Birding

AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Birding

Post by northland10 »

25 Funny Bird Pictures That Will Make You Squawk With Laughter
https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/ ... -pictures/
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Birding

Post by Flatpoint High »

Meet FLACO the Eurasian Eagle OWL The King of the UWS of NYC. And he didn't "escape". He was LIBERATED
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool!

A few years ago, we had a Steller's sea eagle escape the National Aviary here, but she wasn't free for that long. Maybe a few weeks or a month. It was neat watching the coverage while she was free,
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Birding

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

We have a visitor this morning. Can anyone ID? Great Grey please pick up the courtesy phone….
IMG_5917.jpeg
IMG_5917.jpeg (295.67 KiB) Viewed 424 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:47 am
The juncos at my place (during the winter, of course) are usually ground pounders and feed on the stuff tossed from the feeder. This year, more of them have been going to the feeder.

Strange year (is 57 degrees in February).
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:12 am We have a visitor this morning. Can anyone ID? Great Grey please pick up the courtesy phone….IMG_5917.jpeg
Barred Owl?

Great Grey? Chilidog?
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

northland10 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:06 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:12 am We have a visitor this morning. Can anyone ID? Great Grey please pick up the courtesy phone….IMG_5917.jpeg
Barred Owl?

Great Grey? Chilidog?
My sister said it was a barred owl.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

We have lots of dark eyed juncos here. They eat everywhere.
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

Barred Owl?

Great Grey? Chilidog?
concur barred
pipistrelle

Birding

Post by pipistrelle »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:50 pm
Barred Owl?

Great Grey? Chilidog?
concur barred
I thought barred, assuming it’s dark eyed, and it’s clearly not a barn owl. I was confirming there aren’t any other likely dark-eyed candidates and as a side note found out there have been some dark-eyed burrowing owls. This is the first I’ve seen them.

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/2542 ... os/3902076
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

IMG_6427 copy.jpg
IMG_6427 copy.jpg (144.24 KiB) Viewed 311 times

I walked into the living room (aka. Mrs. Shizzle's sewing room) earlier to find a Cooper's hawk sitting in the tree just outside the window. Those windows are filmed since they're west facing and are not low-e, which allowed me to walk right up the window and take a few pictures.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow! :thumbsup:
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

:biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

Gold finches! I gotz gold finches. I have NEVER had them before! :biggrin:
qbawl

Birding

Post by qbawl »

It's okay. Take two aspirin and call a doctor if a fever or swelling ensues.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

qbawl wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:42 am It's okay. Take two aspirin and call a doctor if a fever or swelling ensues.
:rotflmao:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We had a female Eastern Bluebird hanging around the feeders today. Well, at least until it started snowing hard and a group of starlings flew in and chased all the other birds away. My wife won’t let me shoot at the starlings with the pellet gun. I’m not sure why. 😉
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:34 pm We had a female Eastern Bluebird hanging around the feeders today. Well, at least until it started snowing hard and a group of starlings flew in and chased all the other birds away. My wife won’t let me shoot at the starlings with the pellet gun. I’m not sure why. 😉
If you had starling nests, you could remove the eggs and nests without any consequences (same with house sparrows) because they are invasive species. Apparently killing them is rarely much use because there are so many.

They might not like noise so you might get them to run off if you startle them with sound. At my place, especially in the spring, we get the invasive species war where house sparrows and European starlings get all nasty at each other for trying to dominate the area. It works best when they both chase each other off (albeit temporarily) so the finches can then pop in for a snack.
pipistrelle

Birding

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:59 am
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:34 pm We had a female Eastern Bluebird hanging around the feeders today. Well, at least until it started snowing hard and a group of starlings flew in and chased all the other birds away. My wife won’t let me shoot at the starlings with the pellet gun. I’m not sure why. 😉
If you had starling nests, you could remove the eggs and nests without any consequences (same with house sparrows) because they are invasive species. Apparently killing them is rarely much use because there are so many.
Fun fact from Cornell's All About Birds:
All the European Starlings in North America descended from 100 birds set loose in New York's Central Park in the early 1890s. The birds were intentionally released by a group who wanted America to have all the birds that Shakespeare ever mentioned. It took several tries, but eventually the population took off. Today, more than 200 million European Starlings range from Alaska to Mexico, and many people consider them pests.

Because of their recent arrival in North America, all of our starlings are closely related. Genetically, individuals from Virginia are nearly indistinguishable from starlings sampled in California, 3,000 miles away. Such little genetic variation often spells trouble for rare species, but seems to offer no ill effects to starlings so far.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I don't mind feeding any of the other birds because they all seem to be able to more or less peacefully coexist with each other. The starlings come in groups of 20 to 40 and hog everything forcing all the other birds out and then they hang out for a long time.

When we lived in Illinois we had a pool and starlings would build nests in a pair of blue spruce we had at the back corners. When their eggs hatched they would clean out the nest and dump the contents in the pool. Lovely. That's when I declared war on them and started knocking nests down when they started building them. After that they tried building nests in my BBQ grill. My response was to light the grill and set their house on fire. I had to do that several times before they finally took the hint and stayed away from the grill. I always checked to make sure there were no eggs but by that time I'm not sure it would have altered my response. Nasty birds.
John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:52 am That's when I declared war on them and started knocking nests down when they started building them. After that they tried building nests in my BBQ grill. My response was to light the grill and set their house on fire. I had to do that several times before they finally took the hint and stayed away from the grill. I always checked to make sure there were no eggs but by that time I'm not sure it would have altered my response. Nasty birds.
Uhm...you might want to talk to a therapist....just sayin'. :shock: :bighug:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Birding

Post by RTH10260 »

Just add some bacon to the eggs and everything will be fine for breakfast ;)

Return to “General Stuff”