Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Photography

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Photography

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Coooooooooolllll! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

https://mymodernmet.com/wiebke-haas-equine-photography
Photographer Captures the Wild Beauty and Elegance of Horses

equine models comes with its own set of challenges, as one attempts to communicate the intrinsic grace and beauty of these large, flighty beasts. German photographer Wiebke Haas tweaked the art of animal photography for years, and now consistently produces stunning photographs of magnificent animals. Haas decided early in life that she wanted to find something that combined creativity with her love for animals and went on to study to become a certified wildlife photographer.

After working for years in the field, she has gained some insight on how to get the best from her equine models, (which she explains in full on her 500px page). She recommends using a lens that starts at 135mm at minimum, combined with a fast camera that has a fine sensor. Getting to know the breed of horse (or animal) that you are working with helps in terms of creating clean lines and compositions that really extract the beauty of each individual animal. Slowly working to integrate them into the studio area helps to facilitate ease, and a comfortable animal provides the best shots. Finally, be prepared to be flexible and shift your position around the animal, and always be patient when using a non-human model.

Haas feels that when we look at animals we see bits of ourselves, constantly comparing their behaviours and characteristics with our own. Her powerful equine portraits have the uncanny ability to communicate the power, beauty and even silliness of these animals.
ct43tLieWSPVwyyHvhU1_haasequinephoto17.jpg
ct43tLieWSPVwyyHvhU1_haasequinephoto17.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Photography

Post by AndyinPA »

Whoa!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Photography

Post by RTH10260 »

Cause I stumbled over their website:

MAGNUM Photos
Who are we?

Magnum is a cooperative of photographers based around the world. As well as still images, some of our photographers also use film, writing, and other art forms. We are a community who practice independently, share ideas, and sometimes create work together. Whilst the organisation traditionally centred around offices in Paris, New York and London, nominees in the last decade came from 20 different countries including Turkey, Iran, South Africa, Mexico, India, USA, Singapore, Tunisia, and Spain.

What does that mean? What is a cooperative?

Magnum is owned by its members, who become shareholders in the company once they are elected to full membership. There are 44 members today who engage in the organisation a democratic way: we have debates and also disagreements about how things should be done, and we take votes on key issues. There are many different voices and ideas within the group and we have discussions across generations, across cultures, and across different photographic ideals. We also rotate the board and leadership roles of the President and Vice-Presidents, which are voted on at our Annual General Meeting (AGM) each June.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Photography

Post by Foggy »

As well as still images, some of our photographers also use film ...

Just kidding, folks. Nobody uses film anymore.

They mean video, of course. There's a difference.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Photography

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:24 pm

My husband uses film in his camera. He even takes it to the camera store to have it developed.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Photography

Post by Foggy »

Wait, they said "stills" and (too) also "film".

I believe your husband uses film in his camera, of course, but I think he's taking still shots, amirite? Whereas this writer means "film" for motion pictures. Which could get REALLY expensive.

But now I'm curious, because the film in cameras for still photography is vastly inferior to the digital cameras today. What's your husband's reasoning for choosing film, if he doesn't mind sharing?
pipistrelle

Photography

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:24 pm

You could be surprised by how many photographers use film.
sugar magnolia

Photography

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:52 pm Wait, they said "stills" and (too) also "film".

I believe your husband uses film in his camera, of course, but I think he's taking still shots, amirite? Whereas this writer means "film" for motion pictures. Which could get REALLY expensive.

But now I'm curious, because the film in cameras for still photography is vastly inferior to the digital cameras today. What's your husband's reasoning for choosing film, if he doesn't mind sharing?
He has digital cameras too, but all the hooha around film cameras seem to appeal to him for some unknown reason. He also won't order film on-line or send it off to be developed. Lots of driving around and spending too much as far as I'm concerned but it isn't my thing so I just ignore it. His "eye" for photos is also vastly different than mine so I don't actually pay much attention to his. Think 40' tree with people standing in front of it. He gets the entire tree but cuts off the feet.
Danraft

Photography

Post by Danraft »

I am a bit of a photographer (total amateur) who has had to do a lot of food shots and likes doing nature shots. Never much into portraits or people. Some sports photography and videography.

I’m currently wanting 2 cameras… on my wish list.
-the Nikon CoolPix P1000 which has 125 optical zoom
-the Sony RX10 IV. An older camera with amazing focus and true camera geek qualities—25x Zoom

My new iPhone has damn good cameras and so the RX10 IV’s assets are slightly devalued, which makes that standout 125x optical zoom feature more unique.

First world problems, eh?
Chilidog

Photography

Post by Chilidog »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:52 pm
I prefer film because I like using older camera systems and lenses. I develop my own B&W film, then scan the ngatives. Film responds differently to light than a digital sensor.

Also, the nature of film forces you to slow down and take your time to properly compose your shot. Any monkey can point an autofocus, auto exposure digital camera at a subject and take 100 images with the hope that one will be ok. It takes practice and skill to make one shot work using a 60 year old camera.

