Hijack this thread

DejaMoo

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Jacob T. Levy@jtlevy

State-level Republican dirty tricks: the NC GOP waits until Dem members of the state House are at a 9/11 ceremony, then holds a surprise vote to override Dem governor's budget veto.
'Trickery, deception and lies': Gov. Cooper blasts Republicans after surprise vote on budget veto override
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The North Carolina House of Representatives held a surprise emergency session on September 11 and voted to override Gov. Roy Cooper's veto of the General Assembly's proposed budget.

Democrats said they were lied to and specifically told no vote would happen Wednesday morning, while many of them were at 9/11 memorial events. Instead, Republicans held a vote with 64 of the 120 members of the House present. The vote ended up being 55-9 with the nine present Democrats voting against the override and vehemently objecting to the vote taking place.
I've heard this bull before.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:05 am

I just have to say on this 911 that the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville is very moving. We have been there several times. The first time there was nothing more than objects left by people. Over the years we’ve watched it turn into the full-scale, finished memorial it now is. We stopped by there last month with the grandkids. Grandson was too young to get much, I think, but the ten-year old granddaughter understood for the first time was it’s all about. She found it very sobering. When we walked along the wall, there were fresh flowers left. She knew they were for one of the flight attendants.

If you find yourself along the PA turnpike, it’s worth the stop.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Publishers Clearing House is advertising yet another sweepstakes, this one promising $1,000 per day for life. Curious, I went out to their website to see the odds.

Odds of winning - 1 in 6,2OO,OOO,OOO

I think I'll pass.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:35 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:31 pm
Publishers Clearing House is advertising yet another sweepstakes, this one promising $1,000 per day for life. Curious, I went out to their website to see the odds.

Odds of winning - 1 in 6,2OO,OOO,OOO

I think I'll pass.
Then I'll buy two. Yours and mine. Now don't come running to me for your $500 per day for life.

Math is hard.... for some people.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Somehow PCH repeatedly calculates the odds of their sweepstakes as 1 in 6 Trillion - - which, if you look it up in the World Almanac, is greater than the entire population of Planet Earth. PCH only runs its sweepstakes in the US and Canada. So it would appear that PCH has rigged it so nobody will win, yet someone always does.

About 25 years ago Ed McMahon, who was for many years the face and voice of the PCH sweepstakes, switched to being the spokesmodel for a competitor's sweepstakes (which was evidently very short-lived).

Somewhere, somebody must have done a MBA thesis on the PCH sweepstakes. If anyone knows of such a study, please let me know the particulars.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:40 pm
Somewhere, somebody must have done a MBA thesis on the PCH sweepstakes. If anyone knows of such a study, please let me know the particulars.
MBA programs don’t generally require theses.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:06 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27 am
Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:40 pm
MBA programs don’t generally require theses.
Mathematicians make these kind of calculations, rather very basic stuff on probabilities.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:07 am

Contaminant That May Be Causing the Mysterious Vaping-Related Illnesses Found
Many of the products used by sick patients contained an oil derived from vitamin E, according to news reports

By Yasemin Saplakoglu, LiveScience on September 6, 2019

For weeks, officials have searched for what could be causing a string of vaping-related respiratory illnesses across the country. Now, they may have found a clue: Many of the products used by the patients contained a common contaminant—an oil derived from vitamin E, according to news reports.

The news of the contaminant comes from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which shared the information with state officials in a telephone briefing this week, The Washington Post reported. But it’s not clear if this contaminant is indeed causing the illnesses, and the investigation is far from over, officials said.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ses-found/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:57 am

https://www.routefifty.com/public-safet ... sm/159836/
A New Law Aims to Help Drivers with Autism Prevent Miscommunication with Police

Texas drivers with communication disorders such as autism now have the option to disclose their condition when registering a vehicle, allowing law enforcement officers to see during traffic stops that the motorist may have difficulty communicating.

The Samuel Allen Law, named after a 24-year-old Texas A&M-San Antonio graduate with Asperger’s syndrome, took effect Sept. 1. The legislation, passed unanimously by the Texas Legislature, allows people with conditions or disabilities that may impede communication (such as autism, deafness, post-traumatic stress disorder, Parkinson’s and Asperger’s, and autism spectrum disorder) to submit a medical form disclosing their condition to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.

