Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Long Haul Covid

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Long Haul Covid

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

You are certainly never boring, and I hope all my fellow Fogbow people HEAL REAL SOON. :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Off Topic
:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Written by someone whose credentials would lead one to know what he is talking about:
Founder and currently Executive Editor of Science-Based Medicine Steven Novella, MD is an academic clinical neurologist at the Yale University School of Medicine.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/update-on-long-covid/
The technical term for long COVID is post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC). These are any of a long list of symptoms that persist after the acute infection has completely resolved. The symptoms are an indication that COVID is a systemic infection, not just a pulmonary infection. The largest study to date of PASC showed:
Among COVID-19 survivors (mean [SD] age: 46.3 [19.8], 55.6% female), 57.00% had one or more long-COVID feature recorded during the whole 6-month period (i.e., including the acute phase), and 36.55% between 3 and 6 months. The incidence of each feature was: abnormal breathing (18.71% in the 1- to 180-day period; 7.94% in the 90- to180-day period), fatigue/malaise (12.82%; 5.87%), chest/throat pain (12.60%; 5.71%), headache (8.67%; 4.63%), other pain (11.60%; 7.19%), abdominal symptoms (15.58%; 8.29%), myalgia (3.24%; 1.54%), cognitive symptoms (7.88%; 3.95%), and anxiety/depression (22.82%; 15.49%).
TLDR: Long-haul COVID is a real thing and it really sucks. The scariest part for me is that they can see changes on brain scans conducted before after contracting COVID.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Lani- :lovestruck: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

FiveAcres wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:30 am Written by someone whose credentials would lead one to know what he is talking about:
Founder and currently Executive Editor of Science-Based Medicine Steven Novella, MD is an academic clinical neurologist at the Yale University School of Medicine.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/update-on-long-covid/
The technical term for long COVID is post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC). These are any of a long list of symptoms that persist after the acute infection has completely resolved. The symptoms are an indication that COVID is a systemic infection, not just a pulmonary infection. The largest study to date of PASC showed:
Among COVID-19 survivors (mean [SD] age: 46.3 [19.8], 55.6% female), 57.00% had one or more long-COVID feature recorded during the whole 6-month period (i.e., including the acute phase), and 36.55% between 3 and 6 months. The incidence of each feature was: abnormal breathing (18.71% in the 1- to 180-day period; 7.94% in the 90- to180-day period), fatigue/malaise (12.82%; 5.87%), chest/throat pain (12.60%; 5.71%), headache (8.67%; 4.63%), other pain (11.60%; 7.19%), abdominal symptoms (15.58%; 8.29%), myalgia (3.24%; 1.54%), cognitive symptoms (7.88%; 3.95%), and anxiety/depression (22.82%; 15.49%).
TLDR: Long-haul COVID is a real thing and it really sucks. The scariest part for me is that they can see changes on brain scans conducted before after contracting COVID.
That's very informative. It's not yet known if the newer variants are causing similar damage.
Hidden Content
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

It's not known yet if omicron can cause long covid. Too new. Meanwhile, it's now known that long haul can last 2 years and likely may continue. The Brits acknowledged it early in the pandemic, likely because of universal medical care data. GB is still ahead of other countries for information about long covid.

'I've had long Covid for two years now'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60708123
It seems remarkable that a viral infection, even one that was brief and mild, can lead to debilitating symptoms that, for some people, can last for years.

There is no single unifying cause of all long Covid, but scientists are focusing on four main areas:

Blood-clots and damage to small blood vessels (micro-clotting)
A disturbed immune system
People are still infected with the coronavirus
Impaired metabolism
The list of symptoms is 200 and may increase further.

Meanwhile, National Geographic, surprisingly, has an article about recovery from covid. In the US, you go back to work when people beat the virus. But no recovery time. It suggests that there should be a period of convalescence.

Can this 19th-century health practice help with long COVID?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... n_20220408
Doctors used to swear by the slow recovery period known as convalescence. Some experts say embracing it again could offer benefits for an array of long-term illnesses and injuries.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm going to Honolulu again next week.
Hidden Content
I'm fine being a lab rat, but I really want more help.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I read your posts with great interest, Lani. I hope your willingness to be poked and prodded leads to useful treatments for you.

So far, my long haul stuff isn’t too bad. I was do hate feeling like I need to explain myself when I’m so fatigued I can’t get out of bed, why my hair is suddenly everywhere but on my head. Some days vision is affected, everything is blurry even with clean glasses, but I haven’t had chest or joint pain, or headaches. Sleep disruption yea but I had that before. It’s actually better since COVID. Digestive issues are starting to show up. Maybe my brain has shrunk but honestly, how could one tell? Ive always been this way. :lol:

I think got off relatively lightly. With Medicare we’ve not paid more than 5,000 for a four night hospital stay.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:36 pm:bighug:
:( :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As far as I know, I have never had Covid, but what scares me most is the possibility of long-haul. I just yesterday took my first Covid test, but it was negative, so I just have my first miserable cold since Covid started. My son-in-law came down with a bad cold a few weeks ago. He tested negative, so it was a cold, but he was here for my birthday. My son caught it and is still dealing with it. Then my husband came down with it. I thought I had managed to escape it, but woke up on Sunday with a scratchy throat, which just went on from there. Since I had been out last week, though, I tested to be sure and was very relieved that it was negative. Most of the relief was not having to fear long-haul problems.

