Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The rise of Christian Nationalism

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Beware of the rise of Arizona's unholy Christian nationalists
Opinion: They don't seem to understand that we can have a United States of America or we can have a Christian nationalist nation but, according to our Constitution, we can't have both.
EJ Montini - Arizona Republic

At first hardly anyone took notice of the Christian nationalist “Pine Tree” flag that was on display on the second floor lobby of the Arizona State Capitol in January.

Versions of that same flag appeared alongside the stars and bars flags of the Confederacy, large crucifixation crosses and Trump banners during the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

The flag at the Arizona Capitol finally got a little attention after the good folks at Secular AZ pointed it out in a blog post.

The group’s legal director wrote a letter to House Speaker Rusty Bowers saying in part, “This flag alienates both those committed to a proper separation of church and state, and those concerned about religiously inspired violent attacks on our democracy and our public officials.”
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 612252002/

tfg Truthed this today:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:vomit:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:14 pm
Beware of the rise of Arizona's unholy Christian nationalists
Opinion: They don't seem to understand that we can have a United States of America or we can have a Christian nationalist nation but, according to our Constitution, we can't have both.
EJ Montini - Arizona Republic

At first hardly anyone took notice of the Christian nationalist “Pine Tree” flag that was on display on the second floor lobby of the Arizona State Capitol in January.

Versions of that same flag appeared alongside the stars and bars flags of the Confederacy, large crucifixation crosses and Trump banners during the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

The flag at the Arizona Capitol finally got a little attention after the good folks at Secular AZ pointed it out in a blog post.

The group’s legal director wrote a letter to House Speaker Rusty Bowers saying in part, “This flag alienates both those committed to a proper separation of church and state, and those concerned about religiously inspired violent attacks on our democracy and our public officials.”
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 612252002/

tfg Truthed this today:
► Show Spoiler
Jesus is my savior
Trump is my President
Feckin' Crazy is my diagnosis.

They are telling you who they are and what they plan to do: Believe them.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Add in a poisonous snek ...

tree_snake.jpg
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Short piece, they go over a poll showing the prevalence of support for Christian Nationalism within the Republican Party. Interesting.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0599822598
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

A survey conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute and the Brookings Institution found that found more than half of Republicans believe the US should be a strictly Christian nation, adhering to the ideals of Christian nationalism or sympathizing with those views.
Jesus Christ, these people scare me.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Resume18 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:56 am
A survey conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute and the Brookings Institution found that found more than half of Republicans believe the US should be a strictly Christian nation, adhering to the ideals of Christian nationalism or sympathizing with those views.
Jesus Christ, these people scare me.
I see what you did there. :biggrin:
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Umm, unless you are willing to include Roman Catholics as Christians (which many evangelicals are definitely not willing to do), then Christianity isn't even the majority of Americans any more.

Protestant 46.5%
Roman Catholic 20.8%
Church of Jesus Christ 1.6%
other Christian 0.9%

Jewish 1.9%
Muslim 0.9%
Jehovah's Witness 0.8%
Buddhist 0.7%
Hindu 0.7%
other 1.8%
unaffiliated 22.8%
don't know/refused 0.6% (2014 est.)

Source: https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/ ... nd-society
Out from under. :thumbsup:
much ado

Post by much ado »

Scientific American: The U.S. Is Retreating from Religion

This is an extrapolated graph published in 2017:

Suggesting that Unaffiliated will outnumber Protestants in 2030, and look at which denomination is losing.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Revealed: documents shed light on shadowy US far-right fraternal order
New documents detail inner workings of Society for American Civic Renewal, group with an emphasis on Christian nationalism

Jason Wilson
Tue 19 Mar 2024 12.00 CET

New documents have shed light on the origins and inner workings of the shadowy Society for American Civic Renewal (SACR), including methods for judging the beliefs of potential members on topics such as Christian nationalism, and indications that its founders sought inspiration in an apartheid-era South African white men-only group, the Afrikaner-Broederbond.

They also show that Boise State University Professor and Claremont thinktank scholar Scott Yenor tried to coordinate SACR’s activities with other initiatives, including an open letter on “Christian marriage”.

One expert says that one of the new documents – some previously reported in Talking Points Memo – use biblical references that suggest a preparedness for violent struggle against the current “regime”.

The SACR is a secretive far-right men-only organization with an emphasis on Christian nationalism and a desire to open branches across the US.

