Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Danraft

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by Danraft »

Mush is successful.

But he will never be president.

He isn’t eligible.

Elon Musk would otherwise be the 2nd African American president.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Suranis wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:47 pm It does not matter what you or I think. HE considers himself a failure. That's what drives him.
That is an absurd statement. You misrepresent a baseless assertion as fact to claim that other opinions are invalid. Very Trumpist!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I don't think it's absurd. I agree with the mousie. Trump sees himself as a loser, despite the things he has managed to accomplish. This is the reason he's so incredibly sensitive about any criticism, and why he absolutely surrounds himself with toadies and people who praise him.

Remember those cabinet meetings? He couldn't talk intelligently about any national policy, so he made them all tell him "You're not a loser, sir."

But inside his headbone, different story.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Judge won’t block monitor to oversee Trump Organization

November 9, 2022

NEW YORK) — A New York appellate court has declined, at least for now, to stay a judge’s order appointing an independent monitor to oversee former President Donald Trump’s family real estate firm.

Trump and the New York Attorney General’s office were supposed to begin submitting candidates for the monitor job this week.

The decision, issued Wednesday, said the Appellate Division’s First Department would reconsider the matter at a later time.

“The application for an interim stay is denied pending determination of the motion by a full bench,” the decision said.

Judge Arthur Engoron of State Supreme Court in Manhattan said the attorney general’s investigators had made a “comprehensive demonstration of persistent fraud” within the Trump Organization in a $250 million civil lawsuit.

Trump’s attorneys said the monitor was the state’s attempt to “seize control” of his business but the judge said the monitor’s job is to be narrow, overseeing the production of Trump’s statements of financial condition and their dissemination to third parties.

https://wutqfm.com/judge-wont-block-mon ... anization/
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:05 am I don't think it's absurd. I agree with the mousie. Trump sees himself as a loser, despite the things he has managed to accomplish. This is the reason he's so incredibly sensitive about any criticism, and why he absolutely surrounds himself with toadies and people who praise him.

Remember those cabinet meetings? He couldn't talk intelligently about any national policy, so he made them all tell him "You're not a loser, sir."

But inside his headbone, different story.
I don't think that he sees himself as a loser. I think that, despite all his bluster and bragging, he is insecure about himself and is absolutely terrified of being a loser, although he would never admit it, even to himself. I think that maybe his bragging about being the greatest president/businessman/entertainer/etc. of all time is mostly targeted at himself. I think that he is so insecure that he needs constant reminders of how great he is.

Maybe, if he ever has moments of honest introspection (I doubt it), he may ask himself "Am I a loser?". But, I'm sure that the answer is always "No".
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:59 am
:snippity:
Trump’s attorneys said the monitor was the state’s attempt to “seize control” of his business but the judge said the monitor’s job is to be narrow, overseeing the production of Trump’s statements of financial condition and their dissemination to third parties.

https://wutqfm.com/judge-wont-block-mon ... anization/
:thumbsup: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That's gonna be interesting.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status ... 2410892288
Frank G. Runyeon
@frankrunyeon

Exclusive: @Law360 was the only press to witness @Trumparguments today for this failed emergency application to stop the monitorship from going into effect (as soon as next week). Some quotes

When Trump atty Chris Kise argued “no indication” of fraud.

“How about the size of the apartment?" Justice Mazzarelli shot back, referring to how Trump allegedly inflated the size of his own apartment.

"11,000 versus 30,000? That's a stretch," judge said.

Trump atty Chris Kise cited a First Dept case to support its argument that the AG doesn’t have standing to intervene in private financial transactions.

“I'm sure you're aware that I dissented in that case — vigorously," the judge said.

Kise said he had not been aware.

Trump argued there’s no public interest to be served by the @NewYorkStateAG’s intervention in a case where "corporate titans" could do their own due diligence.

“There's always an exception to due diligence," the judge commented, "if the other party is seeking to defraud."

