Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Twitter Alternatives: The Great Migration

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:42 pm Thanks, Kriselda!!! MarciaBarnes13@toad.social. I have the rainbow horse avatar I have here.
Sure! That avatar is gorgeous, BTW !
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Haven't had time to get into it but saw Marc Elias' tweet with his alternative socials:
Marc E. Elias @marceelias 1h

We appear well on our way to Twitter being the "free-for-all hellscape" that Musk assured us he would avoid. So, before it gets unbearable, please follow/subscribe.

http://post.news/marcelias
http://mas.to/@marcelias
http://democracydocket.com/me-subscribe/
It was actually easy for mas.to, just clicked on the link and signed up. When I looked before, there were tons of servers and it was complex; didn't have time. But with mas.to it was a quick email confirmation and I was in.

After looking at this topic, went to post.news (used one of our FB links) and it's only about #10,000 or so on the waitlist.

There's also Tribel Social: tribel.app.link/okwPIHYCIqb. It was created by Occupy Democrats founder Omar Rivero. They banned MQG already. their Twitter is https://twitter.com/TribelSocial
Tribel @TribelSocial Nov 21
BREAKING: Our statement on why we banned Trumper Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene from @TribelSocial, our pro-democracy Twitter alternative: “Politicians who incited the insurrection and endanger democracy should be de-platformed. Greene is one of them.” RT if you’re with us
Omar Rivero @OmarRiverosays 1h
Founder of @OccupyDemocrats and @TribelSocial. I make memes and tweets accompanied by my dog Simba 🐕. Follow me on Tribel: https://bit.ly/3Mlwa5T!
If you trust Dr. Fauci over Elon Musk, and you don’t give a damn what any Trumper or Musker has to say about it, please RT and follow me on @TribelSocial, a new Twitter alternative I founded where truth and human decency matter!💙

Tribel @TribelSocial
We’re an innovative pro-democracy Twitter alternative that’s free of hatred & fake news. Download our iOS or Android app to join! (it's on desktop too)

Wanted to list these and give an update... it's going to be time for a new username because Orly isn't showing the least bit of gratitude and appreciation for my beautiful tribute to her name. It's crushing. :P So will keep everybody posted.

I'm not planning to stop Twitter anytime soon... falsehoods need to be debunked. Posted this list of T**** #Losers with a h/t to the guy who made it... the MAGAt heads are still exploding with nasty and vile comments. All I posted is a list of names, they went nuts and rage-tweeted. I've been laughing at them. I wouldn't pay to advertise there or for a checkmark or whatever, but seeing what the clowns are ranting about (I have a private list called clowns with many of them to see their impotent rage and wailing) is free and enjoyable.

As an example of how ridiculous they are, they think it's a HUGE DEAL if they can "ratio" the tweet (meaning there are more comments than likes). It's totally irrelevant, but it's all these losers have. So if you have a second to like the tweet it will piss them off further because they won't be able to get that done. :lol: Right now it's 88 loser comments and 81 likes. This is what MAGAts focus on instead of winning elections. As President Obama said, "Please proceed". :P

OrlyLicious 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious Replying to @lgadbery and @ShellenbergerMD
Kari Lake: lost
Lee Zeldin: lost
Leora Levy: lost
Mehmet Oz: lost
Don Bolduc: lost
Tudor Dixon: lost
Adam Laxalt: lost
Kim Crockett: lost
Darren Bailey: lost
Mark Finchem: lost
Blake Masters: lost
Doug Mastriano: lost
Kristina Karamo: lost
Herschel Walker: lost
h/t: @keithedwards
7:19 PM · Dec 10, 2022

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I can now be reached on Mastodon as @rth10260@masto.ai (a German instance, they opened up a couple of additional instances cause the inflow of Twitter refugees was so bigly large).

Note: observer only - I don't intend to interact at this time.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

From downunder I came accross this (local?) Twitter alternative

https://scuttlebutt.nz/
About - Scuttlebutt is a decentralised secure gossip platform.

Like other social platforms, you can send messages to your friends and share posts onto a feed. The cool thing is that the underlying technology here means that messages are passed directly between friends via a peer-to-peer (p2p) gossip protocol.

