Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Denmark

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Denmark

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/den ... airy-tales
This Humble Home Launched a Thousand Fairy Tales

In the town of Odense, a new interactive museum pays homage to author Hans Christian Andersen and his whimsical legacy.

The bustling scene [preparing for the Queen of Denmark's arrival] was a stone’s throw from a quiet one-story cottage, the childhood home of Hans Christian Andersen, wunderkind author of beloved fairy tales including The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Pea, and The Emperor’s New Clothes. While the street today is a charming curve of perky yellow and orange thatched-roofed dwellings, in his time, this was the dregs. The Andersens’ roof was made of cloth, the floors little more than packed dirt.

Now, his hometown of Odense on the Danish island of Funen is unveiling the H.C. Andersen House, a $62 million swirling dream of interactive museum, curious garden, and public park. The esteemed Japanese architect Kengo Kuma was enlisted to design the venue over nearly one and a half acres—a sizeable space for a small European town. When I visited in late June, a day before Queen Margrethe II was slated for her tour, the paint on the walls was not yet dry and feeble saplings were being hastily placed in rows of soil. It was clear, nonetheless, that this paean to this country’s most celebrated creative mind would soon evolve into a wild wonderland.

Throughout his life, Andersen toyed with realities and perceptions—both personal and societal. He is credited with saying, “It is out of reality that the most peculiar tale of all is born.” Because of his unique sensibilities and approach to life, the experience at this museum is unlike any other, creative director Henrik Lübker asserts. “How you navigate and use of objects is not just passive. Normally, you have the voice of the curator everywhere. In Andersen’s universe, there are different voices that claim to have the truth. It’s up to you to find meaning in that. Meaning is something that you create.”

The magical technology of the museum’s design includes cutting-edge digital tracking that will allow objects, such as, say, a seashell, to “know” when a visitor is as close as 10 centimeters and speak to him or her directly. “We don’t want to portray the natural world in a real way,” says curator Nils-Bjorn Friis. “Because that’s not fun.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Denmark

Post by Volkonski »

Queen of Denmark Margarethe II announces abdication live on TV

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-6 ... press.coop
She will abdicate the throne on 14 January, which will be 52 years to the day since she became queen.

"I will leave the throne to my son, Crown Prince Frederik," she announced.

The 83-year-old is the longest serving monarch in Danish history, taking the throne after the death of her father King Frederik IX in 1972.

Unlike British royal tradition, there will be no formal crowning ceremony for Crown Prince Frederik, who is 55. Instead, the palace will announce his ascension on the day.

Queen Margrethe is a popular figure in Denmark, and many Danes had expected her to remain on the throne until her death.

Each year on New Year's Eve, she delivers a speech broadcast on television.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Denmark

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nish-queen
It started with a discussion about chest hair. Twenty-three years later, in what has been called a “real-life fairytale”, Mary Donaldson, a former real estate manager from Tasmania, is poised to become the queen of Denmark.

Her unconventional journey from Australia’s middle class to European royalty began in an unremarkable bar in Sydney in 2000. At the Slip Inn that night, amid Olympic fever, two young women met a group of young men.

A report from the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper described the group as Prince Frederik of Denmark, his cousin, Prince Nikolaos of Greece, his brother, Prince Joachim, and Princess Martha of Norway.

It quoted a friend of Mary’s, Beatrice Tarnawski, who said: “All the girls around the table were discussing what is best – the man with a hairy chest or a man without hair and the princes were wearing open shirts.

“We were allowed to touch Prince Frederik and Prince Nikolaos. I liked Prince Frederik best because he was so smooth. Prince Nikolaos had a lot of hair and that really wasn’t my type.”

Mary, then 28, apparently had no idea who she was talking to.

“The first time we met, we shook hands and I didn’t know he was the crown prince of Denmark. An hour or so later someone came up to me and said, ‘Do you know who these people are?’” she said in 2003.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”