The DMV notes the condition on the vehicle registration. The information will then pop up in the Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System anytime the license plate number is run by a police officer. The registration tells the officer prior to approaching the car that the driver may have trouble communicating, but does not disclose details of his or her specific condition. Participation is voluntary.

Allen, who was diagnosed with Asperger’s at age 10, worked on the legislation for five years with his mother. The measure was important, he said, because behaviors typical of Asperger’s (unusual body language, as well as difficulties with eye contact and facial expressions) could easily be interpreted as aggression or disobedience during an encounter with law enforcement.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:57 am
https://www.routefifty.com/public-safet ... sm/159836/
A New Law Aims to Help Drivers with Autism Prevent Miscommunication with Police

Texas drivers with communication disorders such as autism now have the option to disclose their condition when registering a vehicle, allowing law enforcement officers to see during traffic stops that the motorist may have difficulty communicating.

The Samuel Allen Law, named after a 24-year-old Texas A&M-San Antonio graduate with Asperger’s syndrome, took effect Sept. 1. The legislation, passed unanimously by the Texas Legislature, allows people with conditions or disabilities that may impede communication (such as autism, deafness, post-traumatic stress disorder, Parkinson’s and Asperger’s, and autism spectrum disorder) to submit a medical form disclosing their condition to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.

The DMV notes the condition on the vehicle registration. The information will then pop up in the Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System anytime the license plate number is run by a police officer. The registration tells the officer prior to approaching the car that the driver may have trouble communicating, but does not disclose details of his or her specific condition. Participation is voluntary.

Allen, who was diagnosed with Asperger’s at age 10, worked on the legislation for five years with his mother. The measure was important, he said, because behaviors typical of Asperger’s (unusual body language, as well as difficulties with eye contact and facial expressions) could easily be interpreted as aggression or disobedience during an encounter with law enforcement.
Interesting. If the info is on the registration that means the officer has to actually run the tag before getting the info, and that isn't usually done when the initial stop and driver contact is made. Most of the time, that's when things go sideways, not after the officer gets the license, runs the DL and tag and then returns to the driver after getting the information.

Years ago, several states offered specialty tags to signify a deaf driver, but they were soon discontinued after nobody bought one because all it did was signify the driver was an easy target. And even more years ago than that, I taught some in-service classes at the police academy on how officers could identify the possibility that they might be dealing with a deaf driver.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 pm

When I worked for MCSO they always called in the plate as the deputy was pulling the car over. Dispatch would relay anything significant about the license of the owner. Not that the DL always matched the person who owned the car. Too many times the owner was listed as having a suspended license.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 pm
When I worked for MCSO they always called in the plate as the deputy was pulling the car over. Dispatch would relay anything significant about the license of the owner. Not that the DL always matched the person who owned the car. Too many times the owner was listed as having a suspended license.
I think the County might call in the plates first, but PD doesn't. The city has a lot more officers and is a lot busier so they just give the location, tag number and description of the vehicle when they make a stop. After they get the DL from the driver they may ask for the registration info on the tag or wants on the driver, or they might just write a ticket and send them on their way. Between the beat officers and traffic units and special assignments, there might be upwards of 100 or more stops per hour with basically 4 dispatchers handling all that plus the regular radio traffic of wrecks and meet the complainant and burglar alarms. We have some officers who write 15 or 20 tickets each, on every shift. Every dept has different SOP for traffic stops.

35 years ago when I was with Dallas, you didn't make a traffic stop without backup unless you were a 2-man car. I have no idea how they do things now.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 pm

https://www. facebook.com/decadesrockmusic/videos/447726569165486/?__xts__[0]=68.ARDlyZvX9xSjWx-1Gf6ggLl_XI-gAeZud0YOiReR2fM2UC-_T9lES9bFLRFGY7vj-m3eMVIElwNFa4ZmhoOPLKsq4rEI951I3zpZ4eUs6PE9uy34PDh2GsM4WPdhvi1cEhOgOoH6BqgaWBbJxpBxaUYy_X4Tm05rdFGmityjiFfYNi5TJ2IwLNceIkixegQkurl96eJvTRYk06wGGup2Zhop_m4zMBtZ6Mwy_5Yc4x7yjqvicBqE6O5n5sYBD1-eC5tsnxYs02b5M1V1lbi1Ej2QOLL8UBudaNdKi6fstoXVj9aI5lD0EVjJhm-Mb0G5I5PNCigsKtncIUh1bxRTNC3ew-LbS2AepmC3ss7-sZLUalnZGPOHJMtxYN9B-VgI3w&__tn__=-R

Wow. I am curious, did this come before or after the Heart tributes to Zep with the Seattle Symphony behind them (late 70s, I was there).