I also do pinhole photography, which is easier using film.
D4F85E0E-1544-4829-856E-1E9B55505966.jpeg
D4F85E0E-1544-4829-856E-1E9B55505966.jpeg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Photography

Post by Foggy »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:36 pm You could be surprised by how many photographers use film.

Again, the writer I quoted was clearly using the word film instead of video. He was NOT talking about still photography when he said film.

That's what he meant, and he made a crystal clear distinction between still photography and film.

So when I said nobody uses film, I meant nobody uses film in movie cameras. :doh: That was a correct response to his use of the word film.

So, umm ... yeah. What I said is correct - nobody uses film in movie cameras, it's just too damned expensive and you get better color and focus with digital cameras.

And yes, a lot of people use film for still photography, which is irrelevant to what I said.

And meant.

I'm glad we were able to straighten it out. :mrgreen:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Photography

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Sorry, honestly, this is a weird thing I think about because I'm still adjusting to the 21st century, and I have to focus to say video when I want to say film.

I hear the new Avatar is a good film. :doh:

Not one second of the new Avatar was shot with film, and there's no film anywhere in the theaters in which it's being shown. It's all digital video, and film is becoming an obsolete word.

Except for people who use film for still photography, and they're weirdos anyway, like Chilidog. :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

https://www.treehugger.com/compelling-i ... st-5219988
Compelling Images of Nature Shine in Pro Photo Contest
Finalists and shortlist revealed in Sony World

“Sea Horse”
ArunKuppuswamyMohanraj_sea-horse-1cc1a098df334af38d21a322bc252444.webp
ArunKuppuswamyMohanraj_sea-horse-1cc1a098df334af38d21a322bc252444.webp (26.36 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Arun Kuppuswamy Mohanraj / 2022 Sony World Photography Awards

Arun Kuppuswamy Mohanraj is on the shortlist in the Wildlife and Nature category for his series that includes this seahorse, made of 125 images stacked together.

The photographer describes the series of photographs and how they were made:

"My pandemic project, Diaphonization, is the art of clearing and staining subjects—a process which can take many months. After ethically sourcing the dead subjects, I dehydrated them in 95% ethanol to harden the bones and cartilages inside. The process then involves using special stains such as alizarin red and alcian blue to stain the bones (red) and cartilages (blue). Later, the subjects were immersed in a soup of trypsin (natural enzyme), which digests most of the tissues and renders them transparent—leaving the stained bone and cartilage behind.. The process is painstakingly long and any minor mistake at any stage can fail the whole process. The final step is to place the subject in glycerine, which provides the right refractive index, taking multiple shots and stacking them to create a single image."

“Iris UVIVF”
DeboraLombardi_Iris-2ec32146b6094e3aaa6b0f305ad99754.webp
DeboraLombardi_Iris-2ec32146b6094e3aaa6b0f305ad99754.webp (37.73 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Debora Lombardi / 2022 Sony World Photography Awards

Debora Lombardi is on the shortlist in the Wildlife and Nature category for images she created using an experimental technique that reveals vivid, incandescent colors.

She describes her iris image:

"Photographed with the ultraviolet radiation induced visible fluorescence photography (UVIVF) technique, which captures the fluorescence of flowers and plants hit by UV light—and makes visible what is generally invisible to the naked eye. I started experimenting with this technique in the darkness of my studio during lockdown."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Photography

Post by AndyinPA »

All neat, but I loved the iris and the beech tree. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

Photography

Post by much ado »

I took this at the mouth of the Russian River on November 7, 2014 (Goat Rocks Beach). You can see Jenner on the other side of the Russian River lagoon vaguely through the fogbow. As I recall, Foggy has memories of the Russian River. So here's a fogbow for Foggy.

It's the only fogbow I've ever seen.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

So COOOOOOOOLLLLL! I mean, so FOGBOWISH!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Photography

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Photography

Post by Foggy »

:like: :like: :like:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involv ... 2-winners/
2022 Photo Contest Winners
BRANCHING OUT On either side of a highway, gullies formed by rainwater erosion span out like a tree in Tibet, an autonomous region in southwest China. © Li Ping/TNC Photo Contest 2022

Grand_Prize_Li_Ping.jpg
Grand_Prize_Li_Ping.jpg (348.39 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

AndyinPA
Verified:

Photography

Post by AndyinPA »

Different.

I have seen photos of Iceland that are like this, though, and even more mind blowing.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Photography

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Photography

Post by northland10 »

Wow
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Photography

:yeahthat:
Volkonski
Verified:

Photography

Post by Volkonski »

Welcome to Smithsonian Open Access, where you can download, share, and reuse millions of the Smithsonian’s images—right now, without asking. With new platforms and tools, you have easier access to more than 4.4 million 2D and 3D digital items from our collections—with many more to come. This includes images and data from across the Smithsonian’s 19 museums, nine research centers, libraries, archives, and the National Zoo.

https://www.si.edu/openaccess
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”