Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Twitter Alternatives: The Great Migration

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yesterday Elmo banned Chad Loder from Twitter for his anti-fascist research. Or because Loder was investigating a Twitter thing. Or becuase it was a day ending in Y. It doesn't matter. He also posted a lot of other bat-shit crazy crap about the evil of wokeism* and how the it is trying to stifle free speech (y'know, hate speech). Good lord.

So I started my migration. Joined Mastodon. I note that currently, Mastodon does not want political discussion (I think I read that right). That's a downer, obviously. For now.

Also joined the wait-list for Post (post.news). This is such a great name, I tend to think it has a good chance of catching on. A lot of the well known folks I follow have established accounts there.

Post is currently being overwhelmed, and has a wait list to join of hundreds of thousands. They give you a link that says if you get five others to join up, you move up the wait list. Here is my link:

https://post.news/?r=73cn1

If any of you use it (as I hope you will), perhaps you could say so below? Don't need more than the five. Then, if any of you want to also try to get five sign-ups, we could do a sort of chain sign up for those who are interested.

Don't know what's going to happen on Twitter in the future; hopefully it can be saved from this malign madman. All I know is that it was a sewer yesterday. I like to read responses to the interesting posts of people I follow. But nothing I did could hide the racist, sexist, violence, ignorant shit that overwhelmed the threads.

Where are other going?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:47 am If any of you use it (as I hope you will), perhaps you could say so below?
Post wrote:We have added your email address to the waiting list — you are currently #159290
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I used Portia's link. If she gets her five, here's a link for me.

https://post.news/?r=gxJ9A
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:47 am So I started my migration. Joined Mastodon. I note that currently, Mastodon does not want political discussion (I think I read that right). That's a downer, obviously. For now.
It may just be the server/instance you're on. Some have a pretty strict focus on one of more topics. Changing servers is pretty easy. There are a lot of "general" servers that aren't topic-restricted (though most all instances forbid hate speech and the like - it's a pretty progressive service.)

If you decide to stick it out there and have any trouble finding a new server or transferring to it, let me know and I should be able help you out.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:47 am If any of you use it (as I hope you will), perhaps you could say so below? Don't need more than the five. Then, if any of you want to also try to get five sign-ups, we could do a sort of chain sign up for those who are interested.
I'm probably going to use Mastadon more, but I'll be glad to it out and have signed up for the wait list through your code :)

If there's enought interest for the others who've posted URLs before me, here's mine: https://post.news/?r=mopHx
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:33 am
p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:47 am So I started my migration. Joined Mastodon. I note that currently, Mastodon does not want political discussion (I think I read that right). That's a downer, obviously. For now.
It may just be the server/instance you're on. Some have a pretty strict focus on one of more topics. Changing servers is pretty easy. There are a lot of "general" servers that aren't topic-restricted (though most all instances forbid hate speech and the like - it's a pretty progressive service.)

If you decide to stick it out there and have any trouble finding a new server or transferring to it, let me know and I should be able help you out.
Thanks! I will no doubt do that.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

So that's two sign-ups for me thus far. Thanks!

Update: I went back to the Post site to see if there was a status report for my two nice sign-ups. Found that there is no way to log in--not surprising given that I haven't been prompted to set up a password. No way to check where I am on the wait list, either.

Presumably they will email me when it's my turn to open an account.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

At my age, I don't enjoy migration. Like, for real, I recently moved within the same condo building to a different unit and it was a a bit of a cluster-F&^k experience.

I am not a twitter contributor (occasional retweet and like) but I have over 400 follows (and 7 followers -- I think they are all fogbowers). I am not looking forward to having to rebuild but if this jackass is intent on torpedoing twitter -- well, here we are.

I signed up for the wait list via p0rtia's link.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

That's 3.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 amThat's 3.
We have added your email address to the waiting list — you are currently #163821.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I just added myself to the list.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

That's 4.

Some info on the general topic. Rather general, and also mentions Facebook, Discord, and Tumblr, so I'm not sure they get the point.

https://www.thewrap.com/7-best-twitter- ... sk-switch/
7 Best Twitter Alternatives if You Plan on Leaving

As an exodus from Elon Musk’s bird app continues, here are some other social media platforms to flock to:

Clubhouse (4.8/5 Apple Store, 4.5/5 Google Play Store)

For those who will miss their Twitter Spaces, Clubhouse mimics the format that Twitter used for the audio conferences. The space function allows profiles to come together to speak on different subjects, denoting who is speaking by highlighting their profile icon. The live, open forum podcast format allows for collision conversations that may not happen on a more structured, text-only platform.

Mastodon (4.5/5 Apple Store, 2.6/5 Google Play Store)

If you’ve been in the weeds of Musk’s Twitter takeover, you’ve likely heard of Mastodon, a decentralized social media that has experienced massive growth since the $44 billion Twitter acquisition was finalized. While Mastodon has a Twitter-like look to it — and users post toots in place of tweets — all the content isn’t housed on a single server like Twitter. Instead, Mastodon’s platform links together a slew of servers — which can each be considered social networks in their own right — that are governed by different groups or users. 

Though the set-up has created headaches for many new users who have struggled to find a server with people who share their interests, Mastodon encourages users to share the information from the server they join with followers who have similar interests.

Bluesky (not yet launched)

Though Bluesky has not been formally launched, all eyes are on the social media alternative created by Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey. The platform is anticipated to be decentralized, similar to Mastodon, and distinguishes itself from Twitter by claiming user data will be controlled by users and free of governmental or corporate influence.

