Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Long Haul Covid

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Sam the Centipede

Re: Long Haul Covid

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Just spotted this from a week or two back, in The Guardian: Could microclots help explain the mystery of long Covid?

The title is a fair summary of the article. The author is a researcher at a university in South Africa. She suggests that microscopic blood clots could be a key component in (some? most?) cases of Long Covid. From the start it has been clear that SARS-CoV-2 can cause severe or mild blood clotting, and also that it can mess up the immune system's control signals and hence cause aberrant responses. Of course, blood clotting is a function of the immune system - the immune system ties in damage repair with its headline role in fighting infection.

It's worth a read for those who are interested. It supports my prediction that the importance of Long Covid will lead to many new insights, also improving treatments for other chronic conditions, such as CFS/ME.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... -longterm/
Five months after being infected with the coronavirus, Nicole Murphy’s pulse rate is going berserk. Normally in the 70s, which is ideal, it has been jumping to 160, 170 and sometimes 210 beats per minute even when she is at rest — putting her at risk of a heart attack, heart failure or stroke.

No one seems to be able to pinpoint why. She’s only 44, never had heart issues, and when a cardiologist near her hometown of Wellsville, Ohio, ran all of the standard tests, “he literally threw up his hands when he saw the results,” she recalled. Her blood pressure was perfect, there were no signs of clogged arteries, and her heart was expanding and contracting well.

Murphy’s boomeranging heart rate is one of a number of mysterious conditions afflicting Americans weeks or months after coronavirus infections that suggest the potential of a looming cardiac crisis.

A pivotal study that looked at health records of more than 153,000 U.S. veterans published this month in Nature Medicine found that their risk of cardiovascular disease of all types increased substantially in the year following infection, even when they had mild cases. The population studied was mostly White and male, but the patterns held even when the researchers analyzed women and people of color separately. When experts factor in the heart damage probably suffered by people who put off medical care, more sedentary lifestyles and eating changes, not to mention the stress of the pandemic, they estimate there may be millions of new onset cardiac cases related to the virus, plus a worsening of disease for many already affected.
I have a friend, fully vaxxed, who is going through this right now.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve had a couple of really short episodes of that. Really short, less than 1 minute. Wonder if they’re indicators?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:19 pm I’ve had a couple of really short episodes of that. Really short, less than 1 minute. Wonder if they’re indicators?
I'm hardly an expert, but with my friend it was part and parcel of her case from the beginning.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm heading to the hospital tomorrow for some xrays. Blood work Monday. It's a good thing.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
She gave me a prescription to help with the pain, and it is, and ordered a gazillion tests. I don't know if anything can help me, but I'm grateful that I'm finally being heard.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sorry to bother you again, but there is evidence that Eptein-Barr is related to long covid.

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients sometimes experience long-term symptoms following resolution of acute disease, including fatigue, brain fog, and rashes. Collectively these have become known as long COVID. Our aim was to first determine long COVID prevalence in 185 randomly surveyed COVID-19 patients and, subsequently, to determine if there was an association between occurrence of long COVID symptoms and reactivation of Epstein–Barr virus (EBV) in 68 COVID-19 patients recruited from those surveyed. We found the prevalence of long COVID symptoms to be 30.3% (56/185), which included 4 initially asymptomatic COVID-19 patients who later developed long COVID symptoms. Next, we found that 66.7% (20/30) of long COVID subjects versus 10% (2/20) of control subjects in our primary study group were positive for EBV reactivation based on positive titers for EBV early antigen-diffuse (EA-D) IgG or EBV viral capsid antigen (VCA) IgM. The difference was significant (p < 0.001, Fisher’s exact test). A similar ratio was observed in a secondary group of 18 subjects 21–90 days after testing positive for COVID-19, indicating reactivation may occur soon after or concurrently with COVID-19 infection. These findings suggest that many long COVID symptoms may not be a direct result of the SARS-CoV-2 virus but may be the result of COVID-19 inflammation-induced EBV reactivation.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

This is one of those times when i really dont want to be right.

When the pandemic started, my neice was an early victim. She was pretty bad but recovered.

She complained about headaches, but they were hoping they would go away soon. They were more worried about her heart and kidneys.