Ivanka Trump’s lawyer argued the injunction makes her look like a “persistent fraudster” and that she will suffer severe damage to her reputation if she’s not removed from the order (+ no claims *she* committed fraud + she resigned 5 yrs ago from Trump Org).
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status ... 543927296
Frank G. Runyeon
@frankrunyeon

We have a match!

Fmr US Judge Barbara S. Jones of @BracewellLaw is a pick for monitor from both @Trump & @NewYorkStateAG
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I was looking at the docket and noticed that on November 8 Ivanka Trump's lawyers filed a motion for the admission pro hac vice of Michael Kellogg of Kellogg, Hansen, Todd, Figel & Frederick PLLC as additional counsel for her.

Kellogg Hansen is a high-powered litigation boutique located in D.C. Very good and very expensive.

:popcorn:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

what does this mean?
much ado

Post by much ado »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:50 pm what does this mean?
She knows more about hiring a competent attorney than her Dad?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

much ado wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:53 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:50 pm what does this mean?
She knows more about hiring a competent attorney than her Dad?
And/or a competent attorney is more willing to work with her than with him.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

All of the above.

Plus maybe she has to reach into her own pocket for the breathtaking cost of hiring a big team from a fancy firm.

And most of all, possibly she's experiencing a sickening realization of how big her risk of liability is. The consequences of liability could include an order "permanently barring ... [her] from serving as director or officer of any business entity chartered or registered in New York."

Note the phrase "chartered or registered." Most big businesses, and countless small ones, are chartered in Delaware, by far the most popular state for incorporation. With a few exceptions, a corporation doesn't need to be chartered in New York State to do business in New York. But it does need to be registered to do business in New York. Such an order could cramp any ambitions she may have to figure as an important "femme d'affaires" in the years to come.

As I think I've mentioned before, there's some doubt whether the laws under which this action is brought were intended to reach as far as the attorney general is pushing them, and substantial doubt that the court would award every bit of the relief being sought by the attorney general.

But the evidence against her father and his company is strong, and the New York courts seem to be sick of his shit. Ivanka can't assume that her father will prevail and save her bacon. To the contrary, she's at risk of being swept down the tubes along with him. She needs aggressive representation to make the case that much of the evidence against Trump doesn't apply to her.

I only glanced at the papers on the motion for a stay pending appeal, but I did see that her lawyers argued that the trial court had made her subject to the preliminary injunction, even though she was not one of the parties against whom the attorney general had sought the injunction. If true, that could be a reasonably strong argument.

It didn't work, at least not at this preliminary stage; her separate motion for a stay was denied along with her father's.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

chancery wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:12 pm All of the above.

Note the phrase "chartered or registered." Most big businesses, and countless small ones, are chartered in Delaware, by far the most popular state for incorporation. With a few exceptions, a corporation doesn't need to be chartered in New York State to do business in New York. But it does need to be registered to do business in New York. Such an order could cramp any ambitions she may have to figure as an important "femme d'affaires" in the years to come.
Yeah, hard to run a fashion empire that can't operate anywhere near the Fashion District, amirite?

chancery wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:12 pm But the evidence against her father and his company is strong, and the New York courts seem to be sick of his shit. Ivanka can't assume that her father will prevail and save her bacon. To the contrary, she's at risk of being swept down the tubes along with him. She needs aggressive representation to make the case that much of the evidence against Trump doesn't apply to her.
And she's doing it with a scalpel's precision, effectively -- doing so without looking like she is, in turn, throwing Daddy under the bus.

This has got to be one of those weeks that she actually envies Tiffany a little bit, don't you think?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Afraid she has to relabel her stock to "Rome, Paris, London, New York" before it leaves the warehouse in China :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, that's gonna make woodworker very sad. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
Karma has a great sense of humor!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bob

Post by bob »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:25 pm Karma has a great sense of humor!
I wonder if it was a shipping clerk with a sense of humor who seemed the two cases related. Doubtful but possible.
Image ImageImage
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

But, all my Federal cases go to Judge Cannon. It's not fair!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Great thread on what's going on today in court. Highly recommend you read it.

