Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Twitter Alternatives: The Great Migration

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:22 am I can turn it into your avatar here, if you'd like.

Or you can crop it square and reduce to 125px by 125px, presto.

I really like the new one.
Thanks, and if you could set it up, That'd be great - I don't have much in the way of picture editing tools :mrgreen:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... al-network
At the weekend, Musk briefly banned all links to the rival service and suspended users who tweeted out their Mastodon usernames, but has now admitted the apparent move to prevent Twitter users migrating was an error. “That one was a mistake,” Musk said on a Twitter livestream with a former intern on Tuesday night, adding: “Fucking post Mastodon all goddamn day long, I don’t care. From an evolutionary standpoint, how’d that work out for the mastodons?”

Mozilla, the developer of the popular Firefox browser, seems to disagree with that take, joining the rush to create a presence on the platfrom. On Tuesday it announced it would begin to run a Mastodon “instance”, one of the decentralised servers upon which the social network rests.

“Our intention is to contribute to the healthy and sustainable growth of a federated social space that doesn’t just operate but thrives on its own terms, independent of profit- and control-motivated tech firms,” said Steve Teixeira, chief product officer at Mozilla, which is owned by an non-profit foundation.

“We’re living through the consequences of 20 years of centralised, corporate-controlled social media, with a small oligopoly of large tech firms tightening their grip on the public square,” he added. “In private hands, our choice is limited, toxicity is rewarded, rage is called engagement, public trust is corroded, and basic human decency is often an afterthought. Getting from the internet we have to the internet we want will be a heavy lift.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Mastodon founder says investors lining up since Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover
Eugen Rochko has ‘offers of hundreds of thousands of dollars’ from Silicon Valley private equity firms

Dan Milmo Global technology editor
Wed 28 Dec 2022 16.47 GMT

The founder of Mastodon has said he has rejected approaches from more than five US-based investors, as the Twitter rival grows in popularity after Elon Musk’s chaotic debut as a social media owner.

Eugen Rochko, who launched the open-source social network in 2016, told the Financial Times he had received the offers from Silicon Valley private equity firms to put “hundreds of thousands of dollars” into the product.

The popularity of Mastodon has surged since the $44bn acquisition of Twitter by Musk in October. Rochko said last week that Mastodon had jumped from 300,000 monthly active users to 2.5 million after the Twitter deal, which has seen Musk reinstate banned accounts such as Donald Trump’s and temporarily suspend journalists at publications including the New York Times and Washington Post.

Rochko, a German software developer, told the FT his platform’s status as a non-profit organisation was “untouchable” and its independence was part of its appeal to users. Mastodon has more than 9,200 patrons on Patreon, the online membership service, who are contributing more than £28,000 a month to the platform between them.

“Mastodon will not turn into everything you hate about Twitter,” he said. “The fact that it can be sold to a controversial billionaire, the fact that it can be shut down, go bankrupt and so on. It’s the difference in paradigms [between the platforms].”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... r-takeover
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Refreshing.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I've got to get on there...eventually. For now, Post is nice and casual, lots of fur babies and just enough politics to amuse me.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mastodon has become quite useful as more and more MSM organizations and journalists have started posting there. :biggrin:

Local news sources are taking longer to get on Mastodon but I hope they will. Meanwhile Google News and Facebook keep me in touch with Texoma and the North Fork. :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Post.news feels like the unfortunate result of a drunken night between Twitter and Facebook.

https://mastodon.social/@scottjshapiro/ ... 2540267348
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Happy New Year, Mastodon.

Toot! Toot!

https://booktoot.social/@beach/109614208377395134
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Some Tricks To Making Mastodon Way More Useful
(Mis)Uses of Technology
from the a-non-beginners-guide dept

Thu, Dec 29th 2022 10:53am -
Mike Masnick

It’s been interesting to watch over the last few months as tons of people have migrated from Twitter to Mastodon (or similar compatible ActivityPub-based social media platforms). I’ve noticed, however, that some people keep running into the same issues and challenges as they discover that Mastodon is different than what they’re used to with Twitter. There are a few tips and tricks I’ve been sharing with various people that seemed pretty broadly applicable, so I figured it was worth doing a post laying them out.

A couple of quick things to note: these are unlikely to be universal. It’s just a few of the things that I’ve found that take the Mastodon experience to a new, better, more useful level. In other words, yes, this is highly subjective. Also, some of the tools I’m discussing are relatively new, often developed by users who saw the need and decided to build something (again, this is something that’s nice about the open platform that enables anyone to see something that they feel can be improved… and improve it). This also means that it’s highly likely that there will be even more of these kinds of tools and add-ons from others in the near future, and they may surpass most of the suggestions here. This isn’t meant to be a comprehensive list.

