Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Brexit

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Brexit

Post by RTH10260 »

looks like the fish war has been put aside
Jersey offers 162 fishing licences after French ultimatum
Published1 day ago

Jersey has offered fishing licences to 162 French vessels after an ultimatum was issued by France.

France was angered by a decision from the UK and Jersey in September to deny fishing licences to dozens of French boats.

France said on Wednesday if there was no agreement by 2 November it would take action.

In May, about 60 French fishing vessels staged a protest outside the harbour at St Helier, Jersey.

The escalating row over post-Brexit fishing rights resulted in a British trawler being seized by France and another being fined.

On Wednesday, France said it would start toOn Wednesday, France said it would start to impose "targeted measures" from 2 November, including:
  • Preventing British fishing boats from disembarking at ports
    Increasing border and sanitary checks on UK goods
    Tightening security checks on British boats
    Increasing checks on trucks going to and from the UK
On Wednesday morning officials from France, the UK and the European Commission met.

"The outcome of that meeting was that 162 French vessels will be licensed to fish in Jersey's territorial waters from this Friday," the statement said.

Of the 162 licences, 113 were permanent, an increase of two, and 49 were temporary, an increase of 18.

Vessels with a temporary licence would be able to fish in Jersey waters until 31 January 2022, "to give them time to provide further data which is necessary to secure a permanent licence".

There were 55 vessels in a third category that would not have a licence to fish in Jersey waters after 31 October, said the statement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-jersey-59077644
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Should I Stay or Should I Go? The Dilemma of a Conflicted Civil Servant
Alexandra Hall Hall

In December 2019, Alexandra Hall Hall resigned from her post as Brexit counselor at the British Embassy in Washington, DC. In this article, she writes about how she came to that decision and situates it in a broader discussion of principled resignation, giving examples from individuals who have been faced with the same choice.

On Dec. 3, 2019, I pressed “send” on a letter to Michael Tatham, acting ambassador at the British Embassy in Washington, informing him that I wished to resign as Brexit counselor in the United States (with the responsibility of explaining Brexit to American audiences) and from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office as a whole. It was an immensely painful way to end my 33-year diplomatic career, and not what I had envisaged when I began the job, full of enthusiasm, in September 2018. But as I wrote in my letter (the full text of which is published for the first time at the end of this article), I found my position had become “both untenable professionally, and unbearable personally.” I believed I was being asked to tell “half-truths,” both about the implications of Brexit (the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union) and the manner in which the British government was implementing it — in a way that was deliberately misleading and a violation of my civil service duty to act with integrity.

My resignation came after many months of internal struggle. As I agonized over my decision, I grappled with many of the same dilemmas that have faced other public servants, in both the United States and the United Kingdom, when tasked with implementing a policy with which they do not agree, or that they consider unethical or even illegal. Is our primary duty to the elected government of the day, even when it may be breaking the law or willfully deceiving the public? Or is our duty to some broader notion of the “public good”? If the latter, how is that to be defined, and by whom? If we stay silent in the face of wrongdoing, do we become complicit ourselves? But if we speak out, are we breaking our pledge of impartial service to the government of the day and undermining the foundation of trust between politicians and officials? If we resign, do we let down our colleagues and institutions? Do we merely allow others with fewer scruples to fill our shoes? But if we stay on, are we knowingly violating our duty to provide ethical public service to our fellow citizens?

https://tnsr.org/2021/10/should-i-stay- ... l-servant/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Brexit shift in trade away from EU ‘could double UK carbon emissions from shipping’
Findings cast doubt on Boris Johnson commitment to climate action ahead of key summit, Commission claims

Andrew Woodcock Political Editor
2 days ago

A post-Brexit shift in trade links away from the UK’s EU neighbours to far-flung partners like Australia, China and the US could almost double Britain’s greenhouse gas emissions from shipping, according to new analysis released on the eve of a crucial climate change summit.

With just two days to go to the opening of the United Nations Cop26 gathering hosted by Boris Johnson in Glasgow, Friends of the Earth said that the findings amounted to further proof that the government was “missing the mark on all counts” over the climate implications of its trade policies.

The prime minister has made new “Global Britain” trade deals a centrepiece of his Brexit strategy, arguing that leaving the EU’s customs union leaves the UK free to forge partnerships with fast-growing parts of the world economy. Trade deals have been struck with Australia, New Zealand and Japan and the UK is seeking membership of the CPTPP trade bloc of Pacific nations.