The first part of the thread. Go to the thread to read the rest.

------
Good morning to my quickly growing readership!

I'm back in court, this time at Manhattan's civil courthouse.

We'll be getting updates on the New York AG's $250 million fraud lawsuit against the Trump Organization.

The judge in this case is extremely tough on the company.

-----

The company is trying to dismiss the complaint.

Yesterday, the Trump Org filed docs claiming the lawsuit is "clumsily attempting to recharacterize
decades of business transactions between highly sophisticated parties."

Justice Arthur F. Engoron is addressing this now.

------

Justice Engoron has no chill. Zero. None.

"I think it was Yogi Berra who said, It's déjà vu all over again.'"

He was totally disappointed by the Trump Org's attempt to dismiss the case, because it raised the same issues it made years ago while trying to block the investigation.

-----

We're guns blazing right from the start. The judge is blasting the Trump Org for wasting everyone's time.

And the company's lawyer, Alina Habba, is attacking the judge personally.

-----

Engoron: "I ruled on all these issues. It seems to me the facts are the same, the laws are the same, the parties are the same. I don't know why I and my staff—not to mention the attorney generals' staff—need to do this all over again. It's like jumping through the same hoops."

------

Habba shoots back: "We will litigate this fully, as we are entitled to.

"It sounds like we are always in a predetermined situation where you will rule against us. Quite honestly, it's unconstitutional. It's improper."

-----

Engoron: "You can't keep making the same arguments after you've already lost."

This New York judge is tired of the Trump Org dodging subpoenas, failing to turn over evidence, and casting this as a political witch hunt. He is done.

-----

Judge: "I just think you're wasting time and resources.

Habba: "I think, your honor, that is the first time you say something I agree with."

-----

Habba: It sounds like your determination is already made... it seems like you are already ready to rule against us.

Engoron: I am following the law and the facts as best as I understand them. You've already tried to kick the case away from me.

-----

The court is setting deadlines, and it looks like they want this case chugging along through the first half of 2023.

AG Letitia James wants a trial next year, which is long before the 2024 presidential election.
------

Go to the thread to read the rest.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thank you!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump rebuffed by judge in New York fraud lawsuit, trial date set

By Karen Freifeld and Jonathan Stempel
November 22, 20228:07 PM GMT+1Last Updated 3 hours ago

NEW YORK, Nov 22 (Reuters) - A New York judge has scheduled an October 2023 trial for former U.S. President Donald Trump, three of his adult children and the Trump Organization in a lawsuit brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James accusing them of fraudulently overvaluing the real estate company's assets and Trump's net worth.

Justice Arthur Engoron of the state Supreme Court in Manhattan set the trial date during a contentious hearing on Tuesday following motions by the Trumps the night before to have the civil lawsuit dismissed.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trump-reb ... 022-11-22/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

“Distancing herself”: Ivanka gets “special exemption” from court-ordered monitor overseeing Trumps
Trump's daughter is the only person to seek and receive a carve-out in NY AG fraud lawsuit

By AREEBA SHAH Staff Writer
PUBLISHED DECEMBER 7, 2022 12:44PM (EST)

Ivanka Trump has wriggled her way out of a court order appointing a special monitor to oversee the finances of the Trump Organization and individuals connected to the company, according to The Daily Beast.

The agreement allows Ivanka Trump to keep her own business interests away from the gaze of a retired federal judge who is tasked with keeping an eye on the Trump Organization's transactions to ensure it doesn't commit any more alleged fraud.

The company was barred from transferring or disposing of material without giving advance notice to the court and New York Attorney General Letitia James' office after James sounded the alarm over a Trump scheme to form a "Trump Organization II" after she filed a $250 million fraud lawsuit against the Trump family and company.

https://www.salon.com/2022/12/07/distan ... verseeing/
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

FINALLY.
frivolous.jpg
frivolous.jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 939 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”