Note: video won't embed, so if you have FB and love Led Zep, follow the crumbs to the video...

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Well, I got to this: https://m.facebook.com/decadesrockmusic/ , but then there’s no clue how far back to go. What are we looking for?

Like date and time, group, text...
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

tek

Post by tek » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Here's what the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge thinks of Lana Del Rey’s new album title
(paywall, probably)
Hey, Lana Del Rey — if you’re reading this, the folks over at the Norman Rockwell Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of the artist’s work, would like to have a quick word with you about the title of your new album, “Norman [Expletive] Rockwell!”

No, they aren’t upset by the use of the “F” word smack-dab in the middle of Norman Rockwell’s name on your latest effort. In fact, they’re thrilled by how your music — and the album’s pointed title — seems to be igniting conversations around the famed American illustrator and painter, and his influential legacy.
[...]

So how did everyone feel about the...er...F-bomb?

Some Museum patrons and trustees called us with mixed reactions – depending on their ages, familiarity with Lana Del Rey’s music, and personal language formality. But most recognized that we are witnessing generational shifts in culture and use of language — what older generations find disrespectful, younger generations are expressively using.

Did anyone listen to the album?

Yes, many of us did. Lana Del Rey has a beautiful voice and her songs are evocative ballads. Even if her music was not to everyone’s taste, all appreciated her talent and her ability to paint a picture through song, much as Norman Rockwell painted soulful and heartfelt pictures. Several staff members are Lana fans; others have children who are fans.
There's no way back
from there to here

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:09 am

I'm a bit conflicted.

The psycho we had as a roommate last year (the one we had to do eviction proceedings on) passed away on September 1. A few days ago, we were discussing whether or not to file for any compensation (we had until 9/13 to do so) and decided against it, since she more than likely wasn't working, had multiple warrants out by the court system, and still had a felony charge pending (court date was set for next week).

I don't know why she passed away. She was 45. My initial reactions to finding this out was "At least she won't be able to grift anyone else" and "We can take down the No Trespassing sign on the door with her name on it".

This woman put us through hell. She pissed on the carpet one night that we caught on a camera. She refused to leave the house after we asked her to so we had to go through eviction proceedings. She dumped her cat's litterbox on the floor of the room she was staying in. She NEVER paid the rent she agreed to. She stole my Xanax, my dog's Xanax, and the pain killers I had left over from a surgery. We were essentially trapped in our rooms the last couple of weeks she was there, unable to leave our rooms because of fear she would get violent.

When she did finally leave she stole stuff out of the room she was in. Just some baskets in a cube storage thing, but still, not hers to take.

Does it make me a bad person that my first few thoughts were of relief and not any type of sympathy for her parents?
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:56 am

Jez wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:09 am
I'm a bit conflicted.

The psycho we had as a roommate last year (the one we had to do eviction proceedings on) passed away on September 1. A few days ago, we were discussing whether or not to file for any compensation (we had until 9/13 to do so) and decided against it, since she more than likely wasn't working, had multiple warrants out by the court system, and still had a felony charge pending (court date was set for next week).

I don't know why she passed away. She was 45. My initial reactions to finding this out was "At least she won't be able to grift anyone else" and "We can take down the No Trespassing sign on the door with her name on it".

This woman put us through hell. She pissed on the carpet one night that we caught on a camera. She refused to leave the house after we asked her to so we had to go through eviction proceedings. She dumped her cat's litterbox on the floor of the room she was staying in. She NEVER paid the rent she agreed to. She stole my Xanax, my dog's Xanax, and the pain killers I had left over from a surgery. We were essentially trapped in our rooms the last couple of weeks she was there, unable to leave our rooms because of fear she would get violent.

When she did finally leave she stole stuff out of the room she was in. Just some baskets in a cube storage thing, but still, not hers to take.

