Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Gregg

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by Gregg »

Joe Namath, JJ Walker, and law firms for every class action ever.

Which begs the question, as far as I know, the Auto industry totally quit using asbestos in 1977. I would assume every other one must have around the same time. So just how many people are there with Mesothelioma who didn't actually die?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Gregg wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:45 pm Joe Namath, JJ Walker, and law firms for every class action ever.

Which begs the question, as far as I know, the Auto industry totally quit using asbestos in 1977. I would assume every other one must have around the same time. So just how many people are there with Mesothelioma who didn't actually die?
Asbestos is still a major concern. You can still be exposed during maintenance, renovation, and demolition. It can also take quite a while to develop. Last week was our monthly safety meeting, and asbestos was the topic.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Gregg wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:30 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:27 pm
Gregg wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:18 pm everything the NYAG has will be entered into the record for every prosecutor and class action lawyer in America to dig through like a pile of asbestos ridden hernia patches with Roundup Weed killer and some tax evasion, bank fraud and who knows what else.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I watch a lot of late night TV.
Meanwhile......
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Gregg wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:45 pm Joe Namath, JJ Walker, and law firms for every class action ever.

There are Post Offices all around the United States which have asbestos tiles for flooring. They have all been carefully sealed, and they are marked as containing asbestos fibres. If repairs need to be made to those tiles, outside expert help is called in, as the P.O.'s own maintenance crews are not certified to work on, or with, asbestos.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Off Topic
I actually work in what have to be two of the most asbestos ridden buildings in the world. The motorcar company may have quit using it in 1977 but the reason I know that is because our two old transmission plants are full of the stuff. All the plates in transmissions were asbestos until then, so aside from these two plants having asbestos insulation on the miles and miles of pipes and steam lines (and we do, when they work on them it looks like a space walk and the tent off whole sections of the plant to work on a 10 foot pipe), and not just asbestos floor tyle (we got that too in places, the policy is its more dangerous to remove it sometimes than to leave it) but we also have the dust which is the really bad asbestos anyhow, in between every coat of paint for the first 25 years, in the floors and under them (until the early 80s the floors were not concrete, but wooden cobble blocks that allowed it and oh yeah, all that dirty oil to seep around and through into the ground water). I tell people we have a certain amount of job security because closing and tearing down a 3 million square foot building with as much pollution as we have would cost more than Ford can afford to pay. I imagine the real estate would be worthless just because the cost to use it for anything else.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Azastan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:30 pm

There are Post Offices all around the United States which have asbestos tiles for flooring. They have all been carefully sealed, and they are marked as containing asbestos fibres. If repairs need to be made to those tiles, outside expert help is called in, as the P.O.'s own maintenance crews are not certified to work on, or with, asbestos.
My house had/has asbestos siding when we bought it. We have vinyl siding now, though IIRC (it's been a few years) I think they just put the vinyl over the asbestos, because I don't recall there being a big fuss over removing the asbestos. I think i would have noticed that because I remember our buyer's realtor telling us that the only danger from it would be if it were broken or "disturbed". Otherwise, all the fibers were bonded into the hard boards that make up the siding slats.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:00 am

My house had/has asbestos siding when we bought it. We have vinyl siding now, though IIRC (it's been a few years) I think they just put the vinyl over the asbestos, because I don't recall there being a big fuss over removing the asbestos. I think i would have noticed that because I remember our buyer's realtor telling us that the only danger from it would be if it were broken or "disturbed". Otherwise, all the fibers were bonded into the hard boards that make up the siding slats.
Off Topic
Yes, the issue is that asbestos isn't being used in those applications now, but eventually, when you need to repair your siding, or when you sell your house, the workers/buyers need to know that there's asbestos containing materials in your house. As time goes by, and people forget that the asbestos is there, that's when it becomes dangerous, because people won't recognize it.

