Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Brexit

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:44 pm Is wild venison a major food source in the UK? I didn't know that was a thing.
Speking for the rest of Europe, venison is generally imported from New Zealand and Australia where the critters are raised in farms. A handful of Eastern European countries supply farmed meat too. And seasonally in autumn they augment the markets with real wild hunted animals as the local markets elsewhere don't have sufficient supply from the wild. Tradition would have it that wild population would be hunted and decimated prior to winter in September and October.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:44 pm Is wild venison a major food source in the UK? I didn't know that was a thing.
Oh, yes. Yes, it is. One of the big benefits of my serving here has been a sharp uptake in my venison intake. I've a few friends back in the states who are quite envious of my 1 or 2 servings of venison a week right now.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:39 am
Oh, yes. Yes, it is. One of the big benefits of my serving here has been a sharp uptake in my venison intake. I've a few friends back in the states who are quite envious of my 1 or 2 servings of venison a week right now.
Add one more to that list.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I actually had Venison for the first time during the week. It was delicious.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:47 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:39 am
Add one more to that list.
I made my grad school roommate -- I've mentioned him in posts before, he was a big Dittohead back in the day, and then became a very hardcore right-wing evangelical on top of that, and then a few years later woke up from both and had to balance both his gratitude that I never lost faith that he'd return to his senses but his anger that I never fought harder to snap him out of it sooner -- cry a few months ago when I told him about the gourmet butcher where I was buying "poacher's parcels", which was basically this (actually, exactly this, since it was the Borough Market stall of this same multi-channel vendor): Venison-and-garlic-stuffed pheasant with bacon on top. According to the vendor, all the venison and wild boar are locally (not as in 'in London' but as 'on the British Isles') hunted.

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Around here, if you hit a deer and call the fish and frog people and they get to it within (I think) 4 hours, they scoop it up to feed the inmates with. They eat venison more often than we do.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Well this seems like a bad idea.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:07 pm
Speking for the rest of Europe, venison is generally imported from New Zealand and Australia where the critters are raised in farms. A handful of Eastern European countries supply farmed meat too. And seasonally in autumn they augment the markets with real wild hunted animals as the local markets elsewhere don't have sufficient supply from the wild. Tradition would have it that wild population would be hunted and decimated prior to winter in September and October.
In Victoria the deer has escaped into the 'wild' - most likely let go by some failed farmer just wanting to be done with it.

A friend who knows a dirt farmer in Gippsland periodically takes an unrelated group of friends to the farm to hunt some of the wild deer. The farmer is pulling his hair out because the deer are way out of control and eating his crops and destroying his wildlife buffers. My friend doesn't shoot, but he does get some of the venison and he occasionally gives us some.

By the way, this story, which is 100% true, puts paid to the argument that there aren't any guns in Australia and that you can't go hunting for animals as big as a deer unless you have an AR15 with a 50 shot magazine.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

keith wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:19 pm In Victoria the deer has escaped into the 'wild' - most likely let go by some failed farmer just wanting to be done with it.

A friend who knows a dirt farmer in Gippsland periodically takes an unrelated group of friends to the farm to hunt some of the wild deer. The farmer is pulling his hair out because the deer are way out of control and eating his crops and destroying his wildlife buffers. My friend doesn't shoot, but he does get some of the venison and he occasionally gives us some.

By the way, this story, which is 100% true, puts paid to the argument that there aren't any guns in Australia and that you can't go hunting for animals as big as a deer unless you have an AR15 with a 50 shot magazine.
Wait, you mean he didn't bring it down with a boomerang?

My view of the world is now totally shattered.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

when you are not driving your motorbike accross the border but have it on a trailer...

British Motorcyclists FINED over 'NASTY' French EU Customs!

14 Jun 2022

BRITISH MOTORCYCLISTS FACED WITH CONFUSION OVER FRENCH CUSTOMS RULES

Problems have arisen between Britain and France over the state of a vehicle and when it is deemed a ‘means of transport.’

France and Britain have not exactly been on the best terms in recent times, and new disagreements continue to appear, this time regarding the term ‘means of transport.’

Back at the end of May, FEMA said the European Commission confirmed, “Means of transports entering the EU temporarily and leaving back to the United Kingdom after a few weeks can be placed under temporary admission and declared to customs by the sole act of crossing the frontier.”
https://www.visordown.com/news/genera...
This news meant that British motorcyclists could take their bikes to Europe to ride, and as long as they returned to the UK within a few weeks they would not incur any customs penalties for their motorcycle.

However, due to the wording of the European Commission’s ruling, specifically the term “means of transport,” there are now new problems, particularly in France.

There, the customs authorities, according to the British Motorcyclists Federation (BMF), “have in some cases insisted that motorcycles (and cars) in vans, lorries or on trailers are accompanied by an ATA Carnet.”

