Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Brexit

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

and dispute proceedings can take forever....

... until the UK realizes that it has to fully implement the N.Ireland Protocol, not just admit to it on paper (and better make no moves to abolish it).

PS. the reason why the EU did cancel the science cooperation for now was exactly that. non-compliance with the N.Ireland Protocol. The EU has many other means to prod the UK into compliance, this is only a first small step.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

“The EU is in clear breach of our agreement, repeatedly seeking to politicise vital scientific cooperation by refusing to finalise access to these important programmes ...”
Three separate spelling mistakes in a single sentence. Sad. :sadtrombone:

:lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:47 pm
“The EU is in clear breach of our agreement, repeatedly seeking to politicise vital scientific cooperation by refusing to finalise access to these important programmes ...”

It's been rough living here, let me tell you. My neighbours are honourable people, and I don't mean to demonise them but they are slowly infecting me. :crying:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

This chap has some videos on why English is so wonderfully inconsistent and confusing:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC4a9LfdavRlVMaSSWFdIciA

But, it’s still the original, and the correct, English language. :mrgreen:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:47 pm

The writer would have never passed the Foreign Service Exam. :biggrin:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Off Topic
I just found this funny. and they are British...

Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Almost half of British imports move through Felixstowe.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:31 am Almost half of British imports move through Felixstowe.
That's the kind of information you don't just casually find on a lot of sites, but I think it's fascinating, and I looked at Felixstowe on Goog Maps to get a feel for the harbor.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

To note that far ranging industrial actions = strikes are starting up. Previously London underground drivers. Now train drivers accross the country. Post delivery to be hit in the near future.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Up to £60m in UK crops left to rot owing to lack of workers, says NFU
Farming union chief says situation ‘nothing short of a travesty’, as crops also hit by drought and record heat

Sarah Butler
Mon 15 Aug 2022 16.01 BST

As much as £60m of food has been wasted on farms because of a labour shortage, according to the National Farmers’ Union, which found at least £22m of fruit and vegetables had been wasted so far this year.

The NFU said 40% of respondents to a survey of its members said they had suffered crop losses as a result of labour shortages, with farms 14% short of the size of the workforce they needed on average. The problems were worsened by some staff not turning up for work or quitting early.

As its survey represents only about a third of the UK’s horticulture sector, the NFU said as much as £60m of food could have been wasted.

Tom Bradshaw, the union’s deputy president, said: “It’s nothing short of a travesty that quality, nutritious food is being wasted at a time when families across the country are already struggling to make ends meet because of soaring living costs.

“At the same time, the prolonged dry weather and record temperatures have created a really challenging growing environment for our fruit and veg. Every crop is valuable – to the farm business and to the people whose plates they fill. We simply can’t afford to be leaving food unpicked.”

More than half of those questioned – 56% – said production had fallen by almost a fifth on average partly as a result of the worker shortages. Growers expect a further decrease in production – of 4.4% – in 2023.

Farmers have been struggling to find enough workers to pick crops amid high employment levels in the UK. Alternative work, including in warehouses and delivery, often offers higher pay and more job security. The struggle to find workers has led to pay increases and problems for businesses in hospitality, logistics and food production.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... fu-farming
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

We do not want those pesky Europeans taking British jobs away!
Why UK farms are recruiting fruit pickers from 7,000 miles away
Last year, Ukrainians helped plug post-Brexit labour shortages. With the focus now on Asia, it’s unclear who should police issues such as illegal broker fees

Emily Dugan
Sun 14 Aug 2022 17.00 BST

As a Guardian investigation reports that Indonesian workers picking fruit for leading UK supermarkets have ended up with debts of up to £5,000 for a single season, we look at what is driving a crisis in British agricultural labour and how exploitation can be avoided.

Why are farms recruiting fruit pickers from 7,000 miles away?

A shortage of farm workers created by Brexit led to 8,000 tonnes of berries going unpicked last year. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine only made the shortage more critical – Ukrainians made up two-thirds of all workers arriving on seasonal worker visas in 2021, with almost 20,000 working on British farms. When war broke out weeks before the picking season was due to start, recruiters had to look beyond Ukraine, with a rise reported in farm workers arriving from Indonesia, Nepal, Vietnam, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Yeah, England* is literally going to shit now: the privatized water companies have been taking huge profits in dividends and not investing in infrastructure. Much of England and Wales has water restrictions following hot weather and a dry summer, and billions of litres of raw sewage are being pumped into the sea, rendering many bathing beaches along the warmer (ha!) parts of the coast unsafe for swimming and even paddling.