Separately, there are a million “how to get started with Mastodon” posts and articles out there. If you’re brand new to Mastodon, I highly recommend checking those out first to get the basics down. This post is more about taking your Mastodoning to a new level. Perhaps the most comprehensive guide is found at Fedi.tips. A few other good beginner posts are Adam Field’s post on Medium, Dell Cameron’s guide at Gizmodo, Tamilore Oladipo’s guide at Buffer, Amanda Silberling’s guide at TechCrunch, and, finally, Noelle’s wonderful GuideToMastodon.com, which kicks off with the same advice I’ve given tons of people: DON’T PANIC. You’ll figure it out. Lots of people have and so will you.

All of those should give you a pretty good basis for understanding Mastodon, and (in particular) some of its differences from Twitter, which seem to be the things that trip people up the most.

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/12/29/som ... re-useful/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

A newer Mastadon instance where MSM are starting to gather, currently a bit Europe-centric by brands.

Mastodon instance dedicated to professionnal and independant medias/non-profit organisation
Use the Local button to see content.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

opinion piece
Back to the future: how Mastodon is restoring the lost art of online conversation
The new social network and its interconnected ‘fediverse’ is a welcome alternative to blustering rival Twitter and Elon Musk

John Naughton
Sat 21 Jan 2023 16.00 GMT

When Twitter first appeared in July 2006, I was enchanted by it. At one point, some geek created an app that logged tweets and geolocated them in real time on a map of the world, so you could watch little dots popping up all over the globe. (I even made a short video recording of my screen and set it to music, but didn’t put it online because I didn’t own the music rights, and now I can’t find it. Sigh – such is digital life.)

What I loved about Twitter at the beginning was that it enabled you to plug into the thought streams of people you liked or admired. Like all good things, though, that came to an end when the platform embarked on the algorithmic curation of users’ feeds to increase “engagement” (and, it hoped, profits). And from then on, it became increasingly tiresome, though I kept my account. But when it became clear that Elon Musk was going to buy the platform – and wreak havoc – I decided to explore possible alternatives.

Like many other people, my gaze alighted on Mastodon as a possible refuge from the Musk-induced madness. After all, it offered its users the same kind of microblogging facilities. But there the similarities ended. Twitter is a single site. Mastodon, in contrast, is a protocol – “a system of rules for spinning up your own social network that can also interact with any other following the same code”. So whereas Twitter is a universe, Mastodon is what has come to be called a “fediverse” – that is, a decentralised network made up of a large number of semi-independent nodes, or as one observer put it: “A distributed network of Twitter-like services.”

That sounds intimidating, but in reality, it’s relatively straightforward. Joining Twitter involves just signing up on twitter.com; but to become a Mastodon user, you have to sign up to one of those semi-independent nodes. They’re basically just servers run by individuals or groups, and Mastodon helpfully provides a list of ones that you might consider joining. Once in, your identity is linked to the server on which you have an account. So if you’ve chosen the username “vici” on the server arsenalfc.social, then your username will be @vici@arsenalfc.social. And you can follow any other Mastodon user, no matter what server they happen to be on.

more https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nversation
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I went with Post instead of Mastadon. I feel like I'm stuck in Beta while the rest of the world is going VHS.

(Post is just so easy. I don't yet have time to figure out Mastadon, but I'll get there...eventually...probably.)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

As of right now, my “Following” option on Twitter is gone…
Just the “For You” ( yuck)
I still have my lists.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:17 am I went with Post instead of Mastadon. I feel like I'm stuck in Beta while the rest of the world is going VHS.

(Post is just so easy. I don't yet have time to figure out Mastadon, but I'll get there...eventually...probably.)
Mastodon isn't really that hard. You can pretty much pick any serve as your "local" server. From there, you can read your "home" feed, which is everyone you follow, your "local" feed, which is everyone on your particular server (also called an "instance") and the "federated" or "global" feed which is everyone from all feeds combined.

The only issue to picking a server is if you want a more generalized one or something on a more specific topic. Usually it's best to start with a general one and then see what servers you find as you read through stuff, and move to a new one if you find something you think you'd like.

It sounds more complicated than it is. It only took me a day or two to get it figured out and find a server I wanted to join.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I understand that there is a Mastadon feature that lets you migrate your account from one imstance to another if you find your original choice of local content provider was not what expected, no need to set all details from scratch.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, apparently I can only search for people on my own instance (mastdn.party), and you simply can not do a Mastodon-wide search.