But the new analysis by the UK Trade and Business Commission found that replacing EU trade lost since 2018 with imports and exports from more distant countries would increase annual emissions from UK-linked shipping by 88 per cent.

The release of an additional 6.5m tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere each year by container ships making long voyages around the globe with goods for the UK market and exports to overseas customers would be the equivalent of 44,000 transatlantic flights, the Commission found.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 47282.html
äü
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Priorities. :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Priorities. :thumbsup:
:panic:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I suppose I haven't lived yet since I have never had shrimp prawn cocktail potato chips crisps . :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:32 pm I suppose I haven't lived yet since I have never had shrimp prawn cocktail potato chips crisps . :confuzzled:
I've had them. No big deal. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:47 pm
I've had them. No big deal. ;)
Vinegar and Sea Salt is about as far as I go on flavored potato chips. Although cheddar and sour cream are damned addictive.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:32 pm I suppose I haven't lived yet since I have never had shrimp prawn cocktail potato chips crisps . :confuzzled:
Lays had all kinds of crazy flavors in Thailand. I was like, nuh-uh.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Wetherspoon the restaurant chain owner who promoted Brexit
Wetherspoons customers left to eat ‘unseasoned fish and chips’ as chain runs out of salt

Jimmy Nsubuga
Friday 29 Oct 2021 4:35 pm

Wetherspoons customers have been forced to eat unseasoned food after some chains ran out of salt.

Punters across the country were left frustrated by the lack of condiment at several pubs.

Wetherspoons blamed ‘a supplier disruption for salt sachets’ for the shortage and promised to resolve the issue ‘as soon as possible’.

An annoyed customer in Piccadilly, Manchester, who had to eat his fish and chips with just vinegar, wrote on Twitter: ‘It just wasn’t the same, my chips were ruined.’

Another pub-goer said: ‘Apparently you now have to take your own salt to Wetherspoons now, haven’t had any salt all week.’

A customer in Rochester, Kent claimed salt sachets had not been delivered to a one Wetherspoons chain pub for two weeks.

Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: ‘There is a supplier disruption for salt sachets and Wetherspoon pubs are currently running short of salt in some pubs and in others have no salt sachets at all.

‘We are working with our supplier to resolve this as soon as possible.’

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/29/wethersp ... -15509326/

Wetherspoons bans pub goers from bringing own salt to dinner amid national shortage
Punters up and down the country have noticed a lack of salt over the past couple of weeks - but a spokesperson has said customers can't take their own

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/w ... g-25330461
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Meat carcasses sent to EU for butchering amid UK worker shortage
Great Britain’s beef producers export to Ireland before reimporting, while pork processors consider the Netherlands

Joanna Partridge
Wed 3 Nov 2021 10.46 GMT

Meat processors in Great Britain are having to export carcasses destined for domestic consumption to the EU for butchering because of the shortage of skilled workers in the industry.

Beef producers are exporting carcasses to Ireland for butchering and packing, says Nick Allen, the chief executive of the British Meat Processors Association, before the products are brought back to Great Britain to be sold in supermarkets.

Meanwhile, pork processors are looking into shipping pig carcasses to the Netherlands to be butchered, as first reported by the Financial Times. This is despite the government announcing a post-Brexit immigration policy U-turn last month that would temporarily extend the seasonal worker visa scheme to include pork butchers.

:snippity:

One problem for pork producers is that any meat exported to the EU for butchering would not be allowed to be labelled as British pork when reimported to the UK for sale.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... r-shortage
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Third country rules apply
UK travel: British woman denied entry to Spain due to post-Brexit passport stamp rule
The 72-year-old was denied entry to Spain by border control

By Isabella Boneham
Tuesday, 2nd November 2021, 10:24 am

A British woman was refused entry to Spain at the border with Gibraltar due to a missing passport stamp required post-Brexit.

Linda, returning to Spain to see her son who lives there, told publication The Local she had been denied entry to the country by border control.

She had not been given an “exit stamp” by officials when she left Spain during her visit in the summer, causing border control to suspect she had not abided by the new rules for non-resident British visitors to Spain.

What is the post-Brexit passport stamp rule?

Following Brexit, Britons are required to have entry and exit stamps on their passports whenever they travel in and out of the Schengen area - an area consisting of 26 European countries.

Britons who don’t have the right to residence in an EU country can only spend up to 90 days out of every 180 within this area, which includes Spain.