I have a house which was built in 1901, there could be quite a bit of asbestos up in the attic and I'd never know it was there.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Trump Organization and former CFO Allen Weisselberg seek dismissal of criminal charges
The Trump Organization and former Chief Financial Officer Allen Weisselberg on Tuesday asked a judge to dismiss the Manhattan district attorney's criminal fraud and tax evasion charges against them, claiming they've been targeted because of politics.
Weisselberg's lawyers claimed the tax charges are related to federal income tax returns, and are therefore not in the Manhattan district attorney's jurisdiction. They also wrote that the charges against Weisselberg should be tossed because he received immunity against certain federal charges when he testified to a federal grand jury investigating former Trump attorney Michael Cohen.

They argued that Cohen's later cooperation in the Manhattan case was in part due to Cohen having a "vendetta" against Weisselberg for his role in Cohen's conviction.
Weisselberg's attorneys are also asking the judge in the case to suppress evidence from two Manhattan district attorney investigators who they say "struck up small talk" with Weisselberg while he was in custody, arguing the investigators essentially tricked him into divulging information he might otherwise not have with a lawyer present.

The judge will rule on the motions to dismiss after prosecutors file their response.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Weisselberg's attorneys are also asking the judge in the case to suppress evidence from two Manhattan district attorney investigators who they say "struck up small talk" with Weisselberg while he was in custody, arguing the investigators essentially tricked him into divulging information he might otherwise not have with a lawyer present.
He forgot to shut the f%*k up?

:lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:50 am

Srsly, law folk, is that a problem? I understand (in the sense of "I have seen it on tv") about reading the perp his rights, and there's a right to have an attorney present (isn't there?) but would the behavior Weasel's attorneys describe be always wrong, sometimes wrong, never wrong? Or, as I suspect, "it depends…"?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Did somebody forget to sing the ode of "Miranda" before getting the poor boy stuck in a cell?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:59 am
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:50 am

Srsly, law folk, is that a problem? I understand (in the sense of "I have seen it on tv") about reading the perp his rights, and there's a right to have an attorney present (isn't there?) but would the behavior Weasel's attorneys describe be always wrong, sometimes wrong, never wrong? Or, as I suspect, "it depends…"?
It… depends. The general rule is any statement that you make while in custody is admissible UNLESS you invoke your rights under the Fifth Amendment. If you invoke, they have to stop asking questions, and get you a lawyer if you request one. The invocation has to be unequivocal: “maybe I should shut up now,” or “do I need a lawyer?” won’t cut it.

Sometimes a person invokes and the questioning stops, then either the person or the cops will restart the conversation. “So what’s going to happen now?” said by the person in custody has been held to be a sufficient waiver. If it’s the cops that reengage, it has to be clear that whatever they say isn’t calculated to invoke an incriminating response.

So it really depends on what this “small talk” involved. “How about those Knicks” isn’t likely to invoke an incriminating response. “You got grandkids?” might, if the implication is that he’s never going to see them again.

The CBS article didn’t have a link to the pleading. I could give a better opinion if I knew what the small talk was about.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Thanks Mayb, that's a neat overview, and gives an idea if what arguments there might be.
raison de arizona

Manhattan DA’s 'doubts' about case against Trump lead two top prosecutors to resign

Two top prosecutors in the office of the Manhattan District Attorney have “abruptly” resigned, throwing the fraud case against Donald Trump into jeopardy.

The New York Times reports the new Manhattan DA, Alvin Bragg, “indicated” to the two prosecutors “that he had doubts about moving forward with a case against Mr. Trump."

The prosecutors have not presented the grand jury with any new evidence in the last month.

“Without Mr. Bragg’s commitment to move forward, the prosecutors late last month postponed a plan to question at least one witness before the grand jury,” the Times reveals. “They have not questioned any witnesses in front of the grand jury for more than a month, essentially pausing their investigation into whether Mr. Trump inflated the value of his assets to obtain favorable loan terms from banks.”
https://www.alternet.org/2022/02/manhattan-da/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:?

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Harry Litman @harrylitman wrote: Mark Poemerantz, a very seasoned and respected pro, in particular brought in to the DA's office to lead the charge, and just can't see his walking away absent serious roadblocks put up by new DA Bragg. Something is really funky here.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Check his bank accounts for suspicious activity.
raison de arizona

Tristan Snell @TristanSnell wrote: Alvin Bragg reportedly took weeks to read memos on the Trump Org case, and wouldn't meet with Pomerantz and Dunne.