It is keeping me from getting my second booster, though. Colds are always nasty for me, as I have lung damage from an auto-immune disease. Also, I'm trying to deal with a family emergency at the same time, and feel pretty useless.
Lani

Post by Lani »

After returning from all the tests in Honolulu, I became sick. Which somewhat freaked me out. But after 3 home tests, it's not covid.

I tried to reach my doctor who specializes in long covid, but couldn't reach her. I don't know what is going on, but it's not good. I tried make appointments, etc., on line, but I couldn't schedule an appointment. I left some phone messages, but was very sick, so maybe I made no sense.

I 'm having a daily cycle of temperature from 97 to 102 with lots of pain. Plus my long covid problems.

Finally, I was called by doctors on two other islands. I was told to go to urgent care, which I did. But my island urgent care doesn't provide PCR testing and doesn't have a pharmacy. So there was no reason for me to drive to the clinic, as I was told AFTER I arrived at the clinic. (exhausted) And there was a 2 hour wait for no reason for me to have dragged myself there since it couldn't provide care for me.

Nice thing about Kauai - although the clinic couldn't help me, they called me several times to make sure I arrived home safely. :lovestruck:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Take care, Lani!

:bighug: :heart:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yikes, get well Lani!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I hope you figure out what's going on and can get it resolved! That's nice that the urgent care called to follow up on you :) Is there anywhere else you can go to get urgent care, or would you have to leave the island?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug: How utterly frustrating. Feel better soon, Lani. Easier said than done, of course.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

An article on neurological long haul Covid
Full article available at link.
COVID-19 is primarily known as a respiratory disease caused by SARS-CoV-2. However, neurological symptoms such as memory loss, sensory confusion, severe headaches, and even stroke are reported in up to 30% of cases and can persist even after the infection is over (long COVID). These neurological symptoms are thought to be produced by the virus infecting the central nervous system, however we don’t understand the molecular mechanisms triggering them. The neurological effects of COVID-19 share similarities to neurodegenerative diseases in which the presence of cytotoxic aggregated amyloid protein or peptides is a common feature. Following the hypothesis that some neurological symptoms of COVID-19 may also follow an amyloid etiology we identified two peptides from the SARS-CoV-2 proteome that self-assemble into amyloid assemblies. Furthermore, these amyloids were shown to be highly toxic to neuronal cells. We suggest that cytotoxic aggregates of SARS-CoV-2 proteins may trigger neurological symptoms in COVID-19.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Just because I know still have an interest and might have long haul Covid…
Important pre-print now out in cell. Authors from Stanford, Yale, Mount Sinai, +. The authors found elevated CCL11 levels in people suffering from long COVID with cognitive symptoms compared to those with no cognitive symptoms:

Mild respiratory COVID can cause multi-lineage neural cell and myelin dysregulation

SUMMARY

COVID survivors frequently experience lingering neurological symptoms that resemble cancer therapy-related cognitive impairment, a syndrome for which white-matter microglial reactivity and consequent neural dysregulation is central. Here, we explored the neurobiological effects of respiratory SARS-CoV-2 infection and found white-matter-selective microglial reactivity in mice and humans. Following mild respiratory COVID in mice, persistently impaired hippocampal neurogenesis, decreased oligodendrocytes and myelin loss were evident together with elevated CSF cytokines/chemokines including CCL11. Systemic CCL11 administration specifically caused hippocampal microglial reactivity and impaired neurogenesis. Concordantly, humans with lasting cognitive symptoms post-COVID exhibit elevated CCL11 levels. Compared to SARS-CoV-2, mild respiratory influenza in mice caused similar patterns of white matter-selective microglial reactivity, oligodendrocyte loss, impaired neurogenesis and elevated CCL11 at early timepoints, but after influenza only elevated CCL11 and hippocampal pathology persisted. These findings illustrate similar neuropathophysiology after cancer therapy and respiratory SARS-CoV-2 infection which may contribute to cognitive impairment following even mild COVID.
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S00 ... 0713-9#%20
Lani

Post by Lani »

Should You Take Antihistamines for Long COVID Symptoms?
https://ritms.rutgers.edu/news/should-y ... -symptoms/
Long COVID is a health condition that’s puzzled patients and doctors for months. And, while people can agree that this is a thing, a proper treatment for the condition has been tough to come by. Now, a new case report has suggested that there may be an easily accessible solution for some symptoms caused by long COVID: antihistamines. The case report, which was published in The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, details how two women with long COVID took over-the-counter antihistamines and found out by accident that it seemed to improve their long COVID symptoms. While it’s small, the study is raising a lot of questions about the role of antihistamines in treating COVID-19. Here’s what you need to know.
More info: https://www.prevention.com/health/a3912 ... -symptoms/

Not much info yet, but daily benadryl isn't dangerous. Picking up benadryl tomorrow,
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Claritin helped my chemo side effects tremendously. 4 the night before, 4 the morning of, then 2 a day for a week. The difference with and without was obvious. It's surprising how many different ailments respond to antihistamines.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

When I was doing transcription, a lot of doctors recommended Benadryl to help insomniacs, rather than specialized, and addictive, sleeping aids.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Definitely worth a try. Antihistamines block a component of the immune system, and some of the issues with Long Covid are due to a misbehaving immune system, so an over-the-counter antihistamine might do some good, but is very unlikely to do any harm.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”