What this means is that, in some cases, French customs authorities have interpreted that a vehicle is no longer a ‘means of transport’ when it is carried by another vehicle. Through this interpretation, a motorcycle that is ridden into France is not subject to customs penalties, but when it arrives on the back of a truck, or in a trailer, in a van, or a lorry, for example, it could be subject to customs penalties, in particular an ATA Carnet.
vlogger clip
► Show Spoiler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

When I think of the fustercluck Brexit has become, I always remember the scene from Die Hard where Willis is crawling through the air ducts, "Come out to LA, we'll get together, have some laughs...."
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Given the intent of the EU rule, this seems fair. The means of transport to cross the border is the truck pulling the trailer. Not the motorbike. At this point the motorbike is an extra toy for the motorbike show or to play with on French roads. It could easily be left in the EU with the truck being used to return to the UK. Hence the Carnet.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

This thread may never end. The current UK government is led by a bunch of incompetent ideologues who are, (a) incapable of implementing their wet dreams, and/or (b) happy to break any law or convention and lie through their teeth while failing to do so.

Edited to correct typo. :bag:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Welcome to our world. :bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

a vlogger explains to his UK expats immigrants the stumbling blocks
BREXIT HELL! Don't Bother Exporting to the EU an UK CAR, MOTORBIKE or even an QUAD

16 Jun 2022

Brexit: What are the consequences of importing a vehicle from the UK?

Brexit et import de véhicules anglais en EuropeWith Brexit, a number of changes have taken place in trade and fiscal relations between Great Britain and the other members of the European Union, notably at the level of importation and registration of a vehicle. What are the new procedures?
Importation
The main repercussion of Brexit is the re-establishment of fiscal borders between the European Union and Great Britain.

So, if you have found the car of your dreams in England, you will now have to clear it through customs, as one would for an import from Japan or the United States.

In France, customs duty, which now applies when your vehicle or motorcycle crosses the border, is 10% plus 20% VAT, according to your personal situation. Customs Clearance Certificate 846A will be given to you once the import has been cleared.

In Luxembourg, you must, unless explicitly requested by you, declare the vehicle to the main customs bureau of the EU. In this case, you pay the customs duties and the national VAT of the country in which you carried out the customs clearance procedures. You then present the customs import document received at customs in order to obtain the 705 sticker. With an explicit request, you can have the vehicle sent to the Grand Duchy under the T1 external transit procedure. In this case, the import duties of 10% and 17% VAT are payable to the Grand Duchy at customs, which will issue you the 705 sticker, permitting you to carry out the technical inspection followed by registration.

Technical Inspection
Brexit enforces that the Ministry of Transport (MOT) test, which is the English equivalent of our technical inspection, is not valid for the registration of a vehicle imported from the United Kingdom. Since the end of the transition period, 31 December 2020, you must now imperatively provide a technical inspection conducted by an approved centre in the country of the new registration.

Since the United Kingdom is no longer part of the European Union, it does not benefit from the mutual recognition of technical inspection certificates.

The European Certificate of Conformity, or CoC
If you import your EU approved personal or used vehicle from Great Britain, manufactured prior to Brexit, its CoC remains valid and still allows its registration in European Union countries.

The European Certificate of Conformity is a declaration of the manufacturer, according to the vehicle type (car, motorcycle, or utility vehicle), which complies with the requirements of the EC, by type. The member countries of the EU cannot refuse the registration of a vehicle if it is accompanied by a valid CoC, which demonstrates its conformity with EU law.

So, if your English vehicle has a valid European Certificate of Conformity, the national authorities of registration cannot ask you for supplementary technical documentation, unless the vehicle has been manufactured specifically for the English market, with the restriction of driving on the right-hand side. If this is the case, the authorities can require a national approval procedure for driving on the right side.

vloggers clip
► Show Spoiler
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Skipped on the last track but I was able to gently recover it.
Attachments
malcolmduckrock.jpg
malcolmduckrock.jpg (255.83 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And I was finally going to make that mix tape.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Brexit impact on Welsh ports dismissed with 'disregard' by UK Government, report says
The focus on Northern Ireland has meant that the harm caused to ports like Holyhead has not been considered

Owen HughesBusiness correspondent
05:05, 29 JUN 2022

Welsh ports have ­been treated with “disregard” in the post-Brexit arrangements and trade could be hit further by moves to eliminate most checks between Britain and Northern Ireland. Ports like Holyhead remain at around 80% of pre-Brexit trading levels thanks to a divergence of trade to direct routes between Ireland and the EU as well as to sailings between English and Scottish ports and Northern Ireland.

Those rival routes offer the advantage of either zero or limited trade barriers - putting Welsh ports with routes to Ireland at a competitive disadvantage. A vote this week to scrap parts of the post-Brexit deal between the UK and the EU and make it easier for some goods to flow from Great Britain to Northern Ireland could mean the situation may deteriorate further and be here for the long term.

A paper by Colin Murray and Jonathan Evershed for the London School of Economics said the damage to Welsh ports has not been factored in by UK Government despite warnings from ministers in Wales.

Read more: One of Wales' finest restaurants and former Michelin star holder has gone up for sale

The report says: “The way that Brexit has unfolded since 2019 has essentially put paid to the central corridor’s competitive advantage. As of January 2021, goods coming from Holyhead into Dublin have been subject to the full weight of new barriers to trade between the UK and the EU – including burdensome new customs processes and sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) checks. However goods moving between Cairnryan and Belfast became subject to a number of (indefinitely extended) grace periods. Simply put, it is now more attractive for those trading into Northern Ireland to send their goods up to Western Scotland and over the North Channel than it is to send them to Dublin and then up through the Port Tunnel and on to the M1.