This isn't a disagreement. This feels purposeful.

So: what if Bragg is letting the investigation peter out because he got word from the Feds to stand down?
Tristan Snell is the NY AG that prosecuted Trump University, FWIW.
raison de arizona

The fix, as they say, was in. New info from the resignations.
Top Trump Prosecutors Cited Stalled Investigation in Resignation Letters

When two high-ranking prosecutors leading a financial investigation into the Trump Organization abruptly quit last week, the reason seemed to be inaction on the case in the Manhattan District Attorney’s office. Now, a response from the DA’s office to a public records request from The Daily Beast seems to confirm those suspicions.

The two prosecutors, Carey Dunne and Mark Pomerantz, resigned after an unnecessary, month-long pause in the team’s interactions with a special grand jury, The New York Times reported last week. The duo had grown frustrated that the newly elected DA—Alvin Bragg Jr.—wouldn’t read memos about the case for weeks at a time, and seemed to ditch plans to eventually indict former President Donald Trump himself, according to The Washington Post.

It turns out that, not only did Dunne and Pomerantz write resignation letters, they wrote so extensively about the slow-moving probe that the DA’s office would not turn over copies of their letters.

In response to a public records request under New York’s Freedom of Information Law, the DA’s office told The Daily Beast that the letters would reveal too much information.
:snippity:
https://news.yahoo.com/top-trump-prosec ... 42795.html
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tweet thread beginning here -

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump Is Guilty of ‘Numerous’ Felonies, Prosecutor Who Resigned Says
Mark F. Pomerantz, who had investigated the former president, left after the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, halted an effort to seek an indictment.

By William K. Rashbaum, Ben Protess and Jonah E. Bromwich
March 23, 2022 Updated 7:01 p.m. ET

One of the senior Manhattan prosecutors who investigated Donald J. Trump believed that the former president was “guilty of numerous felony violations” and that it was “a grave failure of justice” not to hold him accountable, according to a copy of his resignation letter.

The prosecutor, Mark F. Pomerantz, submitted his resignation last month after the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, abruptly stopped pursuing an indictment of Mr. Trump.

Mr. Pomerantz, 70, a prominent former federal prosecutor and white-collar defense lawyer who came out of retirement to work on the Trump investigation, resigned on the same day as Carey R. Dunne, another senior prosecutor leading the inquiry.

Mr. Pomerantz’s Feb. 23 letter, obtained by The New York Times, offers a personal account of his decision to resign and for the first time states explicitly his belief that the office could have convicted the former president. Mr. Bragg’s decision was “contrary to the public interest,” he wrote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/nyre ... rantz.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's depressing, but hardly a surprise that he's getting away with everything----again.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/tr ... -did-nyag/
Long before its namesake became president, the Trump Organization calculated the value of rent-stabilized units at more than $49.5 million—more than 66 times higher than the $750,000 that an outside appraiser believed them to be worth, New York’s top prosecutor alleged.

New York Attorney General Letitia James’s (D) office made that allegation in an eye-popping footnote of an appellate brief seeking to uphold a judge’s order for former President Donald Trump and two of his adult children to sit for deposition in her longstanding tax probe. The civil investigation, which has been running in tandem with a criminal one, has been looking into whether the Trump Organization fraudulently valued the company’s assets for tax benefits.

“So far, the investigation has uncovered significant evidence potentially indicating that, for more than a decade, these financial statements relied on misleading asset valuations and other misrepresentations to secure economic benefits—including loans, insurance coverage, and tax deductions—on terms more favorable than the true facts warranted,” the appellate brief filed in state court begins.

The allegation about the rent-stabilized units reflects the significant time span of the investigation. It is based on the Trump Organization’s statements between the years 2010 and 2012.

“Serious Lapses in the Trump Organization’s Document Preservation”

In 2019, the attorney general’s civil investigation began with congressional testimony by Trump’s former fixer Michael Cohen about alleged cooking of the books. Then-Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance (D) began his criminal investigation that same year. Years later, the worlds collided as James’s team started assisting Vance, who charged the Trump Organization and its former chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg last July.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”