I said then that this thing was going to put people into the medical system for years. American health system is not equiped to deal with this level of cronic shit.

(I dont' know her current state, havent talked to her for a while. Ill have to catch up.)
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani--

:bighug:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:52 am Lani--

(and Sugar, too. :bighug: )
Off Topic
I am barely keeping up with posts here, my job has gotten pretty intense lately, so not much free time. But I hope everyone is doing well. I'm totally stressed, overwhelmed with work and trying to get packed up to move closer to Mom.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RVInit wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:20 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:52 am Lani--

(and Sugar, too. :bighug: )
Off Topic
I am barely keeping up with posts here, my job has gotten pretty intense lately, so not much free time. But I hope everyone is doing well. I'm totally stressed, overwhelmed with work and trying to get packed up to move closer to Mom.
RVInit

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

While I don’t want to live where you live, at times I wish I were closer to all y’all are physically to be able yo do more than sends tots and pears when you need help. :bighug:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Interesting meeting yesterday about long covid, A doctor told me that the NIH is close to ignoring the condition. Limited money, limited doctors & researchers. When I looked up info in the US, yep. There are studies, but they are based on 2000-early 2021. They usually refer to inflammation as the cause and claim that long haul usually lasts 3 to 6 months. UK info is a bit different and more recent data. There are articles about people still having long covid 18 months later.

Newer research indicates that the bloodstream may spread the virus throughout the body, including the brain, ocular tissue, muscles, skin, peripheral nerves, as well as tissue in the cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, reproductive, endocrine and lymphoid systems. So some people, like me, initially believe that they are recovering, but then weird things happen over time with new or worsening problems. Other people fully recover, then get hit with long covid 3 or more months later. Tricky little virus, isn't it. Also, there are 200 symptoms of long covid. :shock:
Hidden Content
Sam the Centipede

Thanks Lani. I appreciate your updates on these issues.

Viruses are tricksy little beasts! As you say, they can spread around the body, and some (including SARS-CoV-2) can persist in places that the immune system has limited access to, such as the retina of the eyes, testes, brain.

The amount of science we read about viruses tends to mask (in my view) just how difficult they are to study and how many unknown unknowns remain.

I wonder if more cold etc. viruses persist undetected in one's body and reactivate when immunity has subsided? I occasionally had cold symptoms when fully locked down, seeing nobody, wearing masks, distancing when out, etc. I couldn't identify any opportunities I had had to be interested, yet I was sneezing. What did that virus come from?

"Long Covid" is a large umbrella! Even if the NIH isn't doing much, there is plenty of research happening worldwide, so knowledge can only grow.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'm just glad you found a little relief, Lani. :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Drugs that work!!! Hooray, Lani!!!!!! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Happy for you, Lani!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hidden Content
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:20 am Thanks Lani. I appreciate your updates on these issues.

Viruses are tricksy little beasts! As you say, they can spread around the body, and some (including SARS-CoV-2) can persist in places that the immune system has limited access to, such as the retina of the eyes, testes, brain.
:snippity:
I'm having trouble with double vision.

I planned to retire a few years ago, but with everything going on with me, I expect to retire sooner.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Lani wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:21 am
Hidden Content
It is amazing stuff. Glad it's working for you.
Sam the Centipede

Lani wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:49 am
Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:20 am Thanks Lani. I appreciate your updates on these issues.

:snippity:
I'm having trouble with double vision.

I planned to retire a few years ago, but with everything going on with me, I expect to retire sooner.
Sorry to hear that, double vision is annoying (my eyes don't coordinate but my brain copes because it's hard years to get used to it). If the virus has affected your oculomotor nerves (the one that rotate the eyeball), that would cause double vision.

I hope it gets better for you, and that it isn't too frustrating.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I started losing gobs of hair last week, apparently a long haul COVID effect. Supposedly it will start to grow back in a couple of months. In the grand scheme of things it’s no big deal but I’ve always had a lot of hair and it’s disconcerting to have it just leave my head for no discernable reason. Yes, I’m still vain after all these years.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'd also find that very upsetting, and I do not have lots of hair. It's thin and fine, so would probably be gone quickly.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Hidden Content
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Lani

Post by Lani »

Hidden Content

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”