In October, the company announced that it had 30,000 signups for the app, tweeting, “thanks for the overwhelming interest, we’ll do our best to get you in soon.”
Cohost (not yet launched)

Cohost advertises “posting, but better.” The new social media platform aims to target people who like sharing things on the internet – but without all the side snags of blaring ads that pop up right where you’re about to click or the omnipresent algorithmic force behind the curation of the content each user sees. The yet-to-be launched app acknowledges “borrowing liberally” from other sites with the idea that no platform has perfected the recipe yet. Other core values include sharing the same space with both like and unlike-minded individuals, and acknowledging the restrictions metrics pose on creative content cultivation. Cohost also seems to cater to individuals as cogs in their larger machine, though they denounce the toxic focus on “getting engagement” as a driver of traffic.
Elon Musk Kills New Twitter Feature Hours After Launch, Promises to Try ‘Lots of Dumb Things’ in Immediate Future
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://www.yahoo.com/now/post-twitter- ... 30167.html
What Is Post, the Twitter Alternative Gaining Traction With Journalists and News Hounds?

Loree Seitz
Wed, November 23, 2022 at 6:20 PM

As some celebrities and high-profile users began to publicly exit Twitter to protest Elon Musk’s $44 billion takeover, Mastodon emerged as the first oasis. But frustrations with its complexity have created an opening for another upstart social media platform to gain traction: the news-focused, still-in-beta Post.

Mastodon got a user boost in the eight days following the Musk takeover, adding more than 325,000 App Store and Google Play installs worldwide and now boasting more than 4.5 million users. But the Mastodon hype hit a plateau as newbies struggled to navigate the complex multi-server platform and connect with the same users they engaged on Twitter.

Now along comes Post, a platform that hopes to capture Twitter’s news-focused element with a “clean interface.” Post is so far only in beta, and has not disclosed its current user numbers, but says its waitlist is now over 125,000 people, according to Axios.

Both Post and Mastodon have a mountain to climb to begin to truly rival Twitter, which reported more than 230 million monetizable daily users in the second quarter. Musk has reported usage upticks on multiple occasions as the now-gutted company scrambles to keep the lights on – which they’ve done so far without interruption.

But even in its testing stage, Post has attracted the attention of journalists and news-hounds of all kinds – the very audience that it hopes to serve, monetize and help make money for themselves: Part of Post’s plan is to use micropayments (a feature not yet available on Twitter) to monetize news articles and reward high-engagement users.

Here’s everything you need to know about Post.
What is Post?

Founded by former Waze CEO Noam Bardin earlier this year, Post seeks to build a melting pot of multiple perspectives and news that inspires “meaningful discussions with friends, strangers, experts and leaders.”

“Remember when social media was fun, introduced you to big ideas and cool people, and actually made you smarter?” the website’s description reads. “Remember when it didn’t waste your time and make you angry or sad? When you could disagree with someone without being threatened or insulted? We want to bring that back with Post.”

Additionally, Post introduces a relatively new feature that enables users to buy individual articles from as-yet-unnamed premium news providers. Post has not disclosed how it intends to distribute those micropayments.

Like Twitter, users can comment, like, share and repost content on their account, though it might take a bit to access the platform: Currently launched in beta for select users, Post is only accepting wait-list sign-ups, and its interface and feed is not yet visible to non-members.

So far the only example is the post.news sign-up page, where they ask for personal information including your Twitter handle, LinkedIn account and a brief description of yourself to join the waitlist. People old enough to remember chain-letters will appreciate the only way to “cut the line and get early access”: by referring five people who use your unique link to sign up for Post.

“We are just getting started so we are missing many features, working through bugs, and just beginning to deliver our vision,” the website reads. “Please be patient with us and help us build a kinder, more interesting place that represents our better selves.”
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:06 amThat's 3.
I note that the wait list reservation asked for our twitter @handle/name. I hope they are planning to reconnect our follows somehow. It's totally doable.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Joined wait list via Portia.

If others get their 5 I am at-

https://post.news/?r=ywML5
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I'm on mastodon through the sdf.org server, since I dig their general purpose.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:11 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:33 am

Thanks! I will no doubt do that.

Cool! :mrgreen:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The Great Migration - Dschengis Khan and wild hordes of Chinese bots on search for greener ($$$) pastures :twisted:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I signed up for Post a few days ago and I was #94,000ish. I used a link I saw on twitter so I guess whoever posted it got credit. I'm a twitter nobody so I'll just wait my turn.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

P0rtia, you def have your 5 now I think I’m 6 or 7, so here’s my link too

https://post.news/?r=8kLIR

I’m, like, 180,000.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Okay, I've got my five sign ups.

Next is Slim: https://post.news/?r=gxJ9A

Then Kriselda: https://post.news/?r=mopHx

Then Volonski: https://post.news/?r=ywML5

Then Phoenix520: https://post.news/?r=8kLIR

I'll do my best to keep track. If people say whose link they used, that'll help. Actually, without that, it's impossible.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

A question about Post's "tell us a little about yourself" question. Will the response be public when you become a member?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

chancery wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:19 pm A question about Post's "tell us a little about yourself" question. Will the response be public when you become a member?
No idea. In my somewhat limited experience joining on-line groups, the answer would be no. But I didn't put anything in that wasn't suitable for an online group bio.
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

I've signed up on Mastodon, @DrConspiracy. I'm on the Mastodon.party server. I got the suggestion from a recent article at The New Yorker.

When I first logged in, they gave me some suggestions on who to follow, including:
  • George Takei
  • Robert Reich
  • God
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

So apparently all the people who signed up for Post by the end of November were sent emails to set up their accounts. Yeah, I didn't get one either.

But a helpful soul on the Twitter posted the following link: click on it and you can set up your account with the email address you used to get on the wait list.

Here's the link: https://t.co/XYoCF5RBjm

It worked!

https://post.news/article/2IhZINvRdIoI0FoboXKYxPBgFMP

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”