The Guardian has previously reported on SACR’s close links to the Claremont Institute, an influential rightwing thinktank with fellows who have participated in attempts to overturn the 2020 election and promoted the idea that an authoritarian “Red Caesar” might redeem a US republic they see as decadent.

SACR’s origins appear to date to the latter half of 2020, with key milestones in the group’s development coming over the following 18 months.

And there are indications that the inner circle of the group sought inspiration from earlier iterations of Christian nationalism in authoritarian states.

As previously reported in the Guardian, Skyler Kressin, a tax consultant based in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, appears to play a central administrative role in SACR. Idaho and Texas company records show that Kressin incorporated lodges in Boise, Coeur d’Alene and Dallas; serves as a director of the Coeur d’Alene and Dallas lodges; and was named as the principal officer of the parent organization on its 2020-21 tax return.

On 30 October 2020, Kressin wrote an email to Yenor with the question “that good?”, along with a screenshot of an Amazon listing for Super-Afrikaners, a book by the investigative journalists Ivor Wilkins and Hans Strydom.

First published in 1978, Super-Afrikaners exposed the workings of South Africa’s Broederbond, a secretive, exclusive, men-only network that promoted the interests of white Afrikaners in that country and which is credited with a significant role in bringing the National party – the architects of apartheid – to power.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... order-sacr
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

"Unaffiliated?"

Who's making these choices these days.

Does "Unaffiliated" mean Christian but not belonging to a denomination?

Does it mean "Atheists and agnostics?"

WTF? Why can't the category say, "Percent of the population that does not believe in supernatural deities" or some such.

Such supposed research that falls flat on its face right out of the gate by failing to define its terms in the damn graph drives me nuts. They can't even define "religion." Or rather, they pretend to define it as it it most often thoughtlessly defined. A practice that always leads to "religious" being confused with "ethical/moral".

This is my once a year post on the media's cluelessness when it comes to atheism. A-theism, dudes; not a subset of theisms.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:13 pm :snippity:
This is my once a year post on the media's cluelessness when it comes to atheism. A-theism, dudes; not a subset of theisms.
Atheism is a religion the same way as bald is a hair color... :biggrin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It behaves pretty much as a religion. It has its Profits, clergy, fanatics and theology that must not be questioned. It has people who are really dogmatic and attack you if you bring up a fact that threatens their world view. If Atheism is not a religion it's doing a very good job of pretending to be.

You should see how people reacted online to scientists finding that there was a huge famine at the right time to be the Great Famine Joseph predicted in the Bible. People were screaming that didn't mean anything and it was irrelevant etc etc. Of course rational religious me was just saying that the famine existed was just a data point that confirms something in the Bible - namely that there was a famine in the right area at around the right time, nothing else - but BOY I got insulted for saying even that.

If you are a true rationalist you will accept that there are lots of things in the Bible that are based on things that really happened, even if the details are wrong. And that it can be regarded as a probably biased, but in places fairly accurate history of the Kingdom of Israel. But that goes against the Theology and scriptures of Atheism and makes people feel less smart for rejecting the whole thing, so BURN HIM AT THE STAKE (ironically!)!!

In some ways Atheism is like Hagel's Antithesis to Religion's Thesis. But both sides are a Thesis. Sorry.

And of course you have those people who say Buddhism is not a Religion because they don't believe in a god or gods... and they go nuts when you tell them, even if you accept that as a narrow definition of a Religion, that's not actually true of Buddhism. And Buddhism sure as all hell believes in God or gods in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creator_in_Buddhism

By the way, I found out fairly recently that, despite a lot of movies that show it, people were not Burned at the Stake in the Americas. They were usually hanged. Probably wood was too precious to waste on roast heretic.
Hic sunt dracones
northland10

Post by northland10 »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:13 pm "Unaffiliated?"

Who's making these choices these days.

Does "Unaffiliated" mean Christian but not belonging to a denomination?

Does it mean "Atheists and agnostics?"

WTF? Why can't the category say, "Percent of the population that does not believe in supernatural deities" or some such.

Such supposed research that falls flat on its face right out of the gate by failing to define its terms in the damn graph drives me nuts. They can't even define "religion." Or rather, they pretend to define it as it it most often thoughtlessly defined. A practice that always leads to "religious" being confused with "ethical/moral".

