Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

FIFA World Cup 2022

mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by mojosapien »

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Foggy »

I have played gridiron and I have played association football.

And while I deplore the influence of Tee Vee on the game, the plain truth is that when you wake up on Sunday morning in the United States of America on a crisp autumn day, there's nothing more fun and exhilarating than to go play touch football, gridiron style, with a group of friends for a few hours.

No, we didn't sit for half the game. We just played, and played, and played. No commercials. No timeouts. No clock. Just play.

It was magical, and every one of us knew the game of association football too also, we'd just rather not, thank you very much. :nope:

And football is the name of the ball. It doesn't mean you have to play using only your feet, like you forgot to evolve arms or sumpin'. :roll: The other ball is called a soccer ball, just as Keith explained.

I mean, we really do have arms. Those long things attached to your shoulders. You might as well use them to play football, it's a much better game! :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
humblescribe
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by humblescribe »

Gonna swim against the tide here.

I flat out do not understand association football/soccer. I have tried; I have failed.

There is no clock, except whatever is on the referee's wrist. There is no communication of bonus time for injuries or other delays in the game. How are the fans and those watching at home supposed to know when each half is over and when the bonus time expires?

The offsides rule is weird. I fully understand the concept of offsides. But I think a line a certain distance from the goal line is better (as with the blue line in ice hockey) would make for more exciting offense. As long as the ball precedes any attacking player across the line, everyone is onside until the ball crosses this line and back into the neutral zone. The current rule can lead to confusion and can easily be missed by a linesman.

Throw-ins from the corner are also weird. One player with the ball and a horde of players jockeying for position in front of the net. (Which takes me back to offsides: Why is the player in the corner with the ball not offsides, since every defender is behind him? :bored: )

There should be a little more scoring in the game. Nil-nil and 1-0 games are far too common. Ninety-plus minutes of play result in six shots on net and one goal is not my idea of excitement. There should be more chances (see my offsides comment above) for breakaways and 2 on 1 opportunities if the defense pinches in too deep in the attacking zone and loses the ball.

The World Cup is the pinnacle of this competition. Settle tie games the same way the game is played. After a 30-minute extra period for a tie game, play 30-minute sudden death periods until a goal is scored. If they want shoot outs for the global qualification, fine. They play a bunch of games. But once the field of 32 teams starts play, keep playing until a winning goal is scored from the field.

Last, if it takes a three-year period of many, many qualifying games to make the World Cup for your geographical zone, then there should be a lot more play-in games to determine the round of 16. Three games are insufficient, plus too many ties are settled with goal differential (What if every game ends in a 0-0 tie? Then what happens?) I suggest a ten-game qualifier: Three games in your group followed by four games in your sister group then winding up with three games in your group. Award two points for a win and one point for the loser if the game goes to sudden death. Then make the round of 16 a double-elimination tournament.

In some respects, association football resembles gridiron football from the 20s to 40s. Run the ball three times into the line and punt. Final score, 7-6, as the loser did not convert the try after they scored their lone touchdown.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
mojosapien
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by mojosapien »

I know "fútbol" is a hard concept for Americans to accept.

Sorry. A kick-off and occasional field goal attempts isn't football. And then they sit on the sideline as commercials run for 50% of the game time. (which is the reason fútbol is not played here on a pro level).

But, you create a great number of Herschel Walkers, America! Brain damaged. :clap:

It's actually a very good game, but there is not enough money in it. (unless you are FIFA)

France vs England...
mojosapien
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by mojosapien »

France
Sam the Centipede

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Sam the Centipede »

On grid-irony football - never played it, watched a bit. It amuses me that a game calling itself "football" includes this rule (from the NFL rulebook):
No player may deliberately kick a loose ball or a ball that is in a player’s possession.
So it's a version of football where it's generally illegal for players to kick the ball!

That doesn't apply in any other football code that I can think of: association, rugby league, rugby union, Australian rules, gaelic, where all players can kick the ball freely.
Volkonski
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

Saw story headline and was first going... "those cats are still around from the 80?s".
John Thomas8

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by John Thomas8 »

England vs Argentina, kinda awkward if it had happened?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by keith »

mojosapien wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:00 pm :snippity:

(which is the reason fútbol is not played here on a pro level).

:snippity:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the word 'here' in your sentence. Where exactly are you claiming that 'futbol' (I assume you are referring to Association Football) is not played as a pro sport?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Sam the Centipede

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Sam the Centipede »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:09 pm England vs Argentina, kinda awkward if it had happened?
?? Why? I don't think the UK has a problem with Argentina these days – they import Argentinian wine and presumably other agricultural products. The Argentina national rugby union team tours the UK and UK national teams (England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland*) tour Argentina.

Or are you alluding to something I have missed?

* Yes, yes, yes, I know Ireland isn't in the UK. The Ireland rugby union team is an All-Ireland team with players from both Northern Ireland (UK) and the Republic of Ireland (definitely not UK).
John Thomas8

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by John Thomas8 »

Doesn't seem so, at least 8 years ago:

Was it staged? I don't know.
neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

THE BIG DAY is finally here!

Gonna be watching?

IT ONLY HAPPENS once every FOUR YEARS. YOU GOTTA FEEL SOMETHING, sports fans.
What are you gonna watching instead... GOLF?
mojosapien
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by mojosapien »

Bill Belichick gets to take the field before the Big Game - yes, he can coach Croatia now...hehehe
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by raison de arizona »

Was confused about the start time and got up at the butt crack of dawn to watch the pregame. Wasn’t disappointed though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My brother, Dan, was a soccer referee for several years here in Arkansas. He is addicted to the World Cup.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
mojosapien
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by mojosapien »

I hear human talk downstairs which reminds me of a recent Ray Davies tune... :whistle:
neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

Argentina 1-0 France

KEEP GOING Argentina
neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

2-0 for Argentina

GO GO GO

neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

Gosh, they tied it up now.

Darn it, you Frenchmen.
How has this happened? The French have come from nowhere to tie the game.

The masses of Argentine fans have been stunned into silence. The French supporters behind the goal that Mbappé scored in twice are going absolutely bonkers.

Just a short time ago, a 2-0 deficit seemed insurmountable for France. They only took their first shot in the 71st minute.

Now we're even at 2-2, and the outnumbered French contingent in the stands can dream once again of a back-to-back World Cup title
Phoenix520
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Phoenix520 »

Eating breakfast at the 29Palms Inn this morning. Just me, the mr and 6 Italian tourist. The tourists have set a phone up at their table to watch the final match.

Argentina!!! All smiles.
Volkonski
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Volkonski »

What an exciting game!!!! :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by neonzx »

Argentina wins the 2022 World Cup in an instant-classic
It took 90 minutes of regulation, 30 minutes of extra time and a penalty kick shootout to decide it — but Argentina is the 2022 World Cup champion.

It was the two superstars who stepped up first for their sides in the shootout. France kicked first and Kylian Mbappé, who had a hat trick in the game, blasted it by Argentina's Emiliano Martínez.

Next up was the legend. Lionel Messi approached the spot and calmly rolled one in to tie it up.

That tit for tat exchange was fitting for a match where each side's talisman turned in an inspired performance.

But after that, France missed their next two attempts to give Argentina a big advantage. And after Gonzalo Montiel made it four in a row for Argentina, it was over.
Volkonski
Verified:

FIFA World Cup 2022

Post by Volkonski »

World News Feeds 🇺🇦
@newz
Kylian Mbappe wins World Cup Golden Boot award, beating Messi https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2022/12/1

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”