Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Alternate methods of voting - and counting the votes

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

humblescribe wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:11 pm Are Swiss ballots only in German?

What about those near Italy or France who speak other languages? From my history classes decades ago, I recall learning that Switzerland has three languages spoken among its citizens.

I think here in California ballot materials are available in a number of languages besides English.
The ballots themselves are not multilingual in general. They are in the respective language spoken in the region (canton). The cantons along the laguage divide will have bilingual prints, or a choice as wished by the voter. This concerns especially Berne and Valais with French and German speaking areas, as also Grison with its 4th Swiss language Rumantsch.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:27 pm The idea of different colored paper for different races is fine, but I had well over forty on my ballot. It doesn’t scale.
In Oz, and I'm pretty sure the UK as well, they have one election at a time. Feds and State and Local are different days, years even. Local is 100% vote by mail in Victoria.

Tomorrow is polling day for Victorian State Election. SWMBO prevoted last week. Two colored papers, one for House, one for Senate.

Voting is not mandatory in Oz. Attendance at polling station to get your name checked off is mandatory. (absentee satisfies this)
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

keith wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:26 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:27 pm The idea of different colored paper for different races is fine, but I had well over forty on my ballot. It doesn’t scale.
In Oz, and I'm pretty sure the UK as well, they have one election at a time.
Based on a long ago chat with a poll worker, I don't think that's correct for the UK. If local elections coincide with general (national) elections (iirc) they use different colored papers. And Scotland and Wales have simultaneous votes for a constituency representative (a person) and a party in the multi-constituency region (for a pseudo-proportional adjustment) for their national governments. And they elect some mayors and a few commissioners.

But they don't have many referendums nor do they elect dog catchers, judges, etc.

So it's easy with multiple papers, probably no more than 3, probabily different pastel colors for speedy sorting at the count.

And general elections are called by the governing party to best suit their own aims, or if they lose a vote of confidence, not according to a fixed timetable.

Others may correct my hazy knowledge!
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

It’s pretty much the same in Canada. One election at a time with one ballot where you mark one box. Federal, provincial, and municipal elections are held at different times (even different years). In municipal elections, you vote for several more people like city councillors, school board members, etc., but not for all the positions as in American elections.

I’ve never had to vote for a referendum. In Canada, if you say The Referendum, most people will think of the vote on whether Quebec should separate from Canada in 1995.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I remember the Referendum. That’s the first time I voted in Canada. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

jemcanada2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:52 am It’s pretty much the same in Canada. One election at a time with one ballot where you mark one box. Federal, provincial, and municipal elections are held at different times (even different years). In municipal elections, you vote for several more people like city councillors, school board members, etc., but not for all the positions as in American elections.

I’ve never had to vote for a referendum. In Canada, if you say The Referendum, most people will think of the vote on whether Quebec should separate from Canada in 1995.
Actually, we do not have every election on one day every year, at least not in the states where I have lived. Often times, local elections tended to be in an off year (no federal or state level elections) and school elections were all over the place though Michigan limited elections to 4 election days a year, to cut down on expense. When I lived in Michigan, most school board elections were done in the spring.

We also have primary's held earlier, which, in some cases, are bigger than the eventual general.

In my county, we currently have:
Even Numbered Year Elections
General Primary: Third Tuesday in March
- Nomination of Federal, State, and County candidates by an established political party
General Election: First Tuesday after the First Monday in November
- Election of Federal, State, and County officials

Odd Numbered Year Elections
Consolidated Primary: Last Tuesday in February
- Nomination of Township and Municipal Candidates
Consolidated Election: First Tuesday in April
- Election of Township, Municipal, Park District, Library District, School District, and Fire District officials
In 2022, besides the Federal and State legislatures, we have 5 state positions, North Shore Water Reclemation District and for the county:

Clerk, Treasurer, Sheriff, Regional Superintendent, and your local county board member. It think other county positions like coroner shows up on the other even years.

And then a whole bunch of Judicial stuff.

In the off year, held in April we have village positions, township position, park districts, library districts, school districts (which for most are actually an Elementary and a High School district which is stupid that they are separate), community colleges, sometimes fire protection or some other water district, maybe a drainage person, etc.

It fills up a ballot fast.

And at least 3 referenda.

Michigan also has voting for the boards of MSU, UofM, and Wayne State University.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

That’s just too much freedom. Freedom overload.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:32 am I remember the Referendum. That’s the first time I voted in Canada. :biggrin:
Could you understand the question? :lol: :lol:

Apparently most people didn’t know if they were supposed to vote yes or no since the question was so convoluted! :lol: :lol:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:31 am That’s just too much freedom. Freedom overload.
Agreed!! My head would spin! :cantlook:

We don’t vote in primaries or have elections for all those positions. Most people are hired or appointed to these positions.

Municipal elections are held on a schedule. For Federal and Provincial elections, the ruling party decides when to dissolve parliament and hold an election. It has to happen within 5 years but there’s no set schedule for when general elections are held.
And we don’t have Midterm elections. Some special elections occur sometimes.

Everything happens so fast for elections as well. An election is held within a few months. If the Prime Minister’s party loses the election, they’re gone the next day and moved out of Rideau Hall. And then Parliament begins again right away with the new MPs.

Return to “Current Politics”