Unaffiliated, also called "nones" are a mix of agnostics, those who consider themselves religious but are not part of any congregation (which are sort of agnositcs but with possibly a closer attachment or show up at some church twice a year), Spiritual but not religious, atheists, etc.

Yeah, I know the ones I listed may overlap heavily or even be the same thing but I included the to show the different ways people refer to the nones.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks. I do understand that. I just find it ignorant (the way of categorizing "religions", not you <3).

Sort of like how one used to find "women" lumped in with "minorities" in various socioeconomic breakdowns. Or was it "Women and other minorities". The bias just screams.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:26 pm Thanks. I do understand that. I just find it ignorant (the way of categorizing "religions", not you <3).

Sort of like how one used to find "women" lumped in with "minorities" in various socioeconomic breakdowns. Or was it "Women and other minorities". The bias just screams.
They categorize us Anglicans as Protestants even though we like to think we are Protestant and Catholic (however, not Roman Catholic). Okay, we are a bit odd.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:37 pm
They categorize us Anglicans as Protestants even though we like to think we are Protestant and Catholic (however, not Roman Catholic). Okay, we are a bit odd.
As I say Catholic Lite...

All the pageantry, none of the guilt... :lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Barry was right, we didn't listen though.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:37 pm
p0rtia wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:26 pm Thanks. I do understand that. I just find it ignorant (the way of categorizing "religions", not you <3).

True, in the nicest of ways. Blame H8 for that! ;)

I'm quite sure there are thoughtful studies out there on this topic that start by defining "religion" for the purposes of organizing their data. If I weren't just ranting, I'd try to find some good ones. I don't even care how they define religion (much), as long as it consistently supports the divisions they've come up with.

So stick the 20 percent of atheists into another chart. Then get a definition of religion that actually covers the various groups you're cmoparing. Maybe people who say they follow or believe in a social organization that believes in supernatural forces or supernatural deities. You'd get higher percentages for the traditional religions. Then you could get onto some solid ground by separating out monotheism from, I don't know, everything else.
realist

Post by realist »

Suranis wrote:It behaves pretty much as a religion. It has its Profits, clergy, fanatics and theology that must not be questioned. It has people who are really dogmatic and attack you if you bring up a fact that threatens their world view. If Atheism is not a religion it's doing a very good job of pretending to be.
:yeahthat:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I just realised I spelled "Prophets" as "Profits." I didn't actually mean to do that! :lol:

Those Freudian slips are getting clever. :mrgreen:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

It's your AI algorithm that is taking over ;)
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:36 pm I just realised I spelled "Prophets" as "Profits." I didn't actually mean to do that! :lol:

Those Freudian slips are getting clever. :mrgreen:
I thought you did it on purpose.

Worked just fine for me.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Suranis wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:42 pm It [atheism]behaves pretty much as a religion. It has its Profits, clergy, fanatics and theology that must not be questioned. It has people who are really dogmatic and attack you if you bring up a fact that threatens their world view. If Atheism is not a religion it's doing a very good job of pretending to be.
I appreciate you went to a brain-rotting seminary but that surely is arrogant stupidity beyond what your cult leaders taught you!

I am a typical atheist, I don't follow anyone, I am not a fanatic, I certainly do not know of any clergy (when has there ever been an atheist service?). I am not a member of any organized grouping. My moral viewpoint is probably broadly humanist but I never pay any attention to about organization telling me about humanism as a philosophy, I just get on with being a decent person. I am typical.

Atheists have no theology – by definition: even a seminarian should be able to understand that and why!

As for facts which threaten our world views, what the heck could those be? If you are talking about the way you apologists slimily explain away inconsistencies or falsehoods in your magic books as misreadings or misinterpretations, we don't care. It's all make-believe, it matters no more than arguing about whether the transporters in Star Trek are feasible.

So everything you wrote was untrue. False. Lies. You wrote to provoke out of the hatefulness that your church preached and you too often practise.

If ever there were an example of how religion can rot the mind, this crap from you is it. You have engaged in serial what-aboutism to excuse your precious church's disgusting behavior, and now you insult those who recognize that misogynistic bullies in sillly clothes haranguing congregations with fantastical fairy tales, pompous incantations and incense are not especially worthy of respect or attention.

Have some respect for those who are not as terminally deluded as you.
duck dodgers
Verified: ✅ Until 23,500

Post by duck dodgers »

:yeahthat:
"You can syndicate any boat you row"

Return to “Religion and Politics”