Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

RVInit

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
RVInit

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I’ve never properly introduced myself in my own thread, and too tired to do it here. Just need to vent a bit.

Mom lost her balance week before last and ended up having to have hip surgery. She also has a fractured left arm as well. Her entire left side is affected and she’s having a really rough time of it.

I’ve been spending the better part of every day sitting with her, encouraging her with her therapy and exercises and helping feed her because she’s not sitting up high enough to see the plate to feed herself and can’t cut anything as she has only one arm to use. She’s completely blind in one eye and has so-so vision in the other, which will also be gone at some point.

She’s not draining me entirely today, which is a rare blessing. Yesterday afternoon I pretty much lost it with the nursing staff, who we’re giving us the run around as to what time and what is the plan for giving my mother her dose of pain medication, which was overdue and much needed. Her nurse had come in the room and said yes it’s time, I’ll be right back. 15 minutes later after listening to my mother cry and ask me where is she with the meds I went out into the hall and eventually found the nurse who told me she didn’t have the medication in her cart and didn’t have a code for the medication storage room. So I asked her what is your plan to solve the problem? My mother is overdue, you said you would be right back and I find you 20 minutes later with the cart down a different hallway taking care of other patients. We’re you planning to tell my mother she was going to have to wait? Did you have a plan for how to get her medication at some point? I was freaking livid. Is it really too much to ask for common human decency?

I asked what time can my mother expect to get her medication. After not getting an answer I found another nurse and after much attempt at calmly asking finally had to resort to saying I will not leave you until you have meds in hand and in her room.
This was one day after we had an issue with nursing assistants who cannot remember that they can’t grab my mother by her broken arm every time they have to change her brief. I have to remind them every single time they change her when I’m here. She had an incident overnight Friday night bad enough that the Nursing Director came in on her day off to talk to the staff about how to care for my mom and then ask us if we wanted to make a police report. I declined the police report for reasons I don’t want to share but insisted that the problem be solved and that I should not have to tell them not to manhandle a fractured arm that is clearly in a sling.

Sorry. Finished with rant.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Patagoniagirl

Re: RVInit

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Oh, RV. Can you imagine if you weren't able to be there??!? It's maddening the pain and indignity your mother and other elderly patients have to endure. I leaned long ago (unfortunately) that very ill or elderly patients need a patient advocate, like you, or a trusted friend. Many unnecessary deaths happen because of medical mistakes. Just the indignity and lack of control. Whether lack of staffing or 12- hour shift, we do not have the greatest healthcare system in the world. By far.

There are very few things worse than watching a loved one suffer. I am so glad you are able to be with her. It's exhausting, both physically and emotionally. Both my love and good thoughts are with you and your mother. Document everything.
June bug

Post by June bug »

What PG said. And :bighug: :bighug:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Sorry for what you and you mum are going through. :bighug: :bighug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

:bighug: :grouphug: :bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

All of the above👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆.

I send you thoughts of strength and compassion in your noble quest to ensure your mother receives PROPER medical care and pain management!💕💖
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oh honey. I’m so sorry. :bighug:

Mr’s grandma was in a nursing home where another resident who had Alzheimer’s terrorized everyone within reach. She’d race up to someone in her wheelchair, grab the nearest available skin and TWIST, hard. Cheeks really hurt. The staff seemed incapable of stopping her and after a while Grandma was covered in bruises. One day someone brought Grandma a rolling pin. After the first whack the staff took it away from her but the meanie never bothered her again.

A rolling pin wouldn’t work for your mom, duh, but what can she brandish to get them working for her again? Candy?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Thanks to all for the support. Also a special thanks to portia, who has been so wonderful about listening to my ordeal over the phone. :bighug: And :lovestruck: to all.

I’m getting a bit of a break this afternoon, my doctor’s office is trying to see all the Thursday and Friday appointments today and tomorrow in case the hurricane changes trajectory and impacts their office.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I got to this late, but sending hugs and love. :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Been there; done that. It's very frustrating. Best of luck. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

That's awful RV. Just awful. I'm glad you are there for your mother. I hope things turn around and improve for her.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I just saw this and am so sorry for what you and your mom are dealing with! :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”