Here's the rub of it: the UK's historically filthy beaches and rivers became much cleaner from the 1990s (ish) as they worked towards EU standards, including the EU's blue flag scheme to indicate beaches considered fit for bathing (in terms of microbial and other pollution). But the privatized water companies preferred to pay fines rather than invest in sewage treatment, the fines were less than the cost of investment. And the Conservative government, as callously uncaring as the Republicans, made no attempt to force them to fulfill their responsibilities or obey the law. Big profits, big dividends were important; the environment, people's health, and security of water supply were trifles. The EU was telling the UK that exemptions for allowing discharge of untreated effluent were only for exceptional circumstances, but the Conservatives took no notice: damn EU red tape, eh?! Another Brexit benefit!

A year or so ago a bill went through the UK Parliament and the House of Lords proposed an amendment banning the pumping of raw sewage into rivers. The vast majority of Conservative MPs - 256 of them - voted to reject that amendment; that is, they voted to allow more pumping of raw sewage into the rivers and seas.

13 MPs for constituencies on the badly affected south coast of England wrote a whiney letter demanding action about the sewage on their beaches. But 8 of those 13 had previously voted for more sewage! So why are they complaining when they get what they wished for? They mutter that that's not what their votes meant, but they didn't propose anything better.

This explains why #SewageParty is trending on Twitter! And MPs who lie about voting for more sewage are being called out, which doesn't improve the Sewage Party's already poor reputation.

Strikes are definitely increasing; the government complains about 8% pay claims, but the current/projected inflation rate is more than that, so plenty of workers are saying "no, we need enough to live on, you bastards, stop screwing us to line your own pockets".

There is a pattern in the Sewage Party's behavior which might trip them up:
David Cameron: a poor Prime Minister, the one stupid and callous enough to hold the Brexit referendum
People: "Surely their next leader won't be worse!" Conservatives: "Challenge accepted!"
Theresa May: ineffective, bumbling, talked moral acted badly, couldn't control her party, forced out
People: "Surely their next leader won't be worse!" Conservatives: "Challenge accepted!"
Boris Johnson: you know him!
Liz Truss (probably): as vile and incompetent as Boris Johnson, but without the superficial charm, perhaps not as amoral, but equally narcissistic

* Scotland does not have privatized water so is not experiencing the same water problems.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

In a loose sort of way I think of the UK as somewhat akin to a third-rate USA tribute act; incompetent and less well resourced, and the similarities partially masked by the cultural differences.
(Which is part of the reason I’m interested in what happens in the (ex)colonies :mrgreen: )
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:eek:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Eurostar says trains will not stop in Kent for ‘two to three years’ as it blames Brexit
Eurostar dashes hopes of a gradual return to services following 'toughened' border restrictions

Laura Onita
23 August 2022 • 5:05pm

Eurostar trains will not stop in Kent for up to three years, the operator said as it blamed the decision on Brexit and its post-pandemic recovery.

The county could remain disconnected from the Continent until 2025 after the train company dashed hopes of a gradual return of services next year.

Eurostar will continue to have “considerable” financial commitments for a number of years after a drought of passengers during lockdowns, it said, delaying any changes to its timetable.

The operator also blamed Brexit, saying border restrictions had “toughened” since the UK’s departure from the EU. It added it expected further friction when the EU’s Entry/Exit System is launched in May next year

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... rs-blames/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:rotflmao:
Chaos at Calais: Thousands of frustrated holidaymakers stuck in six-hour queues trying to get to Dover because of 'delays caused by British Border Control'
  • Fed-up passengers at Calais have been stuck in queues for more than six hours
    Holidaymakers caught up in the chaos have been trying to get back to Dover
    People stuck at the port say the delays are being caused by the UK Border Force
    The Government has said the hold-up is because of yesterday's technical issues
By EIRIAN JANE PROSSER
PUBLISHED: 21:03 BST, 24 August 2022 | UPDATED: 00:54 BST, 25 August 2022

more at link https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Dover.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

think 3rd country, rules of origin...
Renault drops Nissan as cylinder head supplier amid cost cuts
Nissan will stop production of cylinder heads for alliance partner Renault at its plant in Sunderland in the UK.