Does it make me a bad person that my first few thoughts were of relief and not any type of sympathy for her parents?
Her parents might be feeling some relief as well.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:33 am

That makes you human, jez.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Reminds me of the headstone that says "I TOLD you I was sick!"

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Update on our favoritist Oregonian reporter Les Zaitz!

https://www.salemreporter.com/posts/126 ... ge-to-come
On Salem Reporter's anniversary, thoughts of more local news coverage to come
At Salem Reporter, we've been so busy finding and reporting news, we haven't paused to note our anniversary. Our editor looks back on the past year, and invites readers to help set the agenda and future growth for the year ahead.
By Les Zaitz - Salem Reporter September 16, 2019 at 8:24am
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Jez wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:09 am
I'm a bit conflicted.

The psycho we had as a roommate last year (the one we had to do eviction proceedings on) passed away on September 1.
:snippity:
My stance has always been that victims owe their victimizers NOTHING, and that includes understanding, sympathy, and forgiveness. In my view, that's just popular bullshit that enables and excuses the victimizers while minimizing the victims and their suffering.

I have a saying for when people like her die: She made the world a better place . . . by leaving it.

As for her parents, there are two possibilities: 1. They're just like her, so they helped make her what she was. If so, no sympathy. 2. They're not like her, and she used and abused them just like she did with others. If so, they probably feel some grief and a lot of relief. Either way, their lives will be easier now that she's gone.

You're allowed to exult when bad things happen to bad people. It's not as if you made it happen - but since bad stuff happens to all of us sooner or later, you might as well take pleasure in it when it happens to someone who did you (or others) wrong.

Speaking of which - this calls for making yourself a Schadenfreude Pie! :thumbs:
...the pie to enjoy while you are reveling in the horrible misfortunes of others. Why is there a Schadenfreude Pie? Because after I wrote the headline for this entry, I wondered to myself, “what would Schadenfreude Pie taste like?”

My guess: Dark. Rich. And oh so bittersweet.

And you know what? That’s exactly what it tastes like. Also — and this is really just a perfect but unintentional extension of the whole schadenfreude metaphor — you really only want a small slice; too much of this pie and it’ll sit in the pit of your stomach like a rock of judgment, pulling you down. Small slice? Excellent. Big slice? You’ll regret it. Just like schadenfreude itself.
I've heard this bull before.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Ok. That pie looks good. :D Might have to make it.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Will you be making Klingon Revenge next? Taste fine warm, but, of course, best served cold.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 pm

CALIFORNIA CHURCH CHARGED WITH USING HOMELESS PEOPLE AS FORCED LABOR
BY TAAMEEN MOHAMMAD ON 9/11/19 AT 1:50 PM EDT

Leaders of a California church subjected dozens of homeless people to forced labor, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Members of the Imperial Valley Ministries were arrested Tuesday in Californian cities El Centro and San Diego and in Brownsville, Texas, after reportedly coercing homeless people into surrendering their welfare benefits and forcing them to beg for up to nine hours a day, six days a week. The donations they received would then allegedly go to into the pockets of church leaders.

A dozen members of the ministry, including former pastor Victor Gonzalez, have been charged with conspiracy, forced labor, document servitude and benefit fraud. If found guilty, they face up to 20 years each in prison.

"The indictment alleges an appalling abuse of power by church officials who preyed on vulnerable homeless people with promises of a warm bed and meals," said U.S. Attorney Robert Brewer in filings. "These victims were held captive, stripped of their humble financial means, their identification, their freedom and their dignity."

Imperial Valley Ministries (IVM) claims its mission is to "restore" those grappling with drug addiction at free faith-based rehabilitation group homes. It also raise money to open churches and rehab centers in other cities.

Most of the alleged victims were recruited from outside El Centro, including from San Diego and Texas, with offers of free food and shelter. According to prosecutors, IVM also promised new members they would be given resources to eventually return home.

When recruits checked into a group home, they were reportedly required to sign agreements with strict regulations, such such as "you are not to discuss things of the world" and "the only thing to be read is the holy Bible." Phone calls were prohibited and, except on Sundays, recruits were only served two meals a day.

https://www.newsweek.com/forced-labor-i ... ry-1458797

Return to “The Lounge”