bird has failed to complete the non-stop, 12,200km journey three times in the past year

Eva Corlett in Wellington
Tue 9 Nov 2021 04.18 GMT

A plucky migrating godwit that captured New Zealand’s attention after it was forced to make a dramatic U-turn back to Alaska after 33 hours of non-stop flight has finally touched down in the country.

Every year, the Eastern bar-tailed godwits, or kuaka in Māori, make one of the longest avian migration flights in the world, travelling from their breeding ground in the Arctic, across the Pacific, to New Zealand.

About 80,000 godwits arrive in New Zealand each year, and move into harbours and estuaries across the two islands. Typically, the flocks are welcomed in September, sometimes to the sound of Cathedral bells.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -to-alaska

Return to “General Stuff”