Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Photography

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Photography

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

COOOOOOOL!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Photography

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Lost’ photos by Paul McCartney to go on show at National Portrait Gallery
Recently rediscovered portraits taken in 60s as Beatles rose to stardom to be focus of exhibition at refurbished NPG

Harriet Sherwood Arts and culture correspondent
Wed 25 Jan 2023 12.49 GMT

Unseen portraits taken by Paul McCartney in the early 1960s as the Beatles were catapulted to international stardom will go on show at the refurbished National Portrait Gallery in the summer.

McCartney thought the photographs, taken between December 1963 and February 1964, had been lost, but he recently rediscovered them.

The exhibition, Paul McCartney Photographs 1963-64: Eyes of the Storm, “will provide a uniquely personal perspective on what it was like to be a Beatle at the start of Beatlemania,” said Nicholas Cullinan, the NPG’s director.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... exhibition
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Photography

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:24 pm
As well as still images, some of our photographers also use film ...

Just kidding, folks. Nobody uses film anymore.

They mean video, of course. There's a difference.
There is (or was before Covid probably killed it) a contest in Australia for short 16mm films edited "in the camera" and shot over a very brief interval. Each film had to incorporate a particular element that was only announced at the last minute. One year the surprise element might be, I dunno, a cabbage, or a conveyor belt, or something. So the film makers had to write their script, plan their shoot, gather their actors, rehearse everything, and then at the last minute figure out how to incorporate the surprise element, then turn over the exposed film for development, judging, and exhibition.

Some of the results were great, some not so great, but all fun for the filmmakers. Haven't been to the presentations for a while, I hope it comes back.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Photography

Post by AndyinPA »

National Geographic Traveller Photography Awards 2023

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/gall ... he-winners

Varied photos.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Photography

Post by RTH10260 »

Photographer admits prize-winning image was AI-generated
German artist Boris Eldagsen says entry to Sony world photography awards was designed to provoke debate

JamieGrierson
Mon 17 Apr 2023 17.49 BST

A photographer is refusing a prestigious award after admitting to being a “cheeky monkey” and generating the prize-winning image using artificial intelligence.

The German artist Boris Eldagsen revealed on his website that he was not accepting the prize for the creative open category, which he won at last week’s Sony world photography awards.

The winning photograph depicted two women from different generations in black and white.

In a statement on his website, Eldagsen, who studied photography and visual arts at the Art Academy of Mainz, conceptual art and intermedia at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague, and fine art at the Sarojini Naidu School of Arts and Communication in Hyderabad, said he “applied as a cheeky monkey” to find out if competitions would be prepared for AI images to enter. “They are not,” he added.

“We, the photo world, need an open discussion,” said Eldagsen. “A discussion about what we want to consider photography and what not. Is the umbrella of photography large enough to invite AI images to enter – or would this be a mistake?

“With my refusal of the award I hope to speed up this debate.”

He said this was a “historic moment” as it was the first time an AI image had won a prestigious international photography competition, adding: “How many of you knew or suspected that it was AI generated? Something about this doesn’t feel right, does it?

“AI images and photography should not compete with each other in an award like this. They are different entities. AI is not photography. Therefore I will not accept the award.”

Eldagsen suggested donating the prize to a photo festival hosted in Odesa, Ukraine.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -generated
RTH10260

Photography

Post by RTH10260 »

Some of the oldest photos you will ever see

Kings and Things
15 May 2023

In the spring of 1842, a wealthy scholar and artist called Joseph-Philibert Girault de Prangey embarked on a grand tour of the Eastern Mediterranean. With the use of his camera, a technology that had been released to the public just three years before, he documented the local sites and people, and created a collection of photos that in many cases are the earliest to survive of the countries depicted. In this video, we’ll use Girault de Prangey’s collection of photographs to retrace his journey, and discover the world of the Eastern Mediterranean as it looked almost two hundred years ago.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Photography

Post by Slim Cognito »

https://wapo.st/3qmb3tg

I did this from my phone so I hope this is a guest link. It tells the story behind this photo, which I fell in love with immediately. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll mosey over to the laptop.
Screenshot_20230603-074404.png
Screenshot_20230603-074404.png (479.42 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Photography

Post by Flatpoint High »

Phone photography shot on my way to work at the Best Buy at the
Bronx Terminal.
IMG_2750.JPG
IMG_2750.JPG (320.52 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

Brava!!!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Photography

Post by northland10 »

Flatpoint High wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:31 pm Phone photography shot on my way to work at the Best Buy at the
Bronx Terminal.
IMG_2750.JPG
:clap:
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Photography

Post by Foggy »

That's a relatively wealthy homeless person, two rolling carts for all the stuff.

When I was homeless in California, I could carry everything I owned in my backpack. :blackeye:

Can't see what's on the pants. :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Photography

Post by Flatpoint High »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:02 am That's a relatively wealthy homeless person, two rolling carts for all the stuff.

When I was homeless in California, I could carry everything I owned in my backpack. :blackeye:

Can't see what's on the pants. :confuzzled:
when I was homeless here in nyc, I had a Samsonite rolling "trunk" and a timbuk2 messenger bag. I still have the bag. the homeless here sometimes have shit ton of stuff to drag around. Like I've seen folks with 15 shopping totes
castigat ridendo mores.
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Photography

Post by Flatpoint High »

Siren
IMG_2057.JPG
IMG_2057.JPG (412.41 KiB) Viewed 953 times
castigat ridendo mores.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

Cooool!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Photography

Post by Slim Cognito »

How nice!
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Photography

Post by RTH10260 »

The 2023 Comedy Pet Photography awards – in pictures

Shortlisted entries for the 2023 Comedy Pet Photography awards. The competition was created by professional photographers Paul Joynson-Hicks and Tom Sullam to celebrate the positive and vital role that pets have in our lives and to encourage engagement around animal welfare

Fri 14 Jul 2023 07.00 BST

yes - there are pics at the link https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures
Lani

Photography

Post by Lani »

Thanks! I needed it!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RVInit

Photography

Post by RVInit »

Lani wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:03 am Thanks! I needed it!
:yeahthat:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Photography

Post by RTH10260 »

Insects in flight | 11 incredible species in SLOW MOTION

Ant Lab
2020 30 Dec
Takeoff and flight sequences of insects spanning 5 different taxonomic orders captured at 3,200 fps!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

Cooool!
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Photography

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Sunrise.jpg
Sunrise.jpg (193.18 KiB) Viewed 605 times
A quick shot I took from the patio with my cell phone this morning. Sadly, it lacks detail but the scene was changing quickly and clouds were about to blot out the sun so I didn't have time to grab my DSLR.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

:lovestruck:
RVInit

Photography

Post by RVInit »

The insect video was great, really enjoyed that. Shizzle Popped photo is gorgeous, detail or not. Just gorgeous. We don't get to see that down here in Florida, the closest we have are the Red Maples, which do give us some color. But it's rare to find areas with enough of them for any kind of spectacular display in recent years.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Photography

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely color in the trees. I look out my front and back windows to the same kind of thing. It's been rainy and windy, and the leaves are really falling, but I'm hoping it will last another week. We will have our first frost tonight, so that will add to it. It has been a lovely fall with lots of nice color.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”