As a decentralized social network, Scuttlebutt passes the data from friend to friend, without any central server. The data is localised and distributed so it also happens to work offline!

The name, Scuttlebutt, came from sea-slang for gossip. Basically, like a watercooler on a ship, where sailors and pirates go have a yarn.

To learn more check out our talks, articles, documentation or just get started!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Just in case someone was looking for the documentation for Mastadon
What is Mastodon?

Welcome to the Mastodon documentation!

https://docs.joinmastodon.org/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

A crowdfunding host used by Mastadon hosts, among others like Patreon ect
The future is collective

Open Collective is a legal and financial toolbox for grassroots groups. It’s a fundraising + legal status + money management platform for your community. What do you want to do?

https://opencollective.com/
The Mastadon donation link is https://opencollective.com/mastodon
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Mastodon Migration
@mastodonmigration@mastodon.online
Public Service Warning

Mastodon has a very big surge of new users right now. There's no way to tell if it will be sustained, but at this early point it looks similar to Nov 18 when Musk pulled the employee purge.

It is very challenging for system administration to accommodate so many new users. If your server starts to struggle, it is not broken and will get sorted out.

We're all in this together. It's our social network. Be patient. What we are building is amazing.

#twittermigration
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

JJ MacNab @jjmacnab@counter.social
Musk is successfully baiting liberals over and over and over and over. It's his plan. It gets him press and attention. You don't have to take the bait.

You can't shame the shameless, you can't change the narcissist, your engagement just increases his traffic and his street cred with his fellow RW trolls.

He bought the website. He gets to destroy it on a whim. You can't stop that.
1+
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Alan Martello
@amart@hachyderm.io
Mastodon News Sources

General News - US and World

BBC News (World) Bot - @BBCWorld
BBC News Bot - @BBC
CNN Bot - @CNN
CNN Breaking News - @cnnbrk
DW (Deutsche Welle) News Bot - @dwnews_bot
NPR US News Bot - @NPR_USNews
NYTimes Bot - @NYTimes
Reuters Bot - @reuters
Rolling Stone - @RollingStone
The Guardian US Bot - @TheGuardian_us
Wall Street Journal Bot - @wsj
Washington Post Bot - @WashingtonPost

Tech News

Ars Technica - @arstechnica
MacRumors.com - @macrumors
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks, pipi!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

From Jason Kint via Twitter: Journalist Twitter accounts suspended:

(This is a link to a google document so it should update if changed.)
Jim

Post by Jim »

Twitter is a mess, so former employees are creating Spill as an alternative
Today, Terrell and Brown are announcing waitlist signups for Spill, which they describe as "a real-time conversational platform that puts culture first." They expect that the platform will launch in about six to eight weeks.

As Black creatives and technologists working in social media, Terrell and Brown have watched as Black women, queer people and other diverse communities have powered new trends on platforms like Twitter and TikTok, only to be overlooked. In the same way that Black founders are unfairly dismissed in venture capital, Black content creators have had their work stolen and earn fewer brand deals than white creators, studies have shown.

"I think this is really a platform issue," Terrell told TechCrunch."Even before I left Twitter, over the last several months, I was just talking to Black female creators, talking to Black queer creators and I'm like, 'How do you make your money? Is any platform supporting you? Does the idea of Spill interest you?'"

So, it was important to the founders that Spill builds in creator monetization features from the get-go. Spill will use blockchain technology to chart how posts go viral and compensate the creators behind them, but Terrell deliberately refuses to call Spill a web3 company.
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

Mastodon got an article in the Post this morning. Thee Post said that Twitter was marking Mastodon links in tweets as "potentially harmful" and Twitter wouldn't let me tweet mine, although I could tweet my Mastodon name: @DrConspiracy@mstdn.party

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... n-mastodon
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

DrConspiracy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:21 am Mastodon got an article in the Post this morning. Thee Post said that Twitter was marking Mastodon links in tweets as "potentially harmful" and Twitter wouldn't let me tweet mine, although I could tweet my Mastodon name: @DrConspiracy@mstdn.party