Linda’s missing passport stamp suggested she had stayed in Spain since her visit in the summer in June, exceeding the amount of time you can stay in the region.

If you exhaust the limit all in one go, you are required to stay outside the Schengen Area for 90 days afterwards.

Being a relatively new rule change this year means not all airport staff remember to stamp British passports each time they enter and leave the country - with travellers also forgetting to check if their passports have been stamped for both directions.

https://www.nationalworld.com/lifestyle ... le-3441413
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The next great Irish Famine in the making
Allister: Just another ludicrous Protocol problem – British seed potatoes banned
TUV leader Jim Allister has voiced concerns for the Province’s potato farmers, saying the protocol is preventing access to the material they need.

By Adam Kula
Tuesday, 2nd November 2021, 5:00 am

He said nothing less than “the future of our potato sector” relies on easy access to seed potatoes from GB.

However, he said that their import now “is banned because GB is now declared a ‘third country’ and thus subject to the ban which arises under Regulation EU 2016/2031”.

Mr Allister went on to contend that on December 8 last year, the Stormont Assembly voted to back a piece of law called ‘The Plant Health and Diseases of Animals (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020’.

He argues that by passing this law (with cross unionist/nationalist support, and only he and Jim Wells voting against), it activated a section of the protocol that in turn engaged the EU regulation mentioned earlier.

The result? That seed potatoes are now banned from being imported from Great Britain to Northern Ireland – “with devastating consequences for the potato sector”.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:35 pm The next great Irish Famine in the making
Allister: Just another ludicrous Protocol problem – British seed potatoes banned
TUV leader Jim Allister has voiced concerns for the Province’s potato farmers, saying the protocol is preventing access to the material they need.

By Adam Kula
Tuesday, 2nd November 2021, 5:00 am

He said nothing less than “the future of our potato sector” relies on easy access to seed potatoes from GB.

However, he said that their import now “is banned because GB is now declared a ‘third country’ and thus subject to the ban which arises under Regulation EU 2016/2031”.

Mr Allister went on to contend that on December 8 last year, the Stormont Assembly voted to back a piece of law called ‘The Plant Health and Diseases of Animals (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020’.

He argues that by passing this law (with cross unionist/nationalist support, and only he and Jim Wells voting against), it activated a section of the protocol that in turn engaged the EU regulation mentioned earlier.

The result? That seed potatoes are now banned from being imported from Great Britain to Northern Ireland – “with devastating consequences for the potato sector”.
Does Ireland want GMO potatoes? Since GB is getting ready to relax rules on GMO items, I'm not sure Ireland would want them anyway.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well, from what I can gather that only applies to Northern Ireland. The Republic is still able to suck down seed Potatoes just fine.
Hic sunt dracones
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

It seems like NI could easily obtain seed potatoes from Ireland. Is there something special about seed potatoes from GB?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:24 am It seems like NI could easily obtain seed potatoes from Ireland. Is there something special about seed potatoes from GB?
"Easilly" yes, in terms of distance. But you have landed on one of the big problems with the current situation. Crossing the border between the EU and another country is complicated, and the UK has been dragging its feet to clarify the situation for 2 years now.

Hell they probably want the EU or NI to force the issue so they can play the victim.

And for all I know Norn Iron is unwilling to get Fenian Taigh Potatoes from the south/
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RAIL, FERRY AND EUROTUNNEL PASSENGERS TO EUROPE FACE BORDER CHAOS IN 2022, WARN TRANSPORT CHIEFS
‘There is no such thing as an e-gate for a car,’ says Tim Reardon, head of EU Exit for Dover Harbour Board

Simon Calder Travel Correspondent
6 days ago

Rail, ferry and Eurotunnel passengers travelling between the UK and France could face chaos next year when the EU’s long-planned Entry/Exit System (EES) is implemented.

Transport chiefs told peers on the House of Lords Justice and Home Affairs Committee that the system, related to the Etias e-visa scheme, was designed for airlines rather than for terrestrial operators.

The EES was developed while the UK was a member of the European Union, ahead of the 2016 EU referendum. Following the decision to leave, the UK has become subject to the requirements for facial and fingerprint biometrics to be collected from every non-EU visitor to Europe’s Schengen area.

The schedule is for checks to become mandatory from May 2022, though it is thought that this is likely to slip until later in the year.