Reuters
August 24, 2022 04:39 AM

Nissan will stop production of cylinder heads for alliance partner Renault at its plant in Sunderland, northern England, from early 2024.

"From early 2024, Nissan Sunderland Plant will cease production of cylinder heads on site. We do not expect this to result in job losses and are working with staff as we redeploy them to other parts of the business," the automaker said.

Nissan employs about 250 people to make cylinder heads for Renault gasoline vehicles in Sunderland.

"Following a study about the economics of cylinder head suppliers, Renault Group has found another supplier that will start working with us from 2024," a Renault spokesman said.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... -cost-cuts
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

It's new EU rules for all 3rd countries, let the Brits 'fume' (yeah - it's the Express :lol: )
'This is scary' Britons fume at 'sinister' EU plans to halt UK passport stamps at border
BREXIT fury has erupted after it emerged the EU is set to replace passport stamps with a new system following the UK's departure from the bloc.

By REBECCA PERRING
11:22, Thu, Aug 4, 2022 | UPDATED: 15:57, Thu, Aug 4, 2022

Tourists outside the EU will be required to submit a photograph and fingerprints from May as part of the bloc’s bid to tighten entry rules following the UK’s departure from the Union. The EU’s long delayed Entry/Exit system (EES) will come into force in May, and will replace the stamping of passports.

Non-EU travellers will be asked to submit photos and four fingerprints, which will be submitted in the form of biometric data.

This will also register the traveller’s name, travel documents and date and place of entry and exit.

But experts have previously warned the new scheme could cause chaos and significant problems at the Eurotunnel where people are arriving in cars.

Holidaymakers travelling to France have also been warned to expect delays at the ferry ports and Channel Tunnel next year when the scheme is launched.

Tim Reardon, head of EU exit for the Dover Harbour Board, told MPs last year: “In our context, virtually everybody crosses the border in a vehicle and in a group.

“There is no such thing as an e-gate for a car, and there is no such thing as an e-gate process for people travelling as a group. They’re all one-at-a-time processes."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/16504 ... avel-rules
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

UK vlogger residing and working in France (his script)

Tricky situations for British expats travelling (driving?) within the EU
EU resident British Expats get only One Passport Stamp causing Distress at the border

9 Aug 2022

I have been made aware of an anomaly between the EU member states and the agreed TCA…

Due to Brexit Brits have lost their freedom of movement across 27 EU member states but also British Expats I mean Immigrants who have the right to stay… As a British immigrant, I can live here in France as the French does with some caveats with my new Titre de Sejour… But I cannot move to Spain and benefit from a similar arrangement that was negotiated in the TCA… without applying for residence, as any third-country national would have to… or even a Golden Visa if I was a rich Tory scumbag…

But what does my newfound post-Brexit French residence card allow me to do? Well, In combination with my passport, and new residence document enables me to travel within the Schengen countries for up to 90 days within a 180-day period… just like any third Country Nationals with a Schengen visa as tagged onto the TCA. However, it does not allow you to work in or move to other countries. To do that, you require permission from the other country concerned. Your residence document does not constitute any form of entitlement outside the Schengen countries. That also applies to the EU member states that are not Schengen states, i.e. Bulgaria, Croatia, Roma…

A further, limited possibility for mobility within the EU exists if you fulfil the conditions for a permanent EU residence permit or for the EU Blue Card… The EU Blue Card is Europe's answer to the US Green Card.