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... n-mastodon
The trick I have seen, is to break the link on Twitter with a space. Not sure at what location, so the text scanner misses the actual domain name but users can pick it up visually. Though if Twitter still has advanced programmers, they will know how to ignore the spaces while scanning a post.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I am probably signing up with Mastodon this week if I can figure out the server thing. One reason I decided to hold on to my Twitter account for at least a while is I am not sure if there is an alternative to Tweetdeck. I use it for 99% of my Twitter browsing. Do these other platforms have anything comparable to Tweetdeck?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Reality Check wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:04 am I am probably signing up with Mastodon this week if I can figure out the server thing. One reason I decided to hold on to my Twitter account for at least a while is I am not sure if there is an alternative to Tweetdeck. I use it for 99% of my Twitter browsing. Do these other platforms have anything comparable to Tweetdeck?
I dunno if there's anything in here that helps.

I wonder about ThreadApp.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

WSJ tutorial on how to use Mastodon.

https://www.wsj.com/story/how-to-use-ma ... r-7751455f
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Toots? Honestly? Toots?

Wow, I thought I was joking when I suggested elephant farts, but what is a toot if not a socially acceptable synonym for a fart?

OK, now Frater I*I is gonna bust me because a toot is also a synonym for a snort of cocaine. That's even worse, if we're talking about Mastodon.

Maybe let's ask Mastodon itself:

What is a toot, a fart or a snort of coke? :think:

These are fascinating questions, but Mastodon is decentralized and they won't be able to answer.

So I'm going with farts. A toot is a mastodon fart.

You are most welcome for that vivid mental image. :biggrin:

Edit: 'Course, that explains the funny smell in the Russia Invades Ukraine thread.

Volkonski embedded a toot. :thumbsup:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I signed up for Mastadon the other day and wasn’t asked to choose a server or nothin’. Now I can’t remember if it’s Kate 520 or Phoenix520 but it’s @mastadon.to
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Reality Check wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:04 am I am probably signing up with Mastodon this week if I can figure out the server thing. One reason I decided to hold on to my Twitter account for at least a while is I am not sure if there is an alternative to Tweetdeck. I use it for 99% of my Twitter browsing. Do these other platforms have anything comparable to Tweetdeck?
When you sign up for a Mastadon server it'll ask if you want to download the app. It's a web app that you get, and under the settings, there's a option to used the advanced app. If you select that, it's VERY much like tweetdeck.

As for the servers, there's very little difference in how they function, the main factors for choosing are if you're interested in a specific subtopic - which are usually fairly niche - and server size, which mainly affects how active your local timeline is. You can change servers anytime, and it has a function to let you transfer all of you follows and followers to your new server with you. So you can pretty much just pick one and if you decide to move later, it's, easy, and it will also point anyone searching for you under your original @username@servername to your new one.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:03 pm I signed up for Mastadon the other day and wasn’t asked to choose a server or nothin’. Now I can’t remember if it’s Kate 520 or Phoenix520 but it’s @mastadon.to
It's Phoenix520. Their user search is really nice ;)
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:03 pm I signed up for Mastadon the other day and wasn’t asked to choose a server or nothin’. Now I can’t remember if it’s Kate 520 or Phoenix520 but it’s @mastadon.to
You don't get asked to chose a server cause you make that research for your home server beforehand. Your choice is one out of the many instances, each has its own server and URL, some have a certain subject that members wish to discuss as centerpoint of their local community. After you made that choice is where you sign up for your homebase. The server name will not necessarily remind of the Mastodon software it is running.

Like Foggy could run a Mastodon server with heavyweight discussion of the Birther cosmology while still be connected to the federation of the M platforms. ;)
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I signed up on George Takei's universeodon server. I'm also on Post and using my twitter name on both platforms, @masked_data, and the same peace symbol avatar. Staying on twitter until it grinds to a halt because I'm a stubborn old coot. :oldlady:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah, it’s becoming more entertaining by the day. I see it, though, as a serious attempt to game 2024. I’m not leaving either.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”