Tim Reardon, head of EU Exit for the Dover Harbour Board, said: “The challenge in our context is that in all those environments where biometric controls happen at the moment – whether it’s an e-gate or a fingerprint reader or previously an iris scanner that the UK authorities had – individuals pass through the frontier one at a time and on foot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 49849.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Brain Drain From Britain Delivers Financial Boon to Estonia
The former Soviet satellite state is welcoming British companies looking to escape the tangle of regulations and financial obstacles of doing business in Europe.

By Stephen Castle
Nov. 8, 2021

At first Vicky Brock struggled to place Estonia on the map. And when she flew to the Baltic nation last December, she took just hand luggage, assuming it would be a short trip.

Eleven months later Ms. Brock, a British technology entrepreneur, is still there, living and working in the former Soviet satellite state as what she calls a “Brexit refugee.”

Ms. Brock split her Scotland-based start-up and set up half of it to operate in Estonia, a country of 1.3 million people that is welcoming companies looking to escape the tangle of regulations and financial obstacles that Brexit imposes on British firms doing business in Europe.

Several thousand other company leaders have done the same, some physically moving like Ms. Brock but most staying in Britain while shifting their business registration to Estonia. By doing so, they can take advantage of the country’s membership in the European Union and therefore gain something Britain has lost: free access to the bloc’s giant single market of more than 400 million people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/worl ... iness.html?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ireland dusts off Brexit contingency plans as trade tensions mount

https://www.reuters.com/world/ireland-d ... ce=twitter
The European Union last week said that Britain had made no move to seek a compromise on post-Brexit trade with Northern Ireland and cautioned London against triggering emergency unilateral provisions in the Brexit deal.

"We had a meeting yesterday of the Cabinet subcommittee on Brexit essentially to dust down and restart our contingency preparations should we get into difficulty," Varadkar told state broadcaster RTE. "We're making preparations."

If Britain steps away from the Northern Ireland Protocol and its wider EU divorce deal, the EU "would have no option other than to introduce what we call rebalancing measures to respond", Varadkar said.

Asked if the European Union could or should also consider suspending the post-Brexit trade deal, the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, Varadkar said it was something the EU commission "is going to have to consider".
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The EU is getting irrate over the UK position. It reminds me strongly of the scenario a year ago when Johnson got fixated on fish and tried to bully the EU into his conditions for a trade deal while threatening a Hard Brexit. Just now the UK is using "Article 16" as a threat. Article 16 suggests the suspension of a single issue within the N.Ireland Agreement and separate talks to solve said issue. The UK is touting this as an option to put the whole agreement on hold.

from last weeks talks
EU warns of ‘serious consequences’ if UK invokes article 16
Maroš Šefčovič says Brussels has seen no concessions from UK side in Northern Ireland protocol dispute

Daniel Boffey in Brussels
Fri 5 Nov 2021 13.55 GMT

Britain and the EU appear on the brink of a trade war after Brussels accused Boris Johnson of lacking sincerity in negotiations over Northern Ireland’s future and warned of “serious consequences” if Downing Street suspended the post-Brexit deal.

As he emerged from his latest tense meeting with the UK’s Brexit minister, the EU commissioner Maroš Šefčovič said that despite Brussels’ attempts to find a compromise, “we have seen no move at all from the UK side”.

The two sides have been locked in talks for three weeks over changes to how the Brexit deal works to ensure the free flow of trade between Britain and Northern Ireland. The EU has offered to cut customs controls in half and health checks on animal and plant products heading to supermarkets by 80%, but Šefčovič suggested there had been scant effort by David Frost, the Brexit minister, to engage with the proposals.

“I found this disappointing and once again I urge the UK government to engage with us sincerely,” Šefčovič said. “From this perspective, I see next week as an important one. We should focus all efforts on reaching a solution as soon as possible.

“Our aim should be to establish stability and predictability for Northern Ireland. We hear a lot about article 16 at the moment, but there’ll be no doubt that triggering article 16 to seek the negotiation of the protocol would have serious consequences.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... avid-frost
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

actions have consequences even for the rich
Conservative peer calls for shortage of au pairs to be fixed by special Brexit rules

Nadine Batchelor-Hunt·Political Correspondent - Yahoo News UK
Tue, November 9, 2021, 2:35 PM·3 min read

A Conservative peer has called on the government to introduce special immigration rules to fix a shortage of au pairs.

Baroness Hodgson of Abinger told the House of Lords that Brexit had meant there was no visa route to bring au pairs to the UK.

