State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Rolodex

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by Rolodex »

The best thing would be for the "Trump" "brand" to become worthless. He always uses that as a main part of his "worth" when talking about how rich he is. It's true that brand name does have a value when you're doing financial statements (although how you'd monetize that is a mystery to me), but I gotta think his is taking a hit. Maybe it will hit its nadir before the election. Idk how people around the world feel...staying in a "Trump" branded hotel can't have the same cachet it once did. I'm sure oligarchs and mob folks don't care what name is slapped on the building of a property they use to park money.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It IS largely worthless. The fact that he talks it up is meaningless. He would be loudly talking it up if bank managers were laughing in his ear 5 minutes before. He would still be boasting about how wealthy he is if he was on the street outside Marry Lardo with his luggage all around him, and his staff shouting at him that they haven't been paid in a month.

Just because he boasts about it does not mean there is any wealth there.
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I think that a trump-branded hotel screams “Park it here!”
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:21 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:57 pm of course you would change the name to..
The Former Guy Tower ;)
or Turnip Tower.
Can't we just rename it the Tish Mahal?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

IMG_2337.jpg
IMG_2337.jpg (159.67 KiB) Viewed 815 times

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

LOVE IT!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I just can't quit twitter.

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:23 am I think that a trump-branded hotel screams “Park it here!”
to me it screams “Get your bedbugs here!”
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

why not both.jpg
why not both.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 695 times

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Uninformed wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:10 am So as to not over-anticipate the outcome of the upcoming deadline for payment to pause enforcement action, can anyone confirm that the payment must be made by the end of today (Sunday 24th March) not by the end of (working?) day tomorrow?
In general, unless specified otherwise, court deadlines occurring on a non-work day (i.e., weekends and holidays) automatically are bumped to the next working day.

So, for example, a court deadline for today would not kick in until COB tomorrow (Monday).
Image ImageImage
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Thanks Bob.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

It's almost Monday!!! Everyone have their seatbelts at hand and ready to fasten for a wild ride? :waiting:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Kendra wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:13 pm It's almost Monday!!! Everyone have their seatbelts at hand and ready to fasten for a wild ride? :waiting:
What? OH NO!!!

Hic sunt dracones
much ado

Post by much ado »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:12 am :confuzzled: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Trump claims he has $500 million in cash, undercutting lawyers' claims on bond money

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... rcna144614
Former President Donald Trump claimed early Friday morning that he has "almost" $500 million in cash, undercutting his lawyers' claims that he would not be able to comply with the $464 million judgment against him and his co-defendants in the civil fraud case brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James.
Here's some follow-up on this matter posted by Volkonski, an article in The Guardian. I've noticed that Trump is increasingly called "Idiot Trump" in news articles, a trend I'd like to see continue.

Trump claims to have ‘almost $500m in cash’ despite inability to pay bond
Donald Trump claimed on Friday to have at his disposal “almost $500m in cash”, despite having complained about a $454m bond his lawyers say he cannot pay as he appeals a New York civil fraud judgment.

In an all-capitals, early morning post to his Truth Social platform, the former president said: “Through hard work, talent, and luck, I currently have almost $500m in cash, a substantial amount of which I intended to use in my campaign for president.”

The judge in his New York fraud case knew this, Trump claimed, and therefore came up with a penalty which, with interest, amounts to around $454m.

Trump’s lawyers have said it is a “practical impossibility” for Trump to meet that bond by its 25 March deadline. In turn, the New York state attorney general, Letitia James, reportedly took steps towards seizing Trump-owned properties.

One legal analyst called Trump’s Friday morning rant “the dumbest thing he could possibly have done”.

“That is a direct admission by him that he has the money,” Nick Akerman, a former assistant US attorney in the southern district of New York who was a prosecutor during the Watergate scandal that brought down Richard Nixon, told CNN.

“Keep in mind, even with this operating money or cash that he supposedly has, if he doesn’t pony up and put up a bond, Letitia James is going to be able to go in and basically put restraining orders on all of his bank accounts. Everything that relates to him and all of that money is going to be tied up and frozen.

“So if he’s really got that money, he’s got to put it up.”
This is a fatal admission that devastates any attempt to get an appeals court to stay the seizing of his assets pending appeal. Unbelievably idiotic, and probably further evidence of dementia.

Somebody was lying. Tomorrow's events may reveal who.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: the claim is that the former guy has all that money for his campaign. May it mean that his PACs and SUPERPACs have that kind of money ready to spen on the campain for Teh Donald, but it is not in his name for the bond. Could he technically loan himself such moneys to pay the bond (and then lose it)?
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:48 pm :snippity: Could he technically loan himself such moneys to pay the bond (and then lose it)?
:confuzzled: I would think he could escrow the money if it is in cash if that's what you mean. Not gonna happen. :fingerwag:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Regarding Trump’s claims that he has the cash, despite his lawyers previously saying he does not: Kirschner believes 1 – the lawyers are telling the truth; trump does not have the money. 2 – Trump is telling the truth; he does have the money. His lawyers are lying. (not likely). and 3– they’re both telling the truth. At the time his attorneys made the statement, that was the truth. But soon afterwards, somebody, perhaps Putin, perhaps Saudi Arabia, gave him the money. I guess we’ll learn tomorrow.

ImageImageImage x4
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Another possibility - they’re both telling the truth (sort of), because when trump says he “has” the money, he means he has access to PAC money for his campaign.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Another possibility: Turnip transferred every cent he and other people have into his personal account for 10 minutes, so he could make that statement and technically not lie.

Which wold be insane, but I repeat myself.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Doesn't sound like he's coming up with the money today
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

He said in 2015/16 that he wouldn't owe anything to anyone because he's so rich he'd self-fund his campaign. I'm pretty sure he did not. Am I remembering correctly?
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Appeals court lets Trump off the hook: bond lowered to $175 million. (MSNBC)
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Relevant verbiage....

It is ordered that the motion is granted to the extent of staying enforcement of
those portions of the Judgment (1) ordering disgorgement to the Attorney General of
$464,576,230.62, conditioned on defendants-appellants posting, within ten (10) days of
the date of this order, an undertaking in the amount of $175 million dollars; (2)
permanently barring defendants Weisselberg and McConney from serving in the
financial control function of any New York corporation or similar business entity; (3)
barring defendants Donald J. Trump, Weisselberg and McConney from serving as an
officer or director of any New York corporation for three years; (4) barring defendant
Donald J. Trump and the corporate defendants from applying for loans from New York
financial institutions for three years; and (5) barring defendants Donald Trump, Jr. and
Eric Trump from serving as an officer or director of any New York corporation in New
York for two years. The aforesaid stay is conditioned on defendants-appellants
perfecting the appeals for the September 2024 Term of this Court. The motion is
otherwise denied, including to the extent it seeks a stay of enforcement of portions of the
judgment (1) extending and enhancing the role of the Monitor and (2) directing the
installation of an Independent Director of Compliance.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”