“At the other end of the UK landbridge, the now ubiquitous footage of long queues of lorries at Dover is testament to the new barriers to trade that exist across the English Channel. Irish traders are increasingly loath to risk seeing their goods end up stuck in this logistical snarl up. Instead, they have been turning to the booming number of direct-to-Europe sailings from Irish ports.”

It added: “Continuations of grace periods for Northern Ireland, therefore, are not cost free. They come at the expense of considerable and potentially irreparable damage to the Welsh ports. This is, quite simply, not factored into ongoing debate about whether and to what extent the Protocol can or should be renegotiated. The indefinite extension of ‘grace periods’, which is widely anticipated to form part of any potential ‘landing zone’ for current negotiations around the Protocol, would enshrine and deepen the disadvantage currently being experienced by Welsh ports.”

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... s-24346938
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Like the fish will now find refuge and shelter near windfarms and swim nowhere else :cantlook: :brickwallsmall:

FARM-AGEDDON Fish and chips will surge in price ‘because of offshore wind farms’

Natasha Clark
19:06 ET, Jun 30 2022Updated: 22:15 ET, Jun 30 2022

FISH and chip dinners will soar in price because offshore wind farms are likely to gobble up too much of Britain’s waters, a report warns.

Fishermen say Boris Johnson’s plans for more turbines in the sea mean half of their territory could be lost by 2050.

Fish and chip dinners will soar in price because offshore wind farms are likely to gobble up too much of Britain’s waters, a report warns

Fish would go uncaught with restaurants forced to pay more or import.

The report by Scottish fishing federations said the country would lose thousands of jobs.

The federations want to be included in green energy talks.

They said: “The outlook ahead is truly frightening.

“Expansion of offshore renewable energy generation and marine conservation are being prioritised above fishing.”

Last night, Cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg said: “You need planning in the sea that works for people who are fishing as well as wind farms.

“It is obviously important that the knock on effects of all government policies are properly considered.”

https://www.the-sun.com/money/5678362/f ... ind-farms/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Not for the British tourist to the EU :lol:
New Roaming rules for travellers in the EU: “Roam like at home” for 10 more years

Tomorrow, 1 July 2022, the new improved Roaming regulation enters into force. It extends “Roam-like-at-home” until 2032 – the scheme thanks to which travellers in the EU and the EEA can call, text and surf abroad without extra charges. The new rules will also bring about significant benefits for EU businesses and citizens, who will enjoy a better roaming experience, with the same quality of mobile service abroad as they have at home. The new rules also improve access to emergency communications across the EU and guarantee clear information about services that may be subject to extra charges.

How roaming charges will hit travellers between the UK and EU in 2022
Trips between Europe and the UK and vice versa may well become more expensive for many travellers in 2022 as UK mobile operators bring back roaming charges. However there is some good news for all EU residents.

Published: 5 January 2022 11:17 CET
:snippity:
UK companies reintroducing roaming charges this year

And now the bad news for travellers to the EU from the UK

Customers of UK mobile phone operators face higher fees when travelling in Europe this year, as some companies are bringing back roaming charges for calls, text messages and data downloaded during temporary stays in the EU.

This is one of the many consequences of the UK withdrawal from the European Union. Because of Brexit, the UK is no longer part of the EU’s “roam like at home” initiative which was designed to avoid shocking bills after holidays or business trips abroad.

https://www.thelocal.com/20220105/how-r ... u-in-2022/
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:51 am Like the fish will now find refuge and shelter near windfarms and swim nowhere else :cantlook: :brickwallsmall:

FARM-AGEDDON Fish and chips will surge in price ‘because of offshore wind farms’

Natasha Clark
19:06 ET, Jun 30 2022Updated: 22:15 ET, Jun 30 2022

FISH and chip dinners will soar in price because offshore wind farms are likely to gobble up too much of Britain’s waters, a report warns.

Fishermen say Boris Johnson’s plans for more turbines in the sea mean half of their territory could be lost by 2050.

Fish and chip dinners will soar in price because offshore wind farms are likely to gobble up too much of Britain’s waters, a report warns

Fish would go uncaught with restaurants forced to pay more or import.

The report by Scottish fishing federations said the country would lose thousands of jobs.

The federations want to be included in green energy talks.

They said: “The outlook ahead is truly frightening.

“Expansion of offshore renewable energy generation and marine conservation are being prioritised above fishing.”

Last night, Cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg said: “You need planning in the sea that works for people who are fishing as well as wind farms.

“It is obviously important that the knock on effects of all government policies are properly considered.”

https://www.the-sun.com/money/5678362/f ... ind-farms/
It's a choice between energy production and fish, and there's even a question? I believe I'd have to go with energy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I read that the price of fish and chips was already going up due to the price of Ukraine vegetable oils and UK potatoes.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”