Birding

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Birding

Post by northland10 »

Selection #9 is "Tourist" with their easily recognizable call, "Fudge!!!".
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bravo!!!!! Well done, sir, well done! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Polygamy in the bird world!

https://www.treehugger.com/vegetarian-b ... es-5272557
Vegetarian Birds Are More Social Than Carnivorous Ones
They also tend to be more promiscuous.

Weavers are a family of 118 small songbird species that are known for the elaborate nests they create.1 But researchers recently discovered something more fascinating about these creatures than their creative architecture.2

Their diet seems to have a major impact on their social behavior, including how promiscuous they are.

Researchers analyzed various studies on many species of weavers living primarily in sub-Saharan Africa. They found that those that ate seeds tended to flock together and live in colonies more often than those weaver species that eat insects.3

Researchers found that the species that live in the open savannah most often would flock together and forage in groups in order to find the best sources of food. Those seed-eating birds nested in large colonies and often were polygamous, researchers found, pairing off with many mates during each breeding season.3
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

https://www.wildlifeillinois.org/sideba ... use-again/
Announcement: IDNR Issues Updated Guidance: May Resume Use of Bird Feeders and Bird Baths

Bird lovers may resume using backyard feeders and baths effective Wednesday, June 1, 2022. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) originally recommended the use of bird feeders and bird baths be suspended through May 31 in response to the EA H5N1 strain of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in Illinois. With the annual spring migration of non-resident waterfowl and other migratory bird species complete, the risk of further disease outbreaks among wild bird populations has been minimized. To date, HPAI has not been detected in songbird species. The IDNR continues to encourage regular cleaning of bird feeders and bird baths.

“The IDNR would like to thank the public for their assistance and cooperation in potentially reducing the spread of HPAI during this critical time,” said Chris Jacques, the agency’s wildlife disease program manager.

People who keep domestic poultry should remain extra vigilant. Further guidance for poultry owners can be found at the following USDA website: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/…/avian…/hpai-home/hpai

And because HPAI may still occur in resident waterfowl, people should avoid feeding ducks and geese. Even under normal conditions, feeding waterfowl can lead to nuisance problems and, consequently, increase rates of disease transmission in wild bird populations.

IDNR first announced HPAI was detected in wild migratory waterfowl (Canada geese) in Illinois in March 2022. Since that time, experts have documented HPAI-related mortalities in wild eagles, double-crested cormorants, snow geese, American white pelicans, red-tailed hawks, mallard ducks, redhead duck, lesser scaup, Canada geese, Ross’s geese, and turkey vultures in Champaign, Cook, Fulton, Lake, Madison, Peoria, Sangamon, and Will counties.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The Black guy birdwatcher who was falsely accused by the white woman in Central Park is getting his own show on NatGeo.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Now the right can complain that NatGeo has gone woke.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm The Black guy birdwatcher who was falsely accused by the white woman in Central Park is getting his own show on NatGeo.
:thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

The Voice: Indiana Top Ten Songbirds!

https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/w ... the-birds/
Eastern Screech-owl

Eastern screech-owls prefer woodlands and forests with a suitable cavity tree, but they occupy a wide variety of habitats. Usually, these habitats feature open subcanopy space that lends to hunting a diverse range of prey, as the Eastern screech-owl diet includes both invertebrates such as insects and earthworms and vertebrates such as rodents and songbirds. They can also benefit from manmade nest boxes and can be found near urban and suburban habitats.
Eastern-screech-owl-MattWilliams.jpg
Eastern-screech-owl-MattWilliams.jpg (153.56 KiB) Viewed 847 times
How do I post the call? It's an MP3.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Now birds have airplane cockpit alarms.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:shock: Poor bird :crying:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:40 am :shock: Poor bird :crying:
yeah. that could be fatal if bones are broken.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:40 am :shock: Poor bird :crying:
Yeah. I didn’t like that.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Looked like a penguin to me, the are tough cause reaching water from land is sometimes difficult too at rocky beaches. I have seen videos from juveniles escaping their nest built into rock walls having similar bumpy expierience.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:20 pm Looked like a penguin to me, the are tough cause reaching water from land is sometimes difficult too at rocky beaches. I have seen videos from juveniles escaping their nest built into rock walls having similar bumpy expierience.
Looked like a puffin to me, and they can fly, but not very well apparently.
The puffin struggles to get in the air, beating its wings 300-400 times a minute just to stay in flight! They also have trouble landing, often crashing into the water or rolling onto the grass, tumbling into any other puffins that may be in their way.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Oops. I looked at it again. I agree, not good.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Post by northland10 »

The bird is a very young Black Guillemont on an early flight. As far as I can tell they are sturdy enough to handle bad landings like the one above. I have found videos of them coming off the cliffs and hitting the cliff many places on the way down, getting up, and doing it again. Their greatest danger is not the bad landing but foxes.

Here is an example.

As far as I could tell from checking around, the bird in the video was uninjured on the landing.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:20 pm Looked like a penguin to me, the are tough cause reaching water from land is sometimes difficult too at rocky beaches. I have seen videos from juveniles escaping their nest built into rock walls having similar bumpy expierience.
Penguins can't fly... I mean, they really can't fly. Flippers, not wings.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:28 pm
The puffin struggles to get in the air, beating its wings 300-400 times a minute just to stay in flight! They also have trouble landing, often crashing into the water or rolling onto the grass, tumbling into any other puffins that may be in their way.
But well enough to get big beakfuls of fish.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Uninformed wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:56 pm
Wow, :-o she's impressive. :clap:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Coooooooooooooool!
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I don't get too many new birds in my backyard so I have to make do with the things I don't see very often (and also need to get out away from here more).

1. Looks like the red-bellied woodpeckers have had children. I saw am immature one today.

2. Saw a couple grackles. I have not seen them around here much.

3. I was reminded yesterday that female house finches sing albeit with a simpler song. She was singing outside my window yesterday afternoon (I like it when the temp is low enough and I can go with open windows and no ac while working).

4. Goldfinches don't bother landing to sing. Besides their normal chirping while flying, they were opening up singing while flying this morning.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:28 pm
Video of puffin taking off from water.

Tiredretiredlawyer

My grandgurlzz enjoyed playing Cornell University’s Ornithology Bird Song Hero and using the Merlin Bird ID app.

Return to “General Stuff”