And without following anyone, your home page just sits there.

And Federated is a firehose, it streams past so fast in so many languages it's unusable.

And I am the leader of the Grumpy People usergroup for some odd reason. :?

But I'm not grumping about that, just everything else.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trying going to Explore and searching. I find that works well.
Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:00 pm Yeah, apparently I can only search for people on my own instance (mastdn.party), and you simply can not do a Mastodon-wide search.

And Federated is a firehose, it streams past so fast in so many languages it's unusable.

And I am the leader of the Grumpy People usergroup for some odd reason. :?

But I'm not grumping about that, just everything else.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:00 pm Yeah, apparently I can only search for people on my own instance (mastdn.party), and you simply can not do a Mastodon-wide search.
Yeah you can - I've found a number of people that way. You can search by @name, if you know it, or If you don't have their @name, you can enter their name or what you think they may be using as a handle, and it'll search for anyone with that as a name or partial name on all servers.

Just to verify, I went to my @Pagan.Plus account since I know you're not a member there, and just entered "bill bryan" and your @Bill_Bryan@mstdn.party account showed up. Searching for "Foggy" turned up 10 people with "Foggy" as or as part of their username.

Which client are you using? I just use the web app, I've found it tends to work better than any of the others, and if you use the advanced version (which you turn on by clicking a box on your account page) you can get a Tweetdeck-like layout.
Local is the one I use most - it gives me everything on my instance/server and enough boosts from those yousers tomfind other interesting people to follow,
Can't argue with that one!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:42 am I understand that there is a Mastadon feature that lets you migrate your account from one imstance to another if you find your original choice of local content provider was not what expected, no need to set all details from scratch.
Yep, and it works beautifully - I've used it before. It's a fairly simple process with good instructions and took less than t min to be et up on my new instance.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I've used Tweetbot - a 3rd party Twitter app - on my iPad and iPhone for quite a while. (Note: The older free version, not the newer subscription version.) I really liked it. When Musk disabled all the 3rd party Twitter apps, Tapbots (the creator of Tweetbot) sped up their development of Ivory, a Mastodon app they had been working on. With the demise of Tweetbot, Tapbots has now released a 1.0 version of Ivory. A couple of articles talking about Ivory - Tweetbot Developer Tapbots Launches 'Ivory' App for Mastodon and Ivory for Mastodon Review: Tapbots Reborn. So it's a work in process, but it certainly sounds like something to check out if you are starting to use Mastodon.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

What to know about Bluesky, as Dril and AOC join the new Twitter alternative
A new option for people interested in leaving Twitter has big names and minimal features.

By Kelsey Ables and Heather Kelly
Updated April 28, 2023 at 1:09 p.m. EDT|Published April 28, 2023 at 4:07 a.m. EDT

Prominent Twitter users Dril, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Chrissy Teigen have found somewhere new to share their musings online. They’re joining Bluesky, the latest social media platform touted as a possible alternative to Elon Musk’s struggling site.

Musk took over Twitter in October, and in the months since, it has been riddled with glitches and changes, frustrating people who say the site now has a different feel. Many apps have tried to fill the gap — Mastodon being the most successful so far — but Bluesky seems to be the first to come close to striking Twitter’s offbeat tone. As more Twitter users flocked to Bluesky on Thursday, one account likened them to a group of people who “miraculously survived a plane crash together.”

Bluesky, in fact, could be Twitter’s doppelganger, its posts sound a lot like tweets, and at least for the time being, many people seem to be using it mostly to poke fun at the social media giant.

Here’s what to know about the latest buzzy social network.

WHAT TO KNOW
What is Bluesky?
Is Bluesky owned by Twitter?
Who is on Bluesky?
How can I join Bluesky?
How is it different from Twitter?
Are there other Twitter alternatives?

Follow the link for details of What To Know
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... -dril-aoc/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

New guy in the block looking to play the Twitter game:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:04 am https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status ... 4356714496

New York Times Pitchbot
@DougJBalloon
In the future, every Twitter alternative will be popular for 15 minutes.
That is truth and why I am hanging back until all this crazy figures out what it is doing before fudging around.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am just waiting for some techbro to reinvent usenet but not know enough computer history to remember it.

Tech really seems to go in cycles, with new devs who fetishize NOT learning from the past reinventing things over and over... there are a whole bunch of technologies in the 'nets dustbin that could probably be good starting points. Usenet+RSS+AWS ....

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”