Student Loan Forgiveness Lawsuits

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

So far I think comments about student loan forgiveness lawsuits have been made in the Joe Biden thread, but I think we should have a separate thread for them.

The tweet I saw today with the latest news -

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I wish the states’ reply wasn’t at Scribd, but I can’t find it anywhere else.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Spiro’s Ghost @SpiroAgnewGhost wrote: BREAKING: Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett has rejected the latest bid to block President Biden's student loan-relief plan.
Better source:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Federal court strikes down Biden's student loan forgiveness program

A federal judge in Texas has struck down President Joe Biden's student loan forgiveness program, declaring it illegal.

The lawsuit was filed by a conservative group, the Job Creators Network Foundation, in October on behalf of two borrowers who did not qualify for debt relief.

Biden's program had been accepting applications for student loan relief but no debt had been canceled yet because the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals, which is hearing a separate legal challenge, put an administrative hold on the program on October 21.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/10/politics ... index.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
raison de arizona

Thanks!
HoperUp

Post by HoperUp »

I'm all for personal responsibility, and honestly, I believe if someone willingly takes a loan and then simply decides not to pursue their studies, they shouldn't expect forgiveness. But if someone's been misled or taken advantage of, that's a different ball game.

Initially, I was thrilled to have financial support for my education, but things went south when I realized the terms weren't in my favor. The terms weren't clear, and I felt taken advantage of. I worked with a lawyer specializing in legal solutions for bankruptcy in San Diego, and he got me a partial refund. It's not a total forgiveness, but I am responsible for my decision years ago to take a student loan.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

HoperUp wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:49 am I'm all for personal responsibility, and honestly, I believe if someone willingly takes a loan and then simply decides not to pursue their studies, they shouldn't expect forgiveness. But if someone's been misled or taken advantage of, that's a different ball game.
:wave: Welcome aboard!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

HoperUp wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:49 am I'm all for personal responsibility, and honestly, I believe if someone willingly takes a loan and then simply decides not to pursue their studies, they shouldn't expect forgiveness. But if someone's been misled or taken advantage of, that's a different ball game.
And a rather critical piece : most of these people were kids when the got the loan, kids that were told that if they didn't do this, they would end up being poor and unemployable. So authority figures making threats and targeting a group that has just gotten the legal power to make such deals but are probably at least half a decade from finishing their brain development.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

OR

we took out student loans and have been paying on them for over 20 years and the amount owed is the same as what we borrowed even after paying on them~
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sad-cafe wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:35 pm OR

we took out student loans and have been paying on them for over 20 years and the amount owed is the same as what we borrowed even after paying on them~
I keep saying part of the problem is the cost of college is outlandish because of the layers of administration that have accreted over the years. Academics have no idea what they do other than add 6-figure salary bloat to the budget (or more). Then there are the football coaches who make more money than almost anyone else on the public payroll. Reduce the cost, make sure lending and costs are transparent, and stop preying on vulnerable people.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I saw an article about 7 years ago which compared salaries for professors then versus something like 30 years before. Adjusted for inflation, they were pretty comparable. Yes, it's all the administrative overhead that's been added.

I would love for Congress to reverse that stupid law which removed student loans from bankruptcy proceedings. They should also be dischargeable.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Halfway through my degree they introduced HECS (pay for uni), which was a bit rude imo.
Paid it off in a few years of work (it was basically a tax debt).
But then our uni fees were not funding football nor was it a for profit uni.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

This was about 20 years ago, so they may have changed it since then, but when I became disabled, I learned that I could have my Student Loans discharged. The only caveat is that if I ever applied for Financial Aid again, I'd have to pay back my earlier loans.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”