Newspaper/Publication Subscriptions: Got one? Come'on Down!

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Newspaper/Publication Subscriptions: Got one? Come'on Down!

Post by Slim Cognito »

Several of us have subscriptions to WaPo and NYT and those gift links have been great! Gregg suggested a thread to keep track of who has what and keep links in an easy to find thread.

Too also, I thought of all the times I wished I had a link to an article not important enough to justify a new thread. If there's a story out there someone would like to read, they could make a request here.

Skeptic suggested using Member Only tags for the link. Sounds like a good idea, but people can decide that themselves.

I don't see a problem cross-posting links when appropriate, that can be left up to the poster but others can share their ideas.

If you want to add your name, or have a request, let us know. I'll add new names to this top post so people don't have to scroll.

Washington Post: Slim Cognito, MN Skeptic, Kendra, June Bug, Foggy, RTH, RVInit, Raison de Arizona, Ben-Prime, Kriselda, Pipistrelle, Azastan

New York Times: MN Skeptic, June Bug, RTH, RVInit, Raison de Arizona, Kriselda, Azastan

Daily Best - Ben-Prime but not sure if gift 'scripts are available.

Any other mags/newspaper 'scripts out there?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Newspaper/Publication Subscriptions: Got one? Come'on Down!

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, add me to Washington Post. Of all the MSM, they did the most to try to stop Trump from being elected in 2016. And it's the one he hates most. And I lived many years of my life in the suburbs, so it was the paper my parents read. My dad still subscribes to the paper.

I also subscribe to Wonkette, but I don't think anything there is paywalled.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I have New York Times.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I have WaPo and NYT digital editions.

From WaPo i still have a list of free monthly subscrptions to give away (iff they are still supported), needs different throwaway email addy for subsequent months.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Each Washington Post subscription has 10 gift links a month, isn't that right?

And yes, I am more than happy to use mine for the community, but I'm wondering how this is going to work.

For example, I keep odd hours :crazy: and even though I try to read everything on the forum, if someone says, "Hay Foogy, we need a gift link from WaPo to this new story about XYZ", it might could be 12 hours or more before I see it. I'm going back to Bathysphere or wherever it is to see my dad this month, then it could be days.

Which is an unacceptable delay. And I don't see any way around that. We can't put them in a pool and authorize someone to access them.

So I'm asking for suggestions on how to make this more accessible.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:25 am Each Washington Post subscription has 10 gift links a month, isn't that right?

And yes, I am more than happy to use mine for the community, but I'm wondering how this is going to work.

:snippity:
WaPo giftlinks are 30 days rollover, each timed to its use separetly. They expire after 30 days.

Do not use as reference to original article.

ps. i wonder if they will restrict giftlinks, i bet it was not intended to be shared on forums, but friends per email or social media.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm hoping the more the merrier will help with link abuse. Looks like we have lots of WaPo and NYT subscribers. And as suggested above by Skeptic, maybe put them under member brackets?

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:46 am... I wonder if they will restrict giftlinks, I bet it was not intended to be shared on forums, but friends per email or social media.
I thought about that. If I can post a gift link to Twitter or Faceplant where millions of people can use it to read an article for free, then I can post a gift link to Fogbow. True, our reach is broader due to the participation of other sentient species from across the Milky Way (ask Orlylicious), but it's the principle of the thing.
:boxing:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I have WaPo and NYT and willing to share gift links, too. Also.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Steve Bannon was indicted by the Stat of NY. See Washington Post articale below. I'm not sure if this is where we are sharing these, or in the main thread for the subject. Let me know if I need to move this.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
The precise details of the state case could not be confirmed Tuesday evening. But people familiar with the situation, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sealed indictment, suggested the prosecution will likely mirror aspects of the federal case in which Bannon was pardoned.

In that indictment, prosecutors alleged that Bannon and several others defrauded contributors to a private, $25 million fundraising effort, called “We Build the Wall,” taking funds that donors were told would support construction of a barrier along the U.S.-Mexico border.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

This is a great idea! If anybody has WSJ, they often have great stories and their paywall is the tightest. Somehow, with No Script, Ghostery, Ad Block and iObit, NYT & WaPo don't bring up paywalls. Thanks for creating this topic! Maybe put the gift links in member's only so they don't get overused.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

RVInit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:01 pm Steve Bannon was indicted by the Stat of NY. See Washington Post articale below. I'm not sure if this is where we are sharing these, or in the main thread for the subject. Let me know if I need to move this.
Hidden Content
The precise details of the state case could not be confirmed Tuesday evening. But people familiar with the situation, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sealed indictment, suggested the prosecution will likely mirror aspects of the federal case in which Bannon was pardoned.

In that indictment, prosecutors alleged that Bannon and several others defrauded contributors to a private, $25 million fundraising effort, called “We Build the Wall,” taking funds that donors were told would support construction of a barrier along the U.S.-Mexico border.
We're still working that out but I was thinking maybe putting the link here under cover but a notation could be made in the thread that the article refers to.

ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:17 pm We're still working that out but I was thinking maybe putting the link here under cover but a notation could be made in the thread that the article refers to.
:yeahthat:

Also, too, some of the folks I follow on Twitter will post gift links. I could see sharing those here too so that we aren't using up our own links. Again, under member only tags.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Hidden Content
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

And, if links are centralized, this would be a good spot for non-subscribers to request a link to an article which sounds interesting to them. If it's interesting to them, it will probably be interesting to other FogBowers. FogBowists? Foggians?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A few years ago I subscribed to a number of online newspapers. Besides NYT and WashPo, I also subscribe to the LATimes. Like raison de arizona's comment about the Arizona newspaper, I don't think the LATimes has gift subscriptions, but I could share entire articles under the members only tag.

And folks could ask in this thread if people do have access to subscribed articles from other sites when they see something interesting. I can't imagine that the majority of you have subscriptions to the Minneapolis StarTribune, for example, but the first thing I did when I graduated from college and moved to the Cities, was to get a subscription to them.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If anyone has a 'script to the KC Star, I'd appreciate it. There's a lot of local news from back home I'd be interested in reading. I don't know if they have gift links, though.

ImageImageImage x4
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Just to ask a silly question… is this legal?
Looks like organized crime to me.
:shrug: :shrug:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Danraft wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:33 pm Just to ask a silly question… is this legal?
Probably against TOS? Would need to review them. Shirely not an arrestable offense.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I have a self-funded NYT subscription and a government funded WaPo account. I am also a Daily Beast subscriber, but I don't know if we can gift those.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I've got WaPo and NYT
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Danraft wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:33 pm Just to ask a silly question… is this legal?
 ! Message from: Foggy
Yes, it's legal. See my post above. You can put a gift link on Faceplant, for god's sake. They WANT YOU TO put a link on Faceplant. Or Twitter. Or Fogbow.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
much ado

Post by much ado »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:59 pm
Foggy: Yes, it's legal. See my post above. You can put a gift link on Faceplant, for god's sake. They WANT YOU TO put a link on Faceplant. Or Twitter. Or Fogbow.

The New York Times goes into quite a bit of detail about why gift links work for them...
https://open.nytimes.com/a-new-way-to-s ... 66e8d7e620

The Washington Post has this about gift links...
https://helpcenter.washingtonpost.com/h ... t-Articles

Anyway, there is no doubt that posting gift links on Fogbow is encouraged by both these news organizations.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Seems as if a lot of us have subscriptions to NYT and WaPo...including me.

*And if anyone needs help looking up their rescue Arabian which came without papers or a name, I am a lifetime member of the Arabian Horse Association with lifetime access to Data Source.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

WaPo. I would subscribe to the NYT but no.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”