The EU Blue Card is a work- and residence permit for non-EU/EEA nationals. The European Blue Card provides comprehensive socio-economic rights and a path toward permanent residence and EU citizenship…

But I digress what is the anomaly…

Transiting a country, which is when you enter a country to travel to another country… Let’s say I visit my family in the UK via Calais and Return to France and because I live in France with my CDS this is a simple journey…

Lets say I did not return to the continent directly to my home in France but flew into Italy to get a Pizza well those officials at the pesky border control stamped my passport with the date of arrival since my CDS was not any good since it is only valid in France… Coming close to my 90 days in 180 I stole e-bike and rode back to my home in France crossing no check points since I was still in schengen…

Now I have a potential problem if I want to travel to any other EU member state other to France that is…

What is that then, well I have one entry stamp and no exit stamp in my passport… and could be stopped, detained and rectally examinined then treated as an overstayer… You would hope that after explaining your situation and proving that you are resident in France the border police will wish you on your way… But a delay could very much make you late for the next step of your journey…

The EU’s new Entry/Exit System, expected next year, is intended to remove the requirement for stamping, as information about non-EU visitors to the Schengen area will have to be entered into a shared database when they cross Schengen borders, including taking a photograph and fingerprints and entry and exit dates

Non-EU travellers will be asked to submit photos and four fingerprints, which will be submitted in the form of biometric data.
This will also register the traveller’s name, travel documents and date and place of entry and exit.

But experts have previously warned the new scheme could cause chaos and significant problems at the Eurotunnel where people are arriving in cars.
Holidaymakers travelling to France have also been warned to expect delays at the ferry ports and Channel Tunnel next year when the scheme is launched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsgSWzjHi0A
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I bet there are still people who think that voting to brexit was a good idea.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Azastan wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:22 am I bet there are still people who think that voting to brexit was a good idea.
Yeah, but do any of them live in the UK? :biggrin:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The UK folks love to whine about how unfair it is that the EU treats them like other non-EU countries. I'm taking my ball and leaving apparently meant, I do not want all of the responsibilities and liabilities of EU membership but demand all the same privileges as before.
101010 :towel:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

northland10 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:53 am The UK folks love to whine about how unfair it is that the EU treats them like other non-EU countries. I'm taking my ball and leaving apparently meant, I do not want all of the responsibilities and liabilities of EU membership but demand all the same privileges as before.
You aren't my mom! I don't have to listen to you!

What do you mean you won't do my laundry and fix me dinner?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jacob Rees-Mogg blocking major UK tourism campaign
Exclusive: Despite ‘Global Britain’ rhetoric, Brexit opportunities minister refused to sign off budget to revive pandemic-hit industry

Pippa Crerar political editor

Sat 3 Sep 2022 08.00 BST

Jacob Rees-Mogg is blocking a major government-backed tourism campaign – despite being a vocal advocate of “Global Britain”.

The planned advertising blitz is aimed at bringing back tourists from key international markets including India, China, Australia, Japan and Canada to boost visitor numbers in the wake of the pandemic.

But Rees-Mogg, in his role as Brexit opportunities and government efficiencies minister, has refused to sign off the department for culture’s £800,000 budget – part of a cross-Whitehall recovery plan agreed at the last spending review – despite agreeing a separate £4m for VisitBritain campaigns.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... m-campaign
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

northland10 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:53 am The UK folks love to whine about how unfair it is that the EU treats them like other non-EU countries.
The Brits I know, other than a few idiots or nutters, are almost all pro-EU, and their reaction is "Well, what did you expect, Leavers? This is what you voted for." My impression is that the "isn't the EU horrible to us?" line comes mainly from the RW pro-leavers deflecting from the appalling mess they have created, and is amplified in the press that generally supports them, or perhaps more pertinently, hates the alternatives.

The vote to leave was by a small margin. A significant fraction of voters were middle-aged voters voting for the first time, relishing an opportunity to say "f… you" to politicians who, in their simplistic low information view of the world, had let them down. People who haven't strong enough opinions after several years of adulthood to entice them to vote are unlikely to have immersed themselves in the nuances of political debates or to be skilled in evaluating pros and cons.

Since then, some of those have matured to understanding that their F.A. approach to voting led to a F.O. event for everybody.

And years have passed, so many older voters (the core of the grumpy "what has the EU ever done for me?" leavers) have departed the electorate, especially with Covid, and many younger people (generally Pro-EU and internationallist) have reached voting age.

So there is probably a majority who wish to rejoin the EU, certainly a majority who wish that the UK had never left.

But such is the damaging effect of right wing media, that the main opposition party would not dare propose that. Actually, I don't know what the Labour Party's view would be without that constraint – the UK is unusual in that it believes the EU to be a socialist project whereas the view in the north of Europe is that it's a capitalist venture, more favored by the right than the left.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”