Speaking in the House of Lords on Monday, she said the lack of au pairs would affect "hard-working families".

She said the government had previously promised a temporary visa work route, but that none had yet to be delivered.

"The au pair scheme... is an excellent scheme: it gives hard-working families the benefit of flexible childcare, and au pairs leave the UK with improved English and are great ambassadors," Baroness Abinger said.

"According to the British Au Pair Agencies Association, Caroline Nokes, the Immigration Minister in 2019, gave assurances that there would be a temporary visa work route for au pairs, but this has not happened.

"Can my noble friend the Minister inform the House of when we can expect this to occur and will she undertake to expedite this issue?

According to the British Au Pair Agencies Associations (BAPAA), over 40,000 families in the UK relied on au pairs for childcare when changes to immigration rules came into place post-Brexit.

Baroness Abinger's comments were mocked by some, with Conservative peer Lord Lilley - a high-profile supporter of Brexit - warning that peers would be "left open to ridicule if the only exception we are prepared to make is to help us deal with the servant problem".

https://news.yahoo.com/conservative-pee ... 19278.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Comment: au pair shortage will hold on as long covid is a major issue, it's just about health care. On the other hand I can envision au pairs to get a scarce resource in the UK cause in the EU they have the common social security protections in all countries and the UK is now out of those regulations. While I don't know the new immigration rules that came in effect at the same time of the final Brexit, I guess the au pair will need to purchase extra health care while previously it was part of their health insurance at home valid in all of the EU. While the guest families would be expected to pay for this, it has to already been signed up for at the time of visa application. I wonder if they also need to show some savings same as every other work visa applicants, teens may not have such funds to present. I am not aware how the prior rules had been in case of the relation at the guest family turned sour, it's possible that they were allowed to change employment. I fear the new rules have a slave condition, eg return home as the only option.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Only Nine Applications For UK Fuel Tanker HGV Scheme
Sam Bright
11 November 2021

A flagship Government scheme to deal with fuel shortages received only a handful of applications, Sam Bright reveals

Haulage companies only applied for nine people to join a UK Government scheme designed to boost the number of fuel tanker drivers, Byline Times can reveal.

The Government launched the scheme in early October, amid a shortage of fuel in the UK, encouraging 300 EU drivers without a visa to enter the country. However, a recent written parliamentary question shows that only nine applications were made under the scheme, just 3% of the total.

The scheme contained a number of criteria: the drivers needed an EU licence to drive HGV fuel tankers, alongside a commitment not to claim benefits, an intention to leave the UK after the expiry of the scheme, and an endorsement letter from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). Ultimately, due to low demand, only nine endorsement letters were sent by the department.

Byline Times understands from individuals in the haulage industry that many drivers have been put off by the Government’s stringent requirements for EU drivers. Notably, the drivers are only allowed to remain in the country until the end of March. Driving a fuel tanker is a highly specialised occupation, and there is a shortage of HGV drivers in Europe – too many jobs and too few drivers. Therefore, industry figures believe the UK Government offered few incentives for foreign drivers to make the leap to the UK.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/11/11/only ... gv-scheme/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Half of UK exporters to EU are trading less or have stopped trading post-Brexit[
And to add insult to injury, 16 per cent of UK firms have partially or entirely move their EU operations inside the single market

by Andra Maciuca 2021-11-16 13:14

Almost half of UK businesses that traded with the EU before Brexit are trading less or have completely stopped trading with the bloc since Britain’s exit from the customs union in January.

In the latest blow to the British economy, 16 per cent of UK businesses took the decision to partially or entirely move their EU operations inside the single market post-Brexit, according to an Institute of Directors survey.

The data emerged as UK-EU trade significantly declined at the beginning of the year because of additional bureaucracy caused by Brexit, and EU imports to the UK are far behind December 2020 levels.

Government response

But a government spokesperson told City AM that the exporting process is “set by the EU” and that the government will “continue to give businesses the support they need to trade effectively with the EU”.

The spokesperson mentioned an Export Support Service has recently been launched to help UK exporters “access information” to help them export to the continent.

They added exporters have been having access to webinars and a network of 300 trade consultants in the light of Brexit.

Meanwhile, UK business leaders have warned Boris Johnson’s government against suspending the Brexit deal with the EU, saying a “devastating” trade war is looming over Britain’s economy over the next few weeks.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... it-301336/

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”